Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Did they ever bring back vanilla Valve servers and/or get rid of that horrible loving matchmaking service that takes 20 minutes to dump you in a garbage map you never wanted to play? The day when they added it and made the only option to use it or play on poo poo like Skial is when I stopped playing TF2. I just want to play some Gorge or Harvest at my leisure :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Good grief, I have tons of hats/miscs/unusuals with spells on them. I wondered why I was suddenly being added again.

I had no idea that had become the new thing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Did they ever bring back vanilla Valve servers and/or get rid of that horrible loving matchmaking service that takes 20 minutes to dump you in a garbage map you never wanted to play? The day when they added it and made the only option to use it or play on poo poo like Skial is when I stopped playing TF2. I just want to play some Gorge or Harvest at my leisure :(

Casual matchmaking works pretty well. I'm rarely waiting more than 10-20 seconds and you choose which maps to search from. It's only an issue if you want to play like asteroid or hydro or arena or something like that that valve pretends doesn't exist anymore.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Started a match for the first time in I don't know how long and was immediately destroyed from above with a caber. Ah, memories :allears:

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Resting Lich Face posted:

Honestly I'd take the 10 key each offer and run with it. Spelled poo poo is a loving pain in the rear end to sell.

Moreover who is this guy making the 10 key offer? I wanna unload some spells.
While spells are a pain to sell that's still bad advice. If you yell "QS Spells" in a spell shark pool you'll get a lot of bites though.

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, that's what I managed to figure out.

Is this still valid?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=623808308

Anyone want to trade me for all my stuff? I'm definitely not using these items.

It's out of date and the pricing is all over the place due to a number of factors (spell popularity, hat popularity, spell/hat combo rarity). The prices have come down a bit, but they're more popular than ever because they're all fixed rarity items now. If you want to cash out with minimal effort, one thing you could do is make some auctions on scrap.tf because it forces spell resellers and collectors to research your item and bid against each other. Here's the minimum auction prices I'd suggest:

Footprints all-class misc: 5 keys each
Footprints misc: 4 keys each
Footprints hat: 3 keys each
Spell Paint on popular hat /or/ special quality (vintage, genuine): 2 keys each
Spell Paint on unpopular hat: 1 key each
Weapon effects: 1 key each
Voices from Bellow (probably bundle these): 15 ref each
Exorcism (probably bundle these): 15 ref each
Double spelled: add above values together (if part is ref, round up to next key)

Set buyout as double (triple if you're feeling plucky) because that's approximately what a reseller will set it for.

Disclaimer: These are really rough estimates that came from my casual observations from selling some of my spelled stuff and don't account for rare spell/hat combo collectors or anything. Strange spelled hats/weapons may command more based on base value and strange parts. Same goes for spelled unusuals.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

That seems fairly low, actually. Most of my basic offers (not counting "give me all your stuff for a key", obv) were higher than that, and I'm assuming they already had a profitable buyer lined up.

Ok, apparently these are "minimum auction prices" and buyouts and other stuff I can't even comprehend rather than average or suggested prices.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 24, 2019

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Oh I was talking about cashing them out via scrap.tf auction and letting the market fight over them. Their actual values start around:

Footprints all-class misc: 10+ keys each
Footprints misc: 8+ keys each
Footprints hat: 6+ keys each
Spell Paint on popular hat /or/ special quality (vintage, genuine): 3-6+ keys each
Spell Paint on unpopular hat: 2~3+ keys each
Weapon effects: 2+ key each
Voices from Bellow : 1+ key each
Exorcism: 1+ key each

Again, variance based on effect, hat, etc. It could be that some of yours are 1:1 in which case they could be representing a spell collector.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 24, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Just sold a strange stickybomb launcher with pumpkin bomb and exorcism for 28 NIS on steam market. JFC. And I was seriously considering letting it go for 2 keys.

Now time to figure out whether a black box with pumpkin bomb and a bunch of strange parts can go for 50 NIS or so.

I wouldn't mind a price suggestion for an El-Jefe with Die job + Voices from below and an uncraftable Sir Hootsalot with Putrescenet Pigmentation + Voices from Below.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 24, 2019

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
So what I've always wondered - how did you guys find those items to begin with? Buy them on the market? Open crates with keys?

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Xander77 posted:

Just sold a strange stickybomb launcher with pumpkin bomb and exorcism for 28 NIS on steam market. JFC. And I was seriously considering letting it go for 2 keys.

Goddamn good cash. Guess my info on those was worse than I thought.

Lowness 72 posted:

So what I've always wondered - how did you guys find those items to begin with? Buy them on the market? Open crates with keys?
The spell effects were from consumable drops during Halloween several years back. You could apply them to any weapon or hat, but the effect only shows up during Halloween or a full moon.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 24, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Lowness 72 posted:

What Anarch said. I also bought a bunch of 0.03$ spells off the marketplace, just in case something like the current scenario happened.

Took them long enough to pay off. Now I'm sorry I didn't spring for the slightly more expensive spells.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 24, 2019

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I’m starting to regret giving away my strange rocket launcher that had pumpkin bombs and exorcism on it

Partly because I kinda miss having the pumpkin bombs effect. I wish there was a way to put spells on skinned weapons in a way that wasn’t so convoluted :(

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Looks like today's little update removed sketchek's name from the axtinguisher speed-boost stat.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Galaxander posted:

Looks like today's little update removed sketchek's name from the axtinguisher speed-boost stat.
Lmfao

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
New attribute for the dead ringer: Sketchek's legacy: everyone will hate you for using this.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I was hoping they'd make axtinguisher worse with "sketchek's remorse" added on, something like "you take 5 dps when wielding this"

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Should've just renamed the stat to "sketchek's swindle"

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

New attribute for the dead ringer: Sketchek's legacy: everyone will hate you for using this.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Do people really fall for this weak bullshit?
https://pastebin.com/i6e1Xyc3

Better question / observation - people apparently keep an eye on the market just to catch anyone trying to sell a bunch of keys at once and scam them.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Xander77 posted:

Do people really fall for this weak bullshit?
https://pastebin.com/i6e1Xyc3

Better question / observation - people apparently keep an eye on the market just to catch anyone trying to sell a bunch of keys at once and scam them.

Only takes one person to fall for it to make it profitable, so long as people keep trying to circumvent the official trading system these vultures will keep circling

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

We got another update! This one supposedly addresses vote-kick abuse.

quote:

An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:

Improved how vote kicks work in matchmaking to reduce potential for abuse
Fixed a case where vote-kicked players could rejoin a match
Added Asian BBall Cup tournament medals
Updated model/materials for the Rasslabyxa Cup Helper medal
Updated RETF2 Retrospective finalist medals to be paintable
Updated some localization files

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i guess all the artifact devs suddenly had to find another project to look busy on, lol

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

So the change to prevent vote kick abuse was to make it so free-to-play users can't call a vote (they can still vote once someone else calls of course). Cheaters and bot users extremely concerned about this disenfranchisement of the underclass lol.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I had a guy get on voice chat right at the start of the round named something like "I'm also [name]" saying "hey guys, don't kick [name], it's my bot and I want to test it. I developed this bot myself and so far it's made me about $20,000 and if you want to..." and that's how long it took the server to kick him.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

I wonder what $20,000 of scrap looks like

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

8 Ball posted:

I wonder what $20,000 of scrap looks like

Hope you got some backpack expanders, according to my calculations it's 90,000 pages of scrap. Of course you could turn it all into refined, which would only need a paltry 10,000 pages of backpack.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That's a lot of Stout Shakos

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Jabor posted:

That's a lot of Stout Shakos

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I made 20,000 steam fun bucks

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Unfortunately it appears my laptop no longer has what it takes to play this game properly anymore, guess it's a good thing I'll probably have a job again by next month, I can start saving up some money for a new computer

Warpy
May 24, 2003

"KABOOOOM!"

drrockso20 posted:

Unfortunately it appears my laptop no longer has what it takes to play this game properly anymore, guess it's a good thing I'll probably have a job again by next month, I can start saving up some money for a new computer

Have you given this a try https://mastercomfig.com/download

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Anybody want a free infernal orchestrina or lunatic's leathers?

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Infernal_Orchestrina
https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Lunatic%27s_Leathers

As far as I know, there aren't any cosmetics I want and I can't be bothered with profitable trading, so if anybody would actually like to wear these hit me up. My steam name is the same and I have a similar av.

If not I'll eventually just craft them both into a third cosmetic I'll never wear, so don't be shy. Also sorry but I don't have the authentication app or whatever it is, so my trades get held for 15 days.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the leather looks cool, i'll hit you up for that. I've never really owned upper body cosmetics like that

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Haven't tried that one yet, did try some configs from a YouTube video that helped a tad, well that and me clearing off like a 100 gigs of stuff off my computer, I might give that a try though

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Galaxander posted:

Anybody want a free infernal orchestrina or [s]lunatic's leathers[s]?

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Lunatic%27s_Leathers

As far as I know, there aren't any cosmetics I want and I can't be bothered with profitable trading, so if anybody would actually like to wear these hit me up. My steam name is the same and I have a similar av.

If not I'll eventually just craft them both into a third cosmetic I'll never wear, so don't be shy. Also sorry but I don't have the authentication app or whatever it is, so my trades get held for 15 days.

The leathers were taken, but I still have that infernal orchestrina up for grabs. Wearing it puts you in pyroland, and if you taunt with it it toots out a little tune. Even if you don't intend to ever wear it or keep it, it can be yours.
Reminder that this item is FREEE :bubblewoop: (aside from the price of having to deal with the tortuous trade interface).

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Thanks to ArfJason for my pyro's new look.

:bubblewoop: If anybody wants any freebies I've now got: :bubblewoop:
https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Argyle_Ace
and a strange bottle. What's strange about it? I guess I'll never know.

I just got done with a silly self-imposed quest to make sniper my least played class, which meant spending a lot of time with heavy, spy, and medic. It was kinda fun to really dig into classes that I hadn't ever invested seriously in, but I'm really pumped to be back to playing whatever seems most fun in the moment. Very pleased to discover that I'm still good (pub-good) at scout.

e: I forgot I also have https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Holy_Hunter which is actually pretty cool looking although Halloween-restricted.

Galaxander fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 11, 2019

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
If you need off-season vampire hunting, the Vampire Vanquisher + Disciplinary Action is a great combo for Soldier!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Resurrecting this thread with an amazing review.

https://www.pcmag.com/review/294028/team-fortress-2-for-pc

Simply put, TF2's mechanics don't feel precise. Movement is slippery and it's difficult to deftly avoid enemy gunfire or to land exactly where you want when jumping from a platform, for example. Weapons also lack weight and are cumbersome to aim. As with in Fortnite, eliminating a TF2 enemy player is a matter of luck rather than skill.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jippa posted:

Resurrecting this thread with an amazing review.

https://www.pcmag.com/review/294028/team-fortress-2-for-pc

Simply put, TF2's mechanics don't feel precise. Movement is slippery and it's difficult to deftly avoid enemy gunfire or to land exactly where you want when jumping from a platform, for example. Weapons also lack weight and are cumbersome to aim. As with in Fortnite, eliminating a TF2 enemy player is a matter of luck rather than skill.

:yikes:

I could not disagree more.

EDIT:

quote:

Time for Team Fortress to Retire
Team Fortress 2 is one of the defining titles in the team-based FPS genre, but relative newcomers to the genre, most notably Overwatch, outclasses it in gameplay, visuals, and the enjoyment factor. Even Valve's other multiplayer FPS, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, has remained more relevant, given its recent visual overhaul, transition to a free-to-play structure, and new battle royale game mode. There's no need to start playing TF2 if you never have in the past, and current players should make the jump to newer (and better) titles.

Double :yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

what the gently caress was that

quote:

I had the most fun playing as the Pyro class and using the flamethrower.

oh.