Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

cold definitely isn't useless on a riven. i have a paracesis one with cold built in which helps out a viral/slash build which you might as well build for on the thing along with whatever stacks of crit you can get going. the thing is kind of a tankbuster with a handle as it is since it can easily have a riven and umbral mods crammed into it after a couple forma, but, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Neither of the two main sources I go to for builds recommends a slash build for the Tysis; I have some suspicions on why this might be (probably something to do with how slash damage is calculated) but I don't want to say "definitely not" until I do a bit more research.

what are these btw?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

StashAugustine posted:

what are these btw?

Cephalon Wannabe's Tier List: https://www.cephalonwannab.com/

Pros: frequently updated, written with high-level content in mind
Cons: written with high-level content in mind in a game where 90% of the time you're fighting chumps, tier explanations are terse and build explanations non-existent

Leyzar Gaming Views: https://www.youtube.com/user/LeyzarGamingViews

Pros: newbie-friendly, explains his choices in exhaustive detail, points out quality-of-life alternatives to max damage
Cons: has an irrational hatred of hunter munitions, sometimes avoids expensive mods even if they're good, takes 20 minutes to explain himself

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 26, 2019

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i use the cephalon one a lot but it gets old having 90% of recommended builds be viral/hunmun

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Awesome! posted:

i use the cephalon one a lot but it gets old having 90% of recommended builds be viral/hunmun

that's because hunter munitions is broken good and the kind of thing that would get nerfed, if this were a game where nerfs and buffs related to power and not just to popularity

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

"what if instead of having to choose between two primary models for dealing damage, each of which is meant to be roughly as good as the other, you could have both for a negligible cost?"

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I just think the riven is bad because the Tysis is an amazingly terrible weapon, not even bad in a funny way like the Stug. Even the Hystrix at least has a cool gimmick going for it.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Awesome! posted:

The other reason a ton of them are viral is that primary weapons have Primed Cryo Rounds which is too good of a damage boost and Blast/Magnetic too focused of a damage type to really build around general use (Blast owns but needs 4x corpro), so Viral's your best generalist on primaries.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sure you could. Stick it in the weekly alerts section with Maroo and Clem, and leave it up for a comparable length of time.

I think this is the disconnect. I'm talking about the current Nightwave vs how alerts used to work. Having this other hypothetical alert system, where it's the old alerts plus the extra rewards in a do-it-whenever-you-want fashion that also doesn't gate things off from new players... well of course that's objectively better for everyone getting loot. That would also mean I (and most of the goons on discord) would grind it all out in a week and then stop playing for nine weeks due to lack of content.

You could argue that engagement as a metric is an evil corporate marketing thing, and it kind of is, but it's an MMO so that's part and parcel of the service.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Where do I need to be for the Fortuna quest line? I barely beat the first and the sheer number of enemies and amount of damage overwhelmed me in the second.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Where do I need to be for the Fortuna quest line? I barely beat the first and the sheer number of enemies and amount of damage overwhelmed me in the second.

you probably want a solidly built frame and weapon at the least. nothing super fancy, but it's good to be able to hold your own for a bit and if you can't manage that then fortuna as a whole might be tricky if you want to do bounties and/or let the alarm level go up out there. the open world zones are available early but in some aspects they're not super friendly to new players. fortuna even less so than the plains, the latter being fairly alright as long as you're not messing around at night too much. one of the more important things for newer players to do is to just unlock junctions and get access to more of the starchart, which is kind of at odds with the shiny new open world places being accessible not that long after starting.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Fortuna mobs are a tad overtuned, even at low levels. Some more details could help us out. What frame are you using and what others are available to you? What weapons? What's your mastery rank? Have you received the mod starter kit from goonchat?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

The fortuna quest is kinda hard and you need to be well prepared for it. Also you cant do it with clan mates or pubbies so you are on your own. A good tanky frame like rhino or nezha and a good gun that can take out lots of mooks at range (atmos if they are clumped up and close or a soma to just spray all over). Assuming everything is potatoed or fitted with the basic mods (non flawed).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

Fortuna mobs are a tad overtuned, even at low levels. Some more details could help us out. What frame are you using and what others are available to you? What weapons? What's your mastery rank? Have you received the mod starter kit from goonchat?
Excalibur, Mastery 1, Braton, Kunai (going to change to Bronco soon), Skara

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Go around unlocking junctions and cooking new frames instead for now. Also ask in clan/alliance chat for a started kit.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

FactsAreUseless posted:

yeah, you are pretty outclassed there. if you're playing on pc i rec joining the goon clan and getting some assistance to help you leapfrog up a bit.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also glad to know others find them overtuned, I was like WTF the first time one of the kicky Moa oneshot me

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, you are pretty outclassed there. if you're playing on pc i rec joining the goon clan and getting some assistance to help you leapfrog up a bit.
I'm on PS4

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it took me awhile before i could do the opening quest for fortuna. cetus is slightly easier if you dont go out at night (or just stay away from the dudes you cant kill yet)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think there's some people on ps4 but i don't know the status on them in general. but yeah, it's not so much the specific gear you have as it is that you probably don't have decent mods that are decently leveled yet, with catalysts/reactors in them as well to double the mod capacity. i definitely rec hooking up with some goons in some form or another and maybe getting some mods gifted to you since we're generally awash in a bunch of helpful stuff that we don't need more copies of at this point.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think there's some people on ps4 but i don't know the status on them in general. but yeah, it's not so much the specific gear you have as it is that you probably don't have decent mods that are decently leveled yet, with catalysts/reactors in them as well to double the mod capacity. i definitely rec hooking up with some goons in some form or another and maybe getting some mods gifted to you since we're generally awash in a bunch of helpful stuff that we don't need more copies of at this point.
I have mods and the resources to upgrade them, I don't have the ranks on my weapons yet

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mailer posted:

I think this is the disconnect. I'm talking about the current Nightwave vs how alerts used to work. Having this other hypothetical alert system, where it's the old alerts plus the extra rewards in a do-it-whenever-you-want fashion that also doesn't gate things off from new players... well of course that's objectively better for everyone getting loot. That would also mean I (and most of the goons on discord) would grind it all out in a week and then stop playing for nine weeks due to lack of content.

You could argue that engagement as a metric is an evil corporate marketing thing, and it kind of is, but it's an MMO so that's part and parcel of the service.

The game thrived for six years without this level of bullshit. A reason to log in every month or two (on top of the already-existing reasons to log in daily, I might add!) is as much a good reason to come back as it is to do everything and quit, and moreover, games shouldn't be designed to demand exclusive access to your time and we shouldn't make excuses for them when they do.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, check the console Warframe thread, would be glad to assist in PS4

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think they kind of have to be judicious about what they do change because it costs money to push patches to console builds

They didn't push a patch to the consoles, the change was in place when I logged in on the Switch today. It was a data tweak and not even one that was pushed to us through the login screen download process (which they have an agreement with Nintendo on that lets them bypass cert).

I suspect given how it silently updated that Nightwave uses the same system used by Alerts to distribute missions dynamically from DE to us - no patches needed to change the missions.

Consoles have nothing to do with their reasons to not change Nightwave. Lots of possible reasons for why they wouldn't change it for 10 weeks, but I'm going with they want to see the numbers on how people engaged with their low-dev-effort high-player-engagement system.

Mailer posted:

The part I don't get is wanting alerts back. Like if you don't have much time to play I respect that. In that case, this system is better

If I don't have much time to play, it's all the more important I play what I want to play and not run through a list of missions selected by DE for me to play. This is very much not an improvement for those with no time - it's great for those with a lot of time because they can do NW and whatever else they want to do in the game.

quote:

because the stuff you'd miss out on - taters, nitain, choice cosmetics - is now point buy 24/7 and you can get whatever you want. An extremely lean average of 10k a week gets you 30 nitain (or a tater and 5 nitain, or whatever you want to spend your creds on), two weapon slots, a warframe slot, a noggle, 3 forma, and an emote. All this is regardless of when you log in and constitutes a trivial amount of effort.

Effort may not be the right metric - this isn't a job. Time available to play a game and being able to choose how you use that time for your enjoyment is a better one.

Going over your list of what's available at 10K a week. I was averaging close to a potato every week I played and all the nitain I needed organically modulo possibly a 2-3 day wait for the latter. Now you can get 1 tater/5 nitain or 30 nitain in 10 weeks. This is a big change.

That linear tiered reward list is a big part of the problem: instead of an unreliable alert system that fired stuff at the wrong times sometimes I now have to spend time grinding through stuff I don't need (emotes) to get to the thing I cannot progress without (nitain).

The limited use currency is another problem in itself. If you missed 2 weeks of alerts, you "lost" nothing: you'll get the same things 2 weeks later is all. With the currency limited to a specific 10 week window, 2 weeks away from the game is 2 weeks of currency you can never get.

None of these are problems if you have a lot of time to spend on the game or alternatively, you're happy with or looking for DE providing the script for what to do in the game.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
As someone on the "has too much time to spend" end of the power curve distribution, the nightwave systems rewards are - with the exception of being on demand or odd windfalls like the ayatan gold rush - extremely poor compared to old alerts. I've never bought a tater with wolf creds and probably never will, despite having a dozen frames and companions without reactors and dozens of weapons yearning for a blutato, while i could consistently pick up 2-3 per week previously. I've completely used up my stock of Corpro to gift to beginners, and now that's not only competing with taters but also dozens of nitain i still have to buy. And that's with me being lucky enough to having picked up 95% of the helmets i wanted from old alerts. Now straight up plat-purchase is depressingly the best option for both taters and auras (which have also shot up like crazy on the market).

I can't speak to how it looks like on the "i got just enough spare time to play this game 2-3 times for an hour an evening each week" side, doubly so if you've been avoiding certain parts like cetus/SU ranks, but i can't imagine it being much better there. As a new player during old alerts you could always be taxi'd and be done in 10 minutes, now sometimes you're just hosed. The much lauded "finally a way to get warframe and weapon slots without having to pay plat!" thing is a joke because it hands out 32p worth of slots over the course of 10 weeks. The "FOMO" part of the seasonal reward schedule and sequential structure is also terrible.

The actual "quests" i think are way more interesting than old alerts, and nobody misses those "1 neurode" or "6000 credit" rewards. But they gotta take some lessons from this first season because i think in that aspect it's a noticeable step down for the majority of players and frustrating in many more ways than the old "oh no, i slept/worked through a potato alert" - which will also still happen when they currently pop up as invasion rewards.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 26, 2019

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, there are parts of the system that are cool. But there's a lot that doesn't work well right now. The missions where it's like "hey sit here for 40 minutes" and poo poo are annoying, and can't be terribly accessible if you're not a shut-in nerd with no life like me.

Plus, as someone who has too much time and thus has a bunch of stuff, most of the rewards are "meh", at least until we get to Arcane Energize/Umbral Forma town. Meanwhile, people who have less time probably desperately need those taters or forma, but don't have the time to get to them. It's not really working for either group.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Nightwave sucks because the armor is the last tier and besides umbral forma it’s literally all I want from it, and I have jobs and a wife who would like me to spend time with her every now and then and instead of running 40-wave defenses and hour-long survivals

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The aura and nightmare mod changes are particularly bad. Sucks for new players who want them when compared to how even I, who started at the end of Nov, would routinely skip a Lethal Torrent alert because they were so common and I already had a couple on hand if someone needed it. Lethal Torrent is in the hard nightmare drop list, so you're not getting one now till late in the star chart and the grind is not going to be easy if you're a new player just hitting those missions.

Good luck getting Blaze or Hammer Shot, which are now solely a 1% drop from nightmare missions. I know Hammer Shot gets sneered at a lot, but it's a very good mod for how early and easily you used to be able to get it as a new player.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Exalted Blade really punches above its weight

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The game thrived for six years without this level of bullshit. A reason to log in every month or two (on top of the already-existing reasons to log in daily, I might add!) is as much a good reason to come back as it is to do everything and quit, and moreover, games shouldn't be designed to demand exclusive access to your time and we shouldn't make excuses for them when they do.

Pretty much this. Like I said in my previous post, if they changed it to where creds wouldn't disappear (they could even cap them like void traces if they're worried about people stockpiling too many of them for future crap they plan to let you redeem with them), they saved your progress when the series rotated, and you could continue where you left off when that series rotates back in, this would add something else to do but wouldn't demand a large swath of time; instead it merely encourages you to do the things, but if you don't do the things, it'll be there when it comes around next time. Right now if you're a player cutting off in the middle of a series (for any variety of reasons you might have to do so) basically cuts off all your progress you made previously on the rank/reward chart once the series resets. The design reeks of trying to push this engaged login metric in a reliable, replicable, low dev resource intensive way.

I don't have a problem with Nightwave itself; more stuff to do is great, more ways to get rewards is great; I just have a problem with the way it's currently designed, and there's no reason it can't be another faction bar + faction credit system that can be rotated in every 6 or 8 months along with the other series so that those putting in the time get access to the rewards now rather than later, just like most of the other rewards in Warframe.

Here's hoping they do something along those lines.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Since trying a new weapon is such an investment, what's the best way to see them demo'd or find out what they do?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Since trying a new weapon is such an investment, what's the best way to see them demo'd or find out what they do?

unfortunately there's not really a way to try things out, which the game sorely needs to be honest. if nothing else checking out youtube vids can be the only real way, but even those carry the risk of the player showing them off being weird about it and purely basing things off of whether it can easily handle the top tier of combat.

a really good bit of news for you, though, is that on wednesday the anniversary stuff will happen which will give out a set of fully built, good as hell weapons that already have catalysts in them and come in their own weapon slots. they should be a massive boon over the starter crap you have now.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Even as an MR21 it feels like I am spending all of my time doing nightwave and I don't have any time to progress my character. I haven't done any profit taker yet, not even nearly enough hunting, syndicates, saving up ducats for Baro, void traces and corrupted mods; and on top of that there's fractures this week as well.

It's just too much. I feel demotivated and burned out, and when a game makes me feel like that it makes me actively not want to play it.

I was here too and just deciding to skip out entirely on NW has let me keep playing, for what it's worth. I now only do the stuff that seems interesting and other stuff that can be fun because clan mates are doing them, but that's it.

It ain't much but it's a living when it comes to getting enough nitain to keep playing the bits of the game I do like.

If they'd simply make nitain tradeable I could ignore NW altogether, but I'm not holding out hope for that.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's no "try this stuff in a simulacrum style setting" and it kinda sucks. You either skim the wiki article, watch youtube build videos (which could be outdated, using mods/rivens worth thousands of plat or entirely aimed at 2 hour arby survival crap) or ask people in clan chat on their opinions, which are obviously varied and highly subjective and ymmv.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The only non-Skara weapon I've invested in is the Dual Ether and I don't have the morphics for that yet.

Good to know about the Wednesday stuff though!

Edit: nevermind, I got a third morphics in that last mission, so a I'll have them tomorrow along with my Bronco and Furis

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

RoadCrewWorker posted:

The "FOMO" part of the seasonal reward schedule and sequential structure is also terrible.

I think this is still the root of it all. Not time played, nitain/week, or the activities themselves. You go back to alerts and you ditch the tiered rewards and now there's no more FOMO because who cares about missing an alert.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Mailer posted:

I think this is still the root of it all. Not time played, nitain/week, or the activities themselves. You go back to alerts and you ditch the tiered rewards and now there's no more FOMO because who cares about missing an alert.
I don't think it's that simple, there's more factors to it that they can (and should) tweak. And people caring about alerts they missed and complaining about it being "pay2sleep" constantly was like a major part of why nightwave even happened in the first place.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 26, 2019

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I kind of think that if we got a trickle of nightwave bucks either with captures or with every tier, and if most of the meaningful rewards were early on in the tier reward list, that alone would alleviate a lot of the fomo feeling. Even better would be guaranteeing weeklies were fairly easily accessible to new players. Even better if the entire lot of nightwave tasks stayed around for the entire duration of the event, just building up over time as they're added like now. This would let people get all of the nice new poo poo in a couple weeks, or four or five with a limited amount of play, and if we got the trickle of coins this would help with the inflation in auras and the lack of potatoes.

I think the real crime is the alert mods that are now way more rare than they use to be. Those, and maybe reactors and catalysts, ought to be made more available through means outside of nightwave. Like maybe increasing the frequency of invasions with those rewards.

BeAuMaN posted:

Like I said in my previous post, if they changed it to where creds wouldn't disappear (they could even cap them like void traces if they're worried about people stockpiling too many of them for future crap they plan to let you redeem with them), they saved your progress when the series rotated, and you could continue where you left off when that series rotates back in, this would add something else to do but wouldn't demand a large swath of time

This would be pretty great and I hope something like this happens.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ideally we would get something like old events, more frequently, on top of a much nicer and less Play Me stressful version of nightwave.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
It'd be cool if you got to choose one thing from a pool of tier-up rewards every time you hit a new one; then you could prioritize the stuff you wanted and everything else would be gravy.

"Rare" rewards at tier 10/20/30/etc.(?): Umbral forma, WoSS armor bits, Arcane Energize. The real good stuff.
"Uncommon" rewards at tier 5/15/25 and every tier after 30: Everything that doesn't fit in the common and rare tiers. Mods, emotes, K-Drive scrawls, glyphs, sigils, etc.
"Common" rewards at every other tier: Weapon slots, 3x Forma, Wolf Creds, prebuilt Catalysts. The currency for the current Nightwave, plus the more essential things people are perpetually in need of.

Maybe have a cap on how many times you can pick a particular common-tier reward. Rare and uncommon rewards would be one-time-only, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Anyone got a sweet loadout for the Prisma Gremlins? The nailguns are fun.