Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there any good books about Luthor Harkon in WH Fantasy? I got Warhammer 2 this week and he's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

rocket_Magnet posted:

You'd love the night Lord's trilogy by the same author then. Starts with soul Hunter, you'll still be rooting for them by then end of the trilogy even with all the terrible poo poo they do throughout.

I'm halfway through the second book and they are great. You really do end up rooting for them, and they do terrible things.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I didn't really care that much for the first Night Lords book, but I did like how they said "this is loving stupid" and ditched Abaddon's assault on the Forge World at the end. I also liked the short story where they spent the whole time mocking the Blood Angels trying and failing to get their relics back.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

finally got 'round to Anarch

r.i.p...
r.i.p. everybody

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I Wanna read some ham, its been a while. Anything come out semi recently that I Can grab?

Any thoughts on...
Legacy of Wulfen
Cadia Stands
Dark Imperium/Plague War (thread consensus seemed to be super underwhelming)
Horuisian war
Those Castellean grey knight books?
The second space sharks book
Ashes of Prospero

I've recently read
Ahriman
The Devestation of Baal/Dante
Emperor's Legion
Carrion Throne
Lords of Silence
Sons of Hydra
War of Secrets

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
FWIW, I'm absolutely loving adoring Talon of Horus right now.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Skip Ashes of Prospero unless desperate for anything to read. And that's the only one off that list I've read so away I go.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Waroduce posted:

I Wanna read some ham, its been a while. Anything come out semi recently that I Can grab?

Any thoughts on...
Legacy of Wulfen
Cadia Stands
Horuisian war
Ashes of Prospero

I've recently read
Ahriman
Emperor's Legion
Carrion Throne
Lords of Silence
Sons of Hydra
War of Secrets

I really enjoyed the 2 Horusian Wars books. Those are your best bets in that list. Definitely John French's best work.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
How bad of an idea would it be to start the Gaunt's Ghost series with The Warmaster? I know there's a lot that comes before it but it's the first one that has an audio version and listening during my commute is the only time I have for novels.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Senjuro posted:

How bad of an idea would it be to start the Gaunt's Ghost series with The Warmaster? I know there's a lot that comes before it but it's the first one that has an audio version and listening during my commute is the only time I have for novels.

At least read the wiki first but your missing a hell of a ride

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Senjuro posted:

If you're starting from late in the series get The Victory Part One. It includes Blood Pact and Salvation's Reach and it is kind of a semi restart for the series because it's a breather follow-up to the nonstop crusading of the earlier books.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Senjuro posted:

Very bad idea. Bigly bad and terrible idea!

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Biplane posted:

Very bad idea. Bigly bad and terrible idea!

That sounds pretty bad. Guess I'll go back to waiting for the earlier ones to get audio versions, as unlikely as it is at this point.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Broad strokes primer for someone starting late in Gaunt's Ghosts.

Gaunt is a career soldier who achieved the double rank of Colonel-Commissar thanks to a successful action on Balhaut that saved the Crusade. He made enemies in high command because his promotion was decreed on the death bed of Slaydo the warmaster, and they wanted him gone so they could cozy up to Slaydo's replacement, Macaroth.

Gaunt is sent to Tanith to raise three regiments. A Chaos splinter fleet escaped Macaroth's forces and burned the planet, so Gaunt made the call and got as many troops offworld as he could rather than fight to the last. These formed the Tanith First and Only, aka Gaunt's Ghosts.

At the battle of Vervunhive on Verghast, Gaunt oversaw the defense of a city with around 10,000 Guardsmen and PDF troops against 15 million cultists. Vervunhive was wrecked and the survivors were given the option to join up with depleted regiments, so the Ghosts took on Verghastite soldiers, including several women making the regiment mixed-gender.

The Ghosts played a pivotal role in the return of the Beati, a Living Saint in the form of Sabbat herself. Following her resurrection, the Ghosts were amalgamated with the Belladon forces for around two years under the command of Lucien Wilder. After Gaunt and the senior staff of the Ghosts returned from a covert ops mission, command of the regiment was put in question until Gaunt was given command back by Wilder, who died holding off chaos forces on a failed attack against an entrenched archenemy world.

The Ghosts suffered 50% casualties defending the flank of Van Voytz's campaign on the world of Jago, and were taken off of active duty after 12 years of frontline service. Two years later on Balhaut, rebuilding since its liberation just before the start of the series, the novel Blood Pact begins, starting the fourth arc, The Victory.

DRAMATIS PERSONAE

Gaunt himself, CO of Tanith 1st and Only

Major Rawne, second in command, Tanith

Major Gol Kolea, Verghastite

Major Braden Baskevyl, Belladon

Captain Tona Criid, Verghastite

Captain Ban Daur, Verghastite

Scoutmaster Mkoll, Tanith space Irish Solid Snake

Sniper "Mad" Hlaine Larkin, Tanith

Captain Flynn Meryn, rear end in a top hat

Shoggy Domor, imagine he looks like a grimdark version of Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys

Ceglan Varl, joker and Iron Hand Straken impersonator.

Eszrah Night, a moth man bodyguard to Gaunt who speaks gothic like a welshman mutters english.

Viktor Hark, Commissar.

That's just a handful of the characters, but they tend to be the ones more important in The Victory without going into spoilers for others. Varl and Domor I just put up there because they tend to be focus characters for the enlisted troopers.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Waroduce posted:

Any thoughts on...
Legacy of Wulfen
Cadia Stands
Horuisian war
Ashes of Prospero

I've recently read
Ahriman
Emperor's Legion
Carrion Throne
Lords of Silence
Sons of Hydra
War of Secrets

I liked the second space sharks books.

I didn't mind Dark Imperium, it was interesting to see the rebooted setting, but if you've picked up on the new status quo independently I probably wouldn't bother.

The first Horusian book was alright, didn't like the sequel YMMV.

There's a new Gaunts Ghosts recently out if you're not up to date on that series.

Edit: Oh and there was a new Eisenhorn novel a while back as well.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 24, 2019

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Arcsquad12 posted:

Broad strokes primer for someone starting late in Gaunt's Ghosts.

Gaunt is a career soldier who achieved the double rank of Colonel-Commissar thanks to a successful action on Balhaut that saved the Crusade. He made enemies in high command because his promotion was decreed on the death bed of Slaydo the warmaster, and they wanted him gone so they could cozy up to Slaydo's replacement, Macaroth.

Gaunt is sent to Tanith to raise three regiments. A Chaos splinter fleet escaped Macaroth's forces and burned the planet, so Gaunt made the call and got as many troops offworld as he could rather than fight to the last. These formed the Tanith First and Only, aka Gaunt's Ghosts.

At the battle of Vervunhive on Verghast, Gaunt oversaw the defense of a city with around 10,000 Guardsmen and PDF troops against 15 million cultists. Vervunhive was wrecked and the survivors were given the option to join up with depleted regiments, so the Ghosts took on Verghastite soldiers, including several women making the regiment mixed-gender.

The Ghosts played a pivotal role in the return of the Beati, a Living Saint in the form of Sabbat herself. Following her resurrection, the Ghosts were amalgamated with the Belladon forces for around two years under the command of Lucien Wilder. After Gaunt and the senior staff of the Ghosts returned from a covert ops mission, command of the regiment was put in question until Gaunt was given command back by Wilder, who died holding off chaos forces on a failed attack against an entrenched archenemy world.

The Ghosts suffered 50% casualties defending the flank of Van Voytz's campaign on the world of Jago, and were taken off of active duty after 12 years of frontline service. Two years later on Balhaut, rebuilding since its liberation just before the start of the series, the novel Blood Pact begins, starting the fourth arc, The Victory.

DRAMATIS PERSONAE

Gaunt himself, CO of Tanith 1st and Only

Major Rawne, second in command, Tanith

Major Gol Kolea, Verghastite

Major Braden Baskevyl, Belladon

Captain Tona Criid, Verghastite

Captain Ban Daur, Verghastite

Scoutmaster Mkoll, Tanith space Irish Solid Snake

Sniper "Mad" Hlaine Larkin, Tanith

Captain Flynn Meryn, rear end in a top hat

Shoggy Domor, imagine he looks like a grimdark version of Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys

Ceglan Varl, joker and Iron Hand Straken impersonator.

Eszrah Night, a moth man bodyguard to Gaunt who speaks gothic like a welshman mutters english.

Viktor Hark, Commissar.

That's just a handful of the characters, but they tend to be the ones more important in The Victory without going into spoilers for others. Varl and Domor I just put up there because they tend to be focus characters for the enlisted troopers.

Question for you: do you have physical copies of warmaster/anarch. If so i will lend you any of my warhams books/other books in a trade

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Question for you: do you have physical copies of warmaster/anarch. If so i will lend you any of my warhams books/other books in a trade

Sorry, but I'm keeping my copies. You're in Ottawa, right Bunnyofdoom? I know the Chapters at Rideau street carries a decent selection of Black Library books. I checked their website and they have Warmaster in Trade Paperback right now. I'd call the store if I were you and ask them to put it on hold for up to three days. Pinecrest, Barrhaven and Gloucester have single copies of Anarch in hardcover at the moment.

While I really can't survive with my job at Chapters, there are some perks, I have to admit.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 25, 2019

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sorry, but I'm keeping my copies. You're in Ottawa, right Bunnyofdoom? I know the Chapters at Rideau street carries a decent selection of Black Library books. I checked their website and they have Warmaster in Trade Paperback right now. I'd call the store if I were you and ask them to put it on hold for up to three days. Pinecrest, Barrhaven and Gloucester have single copies of Anarch in hardcover at the moment.

While I really can't survive with my job at Chapters, there are some perks, I have to admit.

The status of the astartes surely have fallen during the years.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Arcsquad12 posted:

Heh, that's the Chapters I go to all the time for my book too and usually leaving with a giant pile anytime I visit.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Weirdly BL have dropped the 'Coming Soon' section. It's official as well apparently and not a BL screw-up. They're going to be announcing things elsewhere. Specifically

quote:

The Coming Soon page has been de-activated, and we'll be bringing you all the latest news here on Facebook, in our newsletters and on the Warhammer Community website

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'll probably head down there Friday when I get some cash then.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Deptfordx posted:

Weirdly BL have dropped the 'Coming Soon' section. It's official as well apparently and not a BL screw-up. They're going to be announcing things elsewhere. Specifically

I noticed that as well, kinda weird. On the other hand they have been making a lot of good decisions lately, we will see I guess. I’ve been checking that section for the ebook edition of spears of the emperor...

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Maybe they're going to push all the books through the games workshop site? I think they're (or did?) doing that for the first siege of terra book.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It still says the Solar War is out on Amazon as a paperback, 30th May. Might be a placeholder :shrug:

I'll just go and check on the BL site.... Oh wait.

Edit: If you search on their site, it takes you to a page of HH novels including the Solar War, clicking on it for more details gets you a 404.

Oh Black Library you are truly the Bethesda of books.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 25, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Deptfordx posted:

:stare:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Amazon has Solar War as MAy 28

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Deptfordx posted:

seeing as BL has taken steps to improve their poo poo much unlike bethesda, this comparison is unjust and unwanted. expect a commissariat visit momentarily, heretic

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I gotta say that I'm guper glad that I grabbed a copy of the 2018 Black Library Celebration because the short story Endurance by Chris Wraight is very enjoyable. I really do hope that he continues to get work writing Death Guard because he does a really good job.

I've picked up "The Wicked and the Damned" and so far the first novella is very enjoyable.

In any case, the main reason for my post is that I just finished rereading The First Heretic and I want some more Horus Heresy Word Bearers. I already have Aurelian, Betrayer, and Know no Fear on my reading list but does anyone else have any suggestions for Heresy books worth reading if I wanted to go through the series focusing on the Word Bearers?

Opentarget
Mar 17, 2009
I picked up Maledictions at Adepticon and have read through the first few shorts in it. They're plenty enjoyable, but not what I would consider horror. They are definitely focused on some of the more grimdark aspects of fluff, but I think the problem is that I might be a bit desensitized to scary things in the settings because everything 'normal' is already pretty hosed up.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GgDoxf35FU

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

jadebullet posted:

I gotta say that I'm guper glad that I grabbed a copy of the 2018 Black Library Celebration because the short story Endurance by Chris Wraight is very enjoyable. I really do hope that he continues to get work writing Death Guard because he does a really good job.

I've picked up "The Wicked and the Damned" and so far the first novella is very enjoyable.

In any case, the main reason for my post is that I just finished rereading The First Heretic and I want some more Horus Heresy Word Bearers. I already have Aurelian, Betrayer, and Know no Fear on my reading list but does anyone else have any suggestions for Heresy books worth reading if I wanted to go through the series focusing on the Word Bearers?

Comedy "Battle For The Abyss" option for HH era Word Bearers.
(don't do this)

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Just finished Titanicus in about 2 days and I gotta say, Abnett is really good

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Abnett is real, and strong, and he's my friend

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Talon of Horus by ADB is the good poo poo. Keeble knocks it out of the park on audiobook as usual.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Sjs00 posted:

Just finished Titanicus in about 2 days and I gotta say, Abnett is really good

I believe there was some talk from Abnett a little while back about writing a sequel.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Currently reading Maledictions, the short story collection that's kicking off the Warhammer Horror imprint, and I'm favourably impressed. It's obviously a bit hit-and-miss by dint of being a multi-author anthology, but the ratio's good.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

I believe there was some talk from Abnett a little while back about writing a sequel.

That man never stops talking about stuff he wants to write. His recent interview mentioned he's currently halfway through Penitent but also talked about sequels to Titanicus and Double Eagle, plus wanting to do books about the Unification Wars. Years worth of stuff to fit round his (probably way more profitable) comics work.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Deptfordx posted:

Edit: Oh and there was a new Eisenhorn novel a while back as well.

Oh jeez, until you posted this I didn’t realize Magos wasn’t just a collection of short stories. I decided to listen to it before after the Eisenhorn trilogy but before starting Ravenor’s.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Oh jeez, until you posted this I didn’t realize Magos wasn’t just a collection of short stories. I decided to listen to it before after the Eisenhorn trilogy but before starting Ravenor’s.

Magos goes after Ravenor but before Pariah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Oh man. Some unification wars or great crusade books would be very much my poo poo.