Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

DoctorGonzo posted:

Vampire is a better game than everithing bw has ever made except maybe kotor I

Bloodlines was a buggy broken incredible mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

just

just loving make the boss loot always be at least masterworks

how is this hard to understand

what the gently caress

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

PederP posted:

As alluring as that sounds, it is somewhat problematic for a game that needs to load and setup a ton of resources and entities/gamelogic. If you take a look at the cpu/memory/drive usage while loading (depending on your hardware) you will see it maxes out most, if not all of these. Keeping a transition scene going at acceptable FPS is going to slow down loading - and a lot on the lower end machines. Even a small, non-interactive scene is going to come with a hefty performance tax.

Would players accept much slower loading screens just to have a transition that looks nice?

Open world streaming technology is not a trivial technology when working with cutting-edge graphics….

This would be a much more persuasive defense of Anthem if Division 2 wasn’t out and studiously never giving you a loading screen unless you fast travel. Obviously it’s a design choice and a lot of loading in Div 2 is hidden behind running down corridors, or through relatively quiet areas but it was a great priority to take and makes that game feel like a real world.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

RottenK posted:

just

just loving make the boss loot always be at least masterworks

how is this hard to understand

what the gently caress

iirc, they did that, but in doing so it made sure they'd never roll Legendary

they're that loving stupid

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
wrong thread, obviously

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 24, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

iirc, they did that, but in doing so it made sure they'd never roll Legendary

they're that loving stupid

Yeah, you get 1-3 guaranteed Masterworks for each respective level of Grandmaster, but the other three items the boss drops are all locked to Epic for... reasons?

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Zzulu posted:

And its story is still more interactive and compelling than the poo poo Bioware has been putting out lately.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Troika/obsidian was always the best half of black isle

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tetrabor posted:

And its story is still more interactive and compelling than the poo poo Bioware has been putting ever

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

PederP posted:

As alluring as that sounds, it is somewhat problematic for a game that needs to load and setup a ton of resources and entities/gamelogic. If you take a look at the cpu/memory/drive usage while loading (depending on your hardware) you will see it maxes out most, if not all of these. Keeping a transition scene going at acceptable FPS is going to slow down loading - and a lot on the lower end machines. Even a small, non-interactive scene is going to come with a hefty performance tax.

That doesn't sound like what I'm talking about at all. What I'm saying is "I hope to hell you aren't sitting there looking for other players to join in on the mission I just started instead of loading in the level data, as after 16 hours of playing I've never had another player show up anyway."

And I've just finished a mission to visit some tombs and there's lengthy loading through a transition for a single room on the other side of the door, and you have to walk straight back out again after reading 2 lines of text.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

nerdz posted:

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Gromit posted:

That doesn't sound like what I'm talking about at all. What I'm saying is "I hope to hell you aren't sitting there looking for other players to join in on the mission I just started instead of loading in the level data, as after 16 hours of playing I've never had another player show up anyway."

And I've just finished a mission to visit some tombs and there's lengthy loading through a transition for a single room on the other side of the door, and you have to walk straight back out again after reading 2 lines of text.

Sorry I somehow managed to quote a complete different post(er) than I intended :D I was responding to the idea someone put forward of showing a pseudo-cutscene in place of loading screens.

But as for you and others asserting that Bioware did an unusually poor job at the loading: I agree - I am not defending them. They obviously failed hard at designing things to minimize loading, or to enable corridor/elevator streaming.

My point was merely that there are valid technical and design challenges when it comes to the loading screen problem. But as they've failed on so many aspects of game design with Anthem, I am not surprised that they dropped the ball on this too - to an embarrassing degree, considering they were essentially bragging about having fixed this with the way the E3 video is very explicit about the pseudo-cutscene transition.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Zzulu posted:

It was, and the plot had big holes

It eventually polished up real good

nerdz posted:

Were those guys not post Black Isle?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah if the game has something i can forgive unpolished gameplay

alpha protocol is also one of my favorite games ever

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Nebakenezzer posted:

Were those guys not post Black Isle?

IIRC, Black Isle gradually split a few ways; some guys made Troika before Black Isle shut down, and then after Black Isle shut down most of that team formed Obsidian (which then picked up a bunch of Troika guys after Troika shut down. Bioware was actually a developer when Black Isle was around; Black Isle published Baldur's Gate. I think some Black Isle people joined Bioware later, but I can't find any sources for that. It might just be a misconception.

Saying Black Isle split into Bioware and Obsidian sounds nice and poetic, however.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
The tutorial NPC in bloodlines has more charisma and better lines than all anthem NPCs combined.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
A new game set in the ruins of Washington D.C. is a best-in-class shooter that puts 'Anthem' to shame

quote:

Why is it so much better than "Anthem"?

In nearly every mission I played in "Anthem," I did the same thing: Fly to an objective marker and shoot everything until the mission was complete. Sometimes I had to collect a set number of objects, or solve a simple puzzle, but it was almost always some variation on that formula.

In the first major story mission in "The Division 2," I went on a hostage rescue mission that involved a multi-stage shootout with enemies that took cover and flanked me, several major setpiece moments that fundamentally altered the environment, and a co-op partner who did her fair share of work.

After I finished the mission, I watched a cutscene between two relatively believable characters that helped establish the game's plot.

There is a massive difference between the two games, despite being direct competitors in the same relatively small genre of loot shooters. It's genuinely staggering how incomplete "Anthem" feels in comparison to "The Division 2," right from the start.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its not fair to anthem they scraped whatever the gently caress they could salvage from whatever the gently caress they were working on, division2 is a complete project

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Its a game Bioware/EA released, marketed, and asked people to pay money for. Anthem deserves all the poo poo it is getting.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Spanish streamer mourn Anthem dead
https://clips.twitch.tv/EnchantingSpinelessStarEleGiggle

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RottenK posted:

wait the Scars are supposed to be piles of bugs in suits?

lol i thought they're just weirdo humans/humanoid aliens who scavenge poo poo

ffs bioware way to waste an idea

They're the Vex from Destiny* except with all the interesting ideas removed and completely turned into generic shootman enemies.

*the vex from destiny look like their robots because their "ships" being piloted by a container of intelligent plankton. bungie actually integrated the lore so it effects how they behave with their bipedal units coming across as barely understanding the whole "walking" thing while their floating units look like sealife and move much more naturally

SickZip fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 25, 2019

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

lmao

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

There's this whole aspect of the Destiny story where the Hive have learned to use a form of worship as a kind of catalyst to enable access to imbue creatures and weapons with extreme power, and along the way they encountered the Vex. The Vex, basically a super-hive-mind aided by computers, eventually learned to imitate this 'worship' to gain power for themselves.

There's plenty more, too - the Vex seem to have access to both their distant past and distant future and are attempting to remake the universe into entirely vex-space, but for some unknown reason they don't have the ability to easily rewrite the past. You'd think time travel would be a devastating weapon but either the Vex aren't capable of using it to that extent or the time travel they can perform has some limitations. Instead the Vex spend most of their energy attempting to simulate possible future outcomes, to the point where their some of their simulations are effectively indistinguishable from reality.

That's not even going into the Hive and the sword logic and ascendant worlds and all the new crazy poo poo coming out about the Nine. There's a whole lot of interesting lore to Destiny. I don't even play it anymore, but I follow the story because it's got some really cool ideas.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The time travelling robots invading Space Hell and losing to Ultra Satan but not before learning how to worship Satan's gods for more power is the premise behind the newest zone in Destiny 2 also - after the player kills Ultra Satan the robot leader he enslaved helped trap a city in a time loop predicated largely on the fact you're going to keep shooting the thing anchoring it in time in the face over and over for prizes. It's also (maybe) trying to reach out to you to get you to save it from being Ultra Satan's Sister's slave.

Ultra Satan's Sister appears to be the next big evil you're going to shoot eventually and her gimmick seems to be that she gets stronger every time Reddit gets a lore fact about her wrong.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Wouldn’t the Forsaken be better analogies to the Scar?

Both are scavengers that have a weird hierarchy and use stolen tech.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Let's not forget that the "good guys" in destiny - the player characters, "Guardians" - are all formerly dead humans that have little resurrection machines that travel with them. The "Traveler" - the 'light god' - uses the reanimated dead to fight an endless war with the other forces in the game - some of them the forces of 'darkness,' others, like the Cabal, just opportunists who can't resurrect like you can.

You're told you are a creature of the light, but you do very little other than move from place to place and kill things with machine guns. You have the ability to resurrect yourself so you can keep killing. There's something disconcerting about the whole thing and to the games credit, in various ways, it hints that something's really wrong.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Destiny is full of clever ideas, and it does a fantastic job of integrating lore in a manner which actually supports the gameplay mechanics.

In most games, such as Division or Anthem, player death breaks the illusion. Your agent or freelancer eats poo poo and that's it, in those game worlds you die and you're dead. Except it's a game so you just respawn like nothing happened. We're so used to this in games that it largely goes without much conscious thought, but subconsciously it breaks the internal consistency of the experience and reinforces that you are playing an abstracted game.

In Destiny the player characters, Guardians, are primarily defined by their being previously dead people resurrected by a little Ghost buddy, who can and does resurrect them on the regular. Face dragging your way through difficult content isn't just a gameplay tactic, it's canon: Guardians do that. Blasting your jet bike off a cliff with a sick jump to your death, running into a room packed with enemies and suicide bombing them, Guardians shooting eachother to death in PvP, falling stupidly off ledges, all that poo poo is canon. Destiny's respawn mechanics work with the lore to create a cohesive experience in which dying rarely spikes that feeling of failure most games give when they announce you hosed up and died. Instead, dying is an integrated part of the experience and getting splattered against a wall from an enemy throwing you is generally more amusing than frustrating.

Destiny is an extremely clever game.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ashpanash posted:

Let's not forget that the "good guys" in destiny - the player characters, "Guardians" - are all formerly dead humans that have little resurrection machines that travel with them. The "Traveler" - the 'light god' - uses the reanimated dead to fight an endless war with the other forces in the game - some of them the forces of 'darkness,' others, like the Cabal, just opportunists who can't resurrect like you can.

You're told you are a creature of the light, but you do very little other than move from place to place and kill things with machine guns. You have the ability to resurrect yourself so you can keep killing. There's something disconcerting about the whole thing and to the games credit, in various ways, it hints that something's really wrong.

I don't think there's a way to read the backstory of the Fallen and not conclude that the Traveler is real hosed up and completely inhumane in its actions.

I forget what faction it is in the lore that views the Traveler as just using lesser races as pawns in its war with the Darkness but I don't see how they aren't right.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Wouldn’t the Forsaken be better analogies to the Scar?

Both are scavengers that have a weird hierarchy and use stolen tech.

The question here is more about anatomy. A Scar is literally a suit full of bugs that for some reason is indistinguishable from actual bum humans except for liking more spiky decoration and the color of rust. Also for some reason the important bugs all go to the helmet because hitting the helmet does extra damage. Contrast this to the vex who are weird and clunky and the weak point is the power core.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hra Mormo posted:

The question here is more about anatomy. A Scar is literally a suit full of bugs that for some reason is indistinguishable from actual bum humans except for liking more spiky decoration and the color of rust. Also for some reason the important bugs all go to the helmet because hitting the helmet does extra damage. Contrast this to the vex who are weird and clunky and the weak point is the power core.

The weak point in the body isn't the power core, its the crew compartment. That weird glowing liquid that spills out when you shoot it is the actual Vex.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2019/03/25/anthems-new-stronghold-caches-wont-contain-armour

lol

https://twitter.com/UNTDrew/status/1109491752493301760

lmao

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

That thread is just :discourse:

“Was this necessary fella?” asks the poor BioWare employee whose fee-fees are hurt

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

New in the cosmetic shop this week: A legendary invisible skin that does nothing, called The Cost of Transparency.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Anthem: Ben Irving and the Cloak of Transparency

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Showing off cosmetic options pre-release and then never implementing them in the actual game must be a directive from way up high in EA, DICE is doing the same thing with BF5. That game had basic customization items in the pre-release public betas that still aren't available

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Wheeee posted:

Destiny is full of clever ideas, and it does a fantastic job of integrating lore in a manner which actually supports the gameplay mechanics.

<snipped observation on clever respawn lore / mechanics consistency>

Destiny is an extremely clever game.

Yeah, when I play Warframe and Destiny, I get an immediate feeling that these were made by people who cared. Someone had a story to tell, and it's a video game so I am not too bothered if it's a stupid or weird story. If it entertains and bedazzles me, giving me a good narrative framework to enjoy the actual gameplay, I'm happy.

Anthem feels like it just wants to be cool. Bioware somehow turned into the game design equivalent of fusing Joss Whedon, Michael Bay and Uwe Boll. Something is so incredibly off about the mix of this chimera of great potential, high production values, insane design decisions and terrible execution.

Combined with the massive disconnect between what was hyped and what was delivered, it doesn't really matter as much as it should if the game makes whatever billion dollars or not. EA already had a bad reputation, but they've somehow managed to let Bioware incinerate their brand value and studio reputation.

I'm seeing so many hard-core fans puzzled and just giving up on the game - rather than going the usual route of angry and betrayed. I will be disappointed if any major release in 2019 tops Anthem in being weirdly disappointing and out-of-touch.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

PederP posted:

Yeah, when I play Warframe and Destiny, I get an immediate feeling that these were made by people who cared. Someone had a story to tell, and it's a video game so I am not too bothered if it's a stupid or weird story. If it entertains and bedazzles me, giving me a good narrative framework to enjoy the actual gameplay, I'm happy.

Anthem feels like it just wants to be cool. Bioware somehow turned into the game design equivalent of fusing Joss Whedon, Michael Bay and Uwe Boll. Something is so incredibly off about the mix of this chimera of great potential, high production values, insane design decisions and terrible execution.

Combined with the massive disconnect between what was hyped and what was delivered, it doesn't really matter as much as it should if the game makes whatever billion dollars or not. EA already had a bad reputation, but they've somehow managed to let Bioware incinerate their brand value and studio reputation.

I'm seeing so many hard-core fans puzzled and just giving up on the game - rather than going the usual route of angry and betrayed. I will be disappointed if any major release in 2019 tops Anthem in being weirdly disappointing and out-of-touch.

Modern BioWare makes cargo cult games

Before Anthem, Andromeda is the perfect example because it seems perplexed as to why dressing everything up like Mass Effect doesn't result in a good game

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Dragon Age 4, featuring a gruff middle aged badass party member with white hair named Gerald.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wheeee posted:

Dragon Age 4, featuring a gruff middle aged badass party member with white hair named Gerald.

And Ciri who gets annoyed by how stupid your setting is.

"Thedas? The dragon age setting? Are you serious. Ok wheres that portal"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
the closest a button has even been to awesome