Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

KDdidit posted:

Help me out with my cynicism and the mechanics of this. Mechanically, that's the proposal to get support for a ConCon so that he can pass this tax plan? Cynically, depending on the wording, if the ConCon works then they can change the tax rates after that with a majority then? If so is there any way all those tax brackets aren't back over 5% in a few years after that? Not that Illinois doesn't need the money.

I mean "can raises taxes at an indeterminate point in the future" is always a possibility

don't hard-code this poo poo in the constitution either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Just remove the hard coded flat tax.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Tax retirement income for gently caress sake.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dexo posted:

Just remove the hard coded flat tax.

This.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Chicago Tribune: Lori Lightfoot picks up endorsement from businessman Willie Wilson in mayor's race.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-chicago-mayors-race-willie-wilson-endorsement-20190308-story.html

Chicago politics are so weird

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

ArgaWarga posted:

Chicago Tribune: Lori Lightfoot picks up endorsement from businessman Willie Wilson in mayor's race.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-chicago-mayors-race-willie-wilson-endorsement-20190308-story.html

Chicago politics are so weird

My guess would be she had to promise Wilson something if she's elected. I can't figure out why else he would do it. She desperately needs more votes from the African-American parts of the city, and she probably thinks this is a good way to get them. I don't agree with it, but I'm not sure if it's really going to have any sway on my vote yet.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bird in a Blender posted:

My guess would be she had to promise Wilson something if she's elected. I can't figure out why else he would do it. She desperately needs more votes from the African-American parts of the city, and she probably thinks this is a good way to get them. I don't agree with it, but I'm not sure if it's really going to have any sway on my vote yet.

Both candidates asked for his endorsement and Wilson put out calls on social media asking his supporters who he should choose. I'm sure there's much more to it than that (lol Chicago) but I didn't see a single comment asking him to endorse Preckwinkle.

Based on the polls, I don't think Lightfoot desperately needs anything right now, but we all lived through 2016 so who knows?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I am actually extremely shocked by how much Lightfoot is ahead of Preckwinkle.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

The rally to “take back Illinois” was held today. Around 1,300 people showed up for it. They had a giant flag as the backdrop.

I am honestly surprised the most that my sister and brother in law did not go because they have both fallen into the chud valley. Apparently, there was a Pokemon raid happening that they chose to go to instead.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Are they able to clearly articulate to what point in the state's history they want to restore things to?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

xzzy posted:

Are they able to clearly articulate to what point in the state's history they want to restore things to?

what day were the black codes overturned? one day before that.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

brugroffil posted:

JB out with his flat tax proposal

Pretty harsh marriage penalty for high earners.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

baquerd posted:

Pretty harsh marriage penalty for high earners.

How's the move to Indiana working out for you?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CascadeBeta posted:

How's the move to Indiana working out for you?

Gotta find the right place.

That aside, it will be interesting to see what goes down here with regards to the constitutional amendment. I wonder how many alterations and complexities will get thrown in, or if it could ever possibly look like a simple repeal of the flat tax limitation.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So is there any progress on marijuana legalization? JB got up and talked about wanting to legalize sports gambling too but so far he's just been all talk on this stuff.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

xzzy posted:

As was said above, when rural white people ruled the roost and could sneer at the minorities and urban people while maintaining their power structure.

I am going to keep posting downstate Illinois stuff like this. We have 3 new state reps in the area that have decided that they are going to get their names out there as much as possible. Also, I have never witnessed the local chud population up in arms as much as since Priztker got elected. I am thinking that they are pissed about how the left went after Trump that they need to do the same with the state stuff.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

baquerd posted:

That aside, it will be interesting to see what goes down here with regards to the constitutional amendment. I wonder how many alterations and complexities will get thrown in, or if it could ever possibly look like a simple repeal of the flat tax limitation.

I can understand why you haven't found the right place yet, this whole thing with Rauner losing was a surprise to us all so you likely got started late.

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

As was said above, when rural white people ruled the roost and could sneer at the minorities and urban people while maintaining their power structure.

I am going to keep posting downstate Illinois stuff like this. We have 3 new state reps in the area that have decided that they are going to get their names out there as much as possible. Also, I have never witnessed the local chud population up in arms as much as since Priztker got elected. I am thinking that they are pissed about how the left went after Trump that they need to do the same with the state stuff.

Yeah, everyone in Effingham is waiting for Priztker to raise their taxes, take their guns, and abort every baby. Good thing Effingham voted to be a sanctuary city for guns and the unborn. God I hate this loving town.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Did this time ever exist? Farmers have been getting screwed since before the Civil War.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The X-man cometh posted:

Did this time ever exist? Farmers have been getting screwed since before the Civil War.

Depends on the farmer. Landed gentry like Jefferson loved the idea of the yeoman farmer and considered himself a bit of one

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

The X-man cometh posted:

Yeah, they have always been screwed but in a previous time, population was more spread out so they felt like they had more say in their being screwed over.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

baquerd posted:

Hey, my brother-in-law lives in Bloomington, IN and he's a miserable evangelical chud. I'll introduce you, you should fit right in. You'd even have liberal college professors and millennial students to bitch about, it'd be grand.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Niwrad posted:

Tax retirement income for gently caress sake.

Jesus christ yes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
e: never mind, answered elsewhere

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 19, 2019

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Chuy endorsed Lightfoot.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What should I know about the Treasurer race? Is there a clear correct choice here?

UberNils
Jan 11, 2006

NO DEEP LINCOLN
This is the voter guide that has been getting shared around among people whose opinions I trust, and I've found it to be pretty on-the-nose as well.

Girl, I guess: Progressive Voter Guide for Chicago 2019 + Runoffs

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Chuu posted:

What should I know about the Treasurer race? Is there a clear correct choice here?
I thought I'd opened up an RPG thread at first and was like "What setting has a Treasurer race?"

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

UberNils posted:

This is the voter guide that has been getting shared around among people whose opinions I trust, and I've found it to be pretty on-the-nose as well.

Girl, I guess: Progressive Voter Guide for Chicago 2019 + Runoffs

I'd be curious to know what they specifically think of Lightfoot vs. Periwinkle. I'm assuming that they'd still endorse Periwinkle because of how much weight they put on Police issues, but almost every positive they attribute to Periwinkle is strategic and no long really a concern in a race of two candidates.

EDIT: Found their opinion about Lightfoot vs. Periwinkle. Look like Lightfoot's Police record in their eyes is completely disqualifying. While I can totally understand that point of view, I believe strongly enough that unchaining Chicago from Machine Politics is critical for the future, and I'd rather gamble on Lightfoot pushing in that direction and swallow her terrible record on Police Brutality rather than Periwinkle's guarantee of the status quo.

Put strategically, I believe the worst outcome of voting for Lightfoot and being wrong is basically continuation of the status quo. And voting for Periwinkle basically guarantees that.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 24, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Chuu posted:

I'd be curious to know what they specifically think of Lightfoot vs. Periwinkle. I'm assuming that they'd still endorse Periwinkle because of how much weight they put on Police issues, but almost every positive they attribute to Periwinkle is strategic and no long really a concern in a race of two candidates.

EDIT: Found their opinion about Lightfoot vs. Periwinkle. Look like Periwinkle's Police record in their eyes is completely disqualifying. While I can totally understand that point of view, I believe strongly enough that unchaining Chicago from Machine Politics is critical for the future, and I'd rather gamble on Lightfoot pushing in that direction and swallow her terrible record on Police Brutality rather than Periwinkle's guarantee of the status quo.

i think they'd be thrilled that one of their endorsements (with reservations) made the runoff against someone they called a wolf in sheep's clothing

especially when it looked like lightfoot v daley a few weeks ago

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Chuu posted:

EDIT: Found their opinion about Lightfoot vs. Periwinkle. Look like Lightfoot's Police record in their eyes is completely disqualifying. While I can totally understand that point of view, I believe strongly enough that unchaining Chicago from Machine Politics is critical for the future, and I'd rather gamble on Lightfoot pushing in that direction and swallow her terrible record on Police Brutality rather than Periwinkle's guarantee of the status quo.

Put strategically, I believe the worst outcome of voting for Lightfoot and being wrong is basically continuation of the status quo. And voting for Periwinkle basically guarantees that.

Lightfoot is taking money from Rahm’s lawyer, got endorsed by the right-wing aldermen, is taking money from an anonymous organization, and flip flopped on the gang database.

I really don’t think Lightfoot is going to represent a change- I think she’s going to continue business as usual. Also, I think police issues are the issue. If the Laquan McDonald murder didn’t happen (or he was successful in covering it up) Rahm would be running.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
That's the thing. If you think policing is the only issue, Lightfoot is completely in the wrong. But if you care about schools, handouts to corporations and developers, or tax equity, then she's far better than Preckwinkle.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The X-man cometh posted:

That's the thing. If you think policing is the only issue, Lightfoot is completely in the wrong. But if you care about schools, handouts to corporations and developers, or tax equity, then she's far better than Preckwinkle.

The X-man cometh posted:

Yeah, but what about Periwinkle?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Periwinkle is far inferior to lavender or rose.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Niwrad posted:

So is there any progress on marijuana legalization? JB got up and talked about wanting to legalize sports gambling too but so far he's just been all talk on this stuff.

Not emptyquoting

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

The X-man cometh posted:

I'm similarly skeptical of her on corporate handouts if she was supporting Amanda Yu Dietrich for alderman (she lives in that ward). Even if Carlos Ramirez-Rosa is an outspoken Preckwinkle supporter, Dietrich was backed by Rahm and Fishman.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well the Jussie thing sure got a lot more interesting and a lot more political.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

wonder what they hosed up so bad that now they just want the case to go away

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well he forfeited his bond so it's the same old story, you can get out of anything if you pay enough money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

Well he forfeited his bond so it's the same old story, you can get out of anything if you pay enough money.

$625 bucks per felony charge seems like a pretty good deal.

Hell I could probably afford a couple of them if that were the standard rate.