Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
If people canceled their preorders of fo76 they could not uninstall the preload of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

corn in the bible posted:

If people canceled their preorders of fo76 they could not uninstall the preload of the game

They still can't.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I literally couldn't uninstall it because it was trying to launch itself to do the uninstall and failing to update and crashing.

Bethesda is now an objectively bad developer. Well, they have been, but now it's more widely known.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It's more that they're branching out into stuff where their buggy messes aren't tolerable.

In a giant single player game you can ignore it.
Less so in a multiplayer game where connection and data security matter.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

FoolyCharged posted:

It's more that they're branching out into stuff where their buggy messes aren't tolerable.

In a giant single player game you can ignore it.
Less so in a multiplayer game where connection and data security matter.

Clearly this has taught them many valuable less- okay, no, can't keep a straight face while I say that. Hopefully they learned SOMETHING, anyway.

Like, as a first foray into online multiplayer, FO76 is a valiant attempt. It would probably garner a modest amount of positive press if it were a small game company's debut MMO, not a AAA developer using the Fallout license. We expect Bethesda to do better, though, and frankly I think we're justified in that expectation.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 26, 2019

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dareon posted:

Like, as a first foray into online multiplayer, FO76 is a valiant attempt. It would probably garner a modest amount of positive press if it were a small game company's debut MMO, not a AAA developer using the Fallout license. We expect Bethesda to do better, though, and frankly I think we're justified in that expectation.

They're different subsets of Zenimax and all, but it was really funny when Todd Howard came out on stage right after the Zenimax Online guy got done talking about TESO and said "we've never done online before".

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Grapplejack posted:

I'm also starting to think that we'll see Epic in court soon over GDPR violations.

What did Epic do this time?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Schubalts posted:

What did Epic do this time?

It copies a bunch of your steam data without permission by bypassing Valve's APIs designed for it.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 26, 2019

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Grapplejack posted:

I'm also starting to think that we'll see Epic in court soon over GDPR violations.
*Epic developer, brow furrowed in concentration*: Gee...Dee...Pee...Arr? What is that?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Protecting user's data isn't very Epic or Mega though.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

the nucas posted:

what's so bad about it? i only ever used it for quake champions and thought it was serviceable. it launched my game.

The worst thing about the bethesda launcher is that unlike their games they couldn't let the community do their work for them and fix it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

An insane mind posted:

The worst thing about the bethesda launcher is that unlike their games they couldn't let the community do their work for them and fix it.
Which is why Fallout 76 was such a huge flop. Online means no mods (because people will make mods that are just weapons that hit the damage cap), but no mods means that the unfinished, buggy mess they release will forever remain an unfinished, buggy mess.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
bethesda (unfortunately) isn't actually ditching their proprietary launcher yet. at least for rage 2, retail copies + third-party storefronts (fanatical, GMG, Amazon, etc) will still have Bethesda keys

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

the nucas posted:

i was really surprised to turn on steam and see rage 2 listed for pre-order, and apparently beth has announced all their other titles going that way as well? i wonder if valve blew them behind the scenes or something.

they probably have the clout/brand recognition to go all in on their bethesda launcher. losing them along with all of EA's games, maybe all of Ubi's future games (based on how happy they were with their uplay pre-order sales figures for div 2), whatever other random ace poo poo epic store is going to steal with their chinese money, would have conceivably turned steam into an oddball platform for AA releases and toilet bowl indie poo poo.

It'd take a lot more than all of that to do such a thing to Steam, lol.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I literally couldn't uninstall it because it was trying to launch itself to do the uninstall and failing to update and crashing.

I'm trying to decide if that's better or worse than the state Daggerfall was in when it shipped. I mean, you were spared from playing Fallout 76.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

I'm trying to decide if that's better or worse than the state Daggerfall was in when it shipped. I mean, you were spared from playing Fallout 76.

As if I want to ever play another Bethesda title?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I was hoping for no terrible anime games in my recommendations today, but I got Trap Shrine instead.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
People seem to have taken a liking to that one, its apparently already sold a fair bit more than they expected.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Kanfy posted:

People seem to have taken a liking to that one, its apparently already sold a fair bit more than they expected.

There is a drought of good gay vns.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

I kinda doubt the good part, since you know, there's a slur in the title.
also

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

:thunkher:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

vkeios posted:

I kinda doubt the good part, since you know, there's a slur in the title.
also

What was wrong with male pregnancy v1.0?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Tendales posted:

What was wrong with male pregnancy v1.0?

It just wasn't enough of a niche fetish, so with version 2.0, they really ironed the kinks out (in?) and now its something you can be really ashamed of.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
They never should have released Male pregnancy v1.0 the way it was, oh god the blood.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Tombot posted:

They never should have released Male pregnancy v1.0 the way it was, oh god the blood.

pretty sure Male Pregnancy 1.0 was an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

TheAnomaly posted:

pretty sure Male Pregnancy 1.0 was an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie.

Actually, male pregnancy 1.0 is a lot older than that. Arnold was version 1.8, 1.0 was back when they'd decided for some dumbass reason that men should give birth from their skulls.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Actually, male pregnancy 1.0 is a lot older than that. Arnold was version 1.8, 1.0 was back when they'd decided for some dumbass reason that men should give birth from their skulls.

The original man with questionable kinks.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The original man with questionable kinks.
Considering this was the guy who impregnated a woman in the form of a golden shower...

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

And his brother liked having sex with women as a horse.

Did Hades have any kinks?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Well, he was into dead people, so

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

SardonicTyrant posted:

And his brother liked having sex with women as a horse.

Did Hades have any kinks?

I still think no one beats Loki kink wise.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

corn in the bible posted:

Well, he was into dead people, so

Actually, Hades was into living girls. Persephone wasn't dead and he went nuts for her. :colbert:

Hades was also what, the least assholish of the three brothers? Don't remember any stories of him being a rapist, just a kidnapper.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Schubalts posted:

Actually, Hades was into living girls. Persephone wasn't dead and he went nuts for her. :colbert:

Pomegranates aren’t nuts. :eng101:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

epenthesis posted:

no, they are gore.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Schubalts posted:

Hades was also what, the least assholish of the three brothers? Don't remember any stories of him being a rapist, just a kidnapper.
To be fair, he got roofied by a magic arrow, and afterwards the woman he kidnapped was forced to stay with him because of bullshit rules.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Wasn't that due to an unforseen interaction with the Vore subsystem?

SardonicTyrant posted:

To be fair, he got roofied by a magic arrow, and afterwards the woman he kidnapped was forced to stay with him because of bullshit rules.

To be unfair, the kidnapping nearly caused the extinction of humanity.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 1, 2019

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Schubalts posted:

Yeah, and he didn't even do that very often. Hades got the job of ruling the underworld by chance and did it out of a sense of duty and order but wasn't nearly as much of a powertripping dick as Zeus or Poseidon, and definitely not a Satan-style tempter or god of evil. Disney's Hercules was revisionist slander :colbert:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

epenthesis posted:

Dunno, the ones I've met were kinda crazy :shrug:

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Schubalts posted:

He also got permission to marry her from her father (Zeus), never cheated on her, and went she went all crazy jealous on his previous girlfriend (mint) he let her come back to life as a plant so she didn't have to stay in the underworld with the woman that killed her.

He also occasionally let people go to resolve unfinished business, or because someone came all the way to see him and asked nicely. His domain was endless food and drink for everyone who was a decent person in life, and fitting poetic punishments for the asshats.

Definitely the coolest of the OG's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

TheAnomaly posted:

He also got permission to marry her from her father (Zeus), never cheated on her, and went she went all crazy jealous on his previous girlfriend (mint) he let her come back to life as a plant so she didn't have to stay in the underworld with the woman that killed her.

He also occasionally let people go to resolve unfinished business, or because someone came all the way to see him and asked nicely. His domain was endless food and drink for everyone who was a decent person in life, and fitting poetic punishments for the asshats.

Definitely the coolest of the OG's.

The kind of god Terry Pratchett's Death would be correct for.