Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
gently caress bench pics or 3 day probation......

Mods?

And to show I'm a good sport (or an idiot, possibly), if he posts 6 pictures or more of three different gently caress benches (at least two of each one) , I'll take a three day probe(ation).

1-6 pics, no probations for either of us.

Pics have to be various angles and whatnot, not just two pics of the same bench from the same angle.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

sneakyfrog posted:

unf at dat side table.

It's very impressive but personally a bit too ornate for my tastes. That said, as an amateur woodworker I hope to someday have the kind of skills to be able to turn out that kind of piece, even if I wouldn't want it in my house.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
a bit hostile for diy jeez

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's very impressive but personally a bit too ornate for my tastes. That said, as an amateur woodworker I hope to someday have the kind of skills to be able to turn out that kind of piece, even if I wouldn't want it in my house.

oh totally agree, nothing in my house would remotely match it, it would have to be the only piece of furniture in the room and i aint that hipster yet.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
post the fiend hole

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

That side table is super ostentatious and not really my thing.

I was pretty dang tipsy when I wrote that long ramble, and while I don't intend for all my work to be derivative of MCM, it's just an easy, ubiquitous thing to point to for me. In my head, metal is under represented, and I wanna change that. Metal furniture, and metal MCM has been done, no doubt, but I don't think it's finished, and part of what's in my head right now is to start there.

Also my drat coworker keeps making lovely stools and a "bar" (which is just a loving plate on two scrap pieces of i-beams.) and I want to bury him with better metal furniture.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Rotten Cookies posted:

bury him with better metal furniture.

:hmmyes:

my better half will object but i will buy your classically inspired :black101: furniture

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

sneakyfrog posted:

oh totally agree, nothing in my house would remotely match it, it would have to be the only piece of furniture in the room and i aint that hipster yet.

I love art nouveau and even I know that a house full of it would be unbearable. I've got two mirrors in that style, and I think I could accommodate a third piece before reaching a frivolity tipping point.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
every table you dream up is a table you've already seen but didn't remember.....

makes u think

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

there wolf posted:

I love art nouveau and even I know that a house full of it would be unbearable. I've got two mirrors in that style, and I think I could accommodate a third piece before reaching a frivolity tipping point.

ahem.

:justpost:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I recently purchased an early 1900s craftsman bungalow with a formal dining room and I’m at a loss with what to do with it. The kitchen is just a little small to put an eat-in table there, but it seems silly to dedicate an entire room to eating like that.

floorplan and/or description of your household lifestyle plz.

ps. lmao at gamer/robo toilet.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

sneakyfrog posted:

Interior Design Thread: Tasteful Fuckbenches

Someone needs to make this happen.

Just like our friend made fiend holes happen.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Lousy pictures ahoy! Nothing's hung up because I'm redoing ceilings which has had a domino effect on not getting unpacked and settled in.

This one is probably more art deco, what with the lotus motifs. It's going to replace the bathroom mirror at some point.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Jesus I am a sucker for Art Deco. Very nice!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Rotten Cookies posted:

That side table is super ostentatious and not really my thing.

I was pretty dang tipsy when I wrote that long ramble, and while I don't intend for all my work to be derivative of MCM, it's just an easy, ubiquitous thing to point to for me. In my head, metal is under represented, and I wanna change that. Metal furniture, and metal MCM has been done, no doubt, but I don't think it's finished, and part of what's in my head right now is to start there.

Also my drat coworker keeps making lovely stools and a "bar" (which is just a loving plate on two scrap pieces of i-beams.) and I want to bury him with better metal furniture.

Have you thought about MCM fuckbenches?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

drgitlin posted:

Have you thought about MCM fuckbenches?

Will you be reviewing fuckbenches in your next assignment? Enquiring minds want to know.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Goober Peas posted:

Will you be reviewing fuckbenches in your next assignment? Enquiring minds want to know.

I’m just saying, sex furniture always seems to have a goth feel to it. Why not Eames or Saarinen that poo poo up a bit?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Hey, I thought the one I made from that drawing had potential. If I'd made if of aluminum pipe instead of mild steel with the lovely mill scale coating, that probably would've went a long way. Shine it up real nice and, Iunno, maybe a lil Eileen Gray?

And yes, sex furniture tends to be a bit one note, huh?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
metal inspired louis XIV style :getin:

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Metal Rococo would be even more nightmarish.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'd like to see some wrought-iron Spanish baroque pieces myself.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

GIS of "occult engraved table" and "satanic table" was very limited :/

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Rotten Cookies posted:

Hey, I thought the one I made from that drawing had potential. If I'd made if of aluminum pipe instead of mild steel with the lovely mill scale coating, that probably would've went a long way. Shine it up real nice and, Iunno, maybe a lil Eileen Gray?

And yes, sex furniture tends to be a bit one note, huh?

I'd love that with a butcher block top

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Every bench is a gently caress bench what the hell's this thread going on about

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The end result to loving is a son of a bench

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

Every bench is a gently caress bench what the hell's this thread going on about

Agreed

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hold on. Do you have to insert coins in order for the spikes to retract?

I know the world hates the poor and homeless, but jfc.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Trabant posted:

It’s an art installation, but real hostile architecture can get nearly as bad.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Trabant posted:

Platystemon posted:

Its an art installation, but real hostile architecture can get nearly as bad.

Yeah, the art installation is nicer because you can retract the spikes, real anti-homeless architecture just has the unretractable spikes

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

drgitlin posted:

I’m just saying, sex furniture always seems to have a goth feel to it. Why not Eames or Saarinen that poo poo up a bit?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

peanut posted:

floorplan and/or description of your household lifestyle plz.

ps. lmao at gamer/robo toilet.

https://imgur.com/a/tHT4Ddp

This is essentially the floor plan, but not 100% exact. There’s also an enclosed sun room off the back of the house + partially finished basement. We have an 18mo old babby so I had considered just making it a dedicated play room.

I like the idea of being able to have dinner parties, but they will likely never happen.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

A formal dining room that you have to walk through anyway? Use it!
How big is the kitchen and living room? I can't quite make out the numbers on that image.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

https://imgur.com/a/tHT4Ddp

This is essentially the floor plan, but not 100% exact. There’s also an enclosed sun room off the back of the house + partially finished basement. We have an 18mo old babby so I had considered just making it a dedicated play room.

I like the idea of being able to have dinner parties, but they will likely never happen.

Probably a dumb question - do 2 of the upstairs bedrooms have 3 closets?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Kase moch posted:

Probably a dumb question - do 2 of the upstairs bedrooms have 3 closets?

As I said it’s not quite exact, two of the bedrooms have one large closet, the 3rd has some sort of weird double closet. I think it may have been intended to use as some sort of utility/spare room as one of the closets has a small radiator in it.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
This might be quite a specific question but I'm hoping someone might be able to help.

I am covering a radiator in the living room with a cabinet and want to replace the slightly rubbish mdf grill that came with the cabinet with a nicer metal one. The house is a Victorian brick mid terrace (in the UK) so what I would quite like to do is get a metal grill with a period appropriate pattern and material (so probably zinc or brass). However I'm finding it hard to find any resources that actually tell me what sorts of grill patterns are appropriate for a late Victorian house so I was hoping that someone here might have an idea or be able to point me in the right direction.

In case it isn't clear these are the sort of grills I am talking about.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

I recently purchased an early 1900s craftsman bungalow with a formal dining room and I’m at a loss with what to do with it. The kitchen is just a little small to put an eat-in table there, but it seems silly to dedicate an entire room to eating like that.

Whatup fellow craftsman bungalow owner!

I don't know how big your kitchen is but ours does not have a ton of cabinet space - less than our previous, modern home did, even though the modern home was half the square footage. So we do have a "formal" dining room in that we have a dining room table, china cabinet, and buffet. The china cabinet holds a lot of our regular dishes and glassware enabling us to keep the kitchen cabinets free for kitchen stuff.

Our home plan does not have any original closets - a few were added as retrofits but because there wasn't planned space for them they are incredibly small and cramped. So our dining room also has our cedar chest that we use instead of a linen closet. Having to find furniture for storage was probably the biggest adjustment for me to living in an older house. Luckily, my older relatives have inherited pieces no one wants because storage furniture is out of style, so we got both the cabinet and chest for free.

We don't eat in there in a formal way but because it's between the kitchen (back of house) and front door it becomes the default area for breakfast / early morning email checking / going through the mail. Having a large table is also nice for the kinds of temporary projects that you don't want to devote a room to, like gift wrapping or (right now) starting seeds. I also enjoy having potlucks and barbeques, and it's really nice to have a place to serve food that is separate from where I'm trying to wash dishes or prepare things.

I grew up with the shared kitchen and dining, so it was an adjustment, but unless you break out the candlesticks and silverware it doesn't have to be a "formal" dining room.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

vonnegutt posted:

Whatup fellow craftsman bungalow owner!

I don't know how big your kitchen is but ours does not have a ton of cabinet space - less than our previous, modern home did, even though the modern home was half the square footage. So we do have a "formal" dining room in that we have a dining room table, china cabinet, and buffet. The china cabinet holds a lot of our regular dishes and glassware enabling us to keep the kitchen cabinets free for kitchen stuff.

Our home plan does not have any original closets - a few were added as retrofits but because there wasn't planned space for them they are incredibly small and cramped. So our dining room also has our cedar chest that we use instead of a linen closet. Having to find furniture for storage was probably the biggest adjustment for me to living in an older house. Luckily, my older relatives have inherited pieces no one wants because storage furniture is out of style, so we got both the cabinet and chest for free.

We don't eat in there in a formal way but because it's between the kitchen (back of house) and front door it becomes the default area for breakfast / early morning email checking / going through the mail. Having a large table is also nice for the kinds of temporary projects that you don't want to devote a room to, like gift wrapping or (right now) starting seeds. I also enjoy having potlucks and barbeques, and it's really nice to have a place to serve food that is separate from where I'm trying to wash dishes or prepare things.

I grew up with the shared kitchen and dining, so it was an adjustment, but unless you break out the candlesticks and silverware it doesn't have to be a "formal" dining room.

I’m coming from a 50s cape cod house so this kitchen is bigger space wise, but still not much room in the cabinets for small appliances. Thankfully someone build a small closet in the corner of the dining room at some point so we’ve been using that for stuff like the instapot and stand mixers. Though they did a real bad job of making it so we’re ripping the drywall off to redo and so we can match the 6in trim.

I’ve spent the last week ripping ugly rear end floral wallpaper off of horse hair plaster walls and ripping up stained to poo poo carpet to get to the heart pine floors underneath, it’s been a real treat.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Feel free to tell me why I’m wrong but if you have an awkward kitchen and a formal dining room in an old house I think it’s totally ok to join the two into a more functional space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Feel free to tell me why I’m wrong but if you have an awkward kitchen and a formal dining room in an old house I think it’s totally ok to join the two into a more functional space.

In my case the kitchen is actually set up really well for food prep - we've added a small island and a butcher block and have a pretty optimal "work triangle" between the butcher block, gas stove, and large farmhouse sink. There's a lot of natural light over the prep areas as well. There just isn't space for a table and chairs. Likewise, the dining room has lovely natural light and some of the best trim work in the house with the chair rails and large French doors. Extensive renovation could remove the walls separating them, but the entire kitchen would have to be rearranged, and the only benefit would be that we could eat in the kitchen.