Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

I have this model in the blister, and I had no idea how much detail it had. Holy crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I didn't get a ton of painting done this week, but I did do some fun stuff.

I got the transfers applied to my Jomsvikings for Saga: Age of Vikings. These 5 are done now:

Then yesterday I met up with one of the best painters in my area (I think). He showed me some tips & tricks on painting NMM, brush control and paint consistency. It honestly helped a ton and I've been using way, way too much paint on my models.

This is the Plague Marine he worked on. He did NMM tarnished copper/bronze:

I did the guy with the grenade:

Blending like that takes a ton of time and there's no way I'd do it across my entire army, but for characters I'm going to keep trying it.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Mugaaz posted:

I loving hate assembling metal miniatures. Plenty of cleaning and snipping/filing flash, some gap filling. Pinning really depends, this particular model absolutely doesn't need any pins. Some stuff with arms pointed out horizontally really wants pinning, but is borderline impossible to do with a piece that small. Pinning is really desired on a few models, but it really depends. Most of the models need a very small amount of greenstuff in the join to get to sit flush with both pieces in full contact. Emphasis on "very small amount", talking about the head of a pin or less worth of green stuff. Also helps with the gluing process because can keep stuff stationary while it sets.

On the other hand, I like working with metal more than plastic. I only just started on plastic models and filing them is a pain. Metal is definitely more effort though. Your super glue should be fresh and joints need to be clean and scored but I've never used green stuff and all my models are solid. Pinning isn't necessary. I mostly do it for the giant robots since they weigh so much but you can pin anything with a small enough bit and some patience.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
If you have good drill bits (do not buy a pack of 20 bits that are only $5; you get what you pay for!) and are willing to practice, pinning quickly becomes so easy that you can just do it as a routine step. I pin everything except stuff like capes, where the depth of the pin would be so shallow that it's useless anyway. One nice thing about pinning is that, once you get the holes drilled and the pin in one side, it becomes a lot easier to attach that part properly; I'm sure we've all had times where we try to glue some fiddly-rear end piece and you can't get it aligned quite right (especially with 3-way joins). Pins make that so much easier.

Another thing I do with pewter specifically is to polish it a bit with 000 steel wool. This helps remove any roughness on the surface (though Infinity minis seem very smooth in my limited experience) as well as making it easier to tell if you've smoothed out all the mold lines. With unpolished pewter, the shiny bit where I've removed the mold line makes it really hard for me to tell if I actually got it 100% removed.

Finally, if you're having a tough time telling if you removed your mold lines or if your putty is flush with the surface, I use a toothpick that I sharpened with a knife and lightly run it over the surface in question to check. I find it's a lot easier to feel the bumps where something's not right than to see them, especially when you have contrasting colors (e.g. green stuff on top of pewter).

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 25, 2019

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

Another thing I do with pewter specifically is to polish it a bit with 000 steel wool. This helps remove any roughness on the surface (though Infinity minis seem very smooth in my limited experience) as well as making it easier to tell if you've smoothed out all the mold lines. With unpolished pewter, the shiny bit where I've removed the mold line makes it really hard for me to tell if I actually got it 100% removed.

Yeah, I use a brass brush for this. It's the last step before I wash the models with dish soap and water.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

That Italian Guy posted:

This is very nice. Speaking of Infinity Minis, I finally caved and bought a Yu Jing starter pack cause there is bit of everything and the minis look super fun to paint (the central big guy looks especially fun, since it has a bit of everything).

These ones.

How much assembly/cleaning/pinning is necessary? I normally paint hard plastic stuff and I'm not used to white metal anymore.
I find that with Infinity minis (especially CB's newer stuff) there is virtually no flash and very minor mold lines. I think the only thing I've ever pinned was a fiddly antenna and the fore-legs on my Maghariba Guard TAG (because it's heavy as gently caress). Most stuff is fine as-is, and the square-lug-and-socket system CB uses for limbs or whatever is really nice in terms of making sure stuff fits well. Occasionally you'll come across something that needs a little bit of extra love (the Tuareg Sniper from the Red Veil/Haqqislam starter box had a tiny miscast that sent people into rages, but if you caught it and filed off the extra little blob of metal caused by a tear in the mold, it went together perfectly).

I will ditto the need for fresh CA glue, though. It will make your life orders of magnitude easier, as I found out last weekend when trying to glue together a tiny Nasmat Remote with glue that was past its prime. After I bought fresh glue, assembly was a snap.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Wrapped up the Venomcrawler

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BULBASAUR posted:

The 30k thread drew straws and I got the short one so I guess I'm responsible for making a new OP for this thread. It might take me about a week to put together or so. I'm going to get a few of our resident painters to contribute to specific sections.

If you need something I can help with please let me know.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ilor posted:

I find that with Infinity minis (especially CB's newer stuff) there is virtually no flash and very minor mold lines. I think the only thing I've ever pinned was a fiddly antenna and the fore-legs on my Maghariba Guard TAG (because it's heavy as gently caress). Most stuff is fine as-is, and the square-lug-and-socket system CB uses for limbs or whatever is really nice in terms of making sure stuff fits well. Occasionally you'll come across something that needs a little bit of extra love (the Tuareg Sniper from the Red Veil/Haqqislam starter box had a tiny miscast that sent people into rages, but if you caught it and filed off the extra little blob of metal caused by a tear in the mold, it went together perfectly).

I will ditto the need for fresh CA glue, though. It will make your life orders of magnitude easier, as I found out last weekend when trying to glue together a tiny Nasmat Remote with glue that was past its prime. After I bought fresh glue, assembly was a snap.

I dunno. Almost every mini I get has a ton of flash. Mold lines are minimal, but the flash is higher than GW's ever was (FW resin is still worse)

Still not complaining about the quality, and the lugs make it easier, but some CA stuff is a nightmare to assemble, and I've never understood why koalas, madtraps, tinbots, and whatever can't be cast as one piece

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Who makes a good burnt sienna? I've been using mostly Vallejo stuff but I don't see that in any of their lines, unless it's got some random name I'd never be able to guess.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Who makes a good burnt sienna? I've been using mostly Vallejo stuff but I don't see that in any of their lines, unless it's got some random name I'd never be able to guess.

Cavalry brown?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

WIP Screamers. These make me so happy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What would be the best sized magnets to magnetize Space Marine arms?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Holy poo poo those look dope. Lisa Frank screamers! Can’t wait to see the finished product!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What would be the best sized magnets to magnetize Space Marine arms?

2mm's. Smaller than that is more suitable for hands and I think 3's are too big for where the arm connects to the the torso I think.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Loving these. Makes me kinds of want to finally sort out my own airbrush...

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Zark the Damned posted:

Loving these. Makes me kinds of want to finally sort out my own airbrush...

Yeah every time I see these lovely paint jobs I want to buy an airbrush. Then I'm reminded that I live in an apartment and I don't have a room I could use this is; also that I would probably have to learn everything from scratch. I guess not many skills you learn from painting with brush can be used with an airbrush? Color theory and basic paint behavior on a 3d surface aside, I mean.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

There's not a ton learn with airbrushing. Mostly it's maintenance and cleaning, and eventually if you push towards doing detailed airbrush work, masking.

I started off using my airbrush for everything and eventually wound up using my brush for everything except priming cause I could get smoother more precise blends by hand. But, now that I'm playing 40k there's just too many models, so back to the airbrush.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah every time I see these lovely paint jobs I want to buy an airbrush. Then I'm reminded that I live in an apartment and I don't have a room I could use this is; also that I would probably have to learn everything from scratch. I guess not many skills you learn from painting with brush can be used with an airbrush? Color theory and basic paint behavior on a 3d surface aside, I mean.

My "airbrush setup" is a spray booth on a cheapo folding card table and a compressor on a desk, you can do it!

I rely on the fan and filter most of the time these days, I only run vent tubing out of a window if I know I'm going to be priming and basecoating like a whole squad of infantry and I want the extra help.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
My airbrush booth is a cardboard box with a hole cut in it for a fan and a furnace filter. It sits on my dining room table. After several years, my poo poo still isn't covered with paint, and I don't have black lung.

(Use a respirator even if you have a full-on vent hood.)

It's worth it for priming and pre-shading alone, to say nothing of being able to get a smooth white or yellow without a million tedious coats.

It's also a great gateway into scale modeling, which owns bones.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So the Sparmax TC-620X recced in the OP is close to 400 USD now. Does anybody have a recommendation that's in that 200-250 range?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

everythingWasBees posted:

So the Sparmax TC-620X recced in the OP is close to 400 USD now. Does anybody have a recommendation that's in that 200-250 range?

Master Airbrush Model TC-40T

make sure to buy a BPS to NPT conversion fitting

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

(Use a respirator even if you have a full-on vent hood.)

Would having a dog in the house be a concern for an airbrush? It's just me and the pooch, which is to say she loses her loving mind if I close the door and don't allow her to be in the same room for me.

I'd wear a mask no problem, but I don't the dog would take well to one :)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Sab669 posted:

Would having a dog in the house be a concern for an airbrush? It's just me and the pooch, which is to say she loses her loving mind if I close the door and don't allow her to be in the same room for me.

I'd wear a mask no problem, but I don't the dog would take well to one :)

That's a good question, and a big part of it's going to be what you're spraying, but also your dog. I wouldn't put any lacquers through the brush if you want to be on the safe side, but with acrylics you basically just have to worry about particulate hazards. My pets have all been okay being in the house with it.

If your pooch has a bad time in the spring, maybe put a box fan in your window to really push some air out, or use a real paint booth with a powered vent fan.

Also, depending on your dog, it might freak out at the compressor. It's not like most airbrush compressors are majorly loud, just sometimes dog gonna dog. It's worth checking before you get real heavy into any work.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
My airbrush setup is a cardboard box with some paper towels over the opening, and I keep a window cracked.

Also I have a room for hobby stuff and there hasn't been much overspray, so I don't bother with a ventilation setup, I just wear a rebreather and keep an eye on them filters

Granted, I don't do a ton of airbrushing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was envisioning having a desk set up window-adjacent with a box fan blowing air out, but still wasn't sure if I should be concerned for her.

She doesn't very much like the vacuum cleaner, but then she doesn't even blink when a garbage truck goes by or an fire truck blaring its horn / sirens, so I don't know how she'd deal with the noise.

Worst case scenario she'd just leave me alone of her own free will (as opposed to me locking her out of the room against her will).

Maybe I'll finally bite the bullet and get one this year. But first I need to make a small desk that would be the right height to sit in front of a window 🤔

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Are any of the affordable (300 or less. Pref a lot less) pre-built spray booths fireproof? Sticking only to non-flammable paints seems rather limiting.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
FW finally releasing blood angel rules got me back to painting my BA, this time with a new red scheme.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Booley posted:

FW finally releasing blood angel rules got me back to painting my BA, this time with a new red scheme.

Holy smokes these are good! The jetpack engines look so good. I am jealous at your ability to edge highlight!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Booley posted:

Nice work dude. I like it more than your fists- its def your style.

If you're looking for feedback, one thing I'd consider is doing something more with your basing. Nothing crazy, just something to make it more interesting

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Booley posted:

Not metallic candy-apple red. Boo. :mad:

Seriously, though, they look great! I do agree with Bulbasaur that a little more visual interest on the base would bump it up.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
How do I take perfect photos like that

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mugaaz posted:

You need an expensive camera first, this’ll also make your models look better.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ijyt posted:

this’ll also make your models look better.

mmmmm big disagree. All it does is make the flaws on my models that much more evident!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Booley posted:

gently caress, the cloak and engines are goddamn incredible.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I'm so jealous of that smooth brush :3:

I've finished Grumlok and Gazbag. I kinda rushed the job at the end cause it's a very big miniature with a lot of samey bits, but some parts of it were super fun to paint :)

Open in a new tab for hyuge.

Still trying to figure out the mysteries of photography.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 28, 2019

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.
I recently bought some Chaos Dwarfs who are pretty poorly painted. My normal stripping method is soaking in methylated spirits and scrubbing hard with a toothbrush, neither of which seems great for resin.

I've seen people in this thread recommended an ultrasonic cleaner, but will I still need to scrub with my toothbrush? What should I look for in an ultrasonic cleaner?
In a related question, what stripper is best for resin? Something not too chemical like Simple Green?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Put the models in a ziploc bag filled with Simple Green or Krud Kutter and the rest of the ultrasonic cleaner with water and run it. Yeah, you'll probably need to scrub them a bit.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mugaaz posted:

It's literally his job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

FANTASTIC! Mind if I ask which brands/colors those are?