Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

gently caress duck, where's goose

All birds are welcome on God's own console, the Nintendo Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I’m on vacation and wish I could pick up these clearance Labo kits from target

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Astro7x posted:

I’m on vacation and wish I could pick up these clearance Labo kits from target

Head to the back of the store and check the baler.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

What do you baghavers do if you need to go to work or into a store or any other place that doesn't allow bags?

this must be an american thing

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

shoutout to anyone else who saw 'nintendo direct' trending on twitter and got excited for a sec until you looked and saw it was just people dunking on sony's bad stream thing

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Wheeee posted:

Those rules don't apply to white adults.

They do when you're talking government buildings. My laptop bag is backpack style, so I always need to ask ahead of time whenever I attend a meeting in a building I haven't been to before.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Brother Entropy posted:

shoutout to anyone else who saw 'nintendo direct' trending on twitter and got excited for a sec until you looked and saw it was just people dunking on sony's bad stream thing

The format of the presentation was fine. Just didn’t have anything new and worth taking about

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sponges posted:

why are PC gamers so obnoxious

have you seen the nintendo thread

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rename this thread the FF7 appreciation station starting tomorrow, tia.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

why what are we appreciating about it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The White Dragon posted:

That at least it isn't Assassin's Creed 3. :rimshot:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The White Dragon posted:

It's good.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

gently caress yeah

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

"..."

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"Squall is from FF8, get it right bro..." :rolleyes:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
After someone posted those machine learning cleaned up HD pixelart backgrounds I don't think I can play one of those games on an HDTV until they do something like that with a remaster or something. Just be sitting there looking at the gross blur thinking about what it could look like.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mister Facetious posted:

"Squall is from FF8, get it right bro..." :rolleyes:

"Let's Mosey"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

drat it Cloud, stop saying it like a wimp!

Can't you say 'Move out!' or somethin'?

Only game I ever maxed out the time counter on :allears:, though only because CoD mp has no limit...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Aw drat. I saw that some places were playing FF7 on Switch so I thought it would be playable for me after work.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Mega64 posted:

gently caress duck, where's goose

You're my eyes, Goose

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Imagined posted:

After someone posted those machine learning cleaned up HD pixelart backgrounds I don't think I can play one of those games on an HDTV until they do something like that with a remaster or something. Just be sitting there looking at the gross blur thinking about what it could look like.

Yeah they're only good and imo intended for portable play. If you're gonna play on a TV, why not play it on an emulator with those sweet high res mods?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I found FFIX to look just fine in handheld mode. Still noticeably a game from the 90s but the backgrounds weren't as jarring as they are on a TV.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Necrodancer owns. I stopped playing for a bit and pulled out my phone and found myself trying to scroll through the awful app to the beat from the game that is now permanently stuck in my head.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I hope the revision, if it's real, comes with 'meatier' joycons. the lil' buttons and analog stick are too dainty.

I held a PS4 controller for the first time in months and it felt insanely good after playing handheld only.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
And if they really make a version that's not detachable they better make those analog sticks better than the pieces of poo poo on the drat joycons.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Detective No. 27 posted:

Aw drat. I saw that some places were playing FF7 on Switch so I thought it would be playable for me after work.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Alex Kidd, cool.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Am I supposed to be concerned with the rumored new models if I'm a handheld-only person? If anything I'd like better performance handheld, but eh

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag_PYIwclzo

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I couldn’t get into it since most of their exclusives did nothing for me. Yakuza and Persona are dope though and I’d love to see them on Switch.

PS4 was my Uncharted box that became my Yakuza box. (Although King of Fighters exclusivity at the time sealed the deal for me.)

Switch is my Nintendo games box that also became my 'Indie games I ment to pick up 2 years ago but forgot till now' box. (As evidenced by me picking up Thimbleweed Park in that sale. Pretty good point and clicker till it kinda falls apart in the last 1/5th.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Reminder that Nvidia never made a successor to the X1 and they exited the hand held market entirely and pivoted to car self driving systems and infotainment systems. It's unlikely that Nintendo would substitute a different ARM SoC in there since they are likely using a lot of Nvidia specific graphical optimizations. The X1 really isn't a candidate for a die shrink either since it's currently a 4 year old design that's not being actively developed anymore.

A "Pro" variant would likely just be one with a larger/better screen. A thicker footprint might also allow for a larger battery and better cooling that would allow it to run in docked performance mode while handheld.

There is more performance to be extracted out of the X1, but it's all about manipulating the power consumption and thermal envelop of the chip and there are likely hard limits what they could achieve in hand held mode without making it too unwieldy.

So, I see two "pro" options:

Larger 1080p screen (smaller bezels to keep the form factor approximately the same) with larger battery and better thermal management so you can run in docked performance mode all the time.

or

Something akin to a Shield TV console, allowing for better cooling and more power consumption so they can clock the chip higher. I would say that's unlikely though since it kinda ruins the whole "switch" aspect.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 26, 2019

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Imagined posted:

And if they really make a version that's not detachable they better make those analog sticks better than the pieces of poo poo on the drat joycons.

the wii u sticks felt better imo.

speaking of controllers, does anyone else have problems with their pro controller registering a left or right as up? I haven't got brutish ogre hands but it keeps happening.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

bull3964 posted:

Reminder that Nvidia never made a successor to the X1 and they exited the hand held market entirely and pivoted to car self driving systems and infotainment systems. It's unlikely that Nintendo would substitute a different ARM SoC in there since they are likely using a lot of Nvidia specific graphical optimizations. The X1 really isn't a candidate for a die shrink either since it's currently a 4 year old design that's not being actively developed anymore.

A "Pro" variant would likely just be one with a larger/better screen. A thicker footprint might also allow for a larger battery and better cooling that would allow it to run in docked performance mode while handheld.

There is more performance to be extracted out of the X1, but it's all about manipulating the power consumption and thermal envelop of the chip and there are likely hard limits what they could achieve in hand held mode without making it too unwieldy.

So, I see two "pro" options:

Larger 1080p screen (smaller bezels to keep the form factor approximately the same) with larger battery and better thermal management so you can run in docked performance mode all the time.

or

Something akin to a Shield TV console, allowing for better cooling and more power consumption so they can clock the chip higher. I would say that's unlikely though since it kinda ruins the whole "switch" aspect.

What if

2 X1s (duct taped together)

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I just saw FF7 Redux in the shop and LMAO it's not updated at all, it's still blocks with jagged parts.

I figured after 15 years of people demanding it they'd at least make it look like the PS3 era games.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Why stop there. X1 in each joycon and one in the main unit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I just saw FF7 Redux in the shop and LMAO it's not updated at all, it's still blocks with jagged parts.

I figured after 15 years of people demanding it they'd at least make it look like the PS3 era games.

They're doing a full remake, theoretically, it just won't be out till like 2024... conservatively

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I like FF7s janky charm :kiddo:
If those horrifying mobile ports of FF6 are any indication of what an update looks like I'd rather stick the the low res stuff.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Final Fantasy 7 should be remastered, not remade.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Elderbean posted:

I like FF7s janky charm :kiddo:
If those horrifying mobile ports of FF6 are any indication of what an update looks like I'd rather stick the the low res stuff.

Oh yeah, I mean, I love simple artwork stuff, too. I'm just kind of amazed that the most over hyped game in the industry, from a studio that loves jerking itself off over graphics, stuck with ultra-simplistic 90's polygon art.

Like I would have bet solid money on it looking at least like the new Resident Evil 2.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

They're doing a full remake, theoretically, it just won't be out till like 2024... conservatively

Ah, well, nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh the reason there isn't a remaster is because all their source code got hosed in the 90s, lost or corrupted. They can only basically make this game as a port of the PC version which itself is pretty hosed, or wrapped in an emulator.