Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I exclusively use concur to book and have never had an issue getting any hotel points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I dont have issues getting regular points either, but Hilton runs a promotion every now and then that gets you an extra 20k(???) points every five stays if you book through the hilton app.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

bengy81 posted:

Increasing the points required for rewards stays was the final straw for me, not booking Mariott unless I have to.

My company just sent out an email saying that booking through Concur is mandatory, up until recently it had been "highly encouraged."
So RIP bonus for booking through app points, you were too good for this world.

Is there a up-to-date article on which chain gives the best points or what I should looking at? TPG is basically a slimy sales guy at this point.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I like Hyatt's rewards program but the problem is they have the least number of hotels in many situations I encounter.

These days I just stay wherever is most convenient, despite somehow holding onto Marriott Plat and Hyatt Explorist through lucky circumstance.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It’s cheaper to book a oneworld explorer ticket than what I just booked. Christ LHR is expensive.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mandalay posted:

I like Hyatt's rewards program but the problem is they have the least number of hotels in many situations I encounter.

These days I just stay wherever is most convenient, despite somehow holding onto Marriott Plat and Hyatt Explorist through lucky circumstance.

If you're staying only in major cities, Hyatt is fantastic. Unfortunately they don't have many hotels in smaller cities or out in the boonies, unlike IHG, Hilton, and Marriott.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

TPG is basically a slimy sales guy at this point.

It's been that way since day one. The site is a credit card shill disguised as a lifestyle blog. They've just gotten more obvious about it.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

What do you guys recommend in Atlanta for a good way to spend an evening, and also good food? I'll be there next week. Last time I was there I went to the Center for Civil and Human Rights which was pretty sweet.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

bowser posted:

What do you guys recommend in Atlanta for a good way to spend an evening, and also good food? I'll be there next week. Last time I was there I went to the Center for Civil and Human Rights which was pretty sweet.

The aquarium is pretty nice and there's a CNN studio tour if you are in to that kind of thing. Bone's is a really good local steakhouse as well. Went there last time I was in town.

Dunno if you've had to exit ATL before but if not, wear some comfortable shoes, you can easily walk a couple miles in that airport just trying to get out of it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I’d say tour Williams street studios (adult swim) but I don’t think they do tours

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I’m gonna be in midtown Manhattan for the next ~2 months. Any restaurant recommendations?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
BA flight goes to Scotland instead of Germany. Whoops!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rex-Goliath posted:

I’m gonna be in midtown Manhattan for the next ~2 months. Any restaurant recommendations?

I practically lived in NY for the past few years.

Bibble + Sip for coffee - get the matcha and/or grey tea cream puffs.

Basically anywhere in Hell's Kitchen is gonna be decent, if a little overpriced. If you want to splurge on something pricey, go to O'Ya for sushi.

There are a few places worth getting on the PATH train to Hoboken for.

Just hit me up on HipChat. I gotchu.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Aahaha. That must be ludicrously unsafe.

I've taken a couple of trips back to London on BA s hilarious european business class. Exactly the same seats as economy but you get booze and a salad. Glad I'm not paying..

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I like to imagine that everyone on that flight had their noise cancelling headphones in when the pilot said the plane was going to Scotland.

Anyone ever flown the London City to JFK flight?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Lote posted:

I like to imagine that everyone on that flight had their noise cancelling headphones in when the pilot said the plane was going to Scotland.

I was just reading about that, it seems rad. 32 seat A318 and a refueling stop in Ireland where you clear customs while they refuel and then off to JFK. Must be all finance.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

movax posted:

I was just reading about that, it seems rad. 32 seat A318 and a refueling stop in Ireland where you clear customs while they refuel and then off to JFK. Must be all finance.

Are there any airports other than Dublin and Shannon outside of North America that have customs preclearance for US-bound flights?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

psydude posted:

Are there any airports other than Dublin and Shannon outside of North America that have customs preclearance for US-bound flights?

I don't know of any other EU airports that have it, but I know AUH has preclearance.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

psydude posted:

No clue, only ever done pre-clearance in NA.

Heading out Friday AM for SEA-ATL-JNB on Delta. South African has the only other US-based direct to JNB but leaves early Friday AM from JFK; that meant either a red-eye transcon or overnight in NY. Delta's route leaves evening from ATL and arrives mid-late afternoon in JNB. Thought about heading through EU (AMS mostly) with ME (DXB/DOH) and HKG as comedy options. 15-16h in economy, hello diphenylhydramine my old friend. At least this time I'm spending 9-10 days on the ground before getting back on for the return.

So with DL200/201 on this trip and DL40/41 to SYD in the past that's the 1st and 3rd longest Delta flights. The others are ATL-PVG, ATL-ICN and DTW-PVG which don't sound fun, though the latter two are on the A359. Only time I've been on one was NRT-DTW when they first introduced them.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

movax posted:

No clue, only ever done pre-clearance in NA.

Heading out Friday AM for SEA-ATL-JNB on Delta. South African has the only other US-based direct to JNB but leaves early Friday AM from JFK; that meant either a red-eye transcon or overnight in NY. Delta's route leaves evening from ATL and arrives mid-late afternoon in JNB. Thought about heading through EU (AMS mostly) with ME (DXB/DOH) and HKG as comedy options. 15-16h in economy, hello diphenylhydramine my old friend. At least this time I'm spending 9-10 days on the ground before getting back on for the return.

So with DL200/201 on this trip and DL40/41 to SYD in the past that's the 1st and 3rd longest Delta flights. The others are ATL-PVG, ATL-ICN and DTW-PVG which don't sound fun, though the latter two are on the A359. Only time I've been on one was NRT-DTW when they first introduced them.

I did IAD to JNB on Ethiopian and it was only one stop at ADD. They're a way nicer airline than either Delta or South African, although ADD isn't a great airport.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Lote posted:

Yeah. I mean, it’s cool and all but with the stop I’d rather just clear at JFK with a Global Entry?

And I prefer the lounge game at LHR because even at City I still arrive early so maybe I’m just bad at it?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

sellouts posted:

Yeah. I mean, it’s cool and all but with the stop I’d rather just clear at JFK with a Global Entry?

And I prefer the lounge game at LHR because even at City I still arrive early so maybe I’m just bad at it?

It takes pretty much the same amount of time to get to Heathrow as City and the First or the B gate lounges are nice.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The gin bar at Qantas and the showers at Cathay are next level though.

That Cathay shower is like fire hose.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'm being audited for a $4.60 expense from January. I need to provide a receipt or else. If they really want to me to dig it up that's fine but the hour I spend doing that is billable and worth so much more than the expense itself.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

I'm being audited for a $4.60 expense from January. I need to provide a receipt or else. If they really want to me to dig it up that's fine but the hour I spend doing that is billable and worth so much more than the expense itself.

Was this a non-US customer? Even Federal customers don't care about receipts for expenses less than $10.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
fedex them a 5 dollar bill

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

psydude posted:

Was this a non-US customer? Even Federal customers don't care about receipts for expenses less than $10.

Fortune 500. $200+ Billion in revenue.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Fortune 500. $200+ Billion in revenue.

Well the didn’t get to the F500 by allowing contractors to rip them off, mister!<:mad:>

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
a southwest 737 max 8 had to do an emergency landing today due to an engine performance problem

thanks deregulation!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

#1 source of engine issues is deregulation, yes

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Midjack posted:

Well the didn’t get to the F500 by allowing contractors to rip them off, mister!<:mad:>

My parent company doesn’t care for receipts less than $75.

I don’t know about the rest of you but I’d rather work for a place that spends $100 to not lose a $1000 as opposed to $1000 to not lose $100.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

As a person in corporate security consulting, that's probably something I would be at fault for. It's not about the $5. They probably randomly audit people, knowing it will cost them money to do so, because it mitigates the risk of long-term fraud.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Just landed in Chicago from three days in NY and I leave in less than twelve hours to Fargo for two days and then next Monday I fly to Boston for four days and probably two cities in Texas the week after guys I don’t think I’m gonna make it

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

taco show posted:

Just landed in Chicago from three days in NY and I leave in less than twelve hours to Fargo for two days and then next Monday I fly to Boston for four days and probably two cities in Texas the week after guys I don’t think I’m gonna make it

I just landed from 3 days in Manchester UK and Northern England, then a day in SF, 2 in Philly, 2 in NY and 3 back in London then back to LA.

Virgin Trains in UK aren’t bad. The LNER ones aren’t nearly as nice.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

I just landed from 3 days in Manchester UK and Northern England, then a day in SF, 2 in Philly, 2 in NY and 3 back in London then back to LA.

Virgin Trains in UK aren’t bad. The LNER ones aren’t nearly as nice.

Virgin Trains are pretty good as far as UK trains go. My favorite country for trains (and subways) is still Japan by a mile though. That country treats rail transport like a religion.

Fun weekend trip: take the Virgin train from London to Holyhead, take the ferry from there to Dublin. Takes longer then flying but a shitload nicer than dealing with the airports on either end. I did that trip with my wife when she tagged along on a UK business trip several years ago and she still talks about it. Much more relaxing way to go.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I have a MNL->HKG flight followed by a HKG->CPH flight coming up. Completely separate bookings/airlines. Can I still just ask MNL to check my luggage all the way through?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

bolind posted:

I have a MNL->HKG flight followed by a HKG->CPH flight coming up. Completely separate bookings/airlines. Can I still just ask MNL to check my luggage all the way through?

Across airlines? Probably not.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

bolind posted:

Unlikely as most airlines have stopped doing interline transfers thanks to baggage fee rules (it's complicated), though you should call yours and make sure. Most likely you'll have to claim it, go through customs, and re-check. Hope you have enough time because as you probably already know HKG is a busy airport.

If there's any way you can avoid checking bags the same doesn't apply to hand luggage, that way you can stay airside and just go to your new gate.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I think you can do it if it's all Oneworld airlines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Latam won’t because latam