Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Phone posted:

a coin purse?

Yeah, but one that won't be bulky. I hate having huge pockets. I try to keep my wallet to just the essential couple of cards/IDs. Looking for what you all use/recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kulex
Apr 4, 2007

A shpectre is haunting Europe - the shpectre of Shlavoj Zizek... and so on and so on.

Nanigans posted:

Yeah, but one that won't be bulky. I hate having huge pockets. I try to keep my wallet to just the essential couple of cards/IDs. Looking for what you all use/recommend.

Get a coin purse. You will amass coins. On my trip I had my wallet with just the essential cards/IDs like you but I also had a coin purse and I would've been hosed if I didn't have one with me.

Otherwise, enjoy having loose coins in your pocket. A lot of loose coins.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Nanigans posted:

What's recommended for carrying loose yen coins if you don't want them rattling around in your pockets/don't want to carry a purse or fanny pack or something?

Basically, what do guys in Japan do with their yen coins?

So I decided to go Miyajima, which is what people call Itsukushima because of the shrine there. So to carry my coins I used a drawstring pouch tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now to take the ferry cost ¥100, and when I was there ¥100 coins had pictures of cherry blossoms on them. "gimme ten flowers for a Fujisan," you'd say. Anyways, I wanted to pet some deer, and I heard that there are deer at Miyajima, which is Japanese for "Shrine Island". Being an island you need to take the ferry, so I took some coins with me in the drawstring pouch that I tied to my belt, because it was the style at the time.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Coxswain Balls posted:

So I decided to go Miyajima, which is what people call Itsukushima because of the shrine there. So to carry my coins I used a drawstring pouch tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now to take the ferry cost ¥100, and when I was there ¥100 coins had pictures of cherry blossoms on them. "gimme ten flowers for a Fujisan," you'd say. Anyways, I wanted to pet some deer, and I heard that there are deer at Miyajima, which is Japanese for "Shrine Island". Being an island you need to take the ferry, so I took some coins with me in the drawstring pouch that I tied to my belt, because it was the style at the time.

:dudsmile:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
We had to call them shitposts because the daimyo stole our word for useless

(That was a funny shitpost tho)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
gently caress u guys, I'm just getting this

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

😑 That's what I get for trying to be helpful.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
just go to a 100 yen shop and pick one up

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Aight. Those both look good. Thanks!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

DiscoJ posted:

Just a heads up, but it seems Google recently stopped working with Zenrin, a large Japanese mapping company, and have switched to some kind of (propietary?) big data-supported system.

https://japan.googleblog.com/2019/03/GoogleMapsRefresh.html (Japanese)
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-22/zenrin-falls-on-speculation-that-google-maps-partnership-is-over

Key thing to note right now is that the switchover degraded the service being provided. People have been talking about no longer being able to find locations/landmarks that were definitely in the system before the switchover occured. I've had first-hand experience of the degradation myself. I use the geocoding API at work and a certain set of addresses, the match rate dropped by ~30% vs. the same addresses in February.
https://www.reddit.com/r/japanlife/comments/b414ho/google_map_have_degraded_in_japan_since_last_night/

do you have an alternative recommendation then?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
no, they just need to work out the kinks.

Already Bored posted:

1. How have people found driving in Japan? We've thought about renting a car as a way to see more of the countryside, specifically from Tokyo to the House of Light in Tokomachi and then down to Ishakawa.

Go for it, but try not renting in Tokyo if it's your first time and you're not used to driving out of a big city.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nanigans posted:

I carry my bifold wallet with cash/essential IDs and cards, and then a coin wallet which carries point cards as well as coins.

Once you start adding up what becomes a “mandatory” must-carry item, it’s easy to understand why most people carry some kind of backpack/shoulder bag/messenger bag/man purse.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

harperdc posted:

I carry my bifold wallet with cash/essential IDs and cards, and then a coin wallet which carries point cards as well as coins.

Once you start adding up what becomes a “mandatory” must-carry item, it’s easy to understand why most people carry some kind of backpack/shoulder bag/messenger bag/man purse.

Yeah, but I heard backpacks are a big no-no for crowded trains.

I need to look into messenger bags.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

DiscoJ posted:

Just a heads up, but it seems Google recently stopped working with Zenrin, a large Japanese mapping company, and have switched to some kind of (propietary?) big data-supported system.

Please tell me who to send my resume to because I enjoy editing Google Maps and would be interested in paid editing/monitoring.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Nanigans posted:

Messenger bags are way more convenient yes. But as long as you don’t actually wear your backpack in the train and take too much space like a dork you should be fine. (Take it off and carry it)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The best wallet I've ever used in Japan:

a makeup pouch for maxi pads?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Nanigans posted:

Backpacks are fine, just put it on the ground between your feet (tuck in the straps) or carry it or put it in the overhead racks. Nobody cares as long as you don't wear it on your back while standing in the train in a crowd.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Backpacks became popular among younger workers a couple years ago, and they were way too slow to enforce etiquette about it. So basically trains are steadily filling with young men who no longer even pretend to give a gently caress if they are crushing you with their giant backpack. They’d have to move their eyes away from their phone screen to acknowledge your existence anyway.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

😑 That's what I get for trying to be helpful.

nice dicebag nerd

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

trap sprung

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I bought a lil coin purse from an unattended stall in a Kyoto alley for a hundred yen. It was a highly weeb way to carry my weebcoins.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Nanigans posted:

Basically, what do guys in Japan do with their yen coins?

spend them on cigs

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

All the cool kids have one of these:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I put my yen in my rear end

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I just keep my change in my wallet. Just manage your change and use it to round things off as you pay and you should never have more than a few coins.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

LimburgLimbo posted:

I just keep my change in my wallet. Just manage your change and use it to round things off as you pay and you should never have more than a few coins.

this, its extremely easy to do once you get into the habit

if you ever have more than 4 1, 10 or 100en coins, you have failed

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Despite doing my best to make use of change I still have a box of like a hundred coins left over from my trips. Mostly 1 yen.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
1 and 5 yen coins go to the donation boxes at temples imo

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

BB2K posted:

this, its extremely easy to do once you get into the habit

if you ever have more than 4 1, 10 or 100en coins, you have failed

Can't wait to fail so, so hard at this.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
One of the store owners in Harajuku took pity on me having a mountain of tiny yen, so he traded me the mountain for regular bills and 1000 coins. Nice guy.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Look at these losers who don't have a drawer at home filled with dumb coins from places you go that you'll never use and aren't worth enough so you'll "forget" them the next time you move.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Mr. Fix It posted:

All the cool kids have one of these:

I’ll be made fun of for this (as is correct) but that looks awesome.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
If you end up with too many, put them into a vending machine.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m considering skipping Asakusa in favor of going whole temple hog in Kyoto, just cause Asakusa is apparently super crowded. (We’ll prolly just walk by and look inside.) I do wanna visit smaller, more out-of-the-way shrines, though. What are some good lesser-known places that people know of in the Tokyo area?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Guy Axlerod posted:

If you end up with too many, put them into a vending machine.

No 1 or 5 coins :smith:

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Holding up the line at 7/11 trying to find the exact coins you need so you don't get even more change

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
That's why I spend all my change on snacks and alcohol at 3am when there are no lines :v:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

last time i was there 711 had little donation containers at the register they encouraged you to drop 1s and 5 into as well

though it was right after the awful floods and mudslides, so that might've been the entire reason for that

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
The speedy and respectful counting of change at checkout is a conbini past-time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Was always nice on the rare occasion to find a subway machine that let you recharge your Suica an arbitrary amount rather than one of the set ones, dump in all your change and go. I don't understand why most of the machines only accept specific amounts.