Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Volte posted:

A good chunk of the minigames in Super Mario Party rely on HD rumble so releasing a budget version of the console that can't even play all the minigames in their flagship casual party game seems highly dubious to me.

This is what made me immediately dubious about this article. I just played through my first game of Super Mario Party yesterday and what stuck out to me was how many vibration-dependent games there were. Entire squares on the game board are rumble-only games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Volte posted:

A good chunk of the minigames in Super Mario Party rely on HD rumble so releasing a budget version of the console that can't even play all the minigames in their flagship casual party game seems highly dubious to me.

Besides, how much money would removing the rumblers even save? If anything it would mean they have more types of controllers to manufacture which would probably just cost them more in the end.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Bud I'm still waiting for the Revolution

Still waiting on Dolphin myself

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Gutcruncher posted:

Besides, how much money would removing the rumblers even save? If anything it would mean they have more types of controllers to manufacture which would probably just cost them more in the end.

If the lower-cost option is pitched as a 3DS replacement they could just do a model with the controllers permanently attached

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
A handheld-only Switch is kind of an oxymoron considering the name, logo, and marketing campaign are based entirely around the concept of switching between docked and handheld. I guess they could release a newly named handheld line that is compatible with (most) Switch games. A Nintendo Game Gear, if you will.

Volte fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 25, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nintendo Fixed.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Agreed that 8 is fine so we don't necessarily need a 9 already but I would be all over the announcement of another big pack of paid DLC at E3.

MK8D is good, but please don’t make us weight another generation for 9.

morestuff posted:

If the lower-cost option is pitched as a 3DS replacement they could just do a model with the controllers permanently attached

What games would not be playable if they decided to do that? Super Mario Party and 1-2 Switch? I can’t think of any other games that depend on detaching the Joy Cons.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

morestuff posted:

The 3DS replacement already exists. It's called the Switch.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Volte posted:

A handheld-only Switch is kind of an oxymoron considering the name, logo, and marketing campaign are based entirely around the concept of switching between docked and handheld. I guess they could release a newly named handheld line that is compatible with (most) Switch games. A Nintendo Game Gear, if you will.

I don't think the company behind the 3DS/3DS XL/2DS/New Nintendo 3DS/New Nintendo 3DS XL/New Nintendo 2DS XL family is going to let logical branding get in the way of a salable idea

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

A dockless, fixed Joycon Switch (ie, a worse Vita) would be all but an admission that the Switch was a failure imo, considering what a regression that would be.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

pixaal posted:

Still waiting on Dolphin myself

I'm excited for Project Reality

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Astro7x posted:

What games would not be playable if they decided to do that? Super Mario Party and 1-2 Switch? I can’t think of any other games that depend on detaching the Joy Cons.
The 400 games that have some form of local co-op.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SettingSun posted:

A dockless, fixed Joycon Switch (ie, a worse Vita) would be all but an admission that the Switch was a failure imo, considering what a regression that would be.

It would be a better Vita because the Switch actually has games

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Andrast posted:

It would be a better Vita because the Switch actually has games

You got me there. Sign me up for the Switch Zoe.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

American McGay posted:

The 400 games that have some form of local co-op.

That doesn’t mean the games are unplayable in single player mode.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The current switch will be the new “cheap” model and will be sold without a dock. The new Pro Switch will have the dock and better hardware or whatever new poo poo they throw.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Nintendo also has a habit of releasing hardware revisions which assume the person buying it already has the previous version, e.g. New 3DS with no charger included. They could release a non-detachable version with the assumption that anyone who buys it also has joycons lying around to sync with it if they want to co-op.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Imagined posted:

Nintendo also has a habit of releasing hardware revisions which assume the person buying it already has the previous version, e.g. New 3DS with no charger included. They could release a non-detachable version with the assumption that anyone who buys it also has joycons lying around to sync with it if they want to co-op.

They'd probably end up ahead money-wise, anyway. Parents buy the cheapest option, kid screams until they spend the extra $150 on a dock + extra controllers

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Yeah would have been helpful against those spiky guys that float at you especially in the boss fight where you whip them into a guy's mouth.

What was your shortcut setup? I always had the dash move on Zr and the shoot through walls one on Zl with the tank. On ground I also had the dash counter on Zr and the whip on Zl.

Tank had ZL to the dash and ZR to the shockwave thingy.

On ground I had the whip on ZL and the spread shot type on ZR.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I certainly believe that Nintendo is researching/prototyping different possible hardware revisions but there is zero chance there will be two new versions out this summer.

E: I could see the current system released without a dock though, timed to come out with Pokémon

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 25, 2019

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Look, all I wanna know is when do we get the real upgrade with the dock revision.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually kind of would like a pocket sized switch, like psp/vita sized because the switch is just big enough that it's inconvenient to travel with without a backpack or laptop bag

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The "New Switch" is a Switch.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
A pocket-sized Switch would require a much higher density screen, so I'm guessing that would put the cost up significantly, at least out of the "budget" range.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Reggie comes out of retirement just to say "one last thing" and pull a tiny Switch out of his pockets to contrast it with his huge meaty paw

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Aren't the joycons tiny enough?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
budget version is just joycon that sync with your phone

honestly a little digital only nindy machine would p pretty cool. There are tons of non-system-taxing indy games on Switch

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A Switch, but the size of a GBA Micro

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SettingSun posted:

since the batteries aren't easily removable, this is the inevitable fate of all Switches once they can't hold a charge better than 30 minutes. I'd pay for a "pro" revision with a more removable battery like the WiiU controller had, or some kind of miniature attachment battery. Actually I bet some kind of Nyko thing exists for that already.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Bloop posted:

honestly a little digital only nindy machine would p pretty cool. There are tons of non-system-taxing indy games on Switch

Even if they don't go to this extreme it's weird/dumb that Nintendo doesn't put out more small-scale games to fill the gap between the big releases. Hopefully snuffing out the 3DS will help

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Bought a Switch on Friday. On Monday find out a new model is being announced. Balls.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

So, not sure if this is the right place for this, but of there are any tinkerers in this thread:

I want to embed a switch into the shell of a WiiU Gamepad. Shells are readily available on eBay and there should be enough room to get the switch and the dock pcb inside. What I'd like to do is use the buttons / sticks from the gamepad as well. I can cannibalize the PCB from a wired controller to process inputs, it's getting signal from the WiiU button placement to the PCB that's going to be difficult. Does anyone have any experience doing something like this? Is dealing with the printed traces going to be prohibitively difficult?

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

mandatory lesbian posted:

Bud I'm still waiting for the Revolution

I talked up all the Revolution rumors to my friends in school and then got trolled mercilessly for like an hour when the Wii name was finally revealed. I imagine it would've been worse with the Wii U if I'd still been friends with them.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

fishing with the fam posted:

Bought a Switch on Friday. On Monday find out a new model is being announced. Balls.
Gaming "news" online is 96% people just taking conjecture and reporting it as "rumors" from "sources". There's 100 different things that don't make sense about the WSJ report. Nintendo will assuredly release a refreshed Switch version sometime in the future, but no one knows what that actually means or if it will matter at all.

Game on friend.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/CartridgeGames/status/1110211878641389568?s=19

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean, yeah, when you get a dose of the good poo poo you try to find that dealer

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I mean what about a slightly smaller fixed joycon switch that still docks? It would still be a switch that just leans slightly more to the portable side.

It’s probably all bull but I like my switch just fine how it is anyways. Being able to replace the moving parts on a portable console is cool.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Well, at least we got a month or two break from rampant Switch revision speculation based on an article with no evidence

Back to the insane presumption that this is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

that's really cool

hopefully aonuma and miyamoto get addicted to virtual console soon