Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

My guess would be spite on the guy I worked with. His body sat in a tub for days in an Arizona summer. I'm assuming he was basically a soup. Oddly enough another guy that worked there who I actually was sort of friends with blew his brains out on a camping trip with a bunch of his friends and his wife. Just walked out into the woods on the second day and shot himself. Must be a thing out in Arizona to make your suicide as devastating as possible to loved ones.

That's actually intriguing to me. I'm not an expert in the slightest, but I always thought that most suicides involve a pervasive sense of loneliness and powerlessness. Killing yourself while you're on a trip with your wife (whom you presumably love) and people that you're good enough friends with to go camping with, that strikes me as being strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, he was best friends with one of my friends out there. He killed himself like two days after one of my best friends died of an OD, so we were talking about losing our best friends together. My buddy didn't go into much more detail than what I told you though, so I have no idea what else was going on with the dude at the time.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I can't speak for anyone else obviously, but when I had extreme suicidal idealization my goal if I had ever worked up the gumption to go through with it was to make it as painless for whoever found me as possible while also giving my loved ones closure that I was definitely dead and hadn't just vanished in the night to start somewhere else. Luckily I was pushed and got help so now I'm just regular super depressed and not suicidal depressed! :unsmith:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

That's actually intriguing to me. I'm not an expert in the slightest, but I always thought that most suicides involve a pervasive sense of loneliness and powerlessness. Killing yourself while you're on a trip with your wife (whom you presumably love) and people that you're good enough friends with to go camping with, that strikes me as being strange.

Think about it this way: have you ever been alone in a crowded room?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

I feel weird basically banning my kid from content that she likes, especially as my grounds are mostly aesthetic.

Don’t feel bad. Since YouTube isn’t going away anytime soon (unfortunately, IMO), it’s important that they recognize that you’re in charge of the content they consume.

Otherwise, you end up with a kid running around t-posing, yelling “YEET” while dabbing, and begging for “merch” from idiots like the Paul brothers.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Blue Moonlight posted:

Don’t feel bad. Since YouTube isn’t going away anytime soon (unfortunately, IMO), it’s important that they recognize that you’re in charge of the content they consume.

Otherwise, you end up with a kid running around t-posing, yelling “YEET” while dabbing, and begging for “merch” from idiots like the Paul brothers.

yes those drat kids nowadays, not like when *I* was young, no siree

kids running into adult content on youtube is bad but loving t-posing isn't the problem

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The hell is T-posting?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

The hell is T-posting?

Posing like a video game character in default pose, arms out to the side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89_EuoS_y5k

it's dumb but it's like any other fad from the entire existence of humankind

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I remember playing Power Rangers and imagining sick flips and breakdance moves while in reality hopping off stairs, chopping my arms through the air.

What I'm saying is kids are loving goobers.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Wasabi the J posted:

I remember playing Power Rangers and imagining sick flips and breakdance moves while in reality hopping off stairs, chopping my arms through the air.

What I'm saying is kids are loving goobers.
Today's goobers will become tomorrow's goober-shamers and the cycle will begin anew.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Remember the Super Naturals, those scary ghost and monster toys with the holograms inside? Loved that poo poo. They never told me to kill for the glory of the white race and Donald Trump like modern youth culture does, fortunately.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Remember the Super Naturals, those scary ghost and monster toys with the holograms inside? Loved that poo poo. They never told me to kill for the glory of the white race and Donald Trump like modern youth culture does, fortunately.
I think that’s more modern old people culture than youth culture tbh.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Solice Kirsk posted:

The hell is T-posting?

The “what the heck is a pokey-man?” bit doesn’t really work in a text-based converaation.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Super Naturals did rule. So did Visionaries. There should have been more hologram themed toys when I was a kid.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...9662_story.html

If you drive through Alexandria VA with any frequency, you probably know about this local lore. I grew up here and remember hearing the story.

Mercury Ballistic has a new favorite as of 02:30 on Mar 25, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I love that poo poo. Good catch.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Whats that link that removes paywalls

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Milo and POTUS posted:

outline.com

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Milo and POTUS posted:

right click -> open in incognito window

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

quite stretched out posted:

right click -> open in incognito window

Some places are actually catching wise to this. :(

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Open in super incognito mode

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Open in super incognito mode

Is this when you wear a mask and gloves while using your computer?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
put a balaclava mask on your monitor

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Murder the internet.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Here you go

quote:

What is the story behind the mannequin in the window at 515 N. Washington St. in Alexandria? It has been there for as long as I can remember. The mannequin has remained throughout the years despite changes in the building’s usage and ownership. My father told me it was put there after a night watchman was killed when the building was a warehouse. It’s currently an apartment or condo called the Mill. Was my dad right?

— Sarah Capponi, Fairfax, Va.

A file folder in the local history room of the Kate Waller Barrett Branch Library, just a few blocks away, contains much speculation about the figure gazing down from inside the handsome cupola atop the building at North Washington and Pendleton streets.

Apparently, he is called “Oscar.”

Before we get to him, let’s tour the building. It was built in 1847 as the home of the Mount Vernon Cotton Factory. During the Civil War, the building was appropriated by Union forces and used as a temporary holding facility for Confederate prisoners. After the war, it was again briefly a cotton mill and then the bottling plant of Robert Portner Brewing.

When the brewery closed, the building became the home of the Express Spark Plug factory. Photos from the 1920s show the exterior painted with such slogans as “The plug of continuous reliability” and “Be good to your motor.”

It seems to have been an office building briefly before being turned into the Belle Haven apartments in 1935. It’s back to being apartments after a stint as the headquarters of the International Association of Chiefs of Police.

In June 1933, a writer at the American Motorist magazine recounted the tales associated with the mannequin, which back then was not inside the cupola but in a window on the second floor. The most lurid story was that the dummy was connected to a slaying in the building.

In fact, there was a slaying. In 1854, a 24-year-old cotton factory night watchman named Michael Kiggin had his head bashed in.

The rumor was that the police dressed a mannequin in Kiggin’s clothes and put it in the window in an attempt to trick the killer into returning. There was an arrest in the killing, but the person accused was acquitted. Answer Man found no mention of the mannequin in 19th-century sources.

To check that story, the unnamed American Motorist writer visited 515 N. Washington. Spark plug factory workers told him the mannequin had been made by the Bureau of Fisheries and displayed around the country to promote angling. The oilskin garments on the dummy seemed to confirm the fishy provenance.

The building at 515 N. Washington St. in Alexandria has been many things since it went up in 1847, from a cotton factory to an office building. It's now the Mill apartments. “Oscar” the mannequin is visible in the cupola. (John Kelly/The Washington Post)

“Just when the figure was brought to the old Alexandria building, and why, was not known,” wrote the author. “But it was at least ten or twelve years ago.” That would date it to the early 1920s. (It’s possible the Fisheries Bureau had been a tenant and the dummy had been left behind.)

A factory worker said, “We used to keep it back here at the end of this room. It looked so natural and lifelike we would play practical jokes with it.”

In 1934, the mannequin was stolen by pranksters and found in the District, hanging from the Taft Bridge.

The author concluded: “Let it not be suspected that this article is an attempt to expose, debunk or destroy our neighborhood legend. Far from it. Good stories and mysteries are all too few in a world keen for detective problems and jigsaw puzzles.”

At some point, Oscar seems to have been removed from public view. A 2011 story in the Alexandria Times said he was reinstalled in the late 1970s after Bud Jordan, a real estate agent who had his office in the building, found it in storage and dressed it in an old suit.

The police chiefs association occupied the building from 1992 to 2014. For a few weeks in the late 1990s, Oscar was taken down so the cupola glass could be repaired, said Gene Voegtlin of the IACP.

“There was a nice little old lady who had lived her whole life in Alexandria,” Gene said. “She came to us and wanted to know why we had taken it out of the cupola. She said that when she had walked past it on her way to school, it scared her, but now that it was gone she missed it.”

The natural order was restored when Oscar went back.

In 2015, developer CAS Riegler started turning the building into the Mill. Brandon Lenk, of architectural firm Cooper Carry, was the project architect. Everyone involved was very aware of the mannequin, he said.

“The best way to put it is it was treated as though it was a historical aspect of the building,” he said. Contractors had to be careful not to damage it.

“It’s seen better days,” Brandon said of the mannequin. It’s missing a leg and is dressed in faded polyester. But how would you look if you were nearly 100 years old?

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Phlegmish posted:

My brother's wife's father killed himself super suddenly. He'd just bought a ton of snacks for a weekend party with his friends that he was excited about and right before he was cooking something on the stove. Then he just up and went outside and blew his head off with a shotgun at like 9pm. His wife was downstairs, had no idea until she heard the shot. Pasta boiling over and everything.

It still baffles me. Why then? Why in the middle of things?

I think about it a lot. How he just...walked away from everything and ended it. Without a word, without even flipping the stove off. It's creepy how he just decided it was over.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

empty sea posted:

My brother's wife's father killed himself super suddenly. He'd just bought a ton of snacks for a weekend party with his friends that he was excited about and right before he was cooking something on the stove. Then he just up and went outside and blew his head off with a shotgun at like 9pm. His wife was downstairs, had no idea until she heard the shot. Pasta boiling over and everything.

I think about it a lot. How he just...walked away from everything and ended it. Without a word, without even flipping the stove off. It's creepy how he just decided it was over.

Not to be morbid, but I kinda get that. I have my worst bouts of depression when life seems like nothing more than endless tasks until death, and then something in there says "do we have to do the exhausting bit first?"

I go there all the time when cooking, cutting my nails, cleaning the floor, doing laundry, things like that. Never enough to do anything, but during the worst parts of my struggles it gets pretty loud. And the only indication my wife would ever have that I was in a bad place was whether I whistled a jaunty tune while making dinner or not.

Obviously an individual perspective and the reasonings may be completely different but, while creepy and terrifying as an act, it makes far too much sense to me.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

empty sea posted:

Yeah, I kinda get that. The impulsive thoughts tend to strike when I'm in the middle of something and feeling a bit overwhelmed for whatever reason; just this all consuming sense of "I can't carry on, I can't deal with looking down the barrel of forever". This is one reason why suicidal people absolutely should not keep guns in the house, honestly. For every person who carefully plans there's someone else who, in the wrong moment, with the wrong tools to hand, just slides over the edge.

I think the thing is about suicidality is that there are a number of different types, and different levels of impulsiveness. You can be suicidal because of straight depression, you can have an anxiety component, it can be very self-contained, it can be completely attached to an external pressure. People can go through a long process of planning, putting their affairs in order etc. or they can just say "gently caress it" and jump off a bridge on impulse. What often gets left out of people's understanding of suicidality is the influence of intrusive thoughts or imagery that can literally flip the switch from one minute to the next.

Brains are very strange and complicated things.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That's how it was with Hunter S. Thompson.

quote:

No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun — for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your age. Relax — This won't hurt.

His son, daughter-in-law, and grandson were all visiting for the weekend. He was on the phone with his wife, asked her to come home to help him write a column for ESPN, then put the receiver down and simply shot himself right there.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I believe the acute existence of suicidal thoughts are also on display with the rate of gun suicides. Getting an isolated thought like ‘do I want to keep doing this’ doesn’t seem to be super rare. If these feelings are strong enough, a gun around makes a 10 second decision into a permanent one, unlike other methods that take more effort and give you time to think about what you’re doing.

It comes up occasionally here, but it’s like the guy who survived a suicide attempt as described in the documentary, The Bridge. The minute he went ‘over the wire’ he immediately regretted his decision and realized there was no problem he had that he couldn’t fix, except for the one he just made.

Grim stuff, but I think it needs to be talked about more. People need to realize kind of temptation they may be inadvertently inviting into their home when they decide to own a gun

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Due to my family's history with poor mental health my parents suicide-proofed our home long before I was born. If I wanted to off myself I'd have to work at it - use the kitchen knives (ow), figure out how to overdose on pills (which ones?) and so on. I could commit suicide but not on impulse, which has been a literal life saver.

If you have guns, keep them unloaded and the ammo locked up. Make a suicidal person have to work for it, which will buy time for them to reconsider or be found before it's too late.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Dr.Caligari posted:

I believe the acute existence of suicidal thoughts are also on display with the rate of gun suicides. Getting an isolated thought like ‘do I want to keep doing this’ doesn’t seem to be super rare. If these feelings are strong enough, a gun around makes a 10 second decision into a permanent one, unlike other methods that take more effort and give you time to think about what you’re doing.

It comes up occasionally here, but it’s like the guy who survived a suicide attempt as described in the documentary, The Bridge. The minute he went ‘over the wire’ he immediately regretted his decision and realized there was no problem he had that he couldn’t fix, except for the one he just made.

Grim stuff, but I think it needs to be talked about more. People need to realize kind of temptation they may be inadvertently inviting into their home when they decide to own a gun

I'm glad to live somewhere where handguns are absolutely verboten and the time it takes to a) unlock the gun cabinet, b) load a rifle or shotgun and c) work out how the gently caress to shoot yourself in the head with it adds a certain in built thinking gap into the process (plus I don't personally have a gun license to keep them on the property anyway; when I lived with someone who did I ended up asking them to keep their firearms at the range for precisely this reason.)

I would never, ever, ever have a handgun in the house even if I could for the simple reason that it makes it too easy. I can think of at least two people I know who would definitely be dead if that had been an available option, instead of being found and saved. I think that if you or someone in your household is dealing with ideations, it's an extremely good idea to ask yourself a) should I have this weapon at all, and b) is it effectively secured enough to slow down impulsive actions.

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge

Dr.Caligari posted:

I have several handguns. It would take me minutes to get them ready to shoot. Unlock the cabinet after fiding the hidden key, unpack the gun, unpack the ammo/find the ammo, load, get over the training shooters here have that makes it pretty hard to aim at your own head, wonder if I really want to kill myself in my own house...

A knife in the kitchen would be much quicker.

Strangely, I have not been tempted by my kitchenware either.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
You're more likely to feel the pain of a kitchen knife, or be recoverable than if you shoot yourself in the head. You can get help after the attempt, but before you die.

Also, should you or someone you know (especially a child) want to off themselves with your guns, they only need knowledge of the key's location. And suicidal people feel that way several times, frequently. Time 1- unlock the cabinet, lose the will and put the gun on the table for Time 2- load the gun, decide not to kill yourself in your living room until Time 3- realize you could do it somewhere easier to clean and then it's done.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

lizard_phunk posted:

I have several handguns. It would take me minutes to get them ready to shoot. Unlock the cabinet after fiding the hidden key, unpack the gun, unpack the ammo/find the ammo, load, get over the training shooters here have that makes it pretty hard to aim at your own head, wonder if I really want to kill myself in my own house...

To take this already grim conversation to an even grimmer place, if you've not been tempted by your kitchenware you've probably not (yet) experienced the kind of impulsiveness under discussion. The main difference is, knives are a lot more survivable using culturally common suicide methods in the West. Overcoming the urge not to shoot yourself in the head is really no different to overcoming the natural impulse not to throw yourself off a building, except you usually have to walk a bit to find a suitable building or bridge.

Edit: also, yeah, there's a kind of brinkmanship people go through with themselves. There's a good reason that you are advised to remove temptations from the house when you or someone you live with is experiencing suicidal ideation. After someone's made an attempt, one of the first things you do is go round their house and remove alcohol, pills etc. before they come home, because they remain intensely vulnerable. And there's a reason that razor blades, knives etc are tightly controlled in secure units. Like, it might seem maybe TOO obvious that a big part of suicide prevention is making suicide take longer and be more difficult, but it genuinely works. Just like suicide nets on bridges genuinely work too.

small ghost has a new favorite as of 16:47 on Mar 25, 2019

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

lizard_phunk posted:

This is really true. I've heard (maybe apocryphal) that Caesar wouldn't be around knives because he was afraid he'd impulsively kill himself with one.

(spoiler alert: he was bad at avoiding knives)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Werong Bustope posted:

To take this already grim conversation to an even grimmer place, if you've not been tempted by your kitchenware you've probably not (yet) experienced the kind of impulsiveness under discussion.

Edit: also, yeah, there's a kind of brinkmanship people go through with themselves. There's a good reason that you are advised to remove temptations from the house when you or someone you live with is experiencing suicidal ideation. After someone's made an attempt, one of the first things you do is go round their house and remove alcohol, pills etc. before they come home, because they remain intensely vulnerable. And there's a reason that razor blades, knives etc are tightly controlled in secure units. Like, it might seem maybe TOO obvious that a big part of suicide prevention is making suicide take longer and be more difficult, but it genuinely works.

When it comes to self-harm, it's effectively impossible to get rid of everything that you can use. I don't, but my ex did. She would stick corkboard pins in her arms if the urge hit when she was at work.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

When it comes to self-harm, it's effectively impossible to get rid of everything that you can use. I don't, but my ex did. She would stick corkboard pins in her arms if the urge hit when she was at work.

Oh yeah, for sure. It's loving difficult to off yourself with a pin though. People still self harm in secure units, but if they manage to get hold of razors they die.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
An actual decision from the 9th Circuit.

Context: Cops execute a search warrant and seize $275,000 in cash and rare coins from the subject. Cops then declare only $50,000 cash on the inventory list, the remainder mysteriously disappears.

quote:

"We need not—and do not—decide whether the City Officers violated the Constitution. At the time of the incident, there was no clearly established law holding that officers violate the Fourth or Fourteenth Amendment when they steal property that is seized pursuant to a warrant. For that reason, the City Officers are entitled to qualified immunity. "

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2019/03/20/17-16756.pdf

The Supreme Court needs to drag the entire doctrine of qualified immunity out behind the shed and bash its head in with a brick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I read a case report in a medical journal of an "unusually determined" suicide by a surgeon who exposed both his femoral arteries and then opened them.