Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Could you MS Paint a layout?

Could you go for a smaller dining room table and maybe use a desk in there? What other functions and uses are not being met by your house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I recently purchased an early 1900s craftsman bungalow with a formal dining room and I’m at a loss with what to do with it. The kitchen is just a little small to put an eat-in table there, but it seems silly to dedicate an entire room to eating like that.

We stuck an old buffet type thing in there and put the microwave on it. Cause that's one piece of ugly kit we didn't want in the kitchen, but it's right there when we need it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
did he post the toilet?

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

He's never coming back, the coward. Or he's saving his pennies to make a toilet closet worthy of bathDOOM.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Ebola Dog posted:

This might be quite a specific question but I'm hoping someone might be able to help.

I am covering a radiator in the living room with a cabinet and want to replace the slightly rubbish mdf grill that came with the cabinet with a nicer metal one. The house is a Victorian brick mid terrace (in the UK) so what I would quite like to do is get a metal grill with a period appropriate pattern and material (so probably zinc or brass). However I'm finding it hard to find any resources that actually tell me what sorts of grill patterns are appropriate for a late Victorian house so I was hoping that someone here might have an idea or be able to point me in the right direction.

In case it isn't clear these are the sort of grills I am talking about.

Radiator panel made in 1862. You probably just need to go dig through some museum or library collections for examples of brasswork that function as grills, even if it's not specifically for a radiator. Fire screens or window bars come to mind. I found the above flipping through the Victoria and Albert's website.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I have a question on taste for interior design.

My master bedroom closet backs up to the bathroom and shares a wall with the toilet/sink. I have several large holes in the closet from where my plumbing was replaced a couple months ago. I have yet to patch these holes because of :effort: and plans to do some more work in the wall.

I realize I have some really old and thick shiplap in my garage, and instead of patching the sheetrock, I'm thinking it might be wiser to use these boards and just shiplap up a couple of feet of the wall, which is similar to how the bathroom is done (with the same boards). This would have the huge benefit of allowing me to unscrew the boards and get back into the wall if I ever need to.

Here's what the bathroom looks like. You can see the shiplap installed in vertical sections. I would run it horizontally in the closet.

and yes, my bathroom is pinku and kawaii

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That is beadboard if it helps. I guess it doesn't matter how it looks in the closet, but it's intended to be vertical.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I found some pendulous desks to go with our pendulous ceiling titties.

They're so round and organic and fluid. I want the banana flavored one, but I have no where to put it and it would be so incongruous with the rest of my poo poo.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

kawaii

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I love the chairs, but fear the curviness of the desk means the drawers are weird shapes.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Ebola Dog posted:

This might be quite a specific question but I'm hoping someone might be able to help.

I am covering a radiator in the living room with a cabinet and want to replace the slightly rubbish mdf grill that came with the cabinet with a nicer metal one. The house is a Victorian brick mid terrace (in the UK) so what I would quite like to do is get a metal grill with a period appropriate pattern and material (so probably zinc or brass). However I'm finding it hard to find any resources that actually tell me what sorts of grill patterns are appropriate for a late Victorian house so I was hoping that someone here might have an idea or be able to point me in the right direction.

In case it isn't clear these are the sort of grills I am talking about.

Archive.org's Building Technology Heritage Library is a godsend for finding period architectural details like this.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Brilliant, thank you both, that's exactly what I wanted.

I was surprised that I couldn't find a website that had collected these sorts of details, I had found plenty of stuff about Victorian mouldings (such as skirting boards) at least.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

ThomasPaine posted:

did he post the toilet?

Not that I know of.
He tried to tile the poo poo closet, but they were just too unpredictable to make any sense, and it was making the :females: nervous.

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008

there wolf posted:

The tumblr I pulled those from has a hard-on for worn and decaying architectural features. Every bit of chipped plaster, exposed masonry, and rusting ceiling tile is vintage/industrial/artsy/boho chic and I've really come to loath it.

Maybe it's just the annoying faux-poverty poo poo applied to urban style that makes it seem worse, but I hate it even more than the farmhouse shanty look.

I'm looking to remodel our bathroom very soon and I fell in love with those Glasgow tiles shown earlier in the thread so I was looking up places to buy something similar local to me. Under "Vintage and retro tiles" they have things like this. Why, why would anyone ever spend good money on this?

Get the look!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Sarah Bellum posted:

I'm looking to remodel our bathroom very soon and I fell in love with those Glasgow tiles shown earlier in the thread so I was looking up places to buy something similar local to me. Under "Vintage and retro tiles" they have things like this. Why, why would anyone ever spend good money on this?

Get the look!

That is a uniquely uncomfortable-looking room.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

God drat, it just needs the candy tray with Old People Candy in it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sarah Bellum posted:

Get the look!

Sometimes you want to decorate your house like it's a SAW movie. A look that says, "Hell yeah I'm a serial killer!"

TheMadMilkman posted:

Great for murdering though. No absorbent materials to absorb blood or other fluids.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

TheMadMilkman posted:

Ah yes, the WWII-era london after a bombing raid look

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

TheMadMilkman posted:

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
I wish I could find photos of this place:
https://www.villagevoice.com/2011/02/16/a-staten-island-mansion-where-you-half-expect-to-find-boo-radleys-italian-cousin/

quote:

From the exterior, the Captain Barnes mansion looks like a madman’s lair, a hulking, paint-flaking white-brick facade..

Ground floor: The front dining room, which includes a sponge bust of Neptune, will stay the same. What’s now the kitchen will be a bar, just for the house, because “that’s how we roll.” A gilded California King–size bed-platform that’s loosely modeled after Louis XIV’s last sleeping quarters will probably get a dance pole and become a stage. “I’m not kidding—these are things that not only am I capable of doing but possibly will do,” Biagio insists. “Most homeowners like this are 50 to 60 years old and they pay a contractor to do this stuff. Me, there’s nothing that I can’t do. And if I can’t do it, I’ll figure it out.”

Basement: The brick oven is already installed. In addition, Biagio envisions a smoking room, a wine cellar, a gym, an aquarium with something exotic. (“Maybe like octopus, jellyfish, or a seahorse?”) A hot tub done in white marble dust, with a map of the world engraved on the bottom. “And I will just be sitting here, with my feet on the world.”

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

value-brand cereal posted:

They're so round and organic and fluid. I want the banana flavored one, but I have no where to put it and it would be so incongruous with the rest of my poo poo.

Needs those late 60s wireless phones and a giant weather balloon bouncing up and down in the corner to complete the look.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

TheMadMilkman posted:

It made me think of Al Capon's prison cell, but that's much more comfortable-looking.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

value-brand cereal posted:

Unironically love that creamsicle chair on the bottom right.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Looking at real estate and I laughed out loud at this one, because I couldn't stop picturing who I imagined the owner to be. Still better than Love, Laugh, Live though.

https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Condo-For-Sale/NS/Halifax/Spring-Garden/1465-Brenton-Street/72041320.html

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I was collecting for a mega post of stupid pop-art commentary in bathrooms but gave up on it because it was all so banal. Here are the two that I didn't totally hate (out of sooo many. It's a plague)

This one is hurt by no one having the gonads to hang it over the toilet.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TheMadMilkman posted:

I see someone’s going for the “post-high chaos dunwall” look from Dishonored

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I like the contrast between the "take a bath" sign and all the decorative crap in/around the tub that makes it functionally unusable

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Antivehicular posted:

I like the contrast between the "take a bath" sign and all the decorative crap in/around the tub that makes it functionally unusable

You don't wash yourself with... a rag on a stick?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

have you ever wondered what a whole house of lovely Pinterest DIY "remodeling" projects would look like?

wonder no more

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
that lacoste towel though

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I would put up with all of that for that sweet rear end garage though. Look at all that space. It would be like having your own warehouse.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Youth Decay posted:

have you ever wondered what a whole house of lovely Pinterest DIY "remodeling" projects would look like?

+Photos too horrid to quote.

:barf:

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
What's the weekly average number of splinters received in that house?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

this is like a house morphing into a barn (or vice-versa) and we caught the middle part of that transformation

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bathroom floor: carpet or mud? Idk lol

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

TheMadMilkman posted:

Are those... shelf L brackets made to look like bombed out plaster? That's kind of cool in and of themselves but actually impressively specifically perfect to that room.

Youth Decay posted:

wonder no more

Put a slab of granite in an old produce crate. Bish bash bosh modern vintage!

mutata fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 26, 2019

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Youth Decay posted:

wonder no more

The secret door behind the mirror going into the movie poster room is kinda cool. Like if you’re going to fill your house with a bunch of garbage, you could do a lot worse than secret doors.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Secret doors are great... for dying behind because the fire department doesn't know your crafty bookcase covering the exit exists.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Don’t die in your closet, problem solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
my "wife cave"

found a normal sorta bathroom

a wooden bath area is kinda stupid but maybe its sealed better than it looks and-

REVERSE. ANGLE.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 26, 2019