Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Flaggy posted:

I built a new record holder this week to go along with the stand I built 2 years ago. Its nice being able to flip through records.

Excuse me but i don’t see a line conditioner and dark field elevators to keep the cables off the floor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Am48Ejg6Kw

(Your setup is classy af)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

pwn posted:

Excuse me but i don’t see a line conditioner and dark field elevators to keep the cables off the floor

lmao at that turntable built specifically to play the Fast and the Furious OST

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

kingcobweb posted:

lmao at that turntable built specifically to play the Fast and the Furious OST

My favorite is when they demo their system... by recording it through a phone mic and uploading it to YouTube to get compressed as all gently caress.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

pwn posted:

holy poo poo lol

sporklift posted:

My favorite is when they demo their system... by recording it through a phone mic and uploading it to YouTube to get compressed as all gently caress.

Here is tens of thousands of dollars worth of gear and COPPER WIRING now listen to it on my youtube channel it's great!

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 24, 2019

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Aside from loling at how this guy fell for every audiophile scam there is, without fail these loving guys always have the most boring taste in music.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Here is tens of thousands of dollars worth of gear and COPPER WIRING now listen to it on my youtube channel it's great!

Hey listen, mother fucker! You think you've heard loving Whitesnake before? You haven't heard poo poo. Come to my house and you'll hear some loving Whitesnake FOR THE FIRST MOTHER loving TIME.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 24, 2019

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CPL593H posted:

Aside from loling at how this guy fell for every audiophile scam there is, without fail these loving guys always have the most boring taste in music.

:mrgw:

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Who has time to listen to different music when you're listening to different amps

edit: he has like ten different pieces of electronics that don't do a loving thing all because he's convinced it makes Safety Dance sound a little better

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 24, 2019

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
But his CD player has done everything he asked it to.

Mine, on the other hand, sucks and I need to replace it. I asked it to find me true love and all it does is just play CDs.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

kingcobweb posted:

Who has time to listen to different music when you're listening to different amps

edit: he has like ten different pieces of electronics that don't do a loving thing all because he's convinced it makes Safety Dance sound a little better
lol

CPL593H posted:

Hey listen, mother fucker! You think you've heard loving Whitesnake before? You haven't heard poo poo. Come to my house and you'll hear some loving Whitesnake FOR THE FIRST MOTHER loving TIME.
lol

I looked up those dark field elevators. Only $300 a dozen!

https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/shunyata-dark-field-elevators

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

lol
lol

It's a loving piece of foam. Holy poo poo. Another goon was saying we should put some speaker wire in lengths of garden hose and then spray paint it gold and sell it to audiophiles for absurd prices. I thought it was a plan too ridiculous to ever work. I'm probably wrong.

edit: "Product no longer available." Jesus Christ.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

pwn posted:

lol
lol

This is a solid lmao.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

quote:

The elevator is constructed from expensive, multiple layers of electrically conductive foam.

What kind of foam? Expensive foam.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

What kind of foam? Expensive foam.

Definitely not the poo poo you can get at Home Depot for three dollars a foot.

So before I only skimmed the video. But before I was talking about selling speaker wire in a spray painted garden hose to idiots like this and when I showed this to the person I originally discussed this with they pointed out that this guy might actually have that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The constant waterflow isolates your wires from stray atmospheric ions.

And once they've accepted that as canon, you swoop in with your product line of audiophile-grade fixtures and plumbing.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Do YOU want the vibrations from your garbage disposal disrupting your audiophile Journey LPs?? Ya that’s what I thought kid

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

sporklift posted:

That looks great did you follow a plan or just freestyle it?

I followed this plan here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/record-bin-from-single-4-x-8-sheet-of-plywood-plans.337891/ which I saw on reddit. I am still installing lights in the bottom section just waiting on LEDs to arrive. When going through plans I saw this and might do it after a few other projects.

kingcobweb posted:

That GYBE collection :c00l:

The whole setup looks amazing, super clean and useful, great job!

Thank you!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

Do YOU want the vibrations from your garbage disposal disrupting your audiophile Journey LPs?? Ya that’s what I thought kid

He has a 6500 dollar turntable with no dust cover and then just grabs the record like a chimp and gets his fingers all over the playing surface. That video is a masterpiece.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

sporklift posted:

How sturdy are they? I worry about the tab getting bent and thrashed with. That's why those plastic ones are nice.

About as sturdy as refined cardboard can get. I think as long as you're not purposefully getting rough with them they'll be alright. I've had mine for a few years now and an unopened pack sitting in a bag with my other sleeves and stuff that's held up fine.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Has anybody gotten shipping confirmation for Vault package 39? Starting to think it's not going to get out by the end of the quarter.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

GIVE ME MY SLEEP RECORDS JACK WHITE :argh:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Nail Rat posted:

Has anybody gotten shipping confirmation for Vault package 39? Starting to think it's not going to get out by the end of the quarter.

Nope, still sitting on label created for like three weeks now. I did pick up a real nice copy of Dopesmoker yesterday however, so there's that.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Jack White can huff my nuts. A statement I would still make even if I had all those Sleep records in my hands.

Like, how dare you start your career at a Johnny-Depp's-Scarves-and-Hats level of affectation, even Johnny Deep had to work his way up to that.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 25, 2019

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Scott Walker died.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Everyone throw on a copy of Side A of Nite Flights and then throw Side B in the garbage where it belongs.

Though you will still have to suffer the tonal whiplash of The Electrician into Death of Romance.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'm lame as hell and hadn't even heard of Scott Walker or The Walker Brothers until I watched the movie Bronson. I was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high and had to turn it off after the intro, it was so goddamn terrifying.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I checked the price on the cables that dude was talking about, it's $2000 for 6ft for what is probably just mogami in some home depot snake skin, I love idiots like this.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

CPL593H posted:

The wrong Scott Walker died.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Guess what’s getting a reissue, y’all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W65Tx4U0dZA

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Ballz posted:

Guess what’s getting a reissue, y’all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W65Tx4U0dZA

Without looking is it Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I want him to make that video again, but this time take out the loving trash and close the door to the bathroom.

Also, you think that's a condo or town home? That setup has the potential for a righteous wall of noise which I'm sure common wall neighbors definitely appreciate.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Paul ReiserFS posted:

I was gonna say Whipped Cream.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

hatelull posted:

I want him to make that video again, but this time take out the loving trash and close the door to the bathroom.

Also, you think that's a condo or town home? That setup has the potential for a righteous wall of noise which I'm sure common wall neighbors definitely appreciate.

He has a RESPONSE VIDEO TO THE HATERZ where he says he’s in a condo and he’s never had a complaint because of the $300 risers or whatever

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

I'm lame as hell and hadn't even heard of Scott Walker or The Walker Brothers until I watched the movie Bronson. I was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high and had to turn it off after the intro, it was so goddamn terrifying.

I became aware of him fiveish years ago when I saw the documentary about him (30th Century Man) on tv one day. Instantly I was like "I have to know more about this guy.". I've yet to see a copy of Nite Flights in the wild but oh man, the A side/B side drop off in quality there is rivaled only by Kevin Ayers/John Cale/Brian Eno/Nico -June 1, 1974 (guess which one of them got the entire B side of that record!).

Stalker!

kingcobweb posted:

He has a RESPONSE VIDEO TO THE HATERZ where he says he’s in a condo and he’s never had a complaint because of the $300 risers or whatever

More likely he's so insufferable it's easier to just listen to Night Ranger through the wall for ten minutes than actually have to talk to him. I would image he only listens to music in short bursts and then spends the rest of the night sliding around whatever that big electronic box is for optimal sound.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 25, 2019

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

kingcobweb posted:

Holy poo poo lol his hater video is even better. He just spews words of high end audio companies and the names of their cables over and over.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Holy poo poo lol his hater video is even better

People like that get extremely defensive when you tell them they're pissing away tons of money on a bunch of snake oil. I've gotten a whole bunch of guys over 50 all wound up on multiple occasions by saying that Gibson and other premium price guitars are a rip off because the finish/fingerboard material/capacitors have nothing to do with the sound and you could just throw the pickups from the expensive guitars into an Epiphone and no one would ever hear the difference. And without fail people lose their poo poo because they'd rather tell me how uncultured and poor I am than admit they wasted a couple thousand dollars on a sound they can have for a few hundred bucks. My favorite is when they say "It doesn't matter if the audience doesn't hear it!". I've also had one guy basically admit that the finish on a guitar has no bearing on the sound after not relenting in that point only to follow it up with "Even if you can't hear it, it makes a difference.". People like this are fragile nutcases who tie their entire identity into this garbage.

And then besides all that, audiophiles and guitar fanatics are always guys too old to even be able to hear these kind of nuances anyway. Especially if they've been playing in bar bands for decades and hosed up their hearing.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Jazzmasters look really cool though.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

I've yet to see a copy of Nite Flights in the wild but oh man, the A side/B side drop off in quality there is rivaled only by Kevin Ayers/John Cale/Brian Eno/Nico -June 1, 1974 (guess which one of them got the entire B side of that record!).
My favorite store Crossroads still probably has the OG copy on the wall for a cool hundo that they've had there for a couple years, but the move is probably picking up the Shutout EP, which has just the Scott Walker songs and is currently up on discogs for about $66 American.

I make do with my Bronson soundtrack for The Electrician, but man the title track to Nite Flights kills.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Paul ReiserFS posted:

It isn’t and you should definitely watch the video!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

Jazzmasters look really cool though.

Oh for sure. I like them too but I'd never pay what those cost because ultimately that price is for the style more than anything. People just won't loving admit that pickups and amp are mostly what defines the sound. Or the player for that matter. Like the guy with that ridiculous stereo they always have the most boring musical taste. A few years back Gibson started selling these "vintage style" capacitors that recreate that 50s Les Paul tone! They cost about 150 bucks a pair. Turns out they were just taking the same caps you could buy at any Radioshack for a dollar and sticking them in a fancy looking paper tube.

People are still buying them.

caligulamprey posted:

My favorite store Crossroads still probably has the OG copy on the wall for a cool hundo that they've had there for a couple years, but the move is probably picking up the Shutout EP, which has just the Scott Walker songs and is currently up on discogs for about $66 American.

I make do with my Bronson soundtrack for The Electrician, but man the title track to Nite Flights kills.

Last I checked Discogs that EP was going for more than the LP, so I didn't bother. I'm pretty sure Music on Vinyl reissued Nite Flights a few years ago and I just keep forgetting to track one down. Their records are usually a kinda sorta limited edition thing too so I'm guessing that reissue isn't cheap either, though certainly less than an old copy.

edit: The MOV reissue is actually pretty cheap but I have no idea about how it sounds and most people listing it on discogs are from outside the US so the shipping is probably the same as the cost of the disc.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
Camberwell Now arrived today. Picked em up based on this threads recommendation, I believe. Good stuff! Nice to have something more mellow in my collection of obnoxiously aggressive music, but still with sweet rear end drumming.

For anyone that missed it: https://lightintheattic.net/artists/1560-camberwell-now Looks like they're still on sale too.