Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I mean I sort of understood what Daley was trying to say, he just said it in the laziest way possible.

Also the video looked like it was taken at some young Labor politics in the pub event so you just know the video was taken by some smug gently caress Young Lib thinking he was deep in enemy territory.

If he just said high housing and cost of living expenses are forcing young people to move out of Sydney this election may have been slightly different. I mean of course that means only rich people can afford to live there but adding more to it is just slightly out of touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
So with the video it was filmed like 6 months ago but basically shelved until right before the election so the ALP was pretty much unable to change leaders in time? He shouldn't have said that poo poo, but it's one of the dirtiest political moves if indeed was kept on ice until right before the election itself. Which you know could be construed as actual news but seems to have just faded away without a second look from the press.

E: Also a new take that seems to be doing the rounds in the guardian comments I haven't noticed before. Are the posts claiming because Gladys is female and came from a migrant family meaning you cannot question any policies because if they(right wing trolls) did the same they would be called out for being sexist or rascist.

Dimebag fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 24, 2019

AgentF
May 11, 2009
The fact that nobody is reporting on the video anymore shows that it isn't actually news, but that rather the effect that broadcasting the video would have on the election is news. This seems kinda hosed to me.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
"When you think about it, the problem isn't that the Labor leader did A Racism, it's that people dared to mention it."

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Of course it's a problem that the Labor leader did a racism, but if that was the angle they cared about they would have reported it at the time. The fact that they held onto it this long shows that they don't actually give a gently caress about racism, but just about scoring points.

If the Libs weren't getting big Chinese money I 100% guarantee they would be spouting the same racist poo poo. They're just good at virtue signalling to people who don't pay that much attention.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Also Liberal candidates getting spots on Chinese state television is very odd and suspect. That poo poo has never happened before.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Since when does Beijing report on Australian state politics?

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

Cheap Trick posted:

More like Daley losing it for Labor because he opened his stupid gob about "Asians taking our jobs."

:sigh:

labor rights small target strategy really doesnt work in opposition and the largely sydney centric campaign basically sunk em in the regions where they needed seats the most. daley needs to go at the very least before things’ll get better

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Turks posted:

Of course it's a problem that the Labor leader did a racism, but if that was the angle they cared about they would have reported it at the time. The fact that they held onto it this long shows that they don't actually give a gently caress about racism, but just about scoring points.

You can bet if Labor had something as damaging on Gladys, they would have dropped it at a point designed to do as much damage as possible as well.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

are you saying that a political party engaged in politics to win a political election :monocle:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Feels like some folks really wanted Scott Yung to win.

State TV plus anti Asian leak fits together super well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

im alan jones posted:

labor rights small target strategy really doesnt work in opposition and the largely sydney centric campaign basically sunk em in the regions where they needed seats the most. daley needs to go at the very least before things’ll get better

They also didn't swing much in Sydney either.

There were a bunch of National seats on a margin of around 2-4% (Lismore, Monaro, Upper Hunter, Tweed), plus the Lib-held Coogee and East Hills (which was 0.4%), and a collection of other seats around 6-10% (mostly outer Sydney and the South Coast).

Labor got Coogee, will probably get Lismore. They couldn't even swing East Hills. Of the seats that saw a sizeable swing but didn't change hands Penrith was the only one in the 6-10% band, and Monaro became much safer for the Nats.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 25, 2019

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They also didn't swing much in Sydney either.

There were a bunch of National seats on a margin of around 2-4% (Lismore, Monaro, Upper Hunter, Tweed), plus the Lib-held Coogee and East Hills (which was 0.4%), and a collection of other seats around 6-10% (mostly outer Sydney and the South Coast).

Labor got Coogee, will probably get Lismore. They couldn't even swing East Hills. Of the seats that saw a sizeable swing but didn't change hands Penrith was the only one in the 6-10% band, and Monaro became much safer for the Nats.

i know they were hopeful on winning back balmain but the fact that swung further to the greens must’ve stung esp after all the infighting. i guess they were banking on sff preferences to get over in the nats seats but that clearly wasnt enough for most of em

im alan jones fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 25, 2019

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Coalition warns meat prices will soar under Labor’s plan to cut carbon pollution

FAMILIES are being warned to prepare for a meat tax that will make “spaghetti bolognese as expensive as a steak” and turn the “Aussie meat pie into an endangered species” under Labor’s ambitious plan to cut carbon pollution.

The cost of thin barbecue sausages are projected to increase by 90 per cent alone, and a beef family roast by almost 40 per cent, costing almost $20 a kilogram if agriculture is captured under Bill Shorten’s policy.

Managing director of Super Butcher and the LNP’s Senate candidate at the next election, Susan McDonald, has demanded Bill Shorten tell voters how much his plan will cost businesses and family budgets.

Many butchers have very high electricity bills because of their cold rooms.

It comes as Energy Minister Angus Taylor tells The Courier-Mail that Labor’s plan to cut carbon emissions by 45 per cent in 10 years cannot be done by just reducing pollution from the electricity sector.

Almost every day Mr Shorten has been asked but refused to answer how he will meet his three-year-old plan to cut carbon emissions by 45 per cent on 2005 levels by 2030. It is separate to Labor’s 50 per cent renewable energy target.

Labor’s agricultural spokesman Joel Fitzgibbon said agriculture would be exempt from any carbon pollution mechanism, but Mr Shorten and his climate change spokesman Mark Butler have repeatedly refused to reveal their plans. Mr Shorten said he would reveal details soon.

Mr Butler last week directly refused to answer if farmers would be forced to reduce the methane production of their livestock or forced to reduce livestock numbers.

Mr Taylor said that the electricity sector only made up about 30 per cent of Australia’s emissions so it would be “impossible” for Labor to meet its 45 per cent target by just targeting the electricity sector.

“Independent modelling shows Labor’s 45 per cent emissions reduction target will drive up wholesale electricity prices by 58 per cent,” Mr Taylor said.

“This will have flow on effects to high-energy use industries and businesses, like butchers who rely on refrigeration to keep meat cool.’’

“As a butcher tackles high energy costs thanks to Labor’s reckless targets, those costs will be passed on to the price of meat to keep the business viable.”

Northern Australia Minister Matt Canavan, whose local office is in Rockhampton, said that Labor’s plan to tax red meat would be “bad news for Rocky’’, well known as the beef capital.

“Beef from Central Queensland will be taxed while beef from overseas will be tax free.

“Labor can’t meet its emissions reductions targets without including agriculture and that’s why Bill Shorten refused to rule it out this week.”

Independent economist Brian Fisher, who has worked for Labor and the Coalition, released six scenarios on how Mr Shorten could reach his targets. Each had a significant cost to the economy.

Using a scenario where Kyoto credits would be carried over, meaning the cost wouldn’t be as high, there would be a high cost to meat prices if agriculture is included in any reduction plan.

Senator Canavan said Labor had not released modelling to show what its policy would mean for the economy and jobs.

Ms McDonald said Mr Shorten needed to be honest with Queenslanders about the cost of living implications under his plan.

“If the price of the family meal is going to go up, then it’s only fair that mums and dads are told,” she said.

“That’s important to know at the ballot box when people make a choice about what price they will pay for Labor’s agenda.

“A methane tax makes the family spag bol on Tuesday night as much as steak night now.

Mr Fitzgibbon accused the LNP of a scare campaign.

“The Labor Party policy for some time has been to exempt agriculture in Australia from any carbon pollution reduction mechanism,” Mr Fitzgibbon said.

“Labor is not considering changing this approach and we will continue to ignore the shrill scare campaign from the LNP.

“Labor has already announced a detailed energy plan that explains how we will achieve emission reductions in the crucial electricity sector.

“The balance of our policies will be announced before the election.”

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Under Labor a Chicken Parmy will cost the same amount as a wedding.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Oh poo poo, Tony's $100 Lamb Roast is back!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Meat should be expensive in the same way disposable plastic bullshit should be expensive.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

bill shorten is going to make

*checks list of things australians love*

doing racism three times as expensive as is currently is!

JBP posted:

Meat should be expensive in the same way disposable plastic bullshit should be expensive.

agreed

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Anidav posted:

“Independent modelling shows....

:itwaspoo:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Meanwhile in the Courier Heil:

quote:

Sausage sizzle in danger
Charities are being warned they will raise less money under labor's unexplained climate change plan.
Northern Australia Minister Matt Canavan seized on silence from Opposition Leader Bill Shorten to warn even the Bunnings sausage sizzle, favoured by charities across the country, was at risk because of the cost of electricity and meat.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Love to crank up the old electric BBQ.
Also we're all doomed because trying to tell the average Australian male that maybe eating a vegetarian meal once in a while won't cause their testicles to fall off is basically an exercise in despair.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I think the coalition underestimate how much people's view of climate change has shifted in the last 6 years.

They think a rehash of the carbon tax scare is going to help them....

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

cohsae posted:

Love to crank up the old electric BBQ.
Also we're all doomed because trying to tell the average Australian male that maybe eating a vegetarian meal once in a while won't cause their testicles to fall off is basically an exercise in despair.

People are too lazy or not given the exposure required to learn anything other than to steam or roast vegetables with a piece of meat.

My cousin who is from Geelong recently tried Indian food for the first time (he loved it). He is a 45 year old man. He is now no a mission to eat all the food.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Can’t wait for another term of Liberal government because Australians will absolutely lose their poo poo over any increase to an unsustainable standard of living, ironically electing a government that makes living more expensive and keeps wages flat.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

Ask your wife :v:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

You Am I posted:

Ask your wife :v:

Chinese intelligence really lowered the bar for potential targets after Wendy Deng

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

JBP posted:

People are too lazy or not given the exposure required to learn anything other than to steam or roast vegetables with a piece of meat.

My cousin who is from Geelong recently tried Indian food for the first time (he loved it). He is a 45 year old man. He is now no a mission to eat all the food.

Yeah this is very true. My suspicion is that most white boomers having so little exposure to scarcity of food meant they never had to be creative and learn how to make cheap or unusual ingredients tasty. Why learn how to make vegetables taste good when you've got all of the steak. You can go to just about any non white country and the poo poo they do with vegetables and fruits is crazy good.
I used to loathe cauliflower because I grew up thinking the only way to eat it was boiled. Then my gf cooked like a Mediterranean roast spicy cauliflower thing and it blew my mind.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Anidav posted:

Maybe since Dandrews signed up to the Belt and Road Initiative unilaterally, bypassing federal?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JBP posted:

I experienced an interesting inverse of this recently. A work friend of mine has an Indian/European background and can make up a rocking curry. Just a couple of weeks ago she was excitedly telling us about how she had learned how to make boiled and scrambled eggs for the first time that weekend.

edit: I'll join in the CAULIFLOWER GOOD chat as well, so many years thinking it wasn't due to my English family just boiling it into mush.

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/denhamsadler/status/1109644722975330304

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

cohsae posted:

Yeah this is very true. My suspicion is that most white boomers having so little exposure to scarcity of food meant they never had to be creative and learn how to make cheap or unusual ingredients tasty. Why learn how to make vegetables taste good when you've got all of the steak. You can go to just about any non white country and the poo poo they do with vegetables and fruits is crazy good.
I used to loathe cauliflower because I grew up thinking the only way to eat it was boiled. Then my gf cooked like a Mediterranean roast spicy cauliflower thing and it blew my mind.

I used to hate vegetables until I realised it tasted every bit as good as meat when smothered in garlic butter and BBQed over charcoal and hickory.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The best way to eat cauliflower is raw with ranch dip which for some reason doesn't exist in Australia.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Push the cauliflower boat all the way out and crumb it with a little parmesan.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/bradesposito/status/1109981006059061248
I'm sorry?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Meanwhile in the Courier Heil:

Geez, the level of political discourse in this country. Watch out, the bad man wants to take away the sausage sizzle.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Maybe since Dandrews signed up to the Belt and Road Initiative unilaterally, bypassing federal?

I thought he didn't sign it and actually signed a statement of understanding.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Bill Shorten wants to replace our sausage sizzles with vegan mystery meat.

Which is actually made of :frogsiren:soy:frogsiren:

A dark day for all of us.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
"they're coming for your beef sausages!!!"

*concentration camps*

/auspol

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

I feel like I should probably be glad this is paywalled but I still kinda want to inflict the full text on myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

GotLag posted:

I feel like I should probably be glad this is paywalled but I still kinda want to inflict the full text on myself

Andrew Bolt posted:

What did Di Natale think would happen when his Greens promoted their toxic identity politics?

Didn’t he see that encouraging migrants, Aborigines, Muslims and others to identify by their “race” or ethnicity would force some threatened whites to identify by their own?

Didn’t he realise he’d add to these tensions by seeming to pick a side — by trashing Australia Day as a symbol of “ongoing genocide”, calling for an advisory parliament elected only by Aborigines, and having his party smear one of our finest soldiers, Jim Molan, as a “war criminal” when fighting Islamists?
He goes on for quite a lot more but you get the gist.