Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm sure this is a repost

https://i.imgur.com/0W9unna.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I like how nobody died because when the pilot called his friend to figure out where his wife was, he immediately realized what was going on and evacuated the building.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

darthbob88 posted:

They're also "Persons taking no active part in the hostilities", so they're still protected against "violence to life and person, in particular murder of all kinds, mutilation, cruel treatment and torture; [...] outrages upon dignity, in particular humiliating and degrading treatment;", like mock executions. On the other hand, those teachers probably signed a waiver when they started this training, permitting this sort of thing.

It's cool, they found a reasonable alternative: https://www.somethingawful.com/news/active-shooter-white/

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The end is the most PetCo/pet store thing ever. :3:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

azurite posted:

Grab the waste basket and sit your rear end on the toilet

I somehow managed to avoid throwing up entirely from the time I was an infant until age 20. I was staying with my parents over summer break, and I woke up at 4am feeling a little... Off. Went to the bathroom, sat down, and realized that the horrors of the deep were on their way, and I was powerless to stop them. Relying on the deepest of ancestral memories, I reflexively reached down for the trash bin moments before my stomach up-heaved everything I had eaten since 1994, timed perfectly to coincide with my rear end blowing liquified poo poo at maximum velocity out my other end. I think the equal and opposite reactions of both projectile flows is what kept me stuck to the toilet until my GI system had expelled it's entire carrying capacity.

I cleaned myself as best I could, then half crawled up the stairs to croak thru my parents bedroom door, "I think I threw up?" because it was such a shock to my system that it was all I could think to say.

The next morning, my dad took me to task for barfing in the trash bin instead of the toilet, and I burst into tears because I had a sense memory of the poo poo smell and the thought of trying to barf into a bowl of steaming diarrhea was enough to trigger a meltdown. He apologized when he realized the full enchilada was happening to me all at once, and the alternative would have been that other goon's liquid-poo poo-spray-paint situation, which is way harder to clean up than hosing out a plastic bin.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I somehow managed to avoid throwing up entirely from the time I was an infant until age 20. I was staying with my parents over summer break, and I woke up at 4am feeling a little... Off. Went to the bathroom, sat down, and realized that the horrors of the deep were on their way, and I was powerless to stop them. Relying on the deepest of ancestral memories, I reflexively reached down for the trash bin moments before my stomach up-heaved everything I had eaten since 1994, timed perfectly to coincide with my rear end blowing liquified poo poo at maximum velocity out my other end. I think the equal and opposite reactions of both projectile flows is what kept me stuck to the toilet until my GI system had expelled it's entire carrying capacity.

I cleaned myself as best I could, then half crawled up the stairs to croak thru my parents bedroom door, "I think I threw up?" because it was such a shock to my system that it was all I could think to say.

The next morning, my dad took me to task for barfing in the trash bin instead of the toilet, and I burst into tears because I had a sense memory of the poo poo smell and the thought of trying to barf into a bowl of steaming diarrhea was enough to trigger a meltdown. He apologized when he realized the full enchilada was happening to me all at once, and the alternative would have been that other goon's liquid-poo poo-spray-paint situation, which is way harder to clean up than hosing out a plastic bin.

I had a ex who had food poisoning and woke me up because she was going to throw up while on the toilet and needed something to hork in, barfed all over herself because I was too slow in my sleep-addled state to A) locate a suitable container and B) dump the contents out and C) get it to her in time. Then she screamed at me while making GBS threads torrents and covered in vomit.

There was a plastic trashcan right next to the toilet and all she had to do was pull out the plastic bag with the trash in it. But I guess I was the rear end in a top hat for not getting food poisoning or something.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

More pictures in this thread: https://www.facebook.com/Wickedautovids/photos/rpp.1422780101353768/1817673725197735/?type=3&theater

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
xpost

Feonir posted:

Nature can be so beautiful.

https://i.imgur.com/R8l5ViS.mp4

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002
From the cruise ship rescue in norway, helmet cam. They were towed into port earlier today, 13 people hospitalized (afaik).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emXMftApdEY

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Saukkis posted:

A bathroom where you can't sit on the toilet while vomiting in the tub is just faulty design.

ftfy

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

BernieLomax posted:

From the cruise ship rescue in norway, helmet cam. They were towed into port earlier today, 13 people hospitalized (afaik).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emXMftApdEY

So rad. I’d love to get yoinked up to a heli like that under non-emergency circumstances

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I wonder if they give the passengers anything to make them feel "comfortable" before the ride. I know I would need it.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Nenonen posted:

I wonder if they give the passengers anything to make them feel "comfortable" before the ride. I know I would need it.

Planes scare the gently caress outta me but helicopters are surprisingly chill. Like they're loud as gently caress but the ride is really gentle and nice. Getting winched up into one would probably suck though.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Necros posted:

Planes scare the gently caress outta me but helicopters are surprisingly chill. Like they're loud as gently caress but the ride is really gentle and nice. Getting winched up into one would probably suck though.

Harry Reasoner posted:

The thing is, helicopters are different from airplanes. An airplane by its nature wants to fly and, if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces and controls working in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in the delicate balance, the helicopter stops flying, immediately and disastrously. There is no such thing as a gliding helicopter.

This is why a helicopter pilot is so different a being from an airplane pilot, and why in general, airplane pilots are open, clear-eyed, buoyant extroverts, and helicopter pilots are brooders, introspective anticipators of trouble. They know if anything bad has not happened, it is about to.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Necros posted:

You have a unique perspective on rotary wing aircraft

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

a planes takeoff and landing is the part i dont like. a helicopter just kinda floats up into the air and down to the ground calmly. yeah there is probably way more poo poo to go wrong when theres a series of blades twirling around at high speeds above your head but i never said my fear of planes was rational.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Necros posted:

My experience of helicopters would suggest otherwise. It was very oh poo poo we're moving up and sideways oh daaamn now we're spinning 180 while descending at speed to land on this tiny square the size of my driveway but it's beside a river god daaamn.
But hey it was a lot of fun.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Necros posted:

a helicopter just kinda floats up into the air and down to the ground calmly
Unless vortex ring state. Or power loss in dead zone, or, or, or

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Necros posted:

a planes takeoff and landing is the part i dont like. a helicopter just kinda floats up into the air and down to the ground calmly. yeah there is probably way more poo poo to go wrong when theres a series of blades twirling around at high speeds above your head but i never said my fear of planes was rational.

Try a helicopter flight sim and your opinion will change quickly

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

The times I've flown in a helicopter they were medivac flights so they probably tried to keep things as steady as possible for the patients sake.

They fly by beating the air into submission though which is cool as hell. Buncha helicopter haters itt.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

BMan posted:

sim copter was good enough :v:

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Necros posted:

Buncha helicopter haters itt.

They hate us, it's only fair

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There is a gliding helicopter but the glide ratio still means your day is going to be very bad oh and also if there is any sort of little mechanical failure with the fail safe linkages that make it sync enough to glide then yeah you are just falling out of the sky.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Fun helicopter fact: If you fly the UH-1 wrong, the rotors will just loving come off

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

BMan posted:

Fun helicopter fact: If you fly the UH-1 wrong, the rotors will just loving come off

The training videos for mast bumping are hilarrifying:

The God Damned Army posted:

This aircraft has a MASSIVE INHERENT MECHANICAL VULNERABILITY. Fly it in EXACTLY this way or YOU WILL DIE

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

BMan posted:

Strictly speaking, any aircraft will have parts come off if you fly it wrong enough.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

BMan posted:

I've spent some time in the Army Blackhawk helicopter simulator, which is one of those 2-storey hydraulic things that is so close to reality that you earn flight hours by using it. I was there because I was good friends with one of the guys that ran it and he had some free time to let me have a go.

Anyway, I can tell you that as an untrained person handed the controls while in mid-air I managed to hit the ground in about 10 seconds. It's also very hard to fly when struck by lightning, or a porta-potty, or hitting a tank in mid-air (the sim allows for some pretty weird situations!)
Mind you, it doesn't take long to get the hang of it and fly about to a very basic degree. Different story if you wanted to land in a particular place, or had the added threat of it being in the real world. At no stage did I feel like I was ready to try the real thing.

But man that was a cool experience. This was a while ago and the graphics were pretty primitive and you first look at them and think it's rubbish. But after a minute or two of controlling this huge machine you feel like you're in the air.

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002

Nenonen posted:

In an interview one of the passangers said it was so fast and smooth she didn't have time to be scared.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Flown in helicopters plenty in the Marines. Their natural state is crashing. Do not tempt God by riding in helicopters.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BernieLomax posted:

In an interview one of the passangers said it was so fast and smooth she didn't have time to be scared.

I would imagine a few hours of open bar may have been helpful.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

BMan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUlK0xmW6VE&t=2675s

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Grem posted:

Flown in helicopters plenty in the Marines. Their natural state is crashing. Do not tempt God by riding in helicopters.

Never not fly in the death machines, they're cool because they hate us all

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Strictly speaking, any aircraft will have parts come off if you fly it wrong enough.

otoh sometimes you dazedly barrel-roll a cargo plane and live

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
I was told by a pilot that helicopters dont fly, they repel the earth with their ugliness

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

tardwrangler posted:

I was told by a pilot that helicopters dont fly, they repel the earth with their ugliness

Why aren't you up in the air then?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

jobson groeth posted:

Why aren't you up in the air then?

posting from 35,000 feet right now

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Helicopters are held aloft by hubris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I remember a nugget of humour in some airchat thread but can't recall the source:

"If the wings are moving faster than the fuselage, the vehicle is a helicopter, and therefore unsafe."

Anyone know where that was from? It had some other aircraft jokes in it too, I'm sure.