Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

X-O posted:

House of X and Powers of X by Hickman announced.

Pepe Larraz and RB Silva were handpicked by Hickman to do art on them.

Hickman: Again, we're keeping alot of this under wraps. Let me just say that we have radical, radical plans for all of you. I grew up primarily a DC Comics guy; the only book I read of Marvel growing up was the X-Men. All the books I've done at Marvel up to this point, those were fantastic jobs -- but they were jobs. This is was the first book I've loved before I started doing."

Hickman: I probably haven't been more proud of anything I've worked on than this. I think all of you will be pretty jacked. We're doing some different radical stuff. Two books that'll you have to read both to stay tuned, but there's a good reason for it.

Clarifcation, the titles are House of X as in the letter "X", then Powers of X as in the roman numeral 10.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1109567300879949830

:hellyeah:

This is some great news. Man if his FF run was just a "job" then I'm looking forward to what he can do with the X-Fam. I'm hoping this ends with Peter Parker being a permanent professor at whatever school they end up making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s true. He said that when he got offered Fantastic Four he had never read the book before. Then he read every FF book, and created his chart for where he wanted to take the book.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s true. He said that when he got offered Fantastic Four he had never read the book before. Then he read every FF book, and created his chart for where he wanted to take the book.

Then he's exactly the kind of guy who should be writing X-Men, because it's probably got one of the more complicated histories of any popular comic book around.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I guess we’ll see how his personal feelings effect things.

I’m surprised Cannonball and Sunspot aren’t in the teaser image.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I guess we’ll see how his personal feelings effect things.

I’m surprised Cannonball and Sunspot aren’t in the teaser image.

Has Sunspot been in anything since they cancelled USAvengers?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Death's Head from Tini Howard announced.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1109887609424302082?s=19

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Death's Head from Tini Howard announced.

:popeye: That's going to be really dope.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How many people here skipped Infinity Wars, but will read these spin-offs just for Ewing?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I skipped Infinity Wars, but I know that every single member of BSS read the Ghost Panther two parter.

Might be a fun mini. Speaking of weird minis: How was The Best Defense, classic Defenders revival?

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
How do people here feel about the current run of Amazing Spider-Man? I only read the first issue and it was the rare book that managed to make me angry over how bad it was. Does the story improve? Is it worth picking up again?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm waiting to get through Z'darsky's run before checking it out, but I think Spencer's comic is pretty well regarded.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Skip Spencer and read Tom Taylor and Saladin Ahmed instead.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

All five ongoing Spider books (Amazing, Friendly, Superior, Miles, Gwen) are excellent so far since they began.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Speaking of Spider-books, was the Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider one any good? I checked the issues and the last one seems to be about Ben actually dying?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
It had its ups and downs, at least for me. The writing's always solid but whenever they had to tie-in to crossovers it lost me. The ending left me pretty sour since it felt like it was about to get into something good but turns out it was just setting things up for Spider-Geddon, which just wound up taking a big 'ol dump on the whole series anyways.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1109879872304959488?s=19

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This makes me happy. Never heard of her till recently and everything I've read I've really liked. Her stuff with War Monger at Valiant was really good too.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Odonata posted:

How do people here feel about the current run of Amazing Spider-Man? I only read the first issue and it was the rare book that managed to make me angry over how bad it was. Does the story improve? Is it worth picking up again?

What did you specifically not like about it? Because that might change the answer.

In my opinion, it's really good. But if not's not your thing, there's always Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Yvonmukluk posted:

What did you specifically not like about it? Because that might change the answer.

In my opinion, it's really good. But if not's not your thing, there's always Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man.

Peter being very publicly humiliated over plagerism allegations was stretching it, but at least within the realm of finding ways to ruin his life. It felt like somebody was trying too hard with the story.
Having all of New York's heroes hating him because the kingpin was nice to him was just dumb. They were being written like a pack of middle schoolers pissed off at the teacher's pet, not like people who have been dealing with a manipulative criminal mastermind for years and would be very aware of his poo poo.
Last, ESU hiring the Lizard to teach. How does that interview go? "So, Dr. Conners it says on your resume you left your last job after cannibalizing your boss and brutally raping your assistant..."
"Yesss, well, Mondayssss. You know how it issss."
"Ha! You said it, friend! How soon can you start?"

For me it all added up to the start of a very bad story, but since you and the above posters like it, I guess I'm the odd man out and it's just not the book for me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Odonata posted:

Peter being very publicly humiliated over plagerism allegations was stretching it, but at least within the realm of finding ways to ruin his life. It felt like somebody was trying too hard with the story.
Having all of New York's heroes hating him because the kingpin was nice to him was just dumb. They were being written like a pack of middle schoolers pissed off at the teacher's pet, not like people who have been dealing with a manipulative criminal mastermind for years and would be very aware of his poo poo.
Last, ESU hiring the Lizard to teach. How does that interview go? "So, Dr. Conners it says on your resume you left your last job after cannibalizing your boss and brutally raping your assistant..."

For me it all added up to the start of a very bad story, but since you and the above posters like it, I guess I'm the odd man out and it's just not the book for me.

They're ignoring all of Slotts dumb rear end lizard poo poo, which is the correct thing to do.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Odonata posted:

To be fair, they had previously established potential problems with Otto-as-Peter technically plagiarizing himself way back in Superior Spider-Man. Not to mention we got some great character moments from Peter & Aunt May.

I will sort of grant you the thing with the other heroes, but then there's always been those elements where Peter's a bit of an outsider.

Everything with Peter's life going to crap is deliberately set up to contrast with Peter getting the courage to get back together with Mary Jane and taking a proactive role in getting his life together.

As for the Lizard, while they take the (sensible, in my opinion) choice to disregard Shed in its entirety, they'd established that Connors' personality had re-established itself. And they do address that in the following issues.

The whole first arc is on Unlimited, maybe try a few more issues and see if it bears out.

But definitely try out Friendly Neighbourhood.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Oh boy...Hickman on X-Men...I guess I'd better start reading comics again.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Gatts posted:

Oh boy...Hickman on X-Men...I guess I'd better start reading comics again.

not emptyquoting

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Was Infinity Wars worth reading? Because no part of it looked interesting to me but I'm hearing stuff about universe-resets and all kinda whosits. I guess Gamora got a sword? Like what even happened?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Vince MechMahon posted:

They're ignoring all of Slotts dumb rear end lizard poo poo, which is the correct thing to do.

it was Zeb Wells that had Lizard eat his boss and his son and murder all his co-workers but the one he uses his newfound telepathy to turn into his pet. in a marketing event that him, Waid, Kelly, Guggenheim, Van Lente, and yes Slott collaborated on.

it was also coincidentally right after Peter got caught plagiarizing for the first(?) time

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 26, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nilbop posted:

Was Infinity Wars worth reading? Because no part of it looked interesting to me but I'm hearing stuff about universe-resets and all kinda whosits. I guess Gamora got a sword? Like what even happened?

It was terribly inconsequential. I think the only real big effects are that the Guardians of the Galaxy aren't the movie team anymore and Adam Warlock gives the Infinity Stones sentience so they fly off like the loving Dragon Balls. Also Thanos and Drax are dead.

Other than that you can pretty much ignore the whole thing.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The essential conceit was kind of cute. Gamora decides to follow Thanos' example of cutting the population of the universe by half, but instead of killing every other person, she just mushes everyone into mash-ups, hence the Amalgam-style minis.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

You can tell Infinity Wars was a flop because we never once combined BSS posters into Infinity Warps type characters.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You can tell Infinity Wars was a flop because we never once combined BSS posters into Infinity Warps type characters.

You missed all the Dark_Rhynotzimine rants about The Red Spider?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That's just cruel.

What did DT ever do to deserve that?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I know you're joking but there's probably some things you should know about DT

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

RUDE

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

X-O posted:

Now I’m equating Scarlet Spider with Red Hood. Thanks a lot.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Alaois posted:

I looked into this and holy poo poo

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Nilbop posted:

Probably the only consequential thing that happened was...well, it doesn't really matter because most writers had already been ignoring it before this point, but there's the thing where Drax's soul got totally and completely separated from Arthur Douglas' soul so that there's is only Drax and only Arthur Douglas from now on and they're not the same person anymore. I mean, they're both currently still in the Soul Stone or whatever, but you know that at some point Drax will be back, and when he does come back he's pretty much just going to be his movie self from now on. Which...again, most writers had been writing him that way anyway, but now it's official :airquote:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I thought the secret warps minis were decent fun but the main event story books are completely skippable

Tbh i didn't think they'd revisit it so soon

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Alaois posted:

Oh no what did he do?

Archyduchess posted:

I looked into this and holy poo poo

Nevermind I don't want to know.

Now I’m equating Scarlet Spider with Red Hood. Thanks a lot.

You're very welcome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Alaois posted:

Honestly, I forgot he does worse things than like Red Hood :aaaaa: