Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

McCloud posted:

Lol this from the dude that draws wow fan fiction.

Did I say I wasn’t? You don’t see me getting defensive here, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

ending to the Dark Knight only works as a tragedy if it is about Bruce still being Batman, while having to dodge the police.
If it's about him making himself into a martyr to save Harvey's reputation, he has to still be out there fighting against the new breed of criminals that the Joker is the vanguard of.
Yeah, I get that. My assumption was also that Batman continued to be a hunted vigilante. But to be fair, people also forget that Batman Begins kind of set up a reason why Gotham has a bunch of flamboyant and crazy villains (The escaped Arkham criminals still on the loose exposed to fear gas and seeing a giant bat monster). It's something only partially utilized in the second film, and in a very minor fashion.

So, I guess I'm disagreeing with two of your original points:

1) I don't think The Dark Knight is actually setting up more villains in the ending
2) The Dark Knight trilogy really isn't all that cohesive at all in the one-big-story sense. It's sort of a three film evolution of Nolan's thinking on the character starting with him finding .a man who just does a bunch of push ups fighting crime being fascinating to Batman is literally an awful idea, but what he stands for is something pretty decent.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Arist posted:

Why do you come to this thread just to piss people off

Because he thinks being BOTL is something to aspire to.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Now that BOTL is gone there's a power vacuum that every fuckin dick on the forums fights to claim, it's just like TDKR

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I like Snyder's "I want 'realistic' superheroes!", then he makes something like BvS, which is utterly unrealistic.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

McCloud posted:

Lol this from the dude that draws wow fan fiction.

Nobody who posts on something awful is not the most grognard of nerds. And I like it that way!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Davros1 posted:

I like Snyder's "I want 'realistic' superheroes!", then he makes something like BvS, which is utterly unrealistic.

Oh, so cloning a giant monster from a dead alien is 'unrealistic' now. I never.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Phylodox posted:

Did I say I wasn’t? You don’t see me getting defensive here, do you?

He thinks he's somehow superior to us so when you point out the obvious irony in his statement he see it as an insult.
He thinks to himself "How dare they!? I am nothing like THEM, I'm a BROed-out Flex Lord just like my Randian Ubermench hero Zach (who would totally love to hang out with me and bench nerds while we prove our mental superiority through debate)"

But alas, he comes to this place instead, this craven pit of subhumanoids, to desperately try and prove something.

Too bad we all agree he's dumb and his ideas are stupid.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I challenge McCloud to a push-up contest.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Flex Lord. That's a new one lol. Snyder is totally a jock dudebro who loves Ayn Rand amirite? :razz:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A Challenger Appears.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

No, for real. Sincerely, I do have a lot of respect for Zack Snyder, I have difficulty fitting my exercise regimen around my relatively normal job. Making mega-budgeted films while staying in good shape is legit an achievement.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Aphrodite posted:

A Challenger Appears.

Unsurprisingly, the same two challengers from every single discussion

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Samuringa posted:

Unsurprisingly, the same two challengers from every single discussion

What can I say, I love me some Snyder movies :)

Hearing him just turbonerd the gently caress out during his charity screenings Q&As and explaining his perspective on filmmaking is great, and I hope a lot of his critics come around to hear what he has to say. It won't change their minds about his movies I'm sure, but imo it's just cool to get some insight into his thought process, even if whoever felt his approach was/is wrong.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

teagone posted:

Flex Lord. That's a new one lol. Snyder is totally a jock dudebro who loves Ayn Rand amirite? :razz:

Yes?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I challenge McCloud to a shut-up contest wherein he shuts up for the good of the thread. Be the hero McCloud, save the thread by not posting.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Goons help me. My.mother has asked me to pick which one of these movies to watch with me and fiancé*

Ant man
Antman and wasp
Spiderverse**
Captain Marvel

Help!

* she has seen all the MCU except these ones because she is whom i get my nerdiness from

** let's be honest, it's Spiderverse

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The kid angle in antman might be a hit with mom (and come on you can't watch am2 before 1) but we all know the answer is gonna be spider verse

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bunnyofdoom posted:

This is the right answer but you can’t really make a terrible choice here. But you should pick Spider-Verse.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I like that there are people who are already saying the Snyder's Fountainhead, which hasn't had a single frame shot, is an "ironic" take on the book.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Goons help me. My.mother has asked me to pick which one of these movies to watch with me and fiancé*

Ant man
Antman and wasp
Spiderverse**
Captain Marvel

Help!

* she has seen all the MCU except these ones because she is whom i get my nerdiness from

Depends on what your mother likes. Mine liked the Ant-Man films, but she wouldn't sit down for Spider-Verse since it's a "cartoon".

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Those are all good choices. Ant-Man is probably the easiest to digest, Spider-Verse is the best but is also super dense, and Captain Marvel is the best if you want your mom to be able to follow Marvel movies from here out.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ok.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
One of those movies requires going to the theatre, which seems like significantly more of a commitment than the others.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Phylodox posted:

One of those movies requires going to the theatre, which seems like significantly more of a commitment than the others.

We have a VIP theatre with full bar, reclining leather seats
So she is fine going to the theater here.

But yeah, Spiderverse at home seems to be the winner

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Zach Snyder's take on realistic superheroism isn't really that interesting to discuss, but I will point out that his "realistic superheroes need to be brutal because that's what it requires to have a vigilante to fight what the police can't fight" assumes specifically the *realistic* existence of criminals for whom the criminal justice system is insufficiently brutal to fight.

It assumes that the dream of the superhero is about only having superior firepower to real cops, and not say, avoiding being corrupt/racist the way the real police are, or being more careful in the use of lethal force, or being more altruistic/willing to put themselves at risk, or being more a part of the community being policed...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Here's the bit from the Q&A where Snyder talks about Batman killing people and other stuff. It's better to watch than to read it; he gets all worked up and I love it.

https://twitter.com/boomborks/status/1109673855402930176

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Wow, he sounds like way more of an incoherent douchebag in video form.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I realize there's really only two people pushing it but holy poo poo is the Snyder chat insufferable. Kind of like his last two movies.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He sounds like lowtax

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That man absolutely sounds like somebody with a stunningly visionary Justice League that we will never see.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

X-O posted:

I realize there's really only two people pushing it but holy poo poo is the Snyder chat insufferable. Kind of like his last two movies.

Seems pretty easy to ignore.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ant man
Antman and wasp
Spiderverse**
Captain Marvel

Help!

Trick question! You watch all of them because you love your mom and fiance, and watching movies together is a good bonding experience.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"Once you've lost your virginity to this movie..."

I feel like once you make that sort of point you've already lost the argument

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

He sounds like lowtax

Lol. Sorta I guess.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

X-O posted:

Ever see that quote of his where he said Bruce Wayne should've been raped in prison in "Batman Begins"?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Okay to refute Snyder's point there is an inherent surrealism to both the Marvel and DC universes that even reaches the more "grounded" properties like Batman and The Punisher. Batman's rouge's gallery includes and mutant crocodile man, and hulk zombie and a shapeshifting mud man. The Punsher once hunted demons on behalf of heaven, died and was resurrected as a Frankenstein-esqe monster, and most recently fought supervillans in an offshoot of Iron Man's armor. The fact that they havn't killed anyone (or at least anyone innocent in the Punsher's case) even by accident is not the unrealistic thing about them. They have done so much weirder poo poo and live in a much weirder worlds than ours. The man difference between Marvel's Wakanda and it's DC counterpart is that with the latter it's not racist to say it's populated mostly by gorillas because it is; it's called Gorilla City for a reason. In the Marvel universe it's not uncommon for one of the richest men in the world to pal around with an actual wizard and a literal Nordic god.
Now as demonstrated by The Dark Knight and The Netflix Punisher series you don't have to have this if these characters exist alone or in a relative vacuum. But with BvS Snyder tried to tie his "realistic" Batman into the wider DC universe but decided that the rest should also be "realistic" too and therein lies the problem because people like that surrealism, it's embraced by both fans and creators alike. Creators are going to want to see the Justice League visit Gorilla City and creators and Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy movies prove that the weirdness can sell. Cutting that out just eliminates a lot of opportunities for all of your properties.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 25, 2019

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Batman does "what cops can't" because his skills and training and resources are so absurdly beyond those of any cop in the history of policing and because as a vigilante he chooses not to adhere to any rules.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

he also defies the corruption of the police in his setting, which he does by doing what they don't and... using lethal force

That sure as hell rang true in 2016

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Ever see that quote of his where he said Bruce Wayne should've been raped in prison in "Batman Begins"?

wait wat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Zack Snyder posted:

Everyone says that about "Batman Begins." "Batman's dark." I'm like, "Okay, no, Batman's cool." He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn't, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that's how that would go.