Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

I haven't gone explicitly cliff diving to check or anything but the few times I've fallen off the world in Sekiro it's just respawned me at the edge like "what, you fell? No way, you're a ninja, that doesn't seem right, I think you're just standing there". It's awesome and means that it's always fun to try exploring.

it seems to take a certain amount of health when you do it and if losing that health would kill you, you die, but otherwise it just plops you back up where you fell off and that rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm finally getting around to the Blood & Wine expansion for the Witcher 3 and had my arse handed to me in a cave by a new beastie.

It's blue, rolls towards you at incredible speed and looks like this:

Gotta go fast.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Dewgy posted:

Sekiro has a saturation slider in the graphics options, which is nice with an HDR display because you can really make it beamingly bright, and there’s a ton of wonderful color usage throughout.

And on the other side of the coin...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQKGd8Z_hV4

Definitely doing a full play of the game like this at some point. :allears:

Is this game a modern Tenchu? We put hundreds of hours into that way back in the 90s, but now it seems like it'd just frustrate me.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ariza posted:

Is this game a modern Tenchu? We put hundreds of hours into that way back in the 90s, but now it seems like it'd just frustrate me.

It's a lot more Dark Souls set in mystical feudal Japan. But stealth is a bigger part than previous Souls games.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Ariza posted:

It's like bloodborne and tenchu had a baby. If you're not entirely up for it it will definitely gently caress you up.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

One of the first? bosses in Sekiro is the Guardian Ape, a huge white gorilla with beefy, pointed slam attacks who relentlessly goes after you. Eventually you stun him and grab the handle of the sword that has been impaled in his neck, and behead him. "Shinobi Execution" appears on screento signify a boss kill.

then the headless corpse gets up, grabs the sword off the ground, grabs it's head in his other hand, and surprise! Another boss fight, immediately. He moves and attacks really creepily too, it's awesome.

a little thing I like within this little thing: the guardian ape's second fight has an AOE screaming blood attack which deals damage and poisons you. It took me a while to notice it's done by him putting his severed head back on his neck and screaming.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Sekiro is not a Soulsborne game for sure. There isn't a way to create a "build" and the ethos is more about clashing with your foe than the more cautious approach that souls encourages.

I think the Tenchu comparison is most apt. The areas are really fun to navigate and sneak around in, but I find the biggest weakness of the game to be the boss fights and minibosses. They feel like they really funnel you down into one exact playstyle that FROM is lookkng to see you perform.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
West of Loathing is hitting all the marks it could for me. I'm loving all the text, and I've actually laughed out loud at a few points.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Glukeose posted:

Sekiro is not a Soulsborne game for sure. There isn't a way to create a "build" and the ethos is more about clashing with your foe than the more cautious approach that souls encourages.

I think the Tenchu comparison is most apt. The areas are really fun to navigate and sneak around in, but I find the biggest weakness of the game to be the boss fights and minibosses. They feel like they really funnel you down into one exact playstyle that FROM is lookkng to see you perform.

Oh hey, I might have to rethink getting it then because the footage I saw looked like a lightly ninja-flavoured Bloodborne and I really didnt like Bloodborne.

I would do anything for a modern Tenchu game :smith:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Leavemywife posted:

West of Loathing is hitting all the marks it could for me. I'm loving all the text, and I've actually laughed out loud at a few points.

Have you been to the carnival yet? It's delightful. Especially their eggs.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Leavemywife posted:

If you're interested, the original game by the devs is a browser rpg called Kingdom of Loathing with just as good writing (but definitely some old internet design). It's free so you might want to poke at it once you're done with West.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'd played KoL years ago, and this game is making me want to go back to it. I remember always being really charmed with the writing.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
What I remember of KoL most is how much I relied on the bazillion meat giveaways their IRC channel had to start up my characters and get anywhere.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Leavemywife posted:

It reminds me of Zucker brothers films in the best possible way, with the rapid fire jokes and puns the whole way through. Some of the most enjoyable writing in any game I've played.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I haven't played in years myself but I do know a few people still playing and enjoying it these days. I think there's a thread here too?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The Bureaucracy town hits very close to home if you ever had to deal with that sort of bullshit.

It's still funny as gently caress.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

KoL thread is here, but it's not very active.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So, one of the first bosses in Sekiro has a bit where he come into the arena, postures for a moment, and then starts fighting.

If you attack him enough during that bit, he basically goes "alright you little poo poo" and gets tougher, using moves that he uses only in the second phase and I think even ones I never saw otherwise during the fight. The neat thing is he doesn't get some obvious tell aside from that line, he doesn't get some magical boost or anything, and he still has the same health and posture. He just tries twice as hard to kill you because you were a dick when he was doing his bit.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Zoig posted:

So, one of the first bosses in Sekiro has a bit where he come into the arena, postures for a moment, and then starts fighting.

If you attack him enough during that bit, he basically goes "alright you little poo poo" and gets tougher, using moves that he uses only in the second phase and I think even ones I never saw otherwise during the fight. The neat thing is he doesn't get some obvious tell aside from that line, he doesn't get some magical boost or anything, and he still has the same health and posture. He just tries twice as hard to kill you because you were a dick when he was doing his bit.

:allears: the bosses so far seem loving awesome.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You don't attack the villain during a monologue, and they don't attack the hero during transformation or combination sequences.

That's just manners, you know :wotwot:.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm finally playing through Resident Evil 5 on PS4 and every player that drops into my game is using end-of-game weaponry and equipment, knows exactly what to do and where to go, and is a basically a one-woman murder machine from start to finish. It's making Chris Redfield look like a complete dope just following this African superwoman around and ineffectually assisting her by occasionally pulling a lever or something. I feel like Jack Burton in Big Trouble in Little China.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm finally playing through Resident Evil 5 on PS4 and every player that drops into my game is using end-of-game weaponry and equipment, knows exactly what to do and where to go, and is a basically a one-woman murder machine from start to finish. It's making Chris Redfield look like a complete dope just following this African superwoman around and ineffectually assisting her by occasionally pulling a lever or something. I feel like Jack Burton in Big Trouble in Little China.

I guess not much has changed in the last 9 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlo3PmRIrnQ

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I've been playing Red Dead II and ran into the Klan. I'm not sure if I gave up a quest or anything, but I just tossed a stick of dynamite into the middle of the group and killed the survivors and didn't take a negative hit at all.

Then I went to St. Denis and shot the guy spouting on about eugenics and racial mixing in the face, and no one cared about that guy either.

This is a game that charged me with assault when I accidentally collided into someone with a horse, so it amuses me to no end that I can kill racists without consequence.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

I've been playing Red Dead II and ran into the Klan. I'm not sure if I gave up a quest or anything, but I just tossed a stick of dynamite into the middle of the group and killed the survivors and didn't take a negative hit at all.

Then I went to St. Denis and shot the guy spouting on about eugenics and racial mixing in the face, and no one cared about that guy either.

This is a game that charged me with assault when I accidentally collided into someone with a horse, so it amuses me to no end that I can kill racists without consequence.

I made this a little while ago. Bless the cop standing one door down who doesn't give a poo poo.

I think the game has a really good balance of "this game takes place in a racist and sexist period" and "we don't condone what we're depicting."

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
There's a spot where the KKK is setting up a real heavy cross to burn. If you fire a gun it will startle them and the cross will come down and crush a couple of them.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Push El Burrito posted:

There's a spot where the KKK is setting up a real heavy cross to burn. If you fire a gun it will startle them and the cross will come down and crush a couple of them.

Sometimes, one'll accidentally torch himself and a couple others.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
After enough gently caress ups happen (My brother said the cross crushing has happened with no input from him), the grand poobah or whatever the head of the klan cult is called sobs and wonders why things like that keep happening.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Sekiro being single player means it has a pause screen, and in a souls structured game its really nice to have when a family member has to reach over to grab something while you are mid bossfight.

Also I love that the stat boosting items are Buddhist candies and I have no idea why.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
"No multiplayer" was my #1 most-wanted Souls feature, so I'm going to have to play Sekiro. I've always been completely terrible at parrying in any game where parrying is even a thing, though, so it sounds like I'm in for a really rough time.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

RoboRodent posted:

I made this a little while ago. Bless the cop standing one door down who doesn't give a poo poo.
You monster.

That alligator is going to have an upset tummy later.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

"No multiplayer" was my #1 most-wanted Souls feature, so I'm going to have to play Sekiro. I've always been completely terrible at parrying in any game where parrying is even a thing, though, so it sounds like I'm in for a really rough time.

It's not as bad as it sounds because "parrying" in sekiro just amounts to pressing the block button right before you get hit, so pressing it early just means you're doing a normal block instead (on some attacks at least, there are many things you can't block but there seems to always be a way to avoid them without deflecting, such as jumping). It's not like the souls games where pressing the parry button at the wrong time means you're eating hits guaranteed.

you're in for a really rough time regardless though. I'm not getting along with it too well right now.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

Now someone has gifted me a magic gold egg that can be used indefinitely, fully refills my health and vomits ammo boxes all around me.

This game is weird.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

The parry window is about a second long, and the delay between parrying is probably less time than the actual parry itself. You can mash generally in time with attacks and it will usually work, but don't.

Its very generous with its timing and your ability to block stuff is way better than any other souls structured game. That's the biggest thing really, its a similarly structured game on the same engine (don't know if this is correct but it looks, feels and acts like it) but there's different feel to a lot of it and you do need to adapt.

That being said, at least half the minibosses have been complete washes so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Now someone has gifted me a magic gold egg that can be used indefinitely, fully refills my health and vomits ammo boxes all around me.

This game is weird.

That is not a normal part of the game. I suspect someone gifted you a cheated item.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Necrothatcher posted:

This game is weird.

I've played a ton of RE 5 and the only thing even close to that I've ever found was diamond covered eggs I used a dupe glitch to make tons of and sold because I was tired of grinding for stuff. Pretty sure thats a hacked item.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
The parry in Sekiro is a lot easier to pull off but it is not as rewarding as in Dark Souls, where a parry will allow you to do huge damage. In Sekiro a successful Deflect (parry) will damage their Posture Bar while doing minimal damage to your own. If you fill an opponents Posture bar they will get staggered and you can do a Deathblow, which kills the crab.

It really works, in my opinion. Fights go from fishing for a parry to stuff like slice, slice, deflect, slice, dodge, shuriken to the face, slice, deflect SHINOBI DEATHBLOW and it looks loving radical.

My favourite little thing about Sekiro is the grappling icon. It’s a circle that appears on grapplable things that fills up from the centre the closer you get to being in range. It really works and is a smooth way to let you know that if you jump off this cliff, you’ll probably be able to make this grapple. Probably.

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's just manners, you know :wotwot:.

I have noticed that you also never get interrupted or harmed during deathblows, either. I thought about this a lot as I cleared out Juzou the Drunkard's cronies, repeatedly leaving my back wide open...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Digirat posted:

It's not as bad as it sounds because "parrying" in sekiro just amounts to pressing the block button right before you get hit, so pressing it early just means you're doing a normal block instead (on some attacks at least, there are many things you can't block but there seems to always be a way to avoid them without deflecting, such as jumping). It's not like the souls games where pressing the parry button at the wrong time means you're eating hits guaranteed.

you're in for a really rough time regardless though. I'm not getting along with it too well right now.

Are you playing on PS4 or PC? I think this is definitely one game I’d want to get for Steam since having a 60fps option is so important for reducing input lag. Bloodborne’s inconsistent framerate drove me up a wall on PS4 and from what I hear it’s much the same for the console versions of Sekiro.

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

Are you playing on PS4 or PC? I think this is definitely one game I’d want to get for Steam since having a 60fps option is so important for reducing input lag. Bloodborne’s inconsistent framerate drove me up a wall on PS4 and from what I hear it’s much the same for the console versions of Sekiro.
I'm playing on PS4 pro with 1080P tv, and I get framerate hiccups. I've never had any bad enough to cost me an advantage in battle, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Schneider Inside Her posted:

The parry in Sekiro is a lot easier to pull off but it is not as rewarding as in Dark Souls, where a parry will allow you to do huge damage. In Sekiro a successful Deflect (parry) will damage their Posture Bar while doing minimal damage to your own. If you fill an opponents Posture bar they will get staggered and you can do a Deathblow, which kills the crab.

It really works, in my opinion. Fights go from fishing for a parry to stuff like slice, slice, deflect, slice, dodge, shuriken to the face, slice, deflect SHINOBI DEATHBLOW and it looks loving radical.

My favourite little thing about Sekiro is the grappling icon. It’s a circle that appears on grapplable things that fills up from the centre the closer you get to being in range. It really works and is a smooth way to let you know that if you jump off this cliff, you’ll probably be able to make this grapple. Probably.

Yeah, the Parry/Posture system in Sekiro works really well, and is probably the main reason why I'm actually really enjoying the game while I've always been lukewarm at best on Dark Souls. It rewards aggression and encourages you to really get stuck in and dismantle enemies quickly. It also makes for some seriously cinematic fights where you and a miniboss just go wailing at each other, deflecting and counterattacking back and forth until one slips up and eats poo poo.