Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Residency Evil posted:

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/doylestown-2015-bmw-328i-xrdrive-sport/6832284261.html

Is this a fair price? It's been in a "minor damage" accident.

edit: he sent me a pick of rear bumper cover, which looks like it's been in an accident/cracked.

Edit: Guy says this is $500 to fix, and can sell it for $21k.

Late to the party, but when people say things like this I immediately ask them why they didn't fix it if it was only $500 to repair.

I guarantee it will cost more than $500 to fix correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Goober Peas posted:

Late to the party, but when people say things like this I immediately ask them why they didn't fix it if it was only $500 to repair.

yup, passing on it.

Paradoxish posted:

How badly do you want the M-Sport package? Because M-Sport owners all want an incredible premium for their cars and you're paying between $4-8k more pretty much just for that. Here's a well optioned wagon with less miles for $17k at a dealership, for example:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=510715309

If you don't care about having a wagon or x-drive then you've definitely got options for days and I wouldn't pay over maybe $18k for an automatic 328i and only for a really, really good example. I've seen really nice, lower mileage ones for as low as $14k. I definitely wouldn't pay over $20k for one with nearly 100k miles on it.

This one is good though. Dealer is willing to do $17k inclusive of doc fees, refurbishing some curb rash, and removing a small dent. Seems fair? I may try to go up midweek or next weekend.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

Respraying a scratch in my bumper was about $650 (to the insurance). Buying and painting a keyhole cover or tow hook cover is about $65. And that assumes it's intact underneath!

That red wagon looks good!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

That thing has been there for a year at least. Turns out there aren't very many people willing to pay 40k for an 8 year old 3 series wagon.
Lmao it's 40k? Jesus. Nevermind.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Man I am normally against E90s (just looking at E92s) but as a wagon, and with that color and everything...drat.

But...it's 1 of 429!

:laffo:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Alarbus posted:

Respraying a scratch in my bumper was about $650 (to the insurance). Buying and painting a keyhole cover or tow hook cover is about $65. And that assumes it's intact underneath!

That red wagon looks good!

The bumper itself is very clearly not intact.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cojawfee posted:

The bumper itself is very clearly not intact.

Yeah seller says it's not intact.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Goober Peas posted:

Already been covered, but yeah, it'll take $500 to "fix" if you buy a replica bumper cover in primer black and put it on yourself, and ignore all the busted internal poo poo.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Residency Evil posted:

This one is good though. Dealer is willing to do $17k inclusive of doc fees, refurbishing some curb rash, and removing a small dent. Seems fair? I may try to go up midweek or next weekend.

That red wagon really does look good. Hope it works out for you, it's a great color combo.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

That red wagon really does look good. Hope it works out for you, it's a great color combo.

It does. But dad spec tho.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

It does. But dad spec tho.

What's dad spec about it? Isn't pretty much any wagon dad spec by definition? :confused:

Is tuning the F31s worth it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

He literally hung up on me when I asked him if he had any flexibility in his price.

new thread title!!!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BTW I am now referring to this color as "iMessage blue"

Paradoxish posted:

I've been ignoring it because other than the transmission it has nothing I want, but I'm getting desperate.
:smith::respek::smith:

I'm at the point where I'm looking at cheap 100k-130k mile e92s because I just need a fuckin car and can't keep waiting around for the perfect low mileage one (and then miss out on it again.)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 24, 2019

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Update: trans just died in 740. It was supposed to be new! :itwaspoo:

Sitting on an offramp waiting for tow. It shuddered getting on highway, slipping and trans limp mode on dash, and when I stopped at offramp no go, a little squealing and shudder and lots of smoke.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Big Taint posted:

Update: trans just died in 740. It was supposed to be new! :itwaspoo:

Sitting on an offramp waiting for tow. It shuddered getting on highway, slipping and trans limp mode on dash, and when I stopped at offramp no go, a little squealing and shudder and lots of smoke.

any idea whats gonna come now? Repair or something new?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Planning to sell on my beater daily ('07 Fit 5-speed) since it's a salvage title and I won't be able to bring it home - importing salvage cars from US->Canada and vice-versa is verboten, as we learned when we moved down here. Talk me out of a $4k black on tan '06 330i with 126k mi. Slushbox, unfortunately, but I'm honestly getting pretty drat tired of manual transmissions in my dailies. :sigh:

FWIW my wife and I bought an off-lease '06 328i and owned it for a few years so I know these cars relatively well. It was a 6MT though and I don't know BMW automatics at all.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's a GM box IIRC in the E46s

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
he's talking e90s which i think had the blah ZF autotragic

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
e: Oops, I forgot the '06 was e92. I guess my post is worthless!

I DD'd an 04 330Ci for several years with the automatic (with tiptronic!) and had zero problems with it. It was a good, smooth shifting unit, and the car got decent mileage. I believe the transmissions in these cars "learn" driving habits, so you'll want to reset that - Google for instructions.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Even in the e9x I think it's a 6L45e or something

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BraveUlysses posted:

he's talking e90s which i think had the blah ZF autotragic

Parts catalog has a ZF 6HP19Z. The thing that mostly goes wrong is failed solenoids, although since it's a sealed design there's always a chance that the whole thing grenades and requires replacement. If it shifts rough or hunts it's almost certainly got a solenoid failure.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

rscott posted:

Even in the e9x I think it's a 6L45e or something

Some E92s had the 6L45E but none of the sedans did.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Looking at a few more cars, and that dealer seems to really want to sell the red wagon. Offering 17k including the BS $700 document fee, but 18k otd if I pick it up before the month is over. I'm tempted to see if I find anything else this week, and maybe squeeze them a bit more. Am I being too greedy?

How much more pain/less fun is this going to be than a GTI?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Depends on what you mean by fun, but it shouldn't be any more of a pain/more expensive to maintain than a GTI. I would say drive them both, though. I considered a GTI as an F30 alternative a few months ago and actually walked away feeling pretty blah about it. I felt like I'd have to move up to a new-ish Golf R to be happy and that's drastically more expensive than an 4-5 year old F30.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Red Wagon almost back on the road. One more inspection to take care of

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Anyone used a "Platypus" no-drill front license plate mount?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Anyone used a "Platypus" no-drill front license plate mount?

If that uses the tow hook socket that Google indicates it does, I had one of those on my -V and it worked well.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Combat Theory posted:

any idea whats gonna come now? Repair or something new?

It got me off my rear end to fix the water pump in the M5 finally, so that’s done. Now I’ll get the E38 off the ground and see what happened, but I gotta wait for it to stop raining because the driveway is too steep to push it into the garage. There was a hell of a puddle of ATF under the car where I stopped, and it was definitely being spewed while at speed because the trunk and back bumper have a nice mist on them.

Whatever it is, I’ll fix it. I’m hoping I can just replace the TC or something and not have to tear it apart. Or maybe just roll the dice on a pick n pull trans, lots of 5HP24s in junkyards.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 23, 2021

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I have one of these and it owns. Got it for Xmas and have used it at least 6 times since, on my various beater cars since it's been so rainy/cold this year here.

https://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-18000mAh-SuperSafe-Starter-Portable/dp/B0748D8KT6

It also provides as a fast charger for my phone when I'm busy using it and don't want to plug it in (because there isn't a wall-based charger near where I am)

this isn't even a fair picture, it's like half an inch longer than the pen.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 26, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY9FZM4/

It worked to jump my mom's Murano when the battery was dead. I bought it because of the one time I was stuck in a UPS depot with a dead battery and it was frustrating as hell trying to get any help to get it out of there. I told myself it would never happen again, so I waited two years and bought that.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Looks like the exact same product. The question is, do you really want to be quietly singing "Just beat it beat it beat it... do do do" every time you jump start a car the rest of your life?

Gooloo isn't a GREAT name either but..

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Gotta re-gasket my oil cooler housing on my 135 myself because the dealer wanted like 900 bucks to do it lmao

E: it sounds like the whole front main seal is busted from the dumbass I had trying to change my accessory belt this summer gently caress

I don't really want to send it back to the guy who couldn't diagnose (or caused??) a missing o-ring in my charge pipe resulting in a boost leak. Though to be fair to him his specialty is just rebuilding not diagnosing so maybe it'd be worth the savings.

The Big Jesus fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 27, 2019

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Got my Z3 Coupe out of storage today because it's starting to get kinda nice and warm enough. Took it for inspection and it passed no problem, and I am vindicated! I thought a brake was sticking and the front drivers side is. Now to... let it set for a bit as I wait for parts.... wait this isn't a success at all.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Reposting this from another forum in case ya'll have better infos.

I've been researching taller shifters lately. And I'm starting to go batty. I like the style of the RTD/CAE shifter with the placement and throw, but don't want the return the center 'feature' they have when you're in 1st or 2nd.

Shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9x1xybRhxc

But if you go watch loads of videos of BMW E46/E36 5 Spd CAE shifters. Some of them seem to do this. Some of them don't. And I can't figure out why. Personally, I want the gear lever to stay in place of whatever gear I'm in. So if there's a way to set the lever up to do this, I'd love to know. There don't seem to be different versions. And the instal guide doesn't mention anything pertaining to this 'feature' and every post I seem to find just says "FEELS AMAZING" and rarely is the feature mentioned.

So I can't figure out if this is something you tune the shifter to do, if they all do it, etc.

This Z3 doesn't do it for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4j4fPV_g14

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I have the cae and it returns to centre yeah. You could remove the spring I guess but I don’t see the problem with it as you can grip it well and do what you want?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Bape Culture posted:

I have the cae and it returns to centre yeah. You could remove the spring I guess but I don’t see the problem with it as you can grip it well and do what you want?

Is this common for people to do? Am I to assume that every video I see where it is visibly in the left/right gates, that the person removed the spring? Because I've never seen anyone mention that they removed the spring.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why wouldn't you want it to return to center?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Cojawfee posted:

Why wouldn't you want it to return to center?

Personal preference. I prefer that it function like a normal shifter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That is a pretty rad shifter setup.