Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

lurksion posted:

Nomad is probably the easiest way to play the game if you can deal with the tedious clicking after conquering anything.

I honestly never bothered to play as nomad so far, as I'm usually very busy consolidating everything I own into highly upgraded and castle-filled shitholes and ignore my city-level vassals forever. Is it nice? An actual alternative gameplay, or just regular reign but with minuses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Aren't there two requirements for forming the HRE, depending on your start date? I don't play much in the Charlemagne start, I want to like it but it tends to blob more than I like and I wish the culture events had more to them. In general I feel like the Charlemagne start needs a bit more polish and sprucing up to make it really great. I tend to play Old Gods start most.

That said, I feel like my games tended to play out either more or less historically with Charles establishing the empire, or the Karlings just fail to do a loving thing and get the poo poo kicked out of them by the Saxons. Been a while though, admittedly.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Goons Are Great posted:

I honestly never bothered to play as nomad so far, as I'm usually very busy consolidating everything I own into highly upgraded and castle-filled shitholes and ignore my city-level vassals forever. Is it nice? An actual alternative gameplay, or just regular reign but with minuses?

You don't have any holdings to speak of, just lots and lots of grazing land and a retinue basically.

I've found the biggest difference from most games is you are drowning in ducats and have level 4 everything equipped at all times

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

catlord posted:

Aren't there two requirements for forming the HRE, depending on your start date?

Yes. It's much easier to form the HRE in the non-Charlie start dates, the requirements are much lower. Also, the relationship requirement in the 769 start was nerfed to +25 pope opinion, and the AI is exempt from them.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Yeah I figured they might have updated it

catlord posted:

Aren't there two requirements for forming the HRE, depending on your start date? I don't play much in the Charlemagne start, I want to like it but it tends to blob more than I like and I wish the culture events had more to them. In general I feel like the Charlemagne start needs a bit more polish and sprucing up to make it really great. I tend to play Old Gods start most.

That said, I feel like my games tended to play out either more or less historically with Charles establishing the empire, or the Karlings just fail to do a loving thing and get the poo poo kicked out of them by the Saxons. Been a while though, admittedly.

You have to control all the land and the pope has to have 100 opinion of you iirc.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

All this is why an official Otto the Great/Iranian Intermezzo start would be *really* nice (and also work better with the mechanics of the game)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

All this is why an official Otto the Great/Iranian Intermezzo start would be *really* nice (and also work better with the mechanics of the game)
I believe that Historical Immersion Project is slowly getting there. They have 1042, 1018 and I think 990 starts out now.

Which means yes you can keep Canute's Empire together or prevent the Seljuk conquests as Mahmud Ghazni.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The game narrowly can portray the splitting of Charlemagne's kingdom, and the formation of Lotharingia is honestly one of those weird bizzare historical things that probably wouldn't happen 8 times out of 10. It also requires you to ignore that thing the pope said to Charlemagne about being King of all Romans because CK2 HRE is really Otto's thing.

The game really can't portray the way the Umayyads and Abbasids fell apart, central authority just weakening and dissolving, states breaking away and then the old nation not really having the resources to make bring them back into the fold. Most I can think of is if the AI somehow could go over the vassal limit. And there definitely still isn't a mechanic to get killed by your bodyguards because they want more money. Seljuk has also seemed pretty timid, or maybe CK2 just has made empires too powerful.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the umayyads fell apart because I BROKE THEM APART, BRICK BY ROTTEN BRICK

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Coolguye posted:

the umayyads fell apart because I BROKE THEM APART, BRICK BY DECADENT BRICK

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Coolguye posted:

the umayyads fell apart because I BROKE THEM APART, BRICK BY ROTTEN BRICK

Uh, mods? New thread title please

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Major Isoor posted:

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Major Isoor posted:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So having just started playing this fairly recently, there's...no easy way to expand as a count, is there? Like, I already ran into the trap of taking someone into my court with a claim on a nearby county, making him a vassal through the only method possible (giving him one of my towns) and conquering that county, which then hands said county over to the new guy and he's no longer my vassal.

I guess the obvious answer would be "Don't play as a count" but regardless

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Get a good chancellor and use him to fabricate claims on your neighbors.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DeathChicken posted:

So having just started playing this fairly recently, there's...no easy way to expand as a count, is there? Like, I already ran into the trap of taking someone into my court with a claim on a nearby county, making him a vassal through the only method possible (giving him one of my towns) and conquering that county, which then hands said county over to the new guy and he's no longer my vassal.

I guess the obvious answer would be "Don't play as a count" but regardless

Jup, playing as a count is pretty miserable. I had some great games where my chars stayed dukes the whole time, but counts are just no fun.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Fabricate claims, stab into claims of relatives, or marry titles into the family and let your heir press them when inherited.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there's a few ways you can ostensibly break out of the count trap, but they're all situational. the usual setup is to get a claim on the ducal title, probably through a plot, and then borrow money from the jews to hire mercenaries. start a claimant faction with yourself as the claimant, and then send an ultimatum to your liege. he will probably fight you, but 300 gold will hire 1500 men for a long while, which is plenty to crack most dukes.

naturally, if you cannot get to the 60% threshold to get the claim on the ducal title, though, you are boned. there's a bunch of ways you can attempt to get there, though, including taking the carousing focus and partying with people, but some counts just don't have the juice for it.

my current game continues to be loving insane in every way. i finally pushed the umayyads all the way back to portugal, but it covered so many counties that by the time i got them there, i was installing literal toddlers as rulers to counties and duchies because my dynasty had no other people to install. i was finally forced to look back at europe because all of my battle thralls tributaries started sending fewer men to my romp and stomp holy wars, to find that europe has become a pressure cooker that makes thunderdome look TAME. everyone is kicking everyone else's rear end full time. there are at least 9 individual powers that have been around for more than 5 years, and i specify it that way because there are lollard and waldenesian rulers popping up from revolts everywhere. lombardy apparently crashed catholicism's MA with an antipope and the resulting fights made it easy for the vikings to come in and loot a ton of temples to do the rest, despite my constant holy warring. so now i am trying to holy war heretics and get a kingdom set up in mainland europe that makes something resembling sense so we can get some stability back (the european situation is so hosed that to actually obtain the territory encompassed in the duchy of toulouse, i have to kick the german king's rear end to actually get the ducal title, then kick the french king's rear end for the actual land), and at some point the abbasids got half of portugal and one of their dumbshit emirs is holy warring me back for the, you know, 50 years of torment i visited upon his sunni brothers among the umayyad. i can't even efficiently get help because i am so threatening that the pope sent the loving papal guard after me while i was holy warring a waldenesian. as a footnote, the pope is of my dynasty and crowned me empress. sub-footnote, this is the year 885 so yeah i get a lot of heat for being a female ruler.

and while all of this is going on, the slavic pagans manage to reform their religion and start invading bohemia all over again. the entire loving world is on fire. anywhere there are two people, one person is kicking the other person's rear end.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 29, 2019

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
The first and hardest, but very possible part is to defeat one destitute fellow vassal count and take his title. Congrats, you're a double count. Keep attacking weaker enemies and spiral from there.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress me, I'm playing Semien. I've managed to last to 959 so far, but the only country I've managed to gain, I lost in a holy war to the Abbassids. Every single time I am about to win a war the game decides to end it. The best example, I was about to install a matrilineal claimant to the abassayid empire and literally the second the war score hit 100 and i was reaching for the spacebar the bastard dies on me. In a final gently caress you, almost immediately after I unpaused, his wife popped out a kid.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

punching above your weight class like that as a king-level pretty much always involves getting a bunch of battle thralls together by stepping on a ton of necks in tribute wars. a dude with 2-3k troops doesn't seem like much, but when you do that 5 times in a row suddenly you can pull out 12k troops that you don't pay upkeep on and can order around anywhere.

ultimately losing or getting screwed out of a single holy war wouldn't bother you if you had the means to step on the abbasids any time you wanted, and the primary way to do that is to go build a tributary empire. that's really difficult from europe because the sea will jam up your number of potential targets, but if you're playing semien you should be able to spread the crushing love from your more inland positions quite easily.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo, that's good advice. How do you fold those tributaries into vassalage, though?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

poo poo, that's good advice. How do you fold those tributaries into vassalage, though?

You can't turn them directly into vassals, but they'll help you win wars. Those wars can be for whatever you desire, including pressing claims, holy wars, etc.

They won't holy war against co-religionists, but everyone else is fair game.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

When you are ready / have a valid CB just release them and reconquer them for keeps after the truce ends.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone have tips for running Jewish secret societies? The last time I had one going, I couldn't seem to find any info on when the recently approached by another religion or whatever modifier disappeared and everyone seemed to have it. A couple heirs later I found out there was a secret Nestorian secret society

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

being someone's suzarain doesn't preclude you from declaring on them again for any reason. you could conceivably kick someone while they're down to become their suzarain, and then every time you want to grab a de jure claim from them or something, you start another war purely for the purpose of sending their soldiers off to die. the 'extort tribute' CB is absolutely the single most overpowered thing in the game right now.

- you get 40% of their gold income (do you like +50 gold a month for free because i sure as poo poo do)
- you can call their ENTIRE levy up at any time, excepting holy wars against their own religion
- the truce time for winning an extort tribute war is extremely short at 6 months
- implies ZERO commitments on your part - your tributaries can call you into a conflict but you can refuse to enter it at no cost
- the required warscore is very low
- craven rulers will frequently just surrender outright, resolving the entire war in a day
- and even if they don't, you still get 200 prestige for winning the war
- winning tribute wars does NOT increase your threat
- the CB can be used against anyone whose capitol is a certain distance from your borders
- the CB is usable regardless of your culture or religion

the literal only conceivable downside is that when your current ruler dies, the tributary relationship breaks, so your heir will have to go running around doing this entire ritual again when it's their turn. even then though, because each war constitutes 200 prestige for you, even that is not entirely conceivable as a bad thing.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 25, 2019

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Turns out the Islamic friendly neighbouring CB works pretty well too. I hosed over a couple neighbors whilst they were off fighting the 18th uprising of who gives a poo poo and got my demense up to 5 counties and one 1 county vassal.

I did make the mistake of going on Hajjaj and getting the Hafiz trait so my current ruler cant convert to Judaism. But, 217 years later and the only 2 Jewish counties are still Jewish.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to befriend a vassal's wife? I want to convert to Judaism and it's now letting me assign her as a guardian to my heir.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Is there a way to befriend a vassal's wife? I want to convert to Judaism and it's now letting me assign her as a guardian to my heir.

use Sway?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I don't have holy fire and I've just bought 3 dlcs yesterday, I cant justify any more right now.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Invite her to carousing

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Various Meat Products posted:

Invite her to carousing

I cant. I'm a muslim. So I just made my hier marry her first then converted secretly. Hell yes.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Does anyone have any tips for getting the HREmperor into a regency or something? I have a weak claim on the HRE I really need to press soon to reform the frankish empire, and I can't join it as I'm already empire-tier.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I don't have holy fire and I've just bought 3 dlcs yesterday, I cant justify any more right now.

If you had read the OP, you would have known that Holy Fury is one of the 4 must have DLCs, and wouldn't have made that mistake! Unless the three DLCs you bought are Old Gods, Way of Life and Conclave, of course.

Buschmaki posted:

Does anyone have any tips for getting the HREmperor into a regency or something? I have a weak claim on the HRE I really need to press soon to reform the frankish empire, and I can't join it as I'm already empire-tier.

Murder them? Repeatedly? If you can, there will be a lot of people with claims on the HRE, and there might just be a faction pressing a pretender's claim. You can press your own weak claim against somebody in regency or if somebody else is pressing their (strong) claim.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
First two DLC's you should get are the republic and legacy of rome. :colbert:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Volkerball posted:

First two DLC's you should get are the republic and legacy of rome. :colbert:

I found Republics rather boring. You get infinite money and you don't really start slower or more unstable, and I never really got enough flavor to feel that different from a feudal ruler.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I made it from 769 to 1100 something as Semien. The Abassayids came back and boy did they not forget the bootfucking I put on them. They went out of their way to gently caress me lol.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Torrannor posted:

Murder them? Repeatedly? If you can, there will be a lot of people with claims on the HRE, and there might just be a faction pressing a pretender's claim. You can press your own weak claim against somebody in regency or if somebody else is pressing their (strong) claim.

I've assassinated like 5 kaisers and countless runners up

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Don't kill the runners up unless they'd actually make good kaisers. The more pretenders and claimants running around, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Goon Danton posted:

Don't kill the runners up unless they'd actually make good kaisers. The more pretenders and claimants running around, the better.

That's exactly how history works. Being a farmer during that time must have been suicidally entertaining.