Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Radish posted:

It's kind of funny when you consider the insane expectations people had that Mueller was going to do something like perp walk Donald Trump Jr out of his house in hand cuffs.

Considering the scale of the allegations, that was a perfectly reasonable expectation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Radish posted:

People need to admit then that impeachment is no longer a power of congress.

I mean.... yes? This is one of many deep design flaws in our government.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Gripweed posted:

Considering the scale of the allegations, that was a perfectly reasonable expectation

But it didn't happen hence the fact that there were unreasonable expectations set up around the Mueller probe. It's not the people watching the new's fault but the drum beating that Meuller was going to save the nation was pretty strong when it turns out that wasn't really based on anything that concrete.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 24, 2019

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Z. Autobahn posted:

If this is true then what's the point of worrying about appearances and how this will reflect on the Democrats since the President is effectively a dictator if they want to be? It sounds like a bunch of norms holding stuff together when those have been deteriorating rapidly.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
the problem with the perception of mueller is the idea that

1) he was gonna find something to implicate trump
2) Republican senate goes "oh god this is really bad! We hate russia so much more than Democrats|
3)Trump gets removed from office

1) is already a stretch, 2+3 was gonna take a miracle

stuff like kushner/don jr getting indicted wasn't too far off base because money laundering but the expectation that trump was gonna go down because of mueller was obviously not gonna happen

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The problem isn't "the powers of congress", the problem is the congress is paralyzed by partisan divisions and is incapable of acting in the interests of the nation as a whole. It's incapable of acting on anything, despite its powers.

That's not the same thing as the President being a dictator, though. In some ways it makes the President less powerful (he can't get legislation he wants through -- see the failure of the Medicaid destruction bill). In other ways it makes him more powerful since he functionally can't be removed from office.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The problem isn't "the powers of congress", the problem is the congress is paralyzed by partisan divisions and is incapable of acting in the interests of the nation as a whole. It's incapable of acting on anything, despite its powers.

That's not the same thing as the President being a dictator, though. In some ways it makes the President less powerful (he can't get legislation he wants through -- see the failure of the Medicaid destruction bill). In other ways it makes him more powerful since he functionally can't be removed from office.

It really depends on where these emergency orders come down honestly. Also Trump has done plenty of damage and personal enrichment without the help of Congress outside their covering for everything he does.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Radish posted:

If this is true then what's the point of worrying about appearances and how this will reflect on the Democrats since the President is effectively a dictator if they want to be? It sounds like a bunch of norms holding stuff together when those have been deteriorating rapidly

What? The only check on the Presidency is elections, and the Dems have a very real chance of removing him in 2020. Why gift him with a “not guilty” verdict right before the actual very plausible check on him?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Radish posted:

It really depends on where these emergency orders come down honestly.

it's gonna be something lame like the court ruling that you can spend this random $10 million (but nothing else) on the wall because congress worded the funding legislation badly enough so that the department of <> can use it to build the wall.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nonsense posted:

The Democrats failing to impeach Trump would be on par with Hillary losing to him, so no Pelosi doesn't want to give them that (again).

This doesn't make sense.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

KingNastidon posted:

Idiotic. How many people 65 retirees are enrolled in private insurance given the non-competitive premiums / OOPs vs. services for Medicare?

KingNastidon posted:

Part D isn't the only aspect of medicare with premiums and deductibles? Look back at what you were responding to.

How does lack of negotiation on part D make private insurance any more or less competitive? Medicare is only available to those 65+. Private insurance largely covers the rest. They are two separate markets based on age. Medicare could have VA/DOD levels of negotiation and it wouldn't make private insurance more or less competitive because their users can't switch to either Medicare or VA.

You're trying to change the subject now from people enrolled in Medicare being on "private" Medicare plans (not really private, privately managed but with all the costs paid by the government and with Medicare Part D deliberately sabotaged to make them competitive, and which constantly profit by ripping off the government although you obviously hoped I didn't know any of that) to some weird circular argument that private insurance is competitive against Medicare for people under 65 because they're not allowed to have Medicare.

Why do you have to lie and dissemble and mislead and try to trick people so much when you defend the private insurance industry, do you think? What does that say about your beliefs/character that you can't be honest, and wouldn't it be better just to be a better person with better beliefs and then you could just be honest all the time?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 24, 2019

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Z. Autobahn posted:

tbf, the founders did recognize the danger that political parties posed to the systems they designed.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

But it didn't happen hence the fact that there were unreasonable expectations set up around the Mueller probe. It's not the people watching the new's fault but the drum beating that Meuller was going to save the nation was pretty strong when it turns out that wasn't really based on anything that concrete.

Just because it didn't happen doesn't mean the expectation was unreasonable.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
there are like 4 good democrats and none of them are running or can’t run . I’d rather have Tlaib than any of these complete centrist idiots who offer nothing new and no benefit for me to vote for them . she should run just to push the Overton window to the left

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

tbf, the founders did recognize the danger that political parties posed to the systems they designed.

They recognized them, but didn’t put anywhere near enough systemic safeguards to mitigate their impact (because they saw it as a much smaller problem than monarchy or mob rule). Like I think the founders would dismiss a Trump scenario as implausible because *obviously* Congress would remove a President this unfit to serve.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Z. Autobahn posted:

They recognized them, but didn’t put anywhere near enough systemic safeguards to mitigate their impact (because they saw it as a much smaller problem than monarchy or mob rule). Like I think the founders would dismiss a Trump scenario as implausible because *obviously* Congress would remove a President this unfit to serve.

That’s been true for a lot of American history.
But in 2020 Trump could literally commit the watergate scandal exactly the same way as Nixon did and his party would stand behind him and he’d serve out his entire second term.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Z. Autobahn posted:

TBF if it weren't for modern mass media, specifically Fox, they probably would have.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Gillenbrand making a speech, a good one, but I still don't want to vote for her. She strikes me as fake, opportunist, and not what's needed.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gatts posted:

Gillenbrand making a speech, a good one, but I still don't want to vote for her. She strikes me as fake, opportunist, and not what's needed.

It's pretty hard to not come off as an opportunist when you completely change your political identity each time your constituency changes (from East Bumfuck to NY State to the country). And not to defend Franken, but also shoving one of your colleagues (and potential 2020 opponents) out the door while ignoring worse behavior on your own staff.

Maaaaybe she would be a good president in the end, but it's hard to read her, and I don't see any reason for anyone to put their chips on her.

e: She would get absolutely hammered with the whole "Hillary's replacement!" thing by Trump, which isn't fair but would not be helpful to her in a general election.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Exactly. Franken should be held accountable but what's obvious from Gillenbrand was to use #metoo as part of her Presidential launch and then come to know she harbors the same bullshit and protects it. She should remain at 0% and end her career.

Plus with the opiates policy she shows she doesn't get it. She's not what's needed.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah we're very quickly moving to a realm where the only way things happen is by executive order. And considering those can just be reversed by the next president that's uh not an efficient way to do things.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

You're trying to change the subject now from people enrolled in Medicare being on "private" Medicare plans (not really private, privately managed but with all the costs paid by the government and with Medicare Part D deliberately sabotaged to make them competitive, and which constantly profit by ripping off the government although you obviously hoped I didn't know any of that) to some weird circular argument that private insurance is competitive against Medicare for people under 65 because they're not allowed to have Medicare.

Why do you have to lie and dissemble and mislead and try to trick people so much when you defend the private insurance industry, do you think? What does that say about your beliefs/character that you can't be honest, and wouldn't it be better just to be a better person with better beliefs and then you could just be honest all the time?

Again, have no idea what you're talking about. The discussion that led to this was about free vs. affordable/accessible. Someone said that even Medicare would be viewed as neoliberal today given it has premiums and cost sharing. You responded saying it was actually intended that way to make private insurance (not private insurers) more competitive.

Private companies administer both Medicare Part D (prescription drugs) and Part C (Medicare advantage, which includes prescription drugs). Notice how your article doesn't say a drat thing about how lack of Part D drug negotiation makes private insurance vs. Medicare (or private insurers against nobody, for that matter) any more or less competitive?

Are you just flailing after saying something provocative and edgy yet dumb and false? Private insurance companies administering Medicare plans (C or D) isn't ideal, given they are still for-profit. Medicare Part D not being able to negotiate rates is bad because it's a massive hand-out to pharma. But I don't understand what connection you're trying to make about competitiveness and about whom vs. what.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KingNastidon posted:

private insurance (not private insurers)

Could you clarify the difference between these, because they seem roughly synonymous to me. Sorry if you explained it earlier and I missed it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

KingNastidon posted:

Again, have no idea what you're talking about. The discussion that led to this was about free vs. affordable/accessible. Someone said that even Medicare would be viewed as neoliberal today given it has premiums and cost sharing. You responded saying it was actually intended that way to make private insurance (not private insurers) more competitive.

That's not what I said, re-read my first post

E: here ya go

VitalSigns posted:

No it wouldn't be, because it wasn't deliberately designed to be inferior to private insurance to ensure "competition" like neolib shillery inevitably is

Added bolding to emphasize where you misread

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 24, 2019

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Radish posted:

If this is true then what's the point of worrying about appearances and how this will reflect on the Democrats since the President is effectively a dictator if they want to be? It sounds like a bunch of norms holding stuff together when those have been deteriorating rapidly.

We're neck deep in like six different constitutional crises at this point, we may as well acknowledge that we've got one more to toss on the pile.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Children are dying in cages, but it's the optics of impeachment that is the problem. Feckless, boneless, pink slime liberals.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
So it's ok to dunk on Gillibrand still because she was way too opportunistic taking out Franken?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kobayashi posted:

Children are dying in cages, but it's the optics of impeachment that is the problem. Feckless, boneless, pink slime liberals.

Impeachment wouldn't fix that and you loving know it. But anything to let you OWN THE LIBS once more, right?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This president is encouraging discord in the nation, disrupting our alliances, putting lives at risk, children have died, when right wing nutcases are threatening lives sending bombs and such, and the Democrats (half of whom are centrist or right) won't act. I guess they need to have something bite them or threaten them before someone does something.

And the worst thing is, people voted and supported Trump in 2016. So he is elected. He was chosen.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SirPablo posted:

So it's ok to dunk on Gillibrand still because she was way too opportunistic taking out Franken?

No. She was right about that.

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1109887494311555073

Mayor Pete is having a moment!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

mcmagic posted:

No. She was right about that.

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1109887494311555073

Mayor Pete is having a moment!

He's got buttmentum!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

SirPablo posted:

it's not and everyone who does it is revealing themselves as someone who doesn't care about sexual harassment except as a weapon to use against people they don't like

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Anecdotally a bunch of the Beto-likers in my local dem groups are increasingly disappointed in his pretty dismal record and are talking up Buttgieg as a substitute, which makes me pretty hopeful.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Mayor Pete is the better choice, especially between the two

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

bird cooch posted:

Mayor Pete is the better choice, especially between the two

Between Beto and Butt? Yeah Butt is an order of magnitude or two better. It also encourages them to support progressive policies even if he doesn't go anywhere.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

That's not what I said, re-read my first post

E: here ya go

Added bolding to emphasize where you misread

Right, yet any M4A plan today that didn't cover 100% of services and included any deductibles or cost sharing would be seen as "liberal" and not sufficiently left by the standards that exist in this election cycle.

Canada and UK don't have private insurers and insurance because they seek to keep them competitive service-for-service relative to the single player offering. It's that there was a choice to have their publicly funded healthcare provide a set of services while private insurers handled other services or supplemental insurance to contain costs.

This is a no-no for the left, as it creates disparate levels of care and maintains a for-profit private insurance system. A medicare opt-in plan that allowed sufficient drug price negotiation + minimal patient OOP would result in private insurance plans demanding a similar discount to be cost competitive or risk losing enrollees to the medicare opt-in plan. I think Medicare opt-in is flawed because it still results in a discrete choice between two plans rather than base level coverage for all, but then it's just a discussion about what "base coverage" should be. It's either somewhat limited like UK/Canada, or all-in everything with no cost sharing as is the demand of the left.

VitalSigns posted:

Not part of Medicare as it was originally designed. Created in 1997 by a Republican Congress and a neoliberal Democratic administration, expanded by the Bush Administration in 2005 which also deliberately made Medicare Part D worse than it needed to be by banning it from negotiating drug prices in order to make private insurance more competitive.

Again, how does lack of ability to negotiate drug prices in Part D make private insurance any more or less competitive? Even if the premiums and cost sharing aspects of Part D aren't your ideal, people that are eligible for Part D or Part C typically aren't opting out of those plans to purchase private, non-Medicare insurance. Those that do are still employed and their OOP is likely heavily subsidized by their employer. Medicare could be even more competitive in this small segment of 65+, employed, and better insurance with lower OOP than Part C/D with drug price negotiation. But that's already a very narrow slice of the population that private insurers wouldn't really care about losing given they're likely to use more healthcare services than younger, healthier folks in the employer group plan.

KingNastidon fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 24, 2019

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SirPablo posted:

franken was a piece of poo poo lol, even if she did it to be opportunistic it wouldn't matter

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

franken would have been a decent pres candidate but he just had to go and be a sexmonster

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

KingNastidon posted:

Right, yet any M4A plan today that didn't cover 100% of services and included any deductibles or cost sharing would be seen as "liberal" and not sufficiently left by the standards that exist in this election cycle.

Well yeah there's no good policy reason for deductibles or cost-sharing, the idea is based on myths about people mooching healthcare they don't really need, so it's meant to discourage people from seeking care and thus is directly harmful to public health. Of course any plan that includes them is not as good as a plan that doesn't. But it wouldn't be dismissed as "neoliberal shillery" the way the Democrats' public option proposals are because those proposals deliberately hobble the public option and ensure it is always worse than private insurance, which is loving monstrous and not comparable to Medicare's merely bad unnecessary cost-sharing.

The rest of your post is based on your misreading of what I said so I'm going to ignore it, feel free to re-read what i said if you're making an honest mistake and not lying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Mayor Pete being on the rise is encouraging. I really want to see Bidens numbers start to fall.