Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Goddamn it STAC its Manu not Mana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Somebody should have made mana.jpg or mana.gif for this season. Anytime Joe does something relevant, we could remind ourselves of what the depths of his soul look like.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

blue squares posted:

Goddamn it STAC its Manu not Mana

I assure you I'm always incredibly embarrassed when this happens. I'm even terrible with tribe names.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Gavin could be a problem for Joe at immunity challenges, he's go that unstoppable southerner force.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Do they give contestants sunscreen? They should all be sunburned raw.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan

Invalid Validation posted:

Do they give contestants sunscreen? They should all be sunburned raw.

They must, which makes me think there is a hidden area at camp where there are off camera items

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Elphiem posted:

They must, which makes me think there is a hidden area at camp where there are off camera items

i think that any medication is given at/with treemail

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
There’s been interviews where it’s been revealed there’s a box at camp they have access to with anyone’s medications, contacts and contact solution, condoms, sunscreen, bug spray, birth control medication, and tampons/pads.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Survivor is an interesting tightrope walk from a production standpoint. You want them to have it rough, but if they have it too rough, they won't do the crazy stuff that makes good TV because they just won't have the energy. The endgame of the second season is pretty much a textbook example of this; nobody was doing anything and everyone was miserable because they were all legitimately starving to death.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Spergatory posted:

Survivor is an interesting tightrope walk from a production standpoint. You want them to have it rough, but if they have it too rough, they won't do the crazy stuff that makes good TV because they just won't have the energy. The endgame of the second season is pretty much a textbook example of this; nobody was doing anything and everyone was miserable because they were all legitimately starving to death.

Yeah, I find it weird that they've been doubling down on the roughness of the conditions the past few seasons (giving them less rice, no bathing suits, etc.). Besides the general danger (almost killing Caleb wasn't enough for them???), it's just strange from a production standpoint because at some point people get so miserable that they can't really strategize or do anything fun.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Almost killing Caleb? Oh wait, I'm thinking of Colton. I don't remember Caleb, was that more recent? I stalled out on my Survivor binge in the 20s so I still have some history to get to.

Comparing Survivor to some other island shows I've peeped, I think I can see why they want to maintain the roughness of things. Some of those shows just turn into Real World but they're on a beach and bickering over nasty tinned UK food. There's definitely a sweetspot between too starving for scheming and too fed for desperation and struggle.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Caleb was fairly recent. Brains vs Brawn vs Beauty. As I recall it he got heatstroke during a digging comp where they just couldn't find what they were looking for and were out there for hours. I'm biased because I don't like Caleb from BB but I think that was more of a perfect storm of a comp that maybe had a design flaw, a bad day, and an especially stubborn player.

Ultimately while they don't want to wear them down too much the elements of Survivor that make it unique from other reality TV and game shows include the hold "surviving" thing.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 24, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh actually I have seen that one, just bad with... anything memory related. I think that was the last complete season I finished too haha, the one after wasn't as immediately captivating.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Caleb was in Kaoh Rong, not BBB.

In the same challenge, Debbie also collapsed on the sidelines.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Cydney collapsed too.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Spergatory posted:

I watch Naked and Afraid when I get cravings for survival based human suffering. They always end up losing their minds, destroyed by bug bites and sunburn and dropping a pound a day starving to death. I assume Survivor wants people a little stressed but not so crazy they want out of the game.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I didn't necessarily mean that production was directly culpable for what happened in that challenge (although I don't think they're completely innocent either given that 3 of 14 people went down, and IIRC they purposefully changed the challenge to be more physically demanding at the last minute for some inexplicable reason). I just meant that you would think after that semi-recent close call they would generally be more careful and err on the side of caution with respect to the physical demands they put the players through.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've never seen confirmation of sunscreen but they must get it. They'd be destroyed otherwise.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

The Bloop posted:

I've never seen confirmation of sunscreen but they must get it. They'd be destroyed otherwise.

In season 26, Cochran gets really bad sunburn on the first day. I think he later explained it as him and the other returnees having to do that opening challenge before they went to base camp or checked in at Ponderosa at all (to hide them from the newbies), so none of them got to put on sunscreen, and since he burns easier than most anyway... :shrug:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

No his nose was already like that

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

blue squares posted:

No his nose was already like that

Yeah but his feet weren't.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

The Bloop posted:

I foolishly only applied sunscreen one time in a 3 hour period when I was in Fiji and got the worst sunburn of my life that took me out for like six days so I can't imagine they don't get any

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

lollin at you white people that die in the sun

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Aerox posted:

There’s been interviews where it’s been revealed there’s a box at camp they have access to with anyone’s medications, contacts and contact solution, condoms, sunscreen, bug spray, birth control medication, and tampons/pads.

I'm more surprised that Russell hasn't tampered with those at some point.

The fact that they have condoms and birth control is also making me wonder how often contestants actually do it. I mean, you're both gross and there are also people about, constantly, but hey, you do you.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ApplesandOranges posted:

The fact that they have condoms and birth control is also making me wonder how often contestants actually do it. I mean, you're both gross and there are also people about, constantly, but hey, you do you.

Sounds like they actually do each other :haw:

I would guess it's very infrequent but they have it there just in case.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

ApplesandOranges posted:

People in production say it has happened, but it's rare.

Someone from a recent season said they tried to use the condom with some water in it to make a magnifying glass to start fire. It didn't work and it led to people on the cast to speculate on who had been loving.

I wish I had names. Going off of memory here.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
https://twitter.com/Lynne_13/status/1106042660588908544

https://twitter.com/JeffProbst/status/1110629749905334275

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That's cool as gently caress

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Lynne > Tyler Perry

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

blue squares posted:

That's cool as gently caress

It really is. Both the thing and the fact that they took a suggestion like that and went with it

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

midseason even!

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
That's such a stupidly useful idea that I'm surprised it hasn't come up before.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
I'd like to see Probst as a contestant

They could get the Australian Survivor guy to host.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It also shows they have no qualms editing the season after it has begun airing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's kind of interesting. Rob and Fish were actually arguing about that a little bit last week with Stephen thinking they might have tweaked something in the edit to play to the audience reactions and Rob rejecting the idea.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Stephen thinking they might have tweaked something in the edit to play to the audience reactions

In what way?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It was something about Julie or Julia not getting confessionals.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I dunno. Putting an icon next to a name is probably so simple compared to changing confessionals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, from what I remember the two of them were joking about the Joe/Julia segment and Fish said fans were talking about Julia having zero confessionals (I guess this is those weird edit readers who like count up segments and stuff) and joked/suggested that the editors gave her one to address it/nod to them. Rob disagreed (and I'd probably agree with him on this particular case) but then it digressed into a brief little thing about how far in advance the show is finished package and whether they have time/room to change some things mid-season (I'd say they could and there's probably like 1 segment's worth of wiggle room if needed but probably rarely happens). It was short, just one of their "Know It All" disagreement digressions.

Show time! First time I've been able to watch live all season!