Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

DC Murderverse posted:

I've been trying to think about the significance of all of the VHS tapes on the shelf at the beginning and some are obviously easier than others but i think this:

is worth thinking about. Perhaps the whole "government run secret program" and classrooms/lab setting is a warped manifestation of The Right Stuff (a movie about a government program that in large strokes would have been similar to whatever program was using that space underground

I would probably go further. The opening scene is a girl staring into a television while a Hands Across America commercial plays juxtaposed against a bunch of cloned rabbits contained in cages in a classroom. Seems like it could be suggesting that there's an entire population of people who were raised and educated on TV (across America) and put into cages as a result. It sets up the class allegory. Compare her to the successful version of Adelaide that we see early in the movie. She's involved in her kids' lives, limits their screen time, plays games with them. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clearly the moral of Us is when it comes time to take revenge do it fast. Don't try to be clever, don't play long drawn out head games, just loving stab them in the throat and murder them at the first available opportunity. If Red had done that she wouldn't have ended up back in that bunker bleeding out.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
Just saw it last night and giddily loved every minute, even though I was initially a bit annoyed by the twist, and the brain hemorrhage you get when trying to logically tie everything together. BUT,

The last shot of the Tethered wall stretched out for miles reminded me so much of a Junji Ito style visual, it immediately brought to mind other similarities between Peele's and Ito's work. Both have an eye for strong and utterly unique/memorable horror visuals, a knack for metaphorical/fantasy realism storytelling, and a tendency to seemingly build a loose framework of a plot to support the other two things they have a greater interest in. Through that lens the film became less frustrating by far, and I might even prefer it to Get Out in the long run if only in superficial terms just for the sheer imagination on display. I'm definitely gonna get a rewatch in as soon as possible.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

The Government science project has been shutdown since 1986 as Red doesn't see them. What is generating new clones now then? Because the kids have clones then something created them after the science project ended.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Raccooon posted:

The Government science project has been shutdown since 1986 as Red doesn't see them. What is generating new clones now then? Because the kids have clones then something created them after the science project ended.

Probably some weird luck of the draw that sometimes works, given the twins have darker hair compared to their surface equivalents. Maybe the whole tethering plays with those odds, too. It's probably best to not think about it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Raccooon posted:

Isn't there a "whatever you guys up there do, happens down here" thing going on? I got the vague implication that her talking early on about the shadow having monsters with a Brute, or whatever meant that the topside people had kids, so the Tethered down there had the same Tethered children

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Lots and lots of rape!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

On the beach scene,

why does the frisbee with the star on the twister board trigger adelaide?

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?
It really just hit me how odd it is that one of the doubles had two perfectly well-adjusted kids with a human. I guess that fits with the class metaphors but makes less sense within the world of the film where they're weird semi-human science experiments.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

warez posted:

It really just hit me how odd it is that one of the doubles had two perfectly well-adjusted kids with a human. I guess that fits with the class metaphors but makes less sense within the world of the film where they're weird semi-human science experiments.

Well I mean their bodies are just fine, it's just their souls that are weird.

Speaking of weird souls: I wonder if Adelaide killing her copy damaged her soul in some way?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

On the beach scene,

I think because it's an incredible coincidence - a perfect coincidence, like the moon perfectly overlapping the sun - which heralds what comes next.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

On the beach scene,

The frisbee lands perfectly on one circle. A lone red dot in the middle of the otherwise perfect blue pattern.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Young Freud posted:

Probably some weird luck of the draw that sometimes works, given the twins have darker hair compared to their surface equivalents. Maybe the whole tethering plays with those odds, too. It's probably best to not think about it.

Hair gets lighter when in the sun.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

speaking of the twins, such a chilling moment when the tethered one shows up in the frame out of nowhere to stab the girl in the neck.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bert of the Forest posted:

The last shot of the Tethered wall stretched out for miles reminded me so much of a Junji Ito style visual, it immediately brought to mind other similarities between Peele's and Ito's work. Both have an eye for strong and utterly unique/memorable horror visuals, a knack for metaphorical/fantasy realism storytelling, and a tendency to seemingly build a loose framework of a plot to support the other two things they have a greater interest in. Through that lens the film became less frustrating by far, and I might even prefer it to Get Out in the long run if only in superficial terms just for the sheer imagination on display. I'm definitely gonna get a rewatch in as soon as possible.

I've seen someone else mention Junji Ito, I hadn't thought about that but there is definitely something. Wonder if Peele has ever cited him as an influence.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I've just realized how much I would have loved a Peele re-adaptation of Coraline of all things.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bert of the Forest posted:

A lot of the Tethered's faces (bug eyes, ear-to-ear smiles, that face the twins' Tethered made, smiling with almost rolled-back eyes) looked super Ito-esque, now that you mention it. I wonder if Peele showed them panels to imitate.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

I've just realized how much I would have loved a Peele re-adaptation of Coraline of all things.

I'm gonna need a remake of The People Under The Stairs first, please

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm gonna need a remake of The People Under The Stairs first, please

That film is perfect why would you want it remade?

I am of course speaking of the TV edit.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

warez posted:

I've heard a theory that it's not the tethered that are messed up in any genetic/physical way, it's where they are that messes them up. By switching and living in the "normal" world Adelaide is allowed to become "normal" and Red becomes more like the tethered as she spends her life underground.I think it makes a lot of sense given that Red tells her they're human just like them at some point in the movie and I think the movie overall is about how our environment shapes us.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Living your whole life underground eating rabbits fucks you up? Wow, so deep

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

looked at my phone earlier at 11:11. rip.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I think I would have liked the movie more without so much humor interjected. Gabe’s character was the equivalent of trying to watch a movie in a theater and an annoying teenager is in the background making stupid comments and trying to be funny while something serious is on screen. It just sucked the suspense out of the movie for me. Even the boat scene he’s tripping over himself and being “wacky”.

The Tyler family did the humor a little better because they weren’t a part of THE plot so it was a good time to breathe during the house scene but yeah.

Lupita and Tim Heidecker were great, the rest was pretty run of the mill to me.

Also, and I know this detail is not important at all but I had to say it, as a rabbit owner myself, I wasn’t laughing or wondering about how they were being fed- I was laughing at how NEAT the floor was. With dozens and dozens of rabbits around and NO poo poo on the floor, that’s impressive!

7/10 for me- I was entertained, it was well shot, and Lupita did an excellent job- but the story was pretty meh, even if there’s tons of symbolism- I didn’t really CARE about what it meant, the script was pretty meh, and the humor really annoyed me.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

somnambulist posted:

Also, and I know this detail is not important at all but I had to say it, as a rabbit owner myself, I wasn’t laughing or wondering about how they were being fed- I was laughing at how NEAT the floor was. With dozens and dozens of rabbits around and NO poo poo on the floor, that’s impressive!

can't poo poo if you don't eat

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
In before alan_shore asked how the bad guys poop in their world.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
The real breakout star of the film, for me, was Winston Duke's thighs.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Maybe they eat the poop.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tired Moritz posted:

I was about to respond to his last post, thanks for the warning, lol.

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

After having some "soak time": The attendant at the booth where Adelaide's dad won the Thriller shirt is wearing one of the Black Flag T-shirts featured in the film - That particular shirt (the light blue one) is from the "My War" album.

Black Flag - My War

My war you're one of them
You say that you're my friend
But you're one of them
You don't want to see me live

You don't want me to give
'Cause you're one of them

But you're one of them
I might not know what a friend is
All I know is what you're not
'Cause you're one of them

But you're one of them
I have a prediction, it lives in my brain

It's with me every day, it drives me insane
I feel it in my heart, that if I has a gun
I feel it in my heart,
I'd want to kill some

I feel it in my heart, the end will come
Come on! My war you're one of them
But you're one of them
Tell me that I'm wrong
Try to sing me your ego song
You're one of them

But you're one of them

My War

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28NZ8cEFHgY

Serious Party Gods fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 26, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I really enjoyed this as the socio-economic parable pairing to Get Out's racial one. I like that the movie stayed small and tight and the performances were great across the board. Sound design and score were really loving great too, the use of the song in the climactic scene was up there with the club fight in Blade Runner 2049.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Tired Moritz posted:

Lol listen, it's just one more thing added to the mountain of plot holes. Like I'd forgive the rabbit thing if that was the only problem, but with everything else it's just another example of how little thought was put into everything.

I didn't even think about the bathroom situation but it's true! Did they have working toilets? Why was everything so clean?

The way to fix the whole film is get rid of the government thing, make it a creepy cavern, make the tethered shadow people or something and just don't loving explain it, job done

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Alan_Shore posted:

Lol listen, it's just one more thing added to the mountain of plot holes. Like I'd forgive the rabbit thing if that was the only problem, but with everything else it's just another example of how little thought was put into everything.

I didn't even think about the bathroom situation but it's true! Did they have working toilets? Why was everything so clean?

The way to fix the whole film is get rid of the government thing, make it a creepy cavern, make the tethered shadow people or something and just don't loving explain it, job done

I gotta agree with this honestly, them being from a “shadow realm” is a lot more interesting and easier to digest than government project where they’re just ......there walking around mindless until the “shadow messiah” who is actually......a human shows up and she now has beef with the actual shadow person, who by the way had children with a human man and what does that make the kids and wtf.

It just makes it needlessly complicated.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ya’ll gotta start reading more ufo conspiracy theories lmao

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Alan_Shore posted:

you're trying too hard

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I saw a movie recently called The Hole in the Ground that also deals with evil doppelgangers. The answer to where the doppelgangers come from is... they come from a hole in the ground. That's a film that hits the sweet spot when it needs to explain the freaky poo poo, because it doesn't stop for a lecture and only concerns itself with the main conflict. Us would have been improved if both of Red's monologues were pared down to the bare essentials, and if her voice wasn't so hilarious.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 27, 2019

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
The longer I sit with this film, the more I like it and the less I think we're looking at "plot holes".

The questions people bring up are apt: Where are the lab work stations? There should be surveillance cameras and clipboards and pens and discarded paper. Who feeds the rabbits? If the experiment is over how come there's a clone Jason? Where did they get the suits and the scissors?

So either Jordan Peele is a hack fraud who didn't think through his script OR those details don't matter. Why wouldn't they matter? Because the Underground is a nightmare space, a liminal space perhaps, a Lynchian nowhere where Bad poo poo Happens. The Tethered have clones of Adelaide's family because the Underground conjures shadows of people above. Why is it full of rabbits? Because the Underground is just full of rabbits. Where is the lab? There's no lab, it's an infinitely long nightmare hallway. Red's speech at the end (which I initially disliked) makes no sense because she doesn't know what she's talking about. Even in the text of the film she's no expert on the Underground. She was a scared 6 year old raised with nightmare reflections of her old world trying to make sense of Hell.

Now, it's perfectly fine to not PREFER that kind of story, but I think calling it a "plot hole" is just post-YouTube Critic unhelpfulness at this point. It's nightmare logic and it creeps me out whenever I think about it.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Ending spoilers:

Its interesting the number of people who accept Red’s explanation of clones despite it contradicting most of the evidence in the film. For those of you that are accepting her explanation, but don’t think it makes sense, why are you accepting it? One of the earlier scenes has a character talking about the government conspiracy to use fluoride for mind control. That’s evidence that we’re not intended to blindly accept a government conspiracy explanation, unless you believe fluoride in the water actually results in mind control.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

you're trying too hard

I don't get what you mean. I'm not saying anything controversial, my views echo the majority of this thread. Maybe you should try harder?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Clearly Alan is a tethered trying to gently caress discussion on this documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Alan, why is the hotel in The Shining haunted?