Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Date.........

They have found the gate, the way to the door.

I plan to run, to leave tonight.

Please anything, help me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Forge me armor of Adamantine.

Give me a weapon and shield of Adamantine.

Lock me in a room with the Demons and let them come to me.

I have found my Glory! :black101:

This. My dwarf this run is apparently some sort of minor deity of combat, and if we are to make a stand against the demons, then I'd rather guild myself in heavenly blue and die gloriously for the mountainhome! :black101:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

neogeo0823 posted:

This. My dwarf this run is apparently some sort of minor deity of combat, and if we are to make a stand against the demons, then I'd rather guild myself in heavenly blue and die gloriously for the mountainhome! :black101:

They come seeking foolish, greedy, Dwarves. We shall give what they desire, for what we crave most of all is the slaughter of demonkind :black101:.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Just don't make a mess.

turol
Jul 31, 2017
I think I died at some point. Did I? If so, please re-dorf me.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
1 Hematite

It is summer, and our master craftsdwarves have been working day and night to extract our precious adamantine strands. Nearly everyone involved has been inducted into the military at some point, and I would be lying to say I wasn't taking advantage of their training.

Eeep has been working down in "The Wound," our miners' euphamism for the adamantine mining shaft. We've been scraping the last of the metal off the walls, trying not to disturb Black Robe's seal on the monsters below.

Despite my intentions, the demons have become an open secret amongst the tradesdwarves. I think most people had made peace with life under a volcano, and this new threat is too abstract to interfere with day to day work.

For the time being, I'm continuing my surface-side cleanup initiative. This month's project calls for us to remove these outdoor butcher shops, which were abandoned after the very first zombie outbreak.

I scheduled the demolition for a day when we are not being sieged by the dead. Mojangles is still taking a somber attitude to his assigned task, though.

2 Hematite

With the butcher shops deconstructed, I've been reviewing our corpse inventory again. There's a number of perfectly serviceable skulls that have been sitting outside for months now. Sure, they're not in mint condition, but I've given the pile to our bonecrafters to deal with. Hopefully, they'll have something we can offer the human merchants who are due later this month.

I visited the prison again today. FreakyM has been deep in thought, thinking of how she will rejoin our enlightened society.

I can't say the same for DirtSo8, but at least she's getting some rest.

5 Hematite

I find myself dozing off in my office lately, whether or not I've been drinking my wine. When I dream, I flash back to my medical training. Metal sutures closing off wounds; keeping infection out. Cathode Raymond roused me from one of these unpleasant naps to show off his new masterpiece. It was a bone carving of a dead human.

Yes, Cathode Raymond, it is a fine carving. And yes, as a suturer, I can appreciate the precise anatomical detail that's gone into this image of a dying human. But may I remind you, it's the humans who are trading for our bone carvings this season?

7 Hematite

Some zombie groundhogs have been sighted in our western territory. Nothing out of the ordinary, but I've dispatched some soldiers to deal with the nuisance. Corbeau was the first out of the gate. He was so excited, he dropped his library book in the vomit outside.

I watched from the entrance as he decapitated the little zombie. It really was impressive how far the head flew. I believe Corbeau was planning to cry out "For Glory!", but he was so startled by the lack of challenge it just came out as "Fore!"

It appears that Corbeau has found a more worthy foe.

9 Hematite

We were still clearing the corpses away this morning when the elves attacked.

Knife-ear bastards. Fool of them to think we'd be disorganized in the wake of culling groundhogs.

Our own mayor Zebrin was on the scene, taking fast action while the soldiers were still donning their armor.

He gave the elf a fine lesson in the art of dwarven wrestling. Zebrin later told me it didn't look like the poor tree hugger had seen a day of battle before.

At this point, Soulex, the drunk soldier, broke ranks to enter the fray. I witnessed him take a cheap blow from an elf before I left to take cover prepare for the merchant's arrival.

Witnessing this, Captain Aardvark was inspired to show the elves what brutality actually looks like. Zebrin joined the Captain in a pincer maneuver.

The elves lost all discipline, and their remaining band scattered in all directions.

One of these came back to her senses and attempted to hold ground. Unfortunately for her, the enemy was not a disciplined squadron of soldiers. It was a mob, following suit with mayor Zebrin.

Rather than end it quickly, the mob took pleasure in making an example of our would-be invader.

Finding the elven real estate limited here, the crowd broke apart to harass the other deserters. Dallbun took the opportunity to demonstrate the cultural value of our exports.

And so ended the day. Really, these fools bring it upon themselves. Don't you agree, chitoryu12?

11 Hemtatite

The human caravan entered our domain today. The mob decied to leave the ruined body of the elf Laci Ceyecamawada still gasping at our border as a warning. The ground is littered with her teeth. I trust the humans are familiar with the ways of the elves; they seem to pay no mind.

To be honest, I am a little taken aback at the actions of the mob. With soldiers, you can expect a vigorous and satisfying execution, but with these untrained servicedwarves, it got uncomfortably personal. Even performers like Werewhale jumped in at the chance to fight elves.

The place is left in shambles. We're still trying to find all the groundhog pieces that were dropped during the ambush.

All in all, we've killed thirteen elven invaders.

Soon to be fourteen.

12 Hemtatite

The human merchants have been poking fun at the disarray outside our gates. Jerks. We clean, we sew, and we get the soldiers back on the battlefield. What more can be asked?

13 Hematite

The merchants are still unloading.

Neddy Seagoon introduced me to turol, a lye maker. She was one of the more skilled combatants in the mob last week.

Do you think turol could be drafted into the military, asked Neddy. She very much enjoyed the brawl.

Turol asked if she could retire to her chambers to rest from the battle. I allowed it.

Sleep, turol. We could all use some rest.

So Math fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Apr 6, 2019

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Date... 13 Hermatite.

I can't leave this place. I ran with as much supplies as I could, I slipped out past the guards and ran as fast as I could.

I didn't look back as I ran... But the mountain didn't stop watching me.

I ran until I could only walk... I walked until I could only crawl.... Still, before I stopped I looked back. The mountain still loomed over me.

I collapsed and passed out from exhaustion..... When I woke up.... I woke up there. Back under ground. Back at the glittering passage they think they can seal. The atrium to the door of a billion lies.

Her kin whispered to me beyond the gate. The asked me to open it, to visit the void that is, to crack its bleeding surface with my fists.

To scream her name as my eyes are eaten and my beard catchs flame.

Oh she from outside, oh oh...

The twister in the mists, the bleeder in the void.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 23, 2020

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

DirtSo8 has really learned to look on the bright side, hasn't she? Happy just to be near a bed. She hopes one day to be allowed to sleep in one.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
The mayor beating elves into submission with ¡la chànclà! :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Decoy Badger posted:

The mayor beating elves into submission with ¡la chànclà! :allears:

WELCOME TO VALLEYSILENCES! BUY SOUVENIRS! *THUNK*

WELCOME TO VALLEYSILENCES! BUY SOUVENIRS! *CRUNCH*

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It is a gelding strike!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Your elves actually brought weapons? They should have stuck with books, those seemed to work better.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Gnoman posted:

Your elves actually brought weapons? They should have stuck with books, those seemed to work better.

Given that books can be bound in metal or stone, even elven books I think, this makes sense.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

If you still crave dorfs to sacrifice to the blood of the earth, I will volunteer

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
13 Hematite

We're nearly ready to begin negotiating with the humans. I met one of the militia captains, Spaced God, while he was hauling elf weapons inside.

We talked about our mutual hatred of the elves for a while, though it didn't seem like he found the skirmish terribly cathartic.

14 Hematite

We've entered into bargaining. While GruntMountain was haggling over exotic berries and raw iron, I peeked through the humans' scholarly works. It was a pretty poor offering. It seems that the humans have reinvented the pint glass.

The only book that held my attention concerned a text about classification of minerals.

They did have some teaching books. One was a treatise which outlined the merits of humans as pupils. It was not a very long list.

The other was a manual on how to breathe through your nose.

15 Hematite

GruntMountain discovered one of our prize creations, Kanfesh, wrapped in some dirty laundry at the bottom of a bin of jewelry. It should have been on display with the other fortress artifacts. I suspect the humans are trying to pull one over on us.

Not knowing the true value of Kanfesh, the humans were duped into taking a pile of silver goblets instead. They really have no idea what we're sitting on here.

16 Hematite

There has been an unfortunate miscommunication. While we have been focusing on the merchants indoors, no one thought to destroy the bodies of the elven invaders from last week.

So naturally, a couple of them got up to try their luck a second time.

Too bad for them, we already stripped their armor and sold it to the humans.

NiftyBottle took it as civic duty to kill Are Nayiare a second time.

Without a weapon, the corpse was reduced to biting Captain Ibblebibble.

Even one of the children got some good hits in on the zombie.

Seeing this pathetic display, our bookkeeper decided to join in. I am saddened to say she did not survive the encounter.

Boksi demonstrated a bit more fortitude in the brawl. I don't think she even felt the corpse bite.

It was NiftyBottle who struck some of the final blows.

Meanwhile, Vodkahead slew the other zombie. I believe she acted alone; I confess I was focused more on Are Nayiare. Vodkahead's getting quite experienced in fighting the undead, and did not waste any ammunition.

With the elf put down again, Vodkahead immediately started cleaning up the mess she had made.

18 Hematite

The humans have left for their next trade stop. I make sure that the militia double-checks their cargo for any other "misplaced" artifacts.

Down in the jail, FreakyM has been seeking guidance from Geshud.

Somehow, a stray rooster wandered into the jail, and DirtSo8 killed it with her bare hands.

We had to explain to her what she had done. I think some part of her knows it was wrong.

19 Hematite

A human bard has entered our territory. She would like to perform in Valleysilences.

What genre do you play, I ask her. Metal, she says.

I granted her a temporary residence, hoping that she would perform for DirtSo8. With the heft of that vistrok hanging off her back, she'd at least be able to defend herself.

20 Hematite

I was telling blade leader about my visit to the jail the other day. She got all weepy and went down to pay a visit herself.

She did seem a little drunk at the time.

22 Hematite

GoldenPrice has taking her son out of doors today, to show him her excavation work at the old butchery.

He's such a cutie. Come to think of it, he was probably present for the elf skirmish. That will be a formative experience, I'm sure.

23 Hematite

Another zombie elf. Rutile took care of it without batting an eye.

Also, a second bard asked for residence today.

He seemed happy to be here. Some days, I wonder if even stories can't escape this place.

So Math fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 12, 2019

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
A 99-year-old human bard? Someone should be on station to dispose of him when he inevitably drops over from the exertion of taking a step or seeing something spooky.

Actually, how does DF handle dying from old age? If it even does? I think it's the only cause of death I haven't seen in an LP.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

So Math posted:

What genre do you play, I ask her. Metal, she says.

:grin:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The fact that a group within our society felt it necessary to publish a book explaining how to breathe really tells you all you need to know, doesn't it.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Actually, how does DF handle dying from old age? If it even does? I think it's the only cause of death I haven't seen in an LP.

You get an announcement of "[x] has died from old age." It's only happened once in any DF LP that I've seen.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
( Date :Hematite 24)

Hello dear Journal, everything seems to be going quite well for me.

Even the fortress seems to be in good shape and all the other dwarves seem happy.

Lately the undead continue to plague us, but thank fully and rightfully only undead Elves.

Perhaps I'm an old racist but it's good to see elves getting what they deserve.

Me and the wife plan to ask if we can get an exstion put on our home. It will be good for the family that's for sure. It's good to have family.

Everything is ok.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 9, 2019

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PurpleXVI posted:

A 99-year-old human bard?

Maybe the Rolling Stones are touring Valleysilences

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Hell yes, gently caress that elf. Twice. I am hella vengeful.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Oh hey! I'm glad this is not dead.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
6 Malachite

Our former tyrant, Namong burst into my office today, reeking of booze.

She made off with a hunk of raw adamantine, muttering about locking up the demons.

Apparently, she's inspired to create a new artifact and has taken over a mason's shop.

9 Malachite

There's not much more I can do on the surface until we get some mining work done, so in the mean time I want to develop the cavern outside Geshud's temple. Our cook rabiddeity likes to forage the wild quarry bushes growing there to diversify the menu.

11 Malachite

The northern half of the cavern is cut off from us by a pond. (The cave monsters do not seem to have a problem with this, however.) Just look at all those untapped resources -- delicious herbs, giant tower caps, and yards of spider silk litter the area. I've attached the blueprints for a retracting bridge over the pond. We're also planning to seal off most of the lower areas where monsters have roamed in the past.

Dallbun, LLSix, and tFUCKINGmesis started the hauling work today.

12 Malachite

Sinur Dentcries has been living with us for a fortnight. I think he's come to appreciate the volcano in his own way.

He's quite old (for a human, anyway) and like many of his kind has become quite bitter in his twilight years. Can I try out my stand-up routine on you, he asked me, pulling a scrap of parchment out from behind his back.

I told him I had to inspect the new grottoes.

We're expecting some more migrants this month. I know that not everyone likes to pray in the non-denominational temple, so I've commissioned these grottoes next to the hostel to serve some of the more popular faiths.

The southern grotto is dedicated to Onol, the god of metals.

The northern grotto is dedicated to Doren, the god of minerals. Funny. Last month, I found an advertisement for Doren texts on a dead invader. I wonder what they think of our god?

It Must Have Beans? loving elves.

14 Malachite

We're adding additional capacity to the jail, just in case. Dog Kisser went down to pray with our prisoners today and ran into Sinur the bard.

Evidently, Sinur wanted to cheer up DirtSo8 by recounting tales of the festivals he played in his youth. I suspect he got lost in his recollections. DirtSo8 was not impressed.

She tried taking her frustration out on a rabbit that wandered into her cell.

Fortunately, the rabbit wasn't harmed too badly.

18 Malachite

The migrants arrived today.

I'll have to get myself introduced later and learn their names.

19 Malachite

Today, Namong finished her artifact! It is a hatch cover, adorned with a picture of our mythic queen.

Her intent is that this hatch would replace Black Robe's improvised seal in the adamantine tube. Namong assures me that the name "Seepage" is supposed to be ironic.

20 Malachite

Adamantine production is far behind. Foul Ole Ron assures me he's pulling threads as fast as he can.

The jail extension is nearly complete. Radio Free Kobold was there this morning to comfort her friend.

Zebrin was there, too, but with less generous intent.

21 Malachite

I saw Frenzy the Killbot praying in Doren's grotto after lunch.

Sounded like she's been taking care of herself. Good on her.

25 Malachite

We've expanded the warehouse under the depot. It was u brexit ukip it's idea.

27 Malachite

I caught Rutile tying herself up in jail today, pretending to be a prisoner.

Why on earth are you doing that, I asked her.

Right.

Anyway, it's been a pretty light month since no one is attacking us. Here's hoping Galena is more of the same.

So Math fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 14, 2019

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
That's probably some of the weirdest dwarf behavior.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

So Math posted:

19 Malachite

Today, Namong finished her artifact! It is a hatch cover, adorned with a picture of our mythic queen.

Her intent is that this hatch would replace Black Robe's improvised seal in the adamantine tube. Namong assures me that the name "Seepage" is supposed to be ironic.

Oh, I see how it is. No, no, it's fine. I saved us all from certain doom, but if that's not good enough for you, if you need fancy artwork on the thing walling off the actual demons from hell, then you go right ahead. It's not like I'm an engraver or anything. I could have made it look pretty if that's what you wanted. But no, you put your work there instead, that's absolutely fine with me.

i hope something eats you while you're trying to install it. ungrateful dwarves these days.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Glad my Dwarf is doing ok these days.

Glad he is suddenly finding a renewed work ethic to mine.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

So Math posted:

I saw Frenzy the Killbot praying in Doren's grotto after lunch.

Sounded like she's been taking care of herself. Good on her.

Oh good. Glad I'm doing ok, and that this LP is still going.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Oh good. Glad I'm doing ok, and that this LP is still going.

It will never end.

This place is our eternity.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

How's my reincarnation doing? I assume my old corpse has been thoroughly disposed of by this point, seeing as we're not getting any more reports of my body parts attacking folks, but iirc I was re-dorfed as a child, whom I assume is still alive?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
1 Galena

Brother Buer filed a complaint against DirtSo8, so her sentence has been extended. She'll be in chains for at least another month. FreakyM only has a few more days to serve, though.

Megane is nearly finished installing the jailhouse well. We're required by the crown to keep our prisoners sober, but there's no reason to punish the poor sap hauling water from one side of the volcano to the other.

3 Galena

FreakyM is a free dwarf today! At least, as soon as someone goes down and unchains her.

4 Galena

We finally found someone drunk enough to go in DirtSo8's cell to try and smooth out the floors -- geri_khan.

She told me that DirtSo8 was quiet and well-behaved the whole time, but FreakyM looked a bit restless. Wasn't she let out yesterday?

6 Galena

Due to a clerical error, no one can let FreakyM out of her cell until we file the correct paperwork. I think she's being a bit melodramatic about it.

10 Galena

Admiral Joeslop, nuramor, and mcclay have been designing a new temple space. The Admiral declared it "Bring your pet to work day".

The cavern expansion project has been enough of a success that I've requested a second bridge be put in over the southern lake. Fuubi and rabbiddeity have been bringing in wild dimple cups by the barrel.

20 Galena

Alright.

I think enough time has passed that I'm ready to record the werepanther attack.

On the evening of 15th Galena, a werepanther approached the Valleysilences entrance from the south. No one was scheduled to be outside at the time, so the alarm went out to close the bridge. This would have trapped the beast outside and let Archers Ho, the crossbow squadron, deal with the problem from their sniper nest. Since there is only one way into the fortress, the axedwarf squadron was not scrambled.

However, the bridge operator was not able to pull the lever before the werepanther entered the fortress.

HardHead was a gem cutter. She was taking a walk through the trade depot when the alarm was sounded. Assuming that the drawbridge would be raised, she decided to get a closer look at the werepanther, expecting it to be killed shortly. She was the first dwarf to enter the brawl.

Also on the scene was funktopus, a wood burner. She was moving bars of fuel coal to the recently constructed storage facility located underneath the fortress entrance. After hearing HardHead's battle cry, funktopus dropped what she was doing to help fight the wild animal.

Thinking quickly, HardHead grabbed what she believed to be a copper maul from the trade depot. Unfortunately, in the heat of the moment, she actually picked up a copper crossbow instead. Early in the encounter, the werepanther was able to bite both HardHead and funktopus.

The battle continued on into the night. No reinforcements arrived to support the civilian brawlers. According to testimony, the werepanther removed HardHead's shoe and began slapping both HardHead and funktopus with it, rather than rely on its natural weapons. Had it not been for this luck, it is likely that the fight would have ended with more casualties.

During the night, orders were given to the fortress guards to kill the werepanther on sight. On the morning of 16th Galena, Vodkahead, a marksdwarf, came onto the scene to support the civilians.

Vodkahead reached into her quiver, only to find that it was empty. She had left her ammunition in the squadron armory, which was located one floor above. With life on the line, Vodkahead made the decision to wield her crossbow as an improvised club against the monster.

During her debriefing, Vodkahead had this to say: "That night as I was clubbing that panther with my crossbow, I kept thinking how this wasn't what I signed up for. I'm not supposed to be up close and personal with danger, I'm supposed to be on the other side of a pit from it, or behind a wall even. But my support wasn't there, it was just me and those two citizens."

"The other dwarf, HardHead, was doing it, too. In Valleysilences, you start to get good at thinking on your feet like this, but it's just not what I signed up for, dammit."

Vodkahead's entrance gave funktopus an opportunity to attack the werepanther. Without a weapon, she resorted to biting. This behavior is thought to be indicative of early stages in the werepanther infection.

After twelve hours of fighting, the werepanther was bleeding out. Several of its bones had been broken, but without access to ammunition or bladed weapons, the dwarves were not able to land a killing blow.

Hoping to protect the civilians, Vodkahead maneuvered the werepanther into a ditch on the southern side of the entrance chamber. This ditch, and the one on the north side, were originally planned to collect stray arrows after a battle. An irony not lost on the marksdwarf.

Word had broken out that the military was not engaging the werepanther. Against standing orders, a third civilian entered the fight. Ducim Glazesquare was a miner in Valleysilences. According to testimony, his plan was to drive an iron pick into the werepanther's head.

Blood alcohol analysis would later show that Glazesquare was highly intoxicated when he arrived on the scene.

Rather than bring a quick end to the fight, Glazesquare only managed to score superficial wounds, enraging the werepanther further.

In response, the werepanther landed a paralyzing bite on Glazesquare, severing his spine below the ribs. Vodkahead bashed the creature's head with her crossbow, giving Glazesquare time to fight back.

However, the werepanther was still standing directly over Glazesquare's prone body. Before anyone could react, the werepanther crushed the miner's windpipe. Ducim Glazesquare was dead.

At this point, HardHead and funktopus jumped into the ditch to avenge Glazesquare.

The werepanther collapsed under the flurry of blows. Cause of death was ruled to be blood loss. HardHead and funktopus were immediately taken to the hospital for treatment.

However, it was several days before Glazesquare's corpse was removed for burial. A child named 10dishOkiku was found playing at the scene of the attack. She had been roaming the fort for months unsupervised, while her mother, DirtSo8 carried out a jail sentence. Her father, mcclay, could not be reached for comment.

23 Galena

While habituallyred looks after the werepanther victims, I've quietly asked the carpenters to install locking doors on the hospital. All we can do now is wait.

In all the excitement, I forgot to check in on Commander Keene's dwarf. I promise I'll get to that next week.

We've made it halfway through 570! :toot: At this rate, I expect to wrap up my turn in early June. The overseer queue is empty at this point, so let us know in the overseer discord if you'd like to be in charge of this literal hell hole next! https://discord.gg/QXDhV5j

So Math fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 21, 2019

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011

So Math posted:

According to testimony, the werepanther removed HardHead's shoe and began slapping both HardHead and funktopus with it, rather than rely on its natural weapons.

Give those back! You are a cat. They don't even fit.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

E: I somehow missed new stuff. :stare:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Why does it seem to happen so often in DF that archers forget their ammunition?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The werepanthers in this area are a little bit... special, aren't they. If I remember right the last one attacked us wielding a book it had written.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Why does it seem to happen so often in DF that archers forget their ammunition?

There are particle colliders less complicated than the DF military outfit/scheduling system. And dwarves tend to rate "pick up ammo" as a task noticeably less urgent than "look at a cool chair" so even if they're supposed to be carrying bolts they often haven't gotten around to it.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I have been dead long enough, please add me to the list on this day of resurrection

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

So Math posted:

The cavern expansion project has been enough of a success that I've requested a second bridge be put in over the southern lake. Fuubi and rabbiddeity have been bringing in wild dimple cups by the barrel.

Yay! Fuubi did... something...

Dimple Cuuups!!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
1 Limestone

Judging by the position of the moon, we have two weeks until funktopus and HardHead will transform. I've asked everyone to give funktopus a wide berth until I can figure out what to do with them. She's taken to drinking in the tavern storeroom. HardHead is still in the hospital, bedridden.

3 Limestone

I saw funktopus working on this month's dig -- a new lava trench on the northern slope. Strange, she's never shown interest before. None of the miners had the heart to take the pick from her.

I think I can find a special project just for her.

4 Limestone

Funktopus is chipping away at the adamantine tube as I write. Not that she's producing ore. Oh, well. It's just to keep her busy, anyway. We've walled her off from the rest of the mine. Now the only way into the tube is a shaft that runs up to the surface, outside of the fortress proper.

I've told her the wall is in case of monsters escaping the adamantine tube. It's true enough.

5 Limestone

I didn't have it in me to close the floodgates on funktopus, so I had to ask Malachite_Dragon. We agreed that it was for the best.

Bye, funktopus.

7 Limestone

Valleysilences has finally produced a proper war dog. It's been chained up at the cavern entrance, for safety.

The dog gets lot of pets from SirPhoebos and the other fisherdwarves on their way in and out of the cavern.

8 Limestone

HardHead is back on her feet. Not that any of her wounds have healed up.

She said she wanted to be with funktopus, so she grabbed a pick and went outside looking for the entrance to the adamantine shaft.

I didn't want to open the shaft again, so I panicked. I told HardHead she was on scouting duty. Oh boy, she said, and went off towards the barracks. I heard later she grabbed a full set of armor, so she was just like a real militia captain. poo poo.

10 Limestone

I was looking after little Commander Keene this afternoon while Computer Viking was working. He wants to know about his mom, and how she's doing after the werepanther bit her. He's still so innocent.

I told him HardHead was on a secret mission to scout out the caverns, and then let him get back to his play.

Good kid.

11 Limestone

HardHead has been wandering about the fort for days now, dressed up and playing soldier. She finally set foot in the cavern today.

While she's busy, I put in a rush order to carve out a quarantine room in the deep mines. YellerBill has taken it as an opportunity to show off his skills.

Of course this is all going down at the same time the Mountainhome merchants arrive. I just hope I can keep them from seeing the werepanthers when they turn a few days from now.

DirtSo8 has finished her jail time. All that's left now is a punitive beating from the captain of the guard, DeceitfulPenguin.

He's taken the merchants' arrival as an excuse to shirk off work. Not very professional, but at least DirtSo8 is off the hook for a few more days.

13 Limestone

We can hear through the walls that funktopus has turned into a werepanther. At least she's unable to harm the other citizens.

I have no idea where HardHead is.

---

Admiral Joeslop and Zeerust have both reported sights of a werepanther in the cavern. It must be HardHead. Zeerust was strangely calm.

I've ordered Archers Ho to deal with the situation, since Vodkahead was able to fight off the original werepanther without becoming infected. Let's hope they bring their ammunition this time.

15 Limestone

No one was at the scene when Vodkahead died, except HardHead of course. I think I've pieced it together.

From Zeerust's description, HardHead had taken off her armor, and was only wearing her obsidian ring and a buckler when she saw her. Judging from the lack of crossbow bolts on the scene, I have to assume Vodkahead engaged HardHead in melee, most likely using her crossbow as a club again.

From the wounds on her body, it looks like Vodkahead had been struck with a blunt object, likely the buckler HardHead pinched from the barracks last week.

I'm thinking back to Vodkahead's account of the fight last month. She told me then she might as well transfer to the hammerdwarf squad. That was the last time I spoke to her.

At some point in the fight, HardHead gave up on her weapon and decided to use claws instead. I can't imagine the fight went on much longer after she blinded Vodkahead.

The killing blow must have been a buckler to the temple. At least it would have been quick.

According to HardHead's testimony, she came back to her senses standing in front of Vodkahead's still-warm body. She refuses to acknowledge her involvement.

Rest in peace, Vodkahead.

---

Trading sounds like it's gone well. I haven't been much involved. The Mountainhome traders can't get enough of our unique cuisine.

I imagine Kennel will be happy his dishes are being appreciated back home.

With trading wrapped up, DeceitfulPenguin will finally have to get around to DirtSo8's punishment.

Strange. I've never known DeceitfulPenguin to carry a punishment hammer.

I have to remember, this is for DirtSo8's own benefit.

DeceitfulPenguin seemed pleased with himself when I saw him at dinner. He told me the beating went so well, he slipped into a meditative trance when he was finished.

How did DirtSo8 fare, I asked.

As good as she could have, it sounds like.

17 Limestone

We agreed to a new trade agreement today. I couldn't help but notice, the merchant was wearing a souvenir Valleysilences bracelet we must have sold him.

He's convinced they'll be the next big thing back home. That's great, considering what he's willing to pay to get more.

After the meeting, I stopped by the library, to see if there any new acquisitions. There were a few new scrolls.

I'll have to borrow the medical scroll later on.

19 Limestone

We've been so busy with other work, Vodkahead's body has lain in the cavern for a week. I send HardDiskD down to bring her back.

The results were disappointing.

20 Limestone

DirtSo8 is finally out of her cell, and recovering from her beating in the hospital. I'm sure she'll be ready to be a productive member of society again, once she's rested up.

So Math fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Is my dorf still alive?