Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
at least may didn't lose two capital ships in this scenario. tbf the UK only has one to begin with, so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

crispin blunt

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Does Brexit still mean Brexit? Asking for a friend.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

An insane mind posted:

Does Brexit still mean Brexit? Asking for a friend.

Brexit still means Brexit, but after Brexit it will be very important to acknowledge that Brexit didn't actually mean Brexit if you are pro-Brexit. Should you not be in favour of Brexit, however, it is important that Brexit after Brexit means Brexit but that you had no idea that Brexit actually meant Brexit at the time you made a decision about Brexit and whether or not Brexit means Brexit or merely Brexit.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

at least may didn't lose two capital ships in this scenario. tbf the UK only has one to begin with, so :shrug:

please let this be an axis and allies reference

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
He's referring to the sinking of HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse. Some admirals were yet to be convinced how dangerous a few aircraft were to Battleships.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
:negative:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Lol u dummy

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
it’s cuz fuckin germany gets to move first :mad:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It was Japan.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

hes referring to the super star destroyer crashing into the second death star

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
could someone rephrase this in harry potter?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Syncopated posted:

quote:

Half of the wizards in the harry potter universe serve no readily identifiable function, however, they stick around and eat all the food at parties. Sometimes, when they get drunk enough, they'll do bad poo poo like break your pottery, so it's like, why even keep these useless wizards around at all in the first place? Well I think that's because when you really need them, they'll come through for you. Some of those wizards can like, do a special magic spell that is useful in a time of crisis, and no other wizards can do it (but it kinda looks like this one spell that a friendly wizard knows). I threw a bunch of wizards into a room and simulated a party environment to get the useless wizards nice and drunk, and then I ran into the room and yelled THERE'S A TURKEY ON FIRE IN THE BATHROOM. One of the useless wizards got out his wand, so I'm pretty sure he was about to take care of that poo poo, but then I stopped the party and told everybody to go home because I couldn't afford any more beer and also there wasn't really a fire.

It's unrelated but it's one of the finest posts anyone has ever made, when asked to sum up his grad thesis in terms of Harry Potter.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Syncopated posted:

Well, much like Harry Potter there are a lot of bad actors.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Regarde Aduck posted:

He's referring to the sinking of HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse. Some admirals were yet to be convinced how dangerous a few aircraft were to Battleships.

And contrarily, some British carrier captains somehow didn't take surface threats all that seriously either.

Oops.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Syncopated posted:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

All those protest signs about pet visas have convinced me, Brexit is going to be good for Britain

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/johnprescott/status/1110263658943311879

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Syncopated posted:

This is like when Sirius Black became overconfident when dueling Bellix Lestrange and got knocked through the death veil.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Gripweed posted:

All those protest signs about pet visas have convinced me, Brexit is going to be good for Britain

when you get a bunch of people together, some will make silly signs

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

:staredog:

silvergoose posted:

It's unrelated but it's one of the finest posts anyone has ever made, when asked to sum up his grad thesis in terms of Harry Potter.

I feel like reading some of those Pratchett novels with the wizards in them. :allears:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

it's cool though because I've always been sort of mystified by the origin of the dumb clan titles and now we get to see the psychology that leads naming things that way real time in front of us

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I think they have absolutely thought that through.

Cunts

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does this mean we can finally chuck chequers

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
is there any hope of jolly ol' england not shooting itself anymore

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

prefect posted:

I feel like reading some of those Pratchett novels with the wizards in them. :allears:

"Ah, I’ve got an idea!" said the Dean, beaming. "We can get Hex to reverse the thaumic flow in the cthonic matrix of the optimized bi-direction octagonate, can’t we?"

"Well, that’s the opinion of four glasses of sherry," said the Archchancellor briskly, to break the ensuing silence. "However, if I may express a preference, something that isn’t complete gibberish would be more welcome next time, please."

By which I only mean, any Pratchett book with the Wizards, Rincewind (technically a wizard), the Guard or a character is a goddamn fine read and will bring a smile to your face.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Grondoth posted:

when you get a bunch of people together, some will make silly signs

And then the press and Twitter will only give publicity to the silly signs, and they'll all say "look at these over privileged people, worried about their dog's holiday, while Leave voters are thinking about The Real Issues"

It is very frustrating.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

An insane mind posted:

By which I only mean, any Pratchett book with the Wizards, Rincewind (technically a wizard), the Guard or a character is a goddamn fine read and will bring a smile to your face.

Also Nation, which is a strong contender for the best thing he wrote

That or Night Watch

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

it's cool though because I've always been sort of mystified by the origin of the dumb clan titles and now we get to see the psychology that leads naming things that way real time in front of us

inbreeding, you mean

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Crane Fist posted:

Also Nation, which is a strong contender for the best thing he wrote

That or Night Watch

This would be an emptyquote if not for the fact that I just remembered Mort, Reaperman and the Last Hero. And the Discworld Noir game.
I wonder what his take on Brexit would be.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i havent read much about brexit today but i reckon that
- nobody has a plan they can carry out
- nobody even knows what to try next
- the eu extension says that mays deal is no longer an option after march 29th
- we are back to no deal or european elections + very long extension

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

An insane mind posted:

This would be an emptyquote if not for the fact that I just remembered Mort, Reaperman and the Last Hero. And the Discworld Noir game.

there's a night watch quote for that iirc

"One of the hardest lessons of young Sam's life had been finding out that the people in charge weren't in charge. It had been finding out that governments were not, on the whole, staffed by people who had a grip, and that plans were what people made instead of thinking."

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

An insane mind posted:

Ankh splitting from Morpork by widening the river until both are gone.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
from https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46393399

im legal confusion

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Aren't we all

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

An insane mind posted:

The one that still amazes me is Small Gods. I'm not religious at all, but it really touched me. My eyes water a little bit when I think about the climactic scene. :allears:

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

prefect posted:

The one that still amazes me is Small Gods. I'm not religious at all, but it really touched me. My eyes water a little bit when I think about the climactic scene. :allears:

For me it's Thief of Time that did that. I love Small Gods don't get me wrong, but Thief of Time has a very epic feel to me and I'm a sucker for epic.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Where is the alleged confusion? My understanding of it is simple: unless perfidious Albion indicates elsewise or makes some kind of deal by the 29th, then she shall exit the EU without one.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

David Davis, in 2002:
"Referendums should be held when the electorate are in the best possible position to make a judgment. They should be held when people can view all the arguments for and against and when those arguments have been rigorously tested. In short, referendums should be held when people know exactly what they are getting. So legislation should be debated by Members of Parliament on the Floor of the House, and then put to the electorate for the voters to judge. We should not ask people to vote on a blank sheet of paper and tell them to trust us to fill in the details afterwards. For referendums to be fair and compatible with our parliamentary process, we need the electors to be as well informed as possible and to know exactly what they are voting for. Referendums need to be treated as an addition to the parliamentary process, not as a substitute for it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
https://twitter.com/DrRafiqRaji/status/1110304033506512897

:shrug: