Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Sock The Great posted:

Try rolling the digital crown.

Thanks, that was it! I guess you can highlight one of the display fields for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Deadguy2322 posted:

Space Grey tends to be ok, since they are anodized. I have one that’s two years old from a Chinese Amazon supplier that still looks good.

Another good suggestion for a nice band cheap: check places like TJMaxx, Marshall’s, Winners, etc. I found a Monowear stainless steel dress band, which retails over $100 for $26 CDN last fall. Definitely a step up from the generic bootlegs.

I get dragged to TJM fairly often, what section are they usually in? That little electronic area over by the registers?

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Warbird posted:

I get dragged to TJM fairly often, what section are they usually in? That little electronic area over by the registers?

Either there or in Men’s Accessories. I found mine in the accessory section, but I have seen other bands in the electronics at times.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

HiredGun posted:

Some 16 year old kid from Australia is cranking out quality watch apps. Check out MiniWiki - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/miniwiki/id1448143759

Wikipedia on your watch. What a world to be living in.

Can confirm it's fully functional and insane. Here's to future days.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Lum_ posted:

Can confirm it's fully functional and insane. Here's to future days.

lol just realised I know them, slightly mentored! And can confirm they are talented for sure.

Though they’re using some framework everyone hates it’s still working. Well enough!

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Still, this is the best watch and a good Wikipedia app

Works without phone, and finds nearby POI too if you’re not searching...

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/v-for-wikipedia/id993435362?mt=8

Violator
May 15, 2003

I thought the Watch automatically jump on WiFi if the phone wasn’t around, but I was noodling around in the Watch’s settings app and found that no WiFi network was selected. Once I tapped one and entered my password via finger drawing, it now joins wifi by itself and says it’ll work without the phone nearby.

You may want to check the Watch’s settings app and make sure you have a network selecting just in case.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What use case/problem does Wikipedia on a tiny screen on your wrist solve?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Boris Galerkin posted:

What use case/problem does Wikipedia on a tiny screen on your wrist solve?

Spoiling movies in the theater itself

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Pub quiz cheating.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

jackhunter64 posted:

Pub quiz cheating.

Those people are the worse :argh:

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
I am going to see if it is possible for him to make a Discord rich notifications reply app because I’m sick of having to grab a phone or something and it would be very handy make it how slack does it.

Independent of the phone ideally but their API and stuff is developer / user hostile. :(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

jackhunter64 posted:

Pub quiz cheating.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Agreed. Don’t cheat at pub trivia. Do what I do and bring smart friends.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Even Wikipedia phone apps are pretty pointless because I only read Wikipedia via google search results.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Boris Galerkin posted:

*worst

Worse means something is not as good as something else, worst means it is as bad as it can get.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Deadguy2322 posted:

*worst

Worse means something is not as good as something else, worst means it is as bad as it can get.

well nazis are probably worse than pub quiz cheaters, on balance

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Electric Bugaloo posted:

well nazis are probably worse than pub quiz cheaters, on balance

That’s true, but he failed to say what pub quiz cheaters are worse than. If they are worse than blowjobs, they could still be good. If they are worse than being stabbed with a rusty fireplace poker, that’s pretty bad.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Apple Watch: worse than blowjobs, better than being stabbed with a rusty fireplace poker

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hey yo when you are doing a workout what does it mean when the active calories is in red? I haven’t been able to figure out why it does that.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Been wondering that too, and googling says you can cycle through the metrics using the crown and they’ll highlight accordingly.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I think it has something to do with your heart rate.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

MarcusSA posted:

Hey yo when you are doing a workout what does it mean when the active calories is in red? I haven’t been able to figure out why it does that.
Turn the crown and you can make whatever number you want red.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Ok that’s cool but what does the red actually mean? lol. I’m guessing nothing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Red grabs attention so is easy to see if you're in a hurry?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Each stat is a different color when highlighted. It’s weird.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
II feel so silly, but I honestly didn’t know that you could change the orientation of your crown without changing wrists. To be fair, you couldn’t when I got my Series 2. This is going to make life a lot less annoying!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Deadguy2322 posted:

II feel so silly, but I honestly didn’t know that you could change the orientation of your crown without changing wrists. To be fair, you couldn’t when I got my Series 2. This is going to make life a lot less annoying!

I hate to break this to you, but I've had my crown orientation inward since series 0, this isn't new.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Grassy Knowles posted:

I hate to break this to you, but I've had my crown orientation inward since series 0, this isn't new.

Somehow I missed it. But I already felt enough like a dummy, so you pointing that out doesn’t bother me!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They should still have left/right versions of the watch because I want the crown on the upper left corner on my left wrist.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

xzzy posted:

They should still have left/right versions of the watch because I want the crown on the upper left corner on my left wrist.

Seeing as how I can’t afford a Big Gulp right now, being able to do that without buying a whole new watch is making me happy.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Raffles posted:

Are there any good milanese loop knockoffs? A lot on Amazon seem to be too cheap to be any good. I'd happily pay in the $30-50 range for something decent, but everything seems to be around $15 range (which is fine by me if there actually are any good)
I’m not sure but the straight knockoffs (with the same design as Apple's) don't seem to be common anymore on Amazon. Plenty of copies of other bands but not the Milanese for whatever reason.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

japtor posted:

I’m not sure but the straight knockoffs (with the same design as Apple's) don't seem to be common anymore on Amazon. Plenty of copies of other bands but not the Milanese for whatever reason.

Go to AliExpress, buy from a seller offering ePacket shipping. Plenty of Milanese loops on there these days.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My S4 with cellular is only receiving iMessages and other notifications when its in range of my iPhone, which negates the purpose of having cellular. I've hard resetted it several times. Why?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
iSmoothRun users: What do the different colors at the bottom of the screen mean?

vvv thanks!

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 27, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Heart rate zone.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Deadguy2322 posted:

Go to AliExpress, buy from a seller offering ePacket shipping. Plenty of Milanese loops on there these days.
Same thing going on there...I think. Looks like most of the listings just crop out showing the watch connection parts completely. Most of the ones that do show it are using different designs like the ones all over Amazon now.

(Talking about knockoffs of Apple's specific design here, not just Milanese loops for Apple Watch in general)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Deadguy2322 posted:

Seeing as how I can’t afford a Big Gulp right now, being able to do that without buying a whole new watch is making me happy.

You've got the Apple monkey paw!

Announcing the Watch5! With no crown or buttons! All features controlled by FaceID! Just roll your eyes to scroll!

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Zero One posted:

Announcing the Watch5! With no crown or buttons! All features controlled by FaceID! Just roll your eyes to scroll!

With my financial situation being what it is, that won’t effect me for years! Muahahahahahahaha!

:cry:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zero One posted:

I’d be down with this if it worked well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Zero One posted:

Shh my uncle at Nintendo tells me

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/rainbrow/id1312458558?mt=8 this guy will be in control of the new watch!