Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Loot game mechanics? Like kill bosses for drops or something? That sounds rad
Do you like Diablo-style randomized loot and incremental upgrades? Then you'll love it. If you don't, you might find it very frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Loot game mechanics? Like kill bosses for drops or something? That sounds rad

Exactly. Diablo-loot and armor sets with set bonuses and stuff.

It's kind of annoying during the normal playthrough since everything shits so much inconsequential loot into your direction but in the postgame there is some fun to be had with the systems (so just like diablo itself actually).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

perhaps they're responding to the fear that this harsh game in an extremely violent setting where NPCs constantly contract tuberculaids and go into coughing fits might randomly an arbitrarily decide it's time for a merchant to die, rendering their goods inaccessible, a thing that absolutely happens in various ways in other games with a similar tone by the same developer

I think you quoted the wrong post, but that's a fair concern. Definitely doesn't seem to be the case though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zaphod42 posted:

I am trying to talk about videogames in the videogames thread. If you don't want to have a conversation about videogames I don't know why you're here.

You do nothing but talk past people who voice any kind of criticism here. That's not a conversation.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Arist posted:

Any time I or anyone else voices even the most minor complaint you Kramer in here and explain that it's not actually a problem. Maybe stop taking it all so personally.

Sekiro: Zaphod42 Replies to All Critical Posts Twice

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You know what's cool? Super parrying those voldo fuckers and jump kicking them in the face and stabbing a sword into them. I wish more minibosses were like that

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

they took the best part of Nioh (stamina breaking) and made it a core mechanic in Ninja Souls

also lmao at ever asking on an internet forum if a game is like another game

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

theblackw0lf posted:

It says it iincreases spoils while making mobs harder but I'm not seeing an increase in spoils.

I'm guessing they mean the items you find, as skill xp and money is the same

yeah, it’s all placebo effect and anecdotal evidence and moon magic guessing at this point, but the consistent throughline is it makes enemies drop upgrade materials more often

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Arist posted:

You do nothing but talk past people who voice any kind of criticism here. That's not a conversation.

I could accuse you of the same, that's a dismissive ad hominem. And I definitely do not.

Zaphod42 posted:

but that's a fair concern

Zaphod42 posted:

Up is just not a good action button, yeah.

Zaphod42 posted:

I think that part could have been better communicated

and on and on. I do loving not. But if you want to pretend someone is being contrarian so you can ignore them, anybody can do that. Doesn't mean I am.

I even went out of my way to say

Zaphod42 posted:

Criticism is fair and we definitely shouldn't act like FROM is beyond reproach, that's toxic.

I do feel some bosses are a bit tenacious in that even if you survive a tough hit, its hard to get a moment to simply drink the potion without taking another hit.

But then you just gotta try to be clever. Lady Butterfly for example you can use the wooden posts, just move so they're between you and her and you can get off a free potion while she throws shurikens at a post

Seriously Arist?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 25, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I really dislike your dude falling down after some big hits and only responding to a dodge/jump. I've died way too many times trying to parry while Sekiro is on his rear end not responding to it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Andrast posted:

I really dislike your dude falling down after some big hits and only responding to a dodge/jump. I've died way too many times trying to parry while Sekiro is on his rear end not responding to it.

yeah agreed, it feels really goofy. i wonder why they did it that way

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Andrast posted:

If they're gonna do that you'd think you'd have temporary invincibility on the floor and could use it to dodge certain attacks by staying down, like in Monster Hunter. But nope you're super vulnerable lol.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

yeah, it's also (as far as I can tell) one of the important game mechanics the game never really teaches you, or even signals

certain attacks just make you tumble. Which attacks? Who knows, the only way to find out is to get hit and have your inputs stop responding!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

I could accuse you of the same, that's a dismissive ad hominem. And I definitely do not.

and on and on. I do loving not. But if you want to pretend someone is being contrarian so you can ignore them, anybody can do that. Doesn't mean I am.

I even went out of my way to say

Seriously Arist?

Nice meltdown.

You have been doing all day exactly what Arist said.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Andrast posted:

wait til you see a boss use his downstab attack that only comes out if you're knocked down

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I guess I'm playing this game wrong? You're supposed to just stand there and press parry?

Seems a lot more fun to jump around like a ninja killing people in all kinds of crazy ways: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWR3dj7Cxw (spoilers for early Ashina Castle quest)

Now I have ichimonji and a few more tools and it's even crazier. Did some of you get a pre-release copy that was missing some of the buttons?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arist posted:

he once spent an entire day and several pages furiously arguing the differences between "grinding" and "farming"

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
lady butterfly is a broken fight. I've never seen a boss be so hopelessly stunlocked from the most basic attacks to the point where someone who's never played a video game before could beat her by pressing two buttons over and over until she dies. not sure how that one got passed testing

ed:sp

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
wow, people are mad on these here interwebs huh

Andrast posted:

Cowcaster posted:

yeah agreed, it feels really goofy. i wonder why they did it that way

:darksouls:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

he once spent an entire day and several pages furiously arguing the differences between "grinding" and "farming"

Who the heck are you talking about? You were the one who accused me of defending Battlefront 2, right? Because again, I don't even own that game. So now you're just making poo poo up.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

lady butterfly is a broken fight. I've never seen a boss be so hopelessly stunlocked from the most basic attacks to the point where someone who's never played a video game before could beat her by pressing two buttons over and over until she dies. not sure how that one got passed testing

ed:sp

i also saw that tweet

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's like we're playing Sekiro with our posts

Clang clang flash parry

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Regy Rusty posted:

Clang clang flash parry

Personally I'm just mad I'm at work instead of at home playing Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

So I am posting....ingeniously.*

*Shitposting

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

i'm gonna use my grappling hook to get the hell out of here

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I want to play this game SO BAD, but I suck so much that I need sunbros to play these games.

blaargghhhh

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FromSoft, please, for the loving love of all that is holy, if something is inches away from the camera don't make it a giant blurry loving mess that ruins my view even further, just make it completely transparent. How does this terrible poo poo get in this game? Good lord.

Also, the control buffering system should be optional and I hated this poo poo in Bloodborne.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Is nioh this except actually a dark souls clone?

E: to people having trouble with consumables just use cheat engine on pc. I dont gently caress with grindy punishing mechanics and neither should you. I'm not 12 with infinite time anymore lol

Nioh is more like dark souls than this. It doesn't have an overworld, though, which is a bit different. It also throws a ton of loot at you like Diablo or whatever.

Nioh's enemies also have stamina, and their bar is shown under their health. When they run out of stamina, you can do a visceral attack, which is a fun mechanic.

It also has an active reload on your stamina meter, and pulling it off is tied to another mechanic involving clearing up debuff pools.

Nioh is fun but you can see its roots as a PS3 game (it was in development hell for a long time).

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 25, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wow, the timing on Mikiri Counter is way more generous than I expected. I thought I'd have to hit B exactly as a thrust landed but it seems like as long as I'm holding B and essentially dodge into the thrust it'll activate. That kicks a whole lot of rear end.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What causes Blackhat to move and not be a merchant anymore

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

Wow, the timing on Mikiri Counter is way more generous than I expected. I thought I'd have to hit B exactly as a thrust landed but it seems like as long as I'm holding B and essentially dodge into the thrust it'll activate. That kicks a whole lot of rear end.

the "parry now" window seems to start when the weapon's tip glints and finish when the weapon's tip is planted snugly in your torso

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yeah it's soooo nice. And it's probably my favorite move from an entertaining perspective too, the enemies look so surprised.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Your Computer posted:

i'm gonna use my grappling hook to get the hell out of here

You get hit by a shuriken as you soar through the air, knocking you on your rear end. On closer inspection, the shuriken is made from paper. You fold it open.

It's a Zaphod post.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Welp. Spent the afternoon getting stomped in Mibu by Corrupted Monk. might need to come back later when I have a bit more health or healing or find some confetti and red sugar. This boss feels way more punishing when you goof up than Gyobu or Butterfly

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I think im gonna swap Up and Square on my controller. Or maybe bind use item to triangle.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Harrow posted:

I thought you just had to press the B button, as that's what I did on the training guy, but you're saying I should press B and also dodge towards the thrust?

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Araganzar posted:

I guess I'm playing this game wrong? You're supposed to just stand there and press parry?

Seems a lot more fun to jump around like a ninja killing people in all kinds of crazy ways: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWR3dj7Cxw (spoilers for early Ashina Castle quest)

Now I have ichimonji and a few more tools and it's even crazier. Did some of you get a pre-release copy that was missing some of the buttons?

Play it however you want to, especially if you're having fun with it. Just be aware that many of the the boss fights from here on out will force you to engage with the other systems (parry/thrust counter/sweep counter) so it might be a steep learning curve if you don't practice on regular enemies.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It’s really cool seeing people doing areas in different orders than I did. Like, doing areas in the early game that I never visited until near the end of the game.

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 25, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

I thought you just had to press the B button, as that's what I did on the training guy, but you're saying I should press B and also dodge towards the thrust?

Nah you're good. He's saying if you press B early you still get the counter off because B is dodge. If you press counter early, your guy seems to kinda just dodge-into-counter. The counter is pretty forgiving.

BattleHamster posted:

Play it however you want to, especially if you're having fun with it. Just be aware that many of the the boss fights from here on out will force you to engage with the other systems (parry/thrust counter/sweep counter) so it might be a steep learning curve if you don't practice on regular enemies.

I don't think that post was made in earnest. I think they were being sarcastic.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Skypie posted:

Welp. Spent the afternoon getting stomped in Mibu by Corrupted Monk. might need to come back later when I have a bit more health or healing or find some confetti and red sugar. This boss feels way more punishing when you goof up than Gyobu or Butterfly

Is that your third main boss? If so definitely skip for now that's firmly a later game fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

theblackw0lf posted:

Pressing B makes you dodge forwards and also does the counter and the counter timing is generous enough that you can be in the dodge-forward animation and still have the counter go off