Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Isn't he basically Sanderson-lite? Pages and pages on the mechanics of magic?
Not sure if transitioning to UF is going to help.

For some people, it's a feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

anilEhilated posted:

Isn't he basically Sanderson-lite? Pages and pages on the mechanics of magic?
Yeah, he's basically a protege of Sanderson. I dunno if he goes into as much detail on how the magic works as Sanderson, but it's definitely not "soft magic" either.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1109882891897589760

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Isn't optioned for TV a really long way away from being on TV? Still kind of cool news, I quite like the laundry files aside from the nerd jokes.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

pseudanonymous posted:

Isn't optioned for TV a really long way away from being on TV? Still kind of cool news, I quite like the laundry files aside from the nerd jokes.

Yeah, the surprising thing is that a series that long running and successful hadn’t been optioned a long time ago. Everyone sells an option, few ever get produced.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Drone Jett posted:

Yeah, the surprising thing is that a series that long running and successful hadn’t been optioned a long time ago. Everyone sells an option, few ever get produced.

Well cool, he's getting a check I guess.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Drone Jett posted:

It may have been optioned previously and Stross just couldn't say anything.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

I recently read Kings of the Wyld, which I thought was a fun read but nothing amazing. The sequel, Bloody Rose, was just kind of terrible. The pacing felt ridiculous, including the hinting at, introduction of, and resolution of an antagonist in what felt like less than a third of the page count.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Are the new Revelation Space books good? I just polished off Absolution Gap and was kind of let down by it:

The series has a great feeling of spinning up to be a long, drawn out story of survival against the Inhibitors, and then he resolves the plot entirely in the epilogue. I mean, it's not implausible in the universe - Travelling Fearlessly the grub talks about how there are a lot of surviving super-advanced species out there - but it's a pretty abrupt end.

He also leaves such interesting threads dangling: why is FTL travel so taboo, and what's on the other side? Who was the Maidemoiselle and was she actually acting through Skade? He hints pretty heavily that Sky Haussman survives, so where does he end up?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Red Crown posted:

Are the new Revelation Space books good? I just polished off Absolution Gap and was kind of let down by it:

The series has a great feeling of spinning up to be a long, drawn out story of survival against the Inhibitors, and then he resolves the plot entirely in the epilogue. I mean, it's not implausible in the universe - Travelling Fearlessly the grub talks about how there are a lot of surviving super-advanced species out there - but it's a pretty abrupt end.

He also leaves such interesting threads dangling: why is FTL travel so taboo, and what's on the other side? Who was the Maidemoiselle and was she actually acting through Skade? He hints pretty heavily that Sky Haussman survives, so where does he end up?

https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1044691056250388481

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Red Crown posted:

Revelation Space series suffers from diminishing returns and the need to make enemies super-evil so you don't root for them.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
At some point, they re-uploaded the preview for Tiamat's Wrath. Book's out tomorrow. You should probably know that the first line mentions a character dying.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Krazyface posted:

At some point, they re-uploaded the preview for Tiamat's Wrath. Book's out tomorrow. You should probably know that the first line mentions a character dying.

oohoohhhhhhh nooooooooooooo

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Krazyface posted:

I guessed correctly!

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Alright thread, I'm back again.

I got back into fantasy around 7 years ago by reading A Song of Ice and Fire, and since then, I've plowed through a dozen authors, and I've finally hit a rut. So far, I've read everything by:

Joe Abercrombie
Mark Lawrence
Robert Jackson Bennett
Django Wexler
Brian Staveley
Scott Lynch
Brandon Sanderson
Brian McClellan
Brent Weeks
Anthony Ryan
Michael J. Sullivan
Richard K. Morgan
Daniel O'Malley
Patrick loving Rothfuss

I've enjoyed all of the above authors (sigh, even Rothfuss), with Abercrombie probably striking the most perfect note of low fantasy, sardonic humor, and strong characters. Robert Jackson Bennett's Divine Cities trilogy was outstanding with a really intriguing setting and well-developed characters to back it up. I like Sanderson, Weeks's, and McClellan's magic systems, and their world-building generally makes up for weaker dialogue and writing. Wexler and Stavely have been enjoyable, but truth be told, I read them back-to-back...and they aren't particularly memorable.

I've tried to read some high fantasy series like Book of the Fallen, and N.K. Jemison, and Kameron Hurley, and it just didn't click for me. The Palace Job by Patrick Weekes might be the worst thing I've managed to power through. I've previously read all of LeGuin's Earthsea and everything Hobb has written involving Fitz. I enjoyed them, but it's not something I'd like to go back to.

I'm about to take a week's vacation -- fill me with your fantasy recommendations. Thanks!

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Steven Brust and Seth Dickenson. Maybe Lev Grossman although portal fantasy is outside the space your list defines.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
David Gemell. If you want to read about a dude who solves his problems with an axe, Druss the legend is there for you.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Red Crown posted:

Here’s a bit of clarification on the Mademoiselle: https://revelationspace.fandom.com/wiki/The_Mademoiselle

If it helps :(

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Aggro posted:

Alright thread, I'm back again.

I got back into fantasy around 7 years ago by reading A Song of Ice and Fire, and since then, I've plowed through a dozen authors, and I've finally hit a rut. So far, I've read everything by:

Joe Abercrombie
Mark Lawrence
Robert Jackson Bennett
Django Wexler
Brian Staveley
Scott Lynch
Brandon Sanderson
Brian McClellan
Brent Weeks
Anthony Ryan
Michael J. Sullivan
Richard K. Morgan
Daniel O'Malley
Patrick loving Rothfuss

I've enjoyed all of the above authors (sigh, even Rothfuss), with Abercrombie probably striking the most perfect note of low fantasy, sardonic humor, and strong characters. Robert Jackson Bennett's Divine Cities trilogy was outstanding with a really intriguing setting and well-developed characters to back it up. I like Sanderson, Weeks's, and McClellan's magic systems, and their world-building generally makes up for weaker dialogue and writing. Wexler and Stavely have been enjoyable, but truth be told, I read them back-to-back...and they aren't particularly memorable.

I've tried to read some high fantasy series like Book of the Fallen, and N.K. Jemison, and Kameron Hurley, and it just didn't click for me. The Palace Job by Patrick Weekes might be the worst thing I've managed to power through. I've previously read all of LeGuin's Earthsea and everything Hobb has written involving Fitz. I enjoyed them, but it's not something I'd like to go back to.

I'm about to take a week's vacation -- fill me with your fantasy recommendations. Thanks!

Take a break from your streak with a book by a woman! I'm sorry Jemisin and Hurley didn't click, those would definitely have been two of my recs. Have you tried Ursula Leguin (welp I can read good) The Raven Tower by Ann Leckie? Or maybe The Poppy War by RF Kuang? Have you considered trying any science fiction?

comedy option, run that streak deep into a hole in the ground: R Scott Bakker

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Glen Cook
Lois McMaster Bujold's fantasy
LeGuinn's Earthsea series - all six books.
The Paksennarion seriews by Elizabeth Moon.
Zelazny, Lord of Light.
Seconding Brust. Read To Reign in Hell then start picking up the Taltos series.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Check out Jack Vance's Lyonesse, it was a big influence on A Song of Ice and Fire and one of the most beautiful fantasy series there is. The first hundred pages or so of Suldrun's Garden are rather slow but it's well worth getting through.

How about some classic sword n sorcery? Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories are the archetype; others to check out would be Moorcock's Elric, CL Moore's Jirel of Joiry, Michael Shea's Nifft the Lean. A big influence on folks like Joe Abercrombie and Glen Cook for sure.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

General Battuta posted:

Take a break from your streak with a book by a woman! I'm sorry Jemisin and Hurley didn't click, those would definitely have been two of my recs. Have you tried Ursula Leguin (welp I can read good) The Raven Tower by Ann Leckie? Or maybe The Poppy War by RF Kuang? Have you considered trying any science fiction?

comedy option, run that streak deep into a hole in the ground: R Scott Bakker

I mean really, you don’t like Jemisin? Did you read Fifth Season or Inheritance? It makes a difference. Maybe also try Martha Wells. Thread fave is Murderbot but her fantasy is solid.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I didn't see Terry Pratchett on that list, p. messed up TBH.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Chairchucker posted:

I didn't see Terry Pratchett on that list, p. messed up TBH.

Pratchett's purest fantasy stuff (the first two or three Rincewind centric books) is very skippable.
Wouldn't really call Pratchett's Witches series, Guards series, Death series, etc series fantasy because even at their rawest 1st book states, they were more like humorous fiction pastiches that just happened to be set in a fantasy world......shaped like a disc....resting ontop of titanic elephants...etc.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

occamsnailfile posted:

I mean really, you don’t like Jemisin? Did you read Fifth Season or Inheritance? It makes a difference. Maybe also try Martha Wells. Thread fave is Murderbot but her fantasy is solid.

I read Fifth Season after it won the Hugo a few years ago. I should probably give it another shot — I think it just wasn’t what I expected from “wizards on the run”, which is how it was described to me.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd honestly try giving Erikson a second chance; some people recommend skipping the first book and starting at Deadhouse Gates, that could help a lot. It's bit harder to get into than your average fantasy series but it will l'ast you fo'r a whi'le. He also hits the similar combination of humor/horror that Abercrombie goes for but - at least in my opinion - is much better at it.

e: Also China Mieville if you don't mind steampunk.
e2: And if you liked Bennett, chances are you'll enjoy Max Gladstone.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 25, 2019

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Aggro posted:

Try Gutter Prayer, Priest of Bones, Cradle, For the Killing of Kings, Blackwing, The Waking Fire and maybe give Mother of Learning and A Practical Guide to Evil a try, they're fun.

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you haven't read The Goblin Emperor, you should read it, it's dope. When the names scare you, don't forget that there's an appendix that explains how they work.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 25, 2019

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
If anyone's looking for a good standalone fantasy piece, Ann Leckie's newest, The Raven Tower was really good.

Pretty small setting and cast of characters, but the intriguing way the novel approaches the idea of gods in a fantasy setting keeps things interesting. And the inherent mystery stringing it all together kept me hooked.

It does have a different sort of narrator, which is why parts are seemingly in second person. But the way all of that comes together is fantastic.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
I read Below by Lee Galtieri that someone recommended a few weeks back, and it was pretty enjoyable for what it is. Any of his other stuff decent? I probably won’t be in the mood for something like that soon, but you never know.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

Considering the laundry files are mostly nerd jokes I wonder what you see in the series then? An illustration of UK bureaucracy?
It sounds like the TV series would be The Office (Cthulu edition)

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Pratchett's purest fantasy stuff (the first two or three Rincewind centric books) is very skippable.
Wouldn't really call Pratchett's Witches series, Guards series, Death series, etc series fantasy because even at their rawest 1st book states, they were more like humorous fiction pastiches that just happened to be set in a fantasy world......shaped like a disc....resting ontop of titanic elephants...etc.

The first 3 Pratchett are still great.
Also by your logic, GoT is a retelling of the War of the Roses with dragons.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

I'd watch that.

Cardiac posted:

GoT is a retelling of the War of the Roses with dragons.
A retelling devoid of tackling any issues past "middle ages sucked", but isn't that literally what it is?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

I'd watch that.
A retelling devoid of tackling any issues past "middle ages sucked", but isn't that literally what it is?

It's totally different. He changed Lancaster to Lannister. See different.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Never bothered reading Martin's game of thrones because his self-edited/curated WildCard series was too poo poo/degenerate/rapey/murder-rapey for me.
Sanderson, Goodkind + Kim Stanley Robinson always seemed like stockholm syndrome trap authors, so avoided them too.

Cryptologs:
Unredacted info in Cryptolog (dec 1974) #05 managed to spoil something completely redacted in Cryptolog #02 (sept 1974). Good job NSA. If my barely interested rear end caught that slip, can only imagine what other vastly more motivated peoples/agencies/foreign governments have been able to catch.
loving fire whoever did the censoring.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Never bothered reading Martin's game of thrones because his self-edited/curated WildCard series was too poo poo/degenerate/rapey/murder-rapey for me.
Sanderson, Goodkind + Kim Stanley Robinson always seemed like stockholm syndrome trap authors, so avoided them too.

I wouldn't lump KSR in with the rest of them, he's not really one of those authors I could see someone convincing themselves they like purely because they're popular/sunk cost. It's more that KSR is such extremely hard sci-fi that if that's not your thing, you probably won't like most of his books. I read Aurora and didn't like it for a lot of reasons, but still, certain parts of the book have stuck with me even a couple of years later, and I would absolutely recommend it to people. It wasn't my cup of tea but he's miles ahead of crap like Goodkind.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Cardiac posted:

Considering the laundry files are mostly nerd jokes I wonder what you see in the series then? An illustration of UK bureaucracy?

They should make it The Thick of It (Cthulhu Edition).

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Goodking is worse than those other authors by an order of magnitude.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good audiobook? I'm going on a trip and will be driving a ton, and a good book to keep me going would help. I have a bunch of books in my backlog, but I kind of want to read them as books. Sci-fi, fantasy, whatever - just a good book done well in audio.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I’ve been listening to Bujold’s Penric & Desdemona novellas in audiobook form because that’s the only way to get them from my library and they’re pretty good

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Sulphagnist posted:

They should make it The Thick of It (Cthulhu Edition).

War with R'hleh is unforseeable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Solitair posted:

Goodking is worse than those other authors by an order of magnitude.

Ok, that makes sense because the name Goodkind scans as being extemely made-up to me. The KSR clarification: thanks, scientist-leader hard scifi devolves into preachiness or utter boredom fast for me.

Plenty of modern scifi/fantasy authors have tried writing endless series but excluding the mens adventure book genre, it's pretty drat hard to top EC Tubbs Dumarest of Terra scifi-adventure series. For 32 books, the question was "Will Dumarest reach Earth by the end of this book?", and the answer was gently caress No. Read two or three books in that series, and it was very Quantum Leap-y in that progress was made, but never quite enough to get home.

Had to exclude the mens adventure genre, because there is multiple mens adventure series with 50+ -100+ "books" published(the Destroyer, the Executioner, etc). Used the word "books" in quotation marks because they are usually thin-as-hell (think shorter stories than Martha Wells's standalone murderbot books), 60-70% of every story is blow-by-blow action-scenes/main character sex-god scenes, and everything is written at a 5th grade reading level.