Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah preppers, despite generally being severely overweight and drinking/smoking too much, tend to worry a lot about their eyesight and hearing.

The guy in the video definitely lost a good 50% of his hearing in that ear and 25% in the other.

He should consider himself lucky as a typical prepper would have been shot by their friend. Severe hearing loss is the lesser of two idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Devian666 posted:

He should consider himself lucky as a typical prepper would have been shot by their friend. Severe hearing loss is the lesser of two idiots.

Prepping that involves spending tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars constructing a compound and clearing fields of fire for when the "urban" types show up looking for a handout seems the height of BWM. Even putting aside the exceedingly small chance you'll ever need it, has there ever been a time in modern history when the government collapsed or a huge natural disaster happened where a small family with no local connections could have held on to years worth of food and supplies?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Pretty much no. That Argentine collapse book that preppers love to cite boils down to: work together with your neighbors, you aren’t going to make it alone in the countryside without a lot of help.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Which makes preppers even more hilarious, since the fact that you'd have to rely on :ohdear: other people :ohdear: for security flies in the face of everything these mouthbreathing tin foil hats believe.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
For most disasters more than 10-14 days of food and water is unnecessary. Usually some sort of water and food deliveries can be organised within 3 days by whatever civil emergency services or in conjunction with private companies. Worst case being a week or two if you are cut off from where ever supplies are being delivered. I've seen ones were they have 10 years of food stored. It's just a waste of money having too much with too much spent on massive storage and items, especially if your house becomes unsafe or unlivable after whatever disaster.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Did anyone else grow up in a Mormon household? We never had less than a 3 month supply of food and water, with a goal of one year. It's not for doomsday preparation so much as the ability to take care of every other family in the neighborhood in case of emergency

Mormons are pretty chill other than the church service part

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Very different goals when you are thinking about other people, compared with preppers who are entirely selfish.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Preppers are not prepping for disasters but for the apocalypse.

After which they'll be Bad With Caps

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The elders of the Mormon church have said all families are responsible for storing 1 year of food and water at all times. Of course most don't, but it's on their minds.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Doc Hawkins posted:

The elders of the Mormon church have said all families are responsible for storing 1 year of food and water at all times. Of course most don't, but it's on their minds.

In the show Big Love they have a passing shot of their basement and it's got shelves full of food. It's not even something they mention or related at all to the plot, but was a nice touch of realism. Also it shows Morman's love for MLM so really the show is practically a documentary.

But yeah, it's always good to keep a couple of weeks worth of food and some way to purify water. But trying to store enough food to last an apocalypse just means you're going to die alone a few months after everyone else has died.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Krispy Wafer posted:

ome way to purify water.

This is the big one. Dehydration will get you way before malnutrition.

Even just a few bottles of water can be enough to keep you from getting dysentery while you wait for the national guard to pull your rear end out of the flood waters or whatever.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I keep 55 gallons of potable water in my closet at all times and I bet most of you do too.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I keep 55 gallons of potable water in my closet at all times and I bet most of you do too.

40 :negative:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

1.6 gallons in my apartment...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Does the water in my hot water tank count?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Congrats on your legionairres disease.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

StormDrain posted:

Congrats on your legionairres disease.

If you're British I guess.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
You only get legionnaires if you choke on the water like a dingus. It increases risk sure, but drinking out of the water heater is smarter than dying.

Also once the temperature drops below 74, the chlorine is effective at limiting its growth!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm dumb and don't own a house. Is this a reference to your water heater?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You only get legionnaires if you choke on the water like a dingus. It increases risk sure, but drinking out of the water heater is smarter than dying.

Also once the temperature drops below 74, the chlorine is effective at limiting its growth!
Ah there it is.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hoodwinker posted:

I'm dumb and don't own a house. Is this a reference to your water heater?

TraderStav posted:

Does the water in my hot water tank count?

Yes sir 2x

Even apartments typically have hot water... Midrise/high rise buildings are more likely to have huge central water heaters than in-unit tanks, so just work closely with whomever becomes warlord of your fiefdom and get your hands on some of it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Your hot water tank is going to go from <way too hot for legionnaires> to <too cold for legionnaires> in a few hours. There's basically no risk.

There's also probably a couple gallons in the tank of your toilet. Don't go "ewww", that's clean tap water, boil it if you feel you must.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Leperflesh posted:

Your hot water tank is going to go from <way too hot for legionnaires> to <too cold for legionnaires> in a few hours. There's basically no risk.

There's also probably a couple gallons in the tank of your toilet. Don't go "ewww", that's clean tap water, boil it if you feel you must.

It certainly is clean before it enters the bowl... I certainly wouldn't call it clean afterwards though unless you clean your toilet bowl fastidiously. The tank water could be used as well potentially... but I've never seen a tank of a toilet I would want to drink out of.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lol he was specifically talking about the tank. Never drink out of the bowl.

The CDC recommends drinking out of the water heater and the toilet tank, outright.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lol he was specifically talking about the tank. Never drink out of the bowl.

The CDC recommends drinking out of the water heater and the toilet tank, outright.

I'm a dummy and totally read "tank" as "bowl" in his post lmao; ya in a pinch I would probably be ok with the tank even though mine looks nasty... most likely just mineral deposits tho.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

TraderStav posted:

Does the water in my hot watertoilet tank count?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

im gonna buy a gun and rob you of your water

GWW - good with water :mrgw:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wonder how much water you could buy, for the cost of one gun

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

not as much as you can steal

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Did anyone else grow up in a Mormon household? We never had less than a 3 month supply of food and water, with a goal of one year. It's not for doomsday preparation so much as the ability to take care of every other family in the neighborhood in case of emergency

Mormons are pretty chill other than the church service part

Yeah, we had a year supply growing up and parents made it clear that it was to feed others as well if something happens. Some of the preppers ignore that. Not long ago one of the apostles of the church made it blatantly clear that the counsel is to store food and not ammo but it seems anything said to that type goes in one ear and out the other.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It is pretty cheap to get 2 weeks of dehydrated food and a water filter/life straw/uv pen. Get a cheap stove and fuel for a couple weeks and you are set. It all can fit in a small box.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I always wonder how many of the crazy preppers actually cycle through their supplies. Do they really eat that poo poo or are they just throwing our their pallet worth of food every 5 years and constantly re-buying it?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Based on a typical preppers weight I assume they cycle through their 5 years of food about every 6 months.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sirotan posted:

I always wonder how many of the crazy preppers actually cycle through their supplies. Do they really eat that poo poo or are they just throwing our their pallet worth of food every 5 years and constantly re-buying it?

If it's the kind of poo poo I've seen advertised for peppers they probably are throwing out that disgusting poo poo. And for the ones doing the "stock up on dry beans, etc" I'd also bet that most of them are on diets that are fundamentally incompatible with what they are storing and they'll be sick as hell if they were to just switch over to it. If they even know how to prepare it in the first place.

It seems more like a fantasy roleplaying hobby mixed with collecting/hoarding.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They sell it to this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZoHuMwZwTk

Seriously that guy's channel is life-changing

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://www.chepicap.com/en/news/8397/failed-ico-for-sale-on-ebay-for-60-000.html

original article is paywalled though if someone has access plz c/p
https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2019/03/25/1553498702000/A-failed-ICO-is-trying-to-flog-itself-on-eBay-/

quote:

Failed ICO for sale on eBay for $60,000

quote:

The owner of a blockchain startup, named Sponsy, is turning to the e-commerce website, eBay, where he is trying to sell his failed ICO for $60,000. If you are interested, you will have to hurry up, the sale expires in less than 4 days.

The advertisement on eBay lists Sponsy, a blockchain startup which is described as a blockchain project that is fully prepared to launch both ICO's and STO's and apparently was set up to create a distributed software solution for events and brands to manage sponsorship deals conveniently and reliably.

The offer further claims that the project was fully audited by an investment firm and approved by investment bankers. On top of this, the advertisement states that the solutions developed by Sponsy comply with European Union and United States regulations.

Read more: These are the 3 coins to watch for Q2 2019 - Cryptocurrency

The founder of Sponsy, Ivan Komar, told the Financial Times that the company had missed the ICO hype of 2017, and that therefor no one had shown interest in its tokens later in 2019.

Komar's lawyer had recommended that Sponsy developed the product first instead of launching an ICO, a decision that the Sponsy founder now regrets.

'We hired a lawyer and that was a big mistake for us. Because our lawyer basically told us that we should not launch any ICO before we built a real product that might have some users. And I asked him why, because I saw so many ICOs out there who did not have any idea for any product, yet they managed to raise tens of millions of dollars.'

So what would Sponsy have done differently if they had the chance again?

'We would not have tried to build a product first, we would have tried to run a token sale as soon as possible, to jump into this crypto craze bandwagon, and raise as much money as possible before building any product. And that’s exactly what others were doing'

Komar further points out that he thinks that the project can be successfully sold, especially due to the fact that the crypto part can be easily removed from it.

'The core business model would run just as well in the centralised world without any tokens or crypto or blockchain... They can easily eliminate the crypto functionality out of this. The core component is a platform — it doesn’t require any crypto or blockchain component to work. Just a typical, centralised server'

He did add that the institutional 'approval' claim, is quite a strong statement:

'Approved might be a huge word for it. It might be some kind of exaggeration. We did have a law firm based in the UK that ran some sort of audit of our project, and it ranked it, and the rank that we got was pretty high and the risk we got was pretty low.'

Komar himself seems to think $60,000 is a steal for the product he is offering. 'The ideal amount would be $200,000.'

As of writing time, no offers have been made to buy the failed ICO, and with less than 4 days to go before the offer expires, it seems likely that this sales attempt as well will end up being a 'Fail'.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sponsy-Blo...sQAAOSwJjNcj62m

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I can't be held responsible
'Cause she was touching her face
I won't be held responsible
She fell in love in the first place
For the life of me I cannot remember
What made us think that we were wise and
We'd never compromise
For the life of me I cannot believe
We'd ever die for these sins
We were very freshman

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

It seems more like a fantasy roleplaying hobby mixed with collecting/hoarding.

This is the conclusion that I've reached. I bet they don't even throw the old food out. Future youtubers will have a lot of expired food to try and eat.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Probably the same reason people keep tons of cash out of the market "in case things crash".

We love to shoot ourselves in the foot, sometimes literally, to (ineffectively) protect ourselves from scary & unlikely scenarios.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Alan Smithee posted:

https://www.chepicap.com/en/news/8397/failed-ico-for-sale-on-ebay-for-60-000.html

quote:

Read more: These are the 3 coins to watch for Q2 2019 - Cryptocurrency

heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Who saw this one coming? :tipshat:

Only registered members can see post attachments!