Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shrapnig posted:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46839490

Kazu Miura is 52 and still playing professional soccer in Japan. His professional career started in 1986, he “retired” from international play in 2000.

He beat Stanley Matthews' record for oldest player to score in a professional match, as well. I never thought that one would go. On the other hand, when Matthews scored his last goal aged 48 it won Stoke City promotion to the First Division and earned him his second Footballer of the Year award.

Matthews was so badass that pictures of him are not required and may in fact break the forums. Oldest player to play top flight professional football at 50 (Miura's team are second division), oldest player to win FWA Footballer of the Year by some 14 years, and in a senior career lasting 35 years and 697 appearances he was never booked or sent off. He was a player who legends thought was a legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

quote:

697 appearances he was never booked or sent off. He was a player who legends thought was a legend.

This is the crazy part to me

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jedit posted:

He beat Stanley Matthews' record for oldest player to score in a professional match, as well. I never thought that one would go. On the other hand, when Matthews scored his last goal aged 48 it won Stoke City promotion to the First Division and earned him his second Footballer of the Year award.

Matthews was so badass that pictures of him are not required and may in fact break the forums. Oldest player to play top flight professional football at 50 (Miura's team are second division), oldest player to win FWA Footballer of the Year by some 14 years, and in a senior career lasting 35 years and 697 appearances he was never booked or sent off. He was a player who legends thought was a legend.

Considering that soccer is a lot like hockey in that you go pro at 17 or 18 and are usually done because you're getting outpaced by 40, that is amazingly impressive. The fact he was an extremely clean player just makes him even cooler.

Speaking of old hockey players!

Gordie Howe retired from professional hockey when he was 52 years old. Hockey. The sport where people fly up and down ice wearing knives on their feet and slam each other into planes of glass and are known to have no teeth left after a career. He's unarguably one of the best to have ever played the sport, and despite the fact that he played for such an unlikable crappy team full of ne'er-do-wells and ragamuffins (the Red Wings suck), after Mario Lemieux, he's my second favorite player of all time.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 14:28 on Mar 24, 2019

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
also contributing the gordie howe hat trick which is the raddest play in all of sports

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's because he was so well rounded!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
more sports need fighting :catbert:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Gordie Howe never scored a Gordie Howe hat trick iirc

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pretty sure he only did it once.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordie_Howe_hat_trick

only 2

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
If you've got a goal and assist and see someone on the other side with the same you're pretty much going to have to fight. I don't know much about hockey but I can't see how it would work any other way.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

Jedit posted:

You left out the best part, which is that he gave up his summer every year for 25 years to coach poor kids in Africa all summer long, up to and including forming an all-black boys' football team in the middle of 1970s apartheid South Africa! And then using his connections to organise a trip to get these kids to Brazil so they could play a tournament there and meet Zico, which was their dream. Dude owned so hard :3:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
My man ruled

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The pedestrians walking past also seem to be in different positions, it might just have been an alternate take

Definitely different takes. Compare where the break away from the cab happens in each shot.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hockey is very badass and you should all watch the playoffs this year. One aspect I find particularly badass is deflection goals. A guy uses a stick to launch a frozen 3" piece of rubber upwards of 175km/h and another guy tips it mid flight to change the angle. Incidental tips will happen, but in the videos below guys are doing this intentionally. Always blows my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joq5SmjTa2A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uge1zxdPKuY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0Xw7Q_zWKc

e: one more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ3GXX6o1Fs

e2: and a bonus of Crosby doing wizard things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlhJdMVCr9c

Cocaine Bear has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Mar 25, 2019

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Obligatory Terry Sawchuck hockey scars photo

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

This new Leatherface is a goddamn atrocity! Get it right Hollywood!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

christ did he just block the puck with his face instead of the stick?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Repeatedly?!

E:vvvv now I feel foolish.

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Mar 25, 2019

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Obligatory reminder that this was a makeup artists recreation of all the injuries he had experienced over his career.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

neat, thats pretty well done

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Krankenstyle posted:

neat, thats pretty well done

Way better than Punisher season 2 that's for sure

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

He looks like he had a saw chucked at his face.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hockey is the best sport. This is not up for debate.

Not unrelated:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Marv from Sin City?!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

In case it is isn't obvious, Sawchuk played partly in the pre-protective mask era

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
that reminds me of craig mctavish the last hockey player not to wear a helmet. he didnt wear one up until like 96-97

he also killed a lady drunk driving

he is now a manager in the edmonton oilers organization

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

P.S.
I'm gay

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

cgfreak posted:

You left out the best part, which is that he gave up his summer every year for 25 years to coach poor kids in Africa all summer long, up to and including forming an all-black boys' football team in the middle of 1970s apartheid South Africa! And then using his connections to organise a trip to get these kids to Brazil so they could play a tournament there and meet Zico, which was their dream. Dude owned so hard :3:

I don't know how matters stand in your country, but here we have regulations limiting the amount of badass we are allowed to put into a single post and I was already at quota.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
“The purpose of the collar is to protect the dog wearing it when it has to fight the wolves. The collar base protects the dog’s throat and carotid arteries, while the spikes are intended to deter bites to the neck or even injure wolves trying to do so.”

also Tibetan Mastiffs were bred to protect sheep from wolves and tigers, which is why they have the big mane to protect their necks

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I always liked the Rhodesian Ridgeback. They fight lions. And a dog that fights lions is cool in my book.

And they look like cool chill dogs (I guess they're not unless you train the hell out of them):

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ekuNNN posted:

“The purpose of the collar is to protect the dog wearing it when it has to fight the wolves. The collar base protects the dog’s throat and carotid arteries, while the spikes are intended to deter bites to the neck or even injure wolves trying to do so.”

also Tibetan Mastiffs were bred to protect sheep from wolves and tigers, which is why they have the big mane to protect their necks

for a second, i thought that notable forums poster instant jellyfish had just wardogged out major and mina

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Oh hey I lived with a Kangal/Dogo mix for a year and like his owner said, he was cool until he wasn't. He ripped several smaller dogs to bits while I lived there. Never lost any of the farm critters to wild animals, though, and he was somehow a great people dog. Dude's head was the size of a basketball and he was supposed to be paralyzed when he was a puppy. His back legs didn't work great but he didn't give a poo poo.

Here's another badass Kangal

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I remember someone in Pet Island here who had a Maremma (which I believe is the white dog pictured with the wolf collar) that ate through a wall to get out and sit with the goats or horses during a storm. Can't remember who though, it was a while ago.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I believe that was a great pyrenees which is another livestock guardian dog.

My uncle has two of them for his farm and they are gigantic friendly doofs unless you are a threat to their sheep friends. They managed to scare off and tree a cougar once! Good dogs.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pyrotoad posted:

I remember someone in Pet Island here who had a Maremma (which I believe is the white dog pictured with the wolf collar) that ate through a wall to get out and sit with the goats or horses during a storm. Can't remember who though, it was a while ago.

If I remember correctly, the dog was in an empty loose box in a stable because it was recovering from loving parvo, so it really needed to rest a lot in a warm, quiet place, but his drive to protect his flock of goats was so strong he broke into the next box, fought his way past an enemy horse which was living there and was found the next day up in the pasture with the goats - a bit frail and battered but nevertheless On Guard

:3:.

edit: found it:

quote:

When Chief came down with parvo (despite being vaccinated) we thought it would be a wonderful idea to lock him in my tack room while he was recovering, since it was the middle of winter, the whether was poo poo, and he was still pretty weak.
The next morning I came out to see him chillin' with his goats. I thought "Oh, I must not have latched the door properly, silly me" and went to go close it. When I looked inside the tack room, I saw that, no I had closed the door just fine- instead, Chief had chewed a hole through the wall, enabling him to get into my horses stall, then climbed/jumped through the opening in the stall door, and dug underneath the fence to get to where the goats were being kept.
Chief hated horses, because my gelding was a dick and loved to bite and kick dogs, so he normally gave my horses a very wide berth- but that night, he intentionally went directly into my gelding's stall. My gelding had some minor bite wounds on his legs, and Chief limped for several days, making me think that my gelding must have kicked or bitten him in the scuffle. This dog NEVER went near horses willingly, but he was on a mission to get to his goats so he took on a 1200 pound horse without a second thought to do so.
This was all when he was only 6 months old, and again, he was incredibly weak and ill at the time, having just come home from the vet after spending 3 days on an IV. Good luck with your fwuffy new friend, OP.

Tough puppy.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 13:44 on Mar 27, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What a nightmare for that gelding.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Platystemon posted:

What a nightmare for that gelding.

Well, it had lost it's knackers, surely it shouldn't fear anything.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Solice Kirsk posted:

I always liked the Rhodesian Ridgeback. They fight lions. And a dog that fights lions is cool in my book.

And they look like cool chill dogs (I guess they're not unless you train the hell out of them):

chill is not how I would describe that breed.

Intelligent escape artist who want to run free is a better way of describing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

my uncle had a ridgeback, and it was an awesome dog

his landlord came into his house while he was out once and the dog backed the guy into a corner and kept him there for like five hours, lol