Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
One more for today -

Man, every time I upload one of these guys I notice something then go back and tinker, so each one has probably been reuploaded at least 3 times. I'm trying to make figures that would be useful as printable models in a DnD campaign, so these are designed with what DMs typically throw at their players in mind. Anything spring to mind in terms of orcs that aren't represented here?

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

These are very cool! I would suggest pushing the colours a little further to get more contrast. There are also lots of stray pixels that could be cleaned up and clustered. Nothing life or death. Keep going!

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Scut posted:

These are very cool! I would suggest pushing the colours a little further to get more contrast. There are also lots of stray pixels that could be cleaned up and clustered. Nothing life or death. Keep going!

I've found a few of those stray pixels! Every other day or so I'll see something about one of them that I never noticed but HAS to be changed immediately. Anyway, here's a doggeboi.

Edit - Decided I didn't like the Logan hair and added a little more chain. I'm going to redo his leg, don't like it much. Also, bangboi and shootboi.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 4, 2019

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Someone in the Making Games Megathread suggested I drag my poo poo over here. Here's what I was originally working on, which is a big stupid flower what chases you:

this is what I've done since then, changing the look of the veins, moving the upper right petal back a bit and toning down some of the highlights:

I don't need it to be perfect (god knows it would stand out from the rest of my sprite work if it was), but I do feel like the petals need something and I can't decide what. I always end up with a lot of space on bigger sprites and it always drives me crazy.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Four petals looks a bit odd, maybe some smaller petals on the interior to pad it out?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Taking a break from Orcs, time for Undead!

Edit - A few more - still tweaking, of course. The first two didn't feel sufficiently 'undead', so I took #2 and split him into chunks, and grew 3 new zoms.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 8, 2019

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
They like to party.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
Canyon background for a game I'm making.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Whoa, how many layers of parallax is that?

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:

Scut posted:

Whoa, how many layers of parallax is that?

10 of those being the parallaxing desert surface.

For contrast, here's another level background with only 5 layers.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Those orcs and backgrounds are sweet.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Edit - I'm just gonna throw aaalllll the ones I've made so far up here, so I can see 'em all in one place without constantly reposting in the thread.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 27, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I want to make pixel art but, after reading all of this thread, I've instead started doing figure and object sketches, five minutes per sketch, every day. It seems like the "learn art" thread has been archived, so if it's ok I'll post some pictures here for suggestions and feedback.

Also, those sprites are awesome McKilligan; they'd be amazing for something like Battle Brothers.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 22, 2019

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Did a couple of topdown versions of platformers for no real reason than boredom.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Coldrice posted:

Did a couple of topdown versions of platformers for no real reason than boredom.

Those are dope! I always love seeing rotations, kinda wish those were playable in some form.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Jack B Nimble posted:

I want to make pixel art but, after reading all of this thread, I've instead started doing figure and object sketches, five minutes per sketch, every day. It seems like the "learn art" thread has been archived, so if it's ok I'll post some pictures here for suggestions and feedback.
:justpost:

Hell yeah!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's so true what I read earlier, that using smaller characters and a limited palate can be an excellent way to focus your work, beacaus it's still surprising to me how much "character" a good sprite packs into a few pixels; that little bobbing enemy in the second image is tiny, but he's also cute! And the way the helmet hangs a moment after he drops down is a nice touch.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 25, 2019

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Coldrice posted:

Now I kinda wanna see a chunky Zelda 1-style Samus.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I was really sick yesterday so I had a heap of time today with a tablet alone

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Three more! Going for a RE4/medieval village vibe.

Edit - tweaked some small details, left them up here so I could compare with old versions.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 29, 2019

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

These would work great in an RPG that has abstracted battles where you see a portrait of the enemy. Like the old Wasteland from the 80s.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Decided to go a bit bigger this time.

Edit - didn't like the head, and he needed a boss.

Double Edit - Banshee, Hag, Dread Knight, Beholden

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 12, 2019

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Amazing work

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Your standard beholder isn't nearly 'cosmic horror' enough, so I threw anatomy to the wind. Anyway, a creature that spawns by having real bad nightmares shouldn't be concerned with things like having a consistent physiology anyways.

Edit - Movin' on to banditry. I miiiiiight have taken a lot of inspiration from a particular comic. Having some trouble nailing down a palette though. Going to continue to tweak a lot.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 25, 2019

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

McKilligan posted:

Your standard beholder isn't nearly 'cosmic horror' enough, so I threw anatomy to the wind. Anyway, a creature that spawns by having real bad nightmares shouldn't be concerned with things like having a consistent physiology anyways.

Thats horrible, i love it

Bananachin
May 1, 2010

Would you be ok with a cross stitcher like myself rendering this in embroidery?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

I drew a roguelike sprite of every mech in Brigador.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Scut posted:

I drew a roguelike sprite of every mech in Brigador.

Whelp, thanks a lot, guess I just bought Brigador!

Also, my most recent dudes. I think I'll make a 'legally distinct' version of the second one later on.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 26, 2019

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Do Griffith!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

McKilligan posted:

Whelp, thanks a lot, guess I just bought Brigador!

Also, my most recent dudes. I think I'll make a 'legally distinct' version of the second one later on.

It's literally the best mech game for PC.

I love this set of fantasy figures you are making. I'd request you post them at 2x for better readability on screen. Also they would make great paper miniatures with some black padding to the outside edges.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Shoehead posted:

Do Griffith!

Bam! He'll also be due for a visit from the legal distinction fairy later on.

Scut posted:

Make 'em bigger

So, I didn't like this guy as a whole, but I did like a lot of his components. So now he's two guys!
=

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 30, 2019

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Bananachin posted:

sure!

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Bananachin posted:

If it helps you, I wrote a script in Python to convert pixel art images into cross-stitch patterns: https://github.com/joyeusenoelle/stitchify/

(You'll probably want to make the background transparent, so the script knows to ignore it.)

For this image, it turns

into

I haven't yet matched hex colors to floss colors, but the script includes stitch counts and divisions every 10 stitches to help you keep your place (originating from the center, not the edges).

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 3, 2019

Bananachin
May 1, 2010
Cheers! I've got about twelve projects on the go but will make sure to share this one here once I've completed it.

I use blendthreads to convert pixel art to cross stitch patterns -it's usually pretty good with converting to DMC threads but given the particular shades of green on exmarx's pirce, I may just eyeball it from my stash.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Besesoth posted:

If it helps you, I wrote a script in Python to convert pixel art images into cross-stitch patterns: https://github.com/joyeusenoelle/stitchify/

into

That's cool!

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Going back to Undead - some basic skellies were missing.

Just for kicks threw everything into one big 'ol undead horde

And the orcs!

And the humies

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 18, 2019

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Dang, thread's been quiet lately. Anyhoo, on to bugs!
Edit- am stuck in the bug factory send help. Found my way into the bear hybrid division, tho.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 29, 2019

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Hey thread, I've been trying to make a bit more of a serious effort at practicing pixel art and actually posting it somewhere online, so here's some work I've done recently, starting with some pixel_dailies.

I'm posting a small Bart and also a small Homer.

And finally, these aren't technically pixel art but hexels are close enough, right?

Like I said, I'm trying to get better at working on and sharing my art more consistently, so if any of you folks do twitter I'm at @moreofagoofus and I'd very much appreciate a like or retweet or follow!

Edit: also if anyone knows how to keep twitter from turning my gifs into rear end I'm all ears

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 19, 2019

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I don't know if it supports gifs but I like the Lospec twitter uploader.

https://lospec.com/pixel-art-uploader/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo how have I never seen this thread by now!? You people are all crazy talented.

Anyways I'm just popping in to say we have an art version of the Thunderdome now. Pixel art is a 100% valid medium to compete with so please check it out if that sounds interesting to you.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890426

OK, I'm done. Carry on.