Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
How was that not called high? jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I don't think I've ever seen a player as cooked as Wright was in that last quarter, surely you put him on the bench when he can barely get above a walk, cost them multiple chances to win imo

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Commentator, I think “dream start” is a dramatic description of just beating GC at home.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Four points. I’ll take it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Thank god the Saints got over the line but it wasn't for want of trying to lose. Suns played very well and should have won.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Replace Crows Men with Crows Women thanks

:hmmyes:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Well at least I'll get two tips correct today...

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hahah bombers

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

At least all the losing teams have multiple teams to point to and say “at least we’re not those dickheads”

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
deathriding essendon in round one. feels good.

First to 100 wins.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Now that Richmond are a real football team, do Essendon now own the mantle of "most delusional fanbase"?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
On the bright side, really looking forward to hearing Woosha saying “obviously it was disappointing not to get the 4 points, but we got what we needed out of the game. What a great opportunity to learn about each other and learn to play together” *turns off tape recording he brings to every press conference*

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Well there's a big big sound...

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The ultimate punishment, the team song.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Testekill posted:

It seems insane to me that the Saints have persisted with him even though the club has not improved in the tiniest bit since 2014.

I know its an entire page late but I just wanted to quote a comment so loving stupid you could join David King in a "stupid poo poo I say" competition and win.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Essendon play 2 thursday and 4 friday night games, plus other marquee events.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

drunkill posted:

Essendon play 2 thursday and 4 friday night games, plus other marquee events.
So Essendon fans have inherited Richmond fans’ delusion and Essendon is also Carlton now.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Except Carlton can beat Essendon.

https://twitter.com/sirswampthing/status/1109711380498665473
https://twitter.com/EFCFinals/status/1109643508531544066

Edit:

Its happening!

https://twitter.com/madnordwhite/status/1109711281378885632

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 24, 2019

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Not sure we’re that delusional. I didn’t see many big grand predictions being made. A lot of pleading with media posts not to hype us up too much. A lot of our fans are very much still wrapped up in “bring back Hird!” To move on with other delusions.

But ugh. While it’s only round 1, you can’t really start a year off any worse. It doesn’t exactly scream “team that is bound to win a final at long last”.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

I thought pre season photos of Fyfe in the new freo jumper were some bizarre cross promotion with AFLX I didn't realise freo have actually changed the jumper to that. It looks poo poo and they should go back to the chevrons

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

snaeksikn posted:

I thought pre season photos of Fyfe in the new freo jumper were some bizarre cross promotion with AFLX I didn't realise freo have actually changed the jumper to that. It looks poo poo and they should go back to the chevrons

:yeah:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I’m not surprised at how the bombers went today. I was pretty optimistic until the JLT games when rumours started circulating that the new game plan was a) unsuited to 666 and b) easily picked apart by opposition sides, and they’ve pretty much had to go back to square one with just weeks until round one. A statement from the club a few weeks back urging “patience” seemed to back that up.

It’s pretty much all on the coaches now, they’ve had s dream run as far as recruiting goes over the last few years and I’ll be expecting a few heads to roll if they can’t turn it around.

Solemn Sloth posted:

The commentary just said Alan Richardson will become the second longest serving st kilda coach this year (assuming he sees it out) :psyduck:

They can’t afford to pay out the contract, otherwise he’d be long gone.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

snaeksikn posted:

it was just pointed out to me that it says "25" to celebrate their anniversary so i have changed my mind and they are good now

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah it is a one off 25th anniv jumper.

They'll also wear the OG green and purple anchor one later in the season.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hah, just heard a call out for sirswampthing on abc, apparently they follow you a bit.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
While one game is still going, someone put together a list of distance covered by teams this weekend. Giants ran 100km more than them in the same match and both teams are last on the list.

https://twitter.com/savmegafan/status/1109716210281672704

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I put a video of Ailish Considine kicking her goal from right behind her on my instagram stories and she liked it :kimchi:

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Sunday afternoons are for floggings

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

snaeksikn posted:

Sunday afternoons are for floggings

A one point win has never felt sweeter (Except in 1966).

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

drunkill posted:

While one game is still going, someone put together a list of distance covered by teams this weekend. Giants ran 100km more than them in the same match and both teams are last on the list.

https://twitter.com/savmegafan/status/1109716210281672704

Surely we aren't a 100km worse side than the next worst, which was the team we played on the same ground. Could believe 20-30km I'd say but 100km is an absolutely insane outlier.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Yep, that’s a statistical error the Dons ran 420km!!!!!!!!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Highest score for us in 2 and a half years :swanlake:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
In regards to the AFLW grand final I saw this post on a carlton supporters forum.

quote:

Round 1. Adelaide 1.11.17 to dogs 2.6.18 (reigning premiers)

This was Adelaides only loss for the year, and with kicking like that it shouldn't have been close to a loss.

From R2 onwards:

Not a single side got within 5 goals of Adelaide.
Not a single side managed to kick 7 goals against them.
Not a single side had managed to lead against them at any of the breaks during the game (1/4 time, half time, 3/4 time)
Not a single side has managed to have a lead against them of 2 or more goals all year.

That is, except Carlton.

In R2 against the Crows we lost by a mere 13 points.
We ended up kicking 7 goals against them.
We were leading against them at half time.
We were leading by 17 points late in the 3rd quarter.

...and we did that in a game which we didn't have Tayla Harris in the side and it was Bri Daveys second game back from an ACL
I mean the crows will probably win but Carlton have been much better the past 5 or so week. Inaccuracy is still a concern but we're playing a lot better now. We'll be in the game I reckon, much more than geelong was.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

https://twitter.com/m_1tch/status/1109712340746821632?s=21

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

drunkill posted:

In regards to the AFLW grand final I saw this post on a carlton supporters forum.

I mean the crows will probably win but Carlton have been much better the past 5 or so week. Inaccuracy is still a concern but we're playing a lot better now. We'll be in the game I reckon, much more than geelong was.

Yeah, that R2 game was a strange one. We were getting soundly beaten and then suddenly turned it on midway through the third quarter.

Mind you, yes Tayla Harris was out, but so was Chelsea Randall, and Randall has generally been able to blanket Harris.

The Crows have gone through a few changes since R2. Sarah Perkins was still playing as our key forward then. I think Stevie-Lee Thompson moved to the forward line in R2 but it really only seemed to work from R3. Danielle Ponter debuted in R2 as a defender, but has since moved forward and is doing well.

Still, not going to lie, Carlton is probably the team I'd least have liked us to be playing in the GF. Your midfield matches up fairly well on our and you have the forwards to capitalise on turnovers. Should be a good game!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-25/dons-face-offfield-reshuffle-after-fitness-boss-departs

quote:

ESSENDON'S fitness department is in for a revamp one week into the season following the departure of strength and conditioning manager Paul Turk.

Turk will this week leave the Bombers after eight years

Oof. Told them six weeks ago but still...

"Not my problem anymore"

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Round 1 2019 was the lowest average score for an opening round since 1965, and the lowest average score in any round since 2011.

Great job AFL, all those rule changes you made to :airquote: increase the scoring :airquote: worked as well as the AFLW conferences

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

Round 1 2019 was the lowest average score for an opening round since 1965, and the lowest average score in any round since 2011.

Great job AFL, all those rule changes you made to :airquote: increase the scoring :airquote: worked as well as the AFLW conferences

I heard someone on the ABC breakfast news or something say that Carlton making the AFLW GF completely invalidates all the complaints with the conference system.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

I heard someone on the ABC breakfast news or something say that Carlton making the AFLW GF completely invalidates all the complaints with the conference system.

A Carlton supporter presumably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Talking Footy has never been good but it's downright atrocious now.