Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I got the mobility upgrades and now the game reminds me of dx:hr except its really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The "before I play" says that you can take only two Typhon powers before turrets consider you an enemy, but the LP shows it's not exactly two.

The turrets aren't much of a problem when they turn hostile since you can just remote manipulation them.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Any tips for completing the five-characters-in-one-run objective in Mooncrash? I think spending sim points on Artax, stun gun, and a couple delay loop.times for each character is mandatory. The first character will start with two control modules as well, and head right to the Crater security station and power control if necessary (although I think the wrecked harvester always has a control module on it).

I was planning
Use Joan first to repair any broken doors or other things along the way. Fix the mimic portal, then escape with whatever method is closest, either escape pods or back to the Crew Annex shuttle.
Play as Claire, hack the mimic portal and escape.
Play as Riley and upload her consciousness since she is the only one with this objective.
Probably use Bhatia to escape in the mass driver because his movement speed and combat skills are very high.
Play as Andrius and escape either through the shuttle or escape pods.

Along the way I will probably drop whatever items I don't need in a supply crate near the Crater if convenient, so the next character can pick them up and not waste any time. If the corruption level is kept at 1 or 2 it should be fairly easy.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
You can just dump any unused items in the mule operator and they will carry over into the next character's run. The five escape run is pretty trivial if you do this as long as you lead with Joan and Claire to repair/hack everything.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rinkles posted:

What difficulty did you manage?

whatever the highest one is. It wasn't bad, if you're avoiding encounters anyway then the difficultty shouldn't matter

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Former Human posted:

Any tips for completing the five-characters-in-one-run objective in Mooncrash? I think spending sim points on Artax, stun gun, and a couple delay loop.times for each character is mandatory. The first character will start with two control modules as well, and head right to the Crater security station and power control if necessary (although I think the wrecked harvester always has a control module on it).

I was planning
Use Joan first to repair any broken doors or other things along the way. Fix the mimic portal, then escape with whatever method is closest, either escape pods or back to the Crew Annex shuttle.
Play as Claire, hack the mimic portal and escape.
Play as Riley and upload her consciousness since she is the only one with this objective.
Probably use Bhatia to escape in the mass driver because his movement speed and combat skills are very high.
Play as Andrius and escape either through the shuttle or escape pods.

Along the way I will probably drop whatever items I don't need in a supply crate near the Crater if convenient, so the next character can pick them up and not waste any time. If the corruption level is kept at 1 or 2 it should be fairly easy.

As the engineer pre-complete all of the objectives you can and basically just explore the whole place. That means dumping supplies into the supply box in the mass driver exit, repairing whatever, etc. Since you're exploring the whole place anyway bringing control modules isn't necessary, you'll find extras. If you can do this without dying then finishing the rest of the characters is pretty easy, since the level is already cleared out and the objectives are half-complete. Right before exiting with a character, dump supplies into the Mule for the next character to pick up.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Huh, I never bothered using the mule operator before. I didn't realize the inventory carried over between characters. That makes it incredibly easy.

Now I see why they called it Mooncrash

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
My "Pistol-only" run started out pretty much like my first run, since in that one I didn't get the Shotgun until coming back from the Hardware Labs either. I did use my knoweldge to acquire a lot more Neuromods quickly, and I started carrying turrets around to assist me and distract enemies so I could lay some extra firepower down on them while avoiding damage. I just returned from my first spacewalk, which I used to visit supply caches on the outside of Neuromod and Hardware Labs. I also took a trip to the derelict shuttle where I remember the "Typhon Lure" blueprint as being. This time there was a weaver hanging around, which makes sense given all the coral, I just didn't see it when I went there much later in my first run.

Mooncrash questions:

1) You get up to five “lives” for each run. Does the map change geography between runs, or is the layout always the same?

2) I saw a Poltergeist try and yank a gun out of your hand in Mooncrash, but that didn’t happen in my vanilla game. Would that change in the vanilla game if I owned mooncrash? (I am guessing no.)

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Mooncrash questions:

1) You get up to five “lives” for each run. Does the map change geography between runs, or is the layout always the same?

2) I saw a Poltergeist try and yank a gun out of your hand in Mooncrash, but that didn’t happen in my vanilla game. Would that change in the vanilla game if I owned mooncrash? (I am guessing no.)

1- geographically no, but there will be changes that get more significant as you progress. Mostly environmental, but you'll also see stairs or hallways either destroyed or not, randomly.
2- no, mooncrash has extra things like that and the different turrets that do not translate back to the base game, sadly.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I noticed on my current playthrough that the idea of quantum consciousness plays a larger role in the setting than I had thought and it may explain some lingering questions that I've had about the game.

There's a lot of text in the game, a lot of it written by Igwe, about the existence of quantum consciousness and that it likely forms a "noetic field." One of the game's books describes neurons are described as having "quantum vibrations inside the mircotubules," and another postulates that consciousness is a "fundamental and irreducible property woven into the fabric of the universe."

The noetic field is probably the same thing as the noosphere, which is the sphere of human thought in the same sense that living things form a biosphere. Humans can interact with the noosphere and reality in some way, as Igwe finds in a study that about 40% of subjects show signs of telepathy. He also believes that Paraplexis is caused by human psychic ability, which is supported by the fact that white noise is caused by the degeneration of the same part of the neurons that have quantum vibrations.

I think that there's a pretty good chance that Paraplexis can be asymptomatic and that it is what was going on with Luka and Calvino. In Calvino's case he begins losing his neuromod implanted memories at the same time that he begins having hallucinations of the Apex. Luka seems extremely schizophrenic, but he also has visions of the Apex and appears to have some of Will Mitchell's emotions. Luka is totally rejected by any Telepaths to the point where they try to stay away from him.

The Typhon having some innate aversion to Paraplexis would explain why people with the disease can't be models for neuromods. Their brains can be scanned, but the Typhon material used in their construction might reject or be destroyed by the content of the subject's mind.

One thing about the ending that I had missed is that when Mitsuko Tokaji is pitching Project Cobalt to Alex and Morgan she mentions Calvino's prototype Looking Glass headset as a way to run the simulation. When you see the headset in Calvino's quarters it's clearly not finished. His notes on the project say that it's based on the Psychoscope, and that Morgan is the only person who could finish it. That makes the framing of the epilogue scene even stranger.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Huh, I noticed that if you wait to clear the Fabrication Labs until after the license expires, a corpse appears in the lobby out of nowhere which has codes for the security booth and computer, and the corpses upstairs in the Fabrication labs mysteriously vanish (I guess the second one went elsewhere with another clue or something). Additionally, the boxes blocking the vent into Volunteer quarters AND the locked vent are also clear and open. It feels like the game is patronizing me and doesn't trust me to find my own way in. I should load an older game and compare the names on the bodies in the fabrication lab with the ones which appeared elsewhere.

I attempted the Fabrication Labs with the silenced pistol. It IS possible, but it chews up a lot more ammo than I prefer. I guess I'll modify the rules of my run to include use of the stun disruptor as well because the pistol will be just too tedious. Maybe I'll

I tried using the Mimic Matter power to hide from enemies, but at this stage, it's not that useful. You can eventually lose an enemy if you just sit there, but it drains your entire PSI pool, so it's not worth it without more tools to recover it. Its just better to run and hide normally.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 25, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If you’re set on fighting your way through Fabrication, you’ll want to hold off til after you’ve grabbed a few recycler charges from Hardware. If you have Hack 2 (or find the code, I forget where) you can make your way to the 2nd floor of Fabrication through maintenance ducts accessible in the Volunteer Quarters.

From there you could just as easily stealth your way around the Technopath if you’re careful, and naturally you can get to the office using your trusty nerf gun. I did this on my first run and have yet to do a playthrough in which I let the DRM kick in.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
On my first run I did Fabrication before the DRM kicked in and I wanted to experience something different this time. I chose to stealth around the Technopath, and got in and out mostly quietly. I'll probably finish off Psychometrics and then beeline for the Golden Gun. I still think I'll probably need to boost the Stun Disruptor, though, because hitting flying enemies with EMP grenades is going to be unreliable.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
When the beforeiplay says you can take two abilities and still be considered human, does that mean only two upgrades or just two discrete abilities? Can I take Psychoshock II and III and still be considered to have only two abilities, or does that count as having more?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
don't worry about it, turrets aren't tough to deal with and turrets you make don't shoot you

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
On my "Pistol only" run, I got to Crew Quarters and the Nightmare chose to make its first appearance right in front of me. NOPE.

As soon as I got the Golden Gun, I dumped all my Neuromods into Gunsmith 1 and 2, then all my Weapon Upgrade kits. I was only short one to upgrade it fully. It's a beast. Combine it with Combat Focus 3, and it can take out a Telepath with shots to spare. Taking on a Nightmare, I had to reload, but still had time to do that and finish it before Combat focus ran out.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I just got the golden gun but dumped all my mods into the stun gun. Working on tricking that one out now.

The nightmare made its first appearance in the lobby by I was in the elevator so it couldn't touch me. So I stood there until the timer ran out. I guess that wasn't intended?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh no, it's very intended. It's trivial to wait him out.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah they put the emergency lock buttons on all those doors for a reason

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Oh gotcha. In an earlier reload my first encounter was the bridge where he pasted me as soon as the level loaded. I just assumed I wasn't supposed to be there yet and went somewhere else.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
BTW, unless they patched it, the nightmare can kill you when exiting the elevator (during which you have zero control).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That happened to me so I guess it isn’t patched .

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

That’s why you take the zero grab stairs (GUTS)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Are there keycards somewhere for the Life Support Security Station and the Lobby IT Storage Closet which seems to be holding three survivors!? I've found about all the corpses the security station lists, and I see no way into those rooms.

Gadzuko posted:

IIRC the life support security station is only accessible via the mimic power, there's only a couple locations that are limited like that but I think it's one of them.

It turns out that's not true! Look in the nearby bathroom, the one blocked with GLOO at the start. In the back there's a grate on the floor. It requires Leverage II, an explosive canister to dislodge the grate, or a recycler grenade to remove the grate (although I don't know if those will also eat keycards, so caution is recommended).

I have found a lot of chipsets that boost psychic powers, when all I want is Pistol Critical++, drat it.

I think I'll turn on all the survival options for my No Needles run. The best way to handle that one, I think is to ignore my instincts to pick things up, and instead only pick up medkits, suit repair kits as I need them.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
The only place i found that i couldn't figure out a way into without mimic was the escape pod with the hatch jammed slightly open. It doesn't respond to the button and i couldn't find any other way in, so i carried a coffee cup over and used that to get in. There's some assorted poo poo in there and it turns out it's actually very hard to get out if you suck at the mimic power, as i did, having only rarely used it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I am just about to take my first spacewalk on my "No Needles" run, and I think I should restart because I'm an idiot.

It was a mistake to try and combinine "No Needles" with survival mode on, because that means more inventory items to cure specific status effects, and weapons degrade and need repairs, and "No Needles" means no repair skill.

EDIT: Jesus loving christ, Arkane, I know they are "explosive canisters", but I expect them to not detonate like a goddamn bomb when I, while crouching, drop one 4 inches onto a carpeted surface.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 27, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

EDIT: Jesus loving christ, Arkane, I know they are "explosive canisters", but I expect them to not detonate like a goddamn bomb when I, while crouching, drop one 4 inches onto a carpeted surface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adgMVxbC5vw

:v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I literally cannot play Typhon Hunter because bethesda.net is hosed and you can't get past the title screen without logging in. I can't even play the single player stuff. gently caress you Bethesda.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

veni veni veni posted:

I literally cannot play Typhon Hunter because bethesda.net is hosed and you can't get past the title screen without logging in. I can't even play the single player stuff. gently caress you Bethesda.

Typhon hunter is not worth the anguish

The only singleplayer is bot matches where you always play the hunter, so you may as well play the base game instead.

I got maybe two hours in with a few Prey fanatics before we exhausted everything to do in mulitplayer.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I've gotten pretty good at Mooncrash. I usually try to stay at corruption level 3, as it has the slowest timer and you don't have to deal with Nightmares. I was using Claire, and I killed the Moon Shark in the Crater, then went to Moonworks, where I killed a second Moon Shark.

Then I went up against a telepath, and was having fun burning him with a modified elite Boltcaster when he ran away. He came back... with a third Moon Shark, and I died.

Perfect roguelike. A+

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
My "No Needles Run" is progressing. I just got the Nullwave Grenade plan from the Life Support storage room, so I'll make my way back up through the G.U.T.S.. The toughest fight so far was the Weaver, Technopath, and two Corrupted Operators at lower section of G.U.T.S. I'm having to use grenades a lot more, since my firepower can't be upgraded much.

It's tough finding inventory space. I do have all the weapons, but I'm limiting myself to a total of 90 bullets, 48 Shells, and 50 Foam Darts, as well as 10 grenades of each type and 10 Suit Repair kits. That sounds like I'm carrying too much, but all my weapons are maxed out with the lowest level upgrade, so I've already reached max killing power, and I have no combat powers.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

My "No Needles Run" is progressing. I just got the Nullwave Grenade plan from the Life Support storage room, so I'll make my way back up through the G.U.T.S.. The toughest fight so far was the Weaver, Technopath, and two Corrupted Operators at lower section of G.U.T.S. I'm having to use grenades a lot more, since my firepower can't be upgraded much.

It's tough finding inventory space. I do have all the weapons, but I'm limiting myself to a total of 90 bullets, 48 Shells, and 50 Foam Darts, as well as 10 grenades of each type and 10 Suit Repair kits. That sounds like I'm carrying too much, but all my weapons are maxed out with the lowest level upgrade, so I've already reached max killing power, and I have no combat powers.

I'd probably dump the qbeam. It takes up a lot of space.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zomborgon posted:

Typhon hunter is not worth the anguish

The only singleplayer is bot matches where you always play the hunter, so you may as well play the base game instead.

I got maybe two hours in with a few Prey fanatics before we exhausted everything to do in mulitplayer.

I thought it had some escape room style single player thing? Or is that what the whole game is?

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
Does it seem odd to anyone else that there are so many bags of chips and cans of soda floating around undamaged in the vacuum of space? And how is it possible that Morgan has the option to eat these magical foodstuffs from the comfort of her suit?

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
gently caress me sideways the nightmare still scares the bejeezus out of me. Come to think of it I don't know if I killed it more than once or twice on my first playthrough. When you guys say you stopped running from him once you figured out his schtick, how late game are we talking? I haven't gone into deep storage yet on this run and I've had to avoid that loving spooky ghoul more than 6 times now.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think I ignored him once, the second time I figured out I could kill him but didn't like the amount of ammo needed so I reloaded and ignored him, and the third+ time I just popped combat reflexes and he ended up on the floor getting wrenched, the poor sod.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It was a while ago so I don’t remember the exact layout or the difficulty I was on but the second time I encountered it in my very first game was entering the bridge from the arboretum. It just waltzed out from the bridge right in front of me so I didn’t have much choice but to start in on the shotgunning. I died once, reloaded, killed it the second time. Wasn’t as hard as I thought so I just started shooting from then on.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It probably would have been better had you only been able to stun the thing for 20 seconds or whatever but (1) the stealth is not that great in this game (2) they’d have to implement a new dormancy mechanic and (3) they’d more than likely have to put in a quest that results in you killing it, which would require a lot of new assets.

Actually requiring the player to hide in a closet or w/e for a few minutes would also be disruptive in a way that people probably wouldn’t like, but then again… if they had done it, and done it well, then the game would have had a much better selling point. It’s not like there’s a whole lot Resident Evil 2 Remake beyond “oh poo poo Mr. X”. That was enough to make it a sensation

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Kibayasu posted:

It was a while ago so I don’t remember the exact layout or the difficulty I was on but the second time I encountered it in my very first game was entering the bridge from the arboretum. It just waltzed out from the bridge right in front of me so I didn’t have much choice but to start in on the shotgunning. I died once, reloaded, killed it the second time. Wasn’t as hard as I thought so I just started shooting from then on.

It's weakest to the shotgun, so you actually did the right thing the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Also note that the QBeam will make something explode when the green bar reaches their current, not max health, so you can totally qbeam something for a bit, then switch to something more mobile so you don't get pasted because of the slow movespeed, and finish the enemy off with something more hard-hitting. Saves in combat reloads too.