Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Resting Lich Face posted:

Anyone who buys remastered games is an idiot getting fleeced.

Actually it's pretty cool and good to be able to play all those old games that require downloading patches and trickery to even get started because they run based off code that doesn't exist in windows anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

poverty goat posted:

Glad to hear that game culture has finally achieved parity with sports culture

Isn't one of the main issues that hobby journalism is made up of all the people who weren't cool enough to get into real journalism but still have rich enough parents to afford living in the Bay Area or NYC while writing about video games for poo poo pay and after a few years have become bored with it and absolutely desperate to write about The Real Issues so they can justify their college debt, which they suck at even moreso than mainstream journalism does

Also, Super Ghosts 'n' Goblins is the Dark Souls of platformers

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, Super Ghosts 'n' Goblins is the Dark Souls of platformers

I think you'll find there's a significant difference in that Dark Souls is kinda fair

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ChazTurbo posted:

Cup head is kind of a bland shoot me up once you look past the nice art.

Didn't you hear? Graphics are more important than gameplay

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've never used the mute function on twitter but I've now muted the word "sekiro" and its much nicer.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

FoolyCharged posted:

Actually it's pretty cool and good to be able to play all those old games that require downloading patches and trickery to even get started because they run based off code that doesn't exist in windows anymore.

square is really bad at remaking their own games

secret of mana
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ6o0jZSrCk

final fantasy 6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZevK81DgOWc&t=171s

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
At least the SoM remake used alternate camera angles and stuff. The ff6 remake looks to be a strait downgrade, impressive in it's shame.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

this isn't an opinion but i just found out micolash in bloodborne is a sorta-pun about nicolas cage in the wicker man and it's just delightful

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I wish linear F/TPS were still popular. After Half Life they made a load of great ones and barring the new DOOM games, everything seems to have to be an open world game with skill trees and RPG points and stuff. I just want to go from A to B shooting fun guns :(

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

StabMasterArson posted:

I wish linear F/TPS were still popular. After Half Life they made a load of great ones and barring the new DOOM games, everything seems to have to be an open world game with skill trees and RPG points and stuff. I just want to go from A to B shooting fun guns :(

Metro 2033 and last light, half of metro exodus

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

poverty goat posted:

Metro 2033 and last light, half of metro exodus

I played the first Metro game and it was good, played Metro Exodus and was bored to tears before the game started proper. Maybe I'll try Last Light then

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

StabMasterArson posted:

Y'all didn't buy Max Payne 3

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

StabMasterArson posted:

I played the first Metro game and it was good, played Metro Exodus and was bored to tears before the game started proper. Maybe I'll try Last Light then

Mexodus is great once you escape the 1 hour interactive intro cutscene and the open world bits are, if anything, a case study in how to do a good job on an open world game without filling it with busywork and making it tedious

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Y'all didn't buy Max Payne 3

Such an amazing game

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

StabMasterArson posted:

Such an amazing game

gently caress yes it is

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Resting Lich Face posted:

Anyone who buys remastered games is an idiot getting fleeced.

i can play mario 3, mario world, mario 64, the NES zelda 2, every genesis sonic game, and every gba megaman game on my ds, which rules imo

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Max payne 3 commits the gravest of sins.

unskippable cutscenes

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

StabMasterArson posted:

you should really push past the long intro in Exodus. By the time you get to the first big area it gets awesome and stays awesome for about 30 more hours till the end. But also play Last Light.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ocean Book posted:

i can play mario 3, mario world, mario 64, the NES zelda 2, every genesis sonic game, and every gba megaman game on my ds, which rules imo

wait all the MMBN games? i know there was a zero collection and mmbn5 port but are the others downloadable on the eshop or something???

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

unskippable cutscenes

It also changes what weapons you were holding at the end of cutscenes and the "now loading" indicator is a lie

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Barudak posted:

It also changes what weapons you were holding at the end of cutscenes and the "now loading" indicator is a lie

The gameplay itself was so loving solid though. I wish the multiplayer had lasted a bit longer.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

StabMasterArson posted:

Pick up Serious Sam. Plus number 4 is on the way.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bioshock Infinite was bad.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Bioshock Infinite was fine.

It just isn't mind-blowing and I don't understand anyone who thinks it is.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

BioShock games are really good at using striking visuals in the first five minutes to trick you into thinking you're playing something other than some random FPS

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It did absolutely nothing different from the first 2 games and the story was waaaay more fart-huffing than the original. The skyhook things were dumb gimmicks that were impossible to use in combat, too.

Rapture only worked because it was a good combination of interesting concept and atmosphere. Columbia had neither.

e: I'm only reminded of how bad it was because I actually enjoyed it the first time, but last week I was at a buddy's house and he asked me to beat the last big gun battle in the game and it was loving awful

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Twelve Batmans posted:

I remember when it came out there were a lot of think pieces about how great and deep the story is and the game has important things to say about racism and how bad it is (it is). Turns out, all you do is choose whether or not to throw a tomato at two black dudes. If you don't, they give you a small reward later.

Such a hard hitting message so important for our times.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Twelve Batmans posted:

Bioshock infinite could have been great. The art and world design are amazing. The game would have been amazing if they'd spent as much time and energy designing a good story and good gameplay to go with it. But instead it's just edgy fanfic and a lot of plodding lovely combat to waste your time

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Away all Goats posted:

unskippable cutscenes

they just want you to give you the opportunity to be as drunk as max

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

poverty goat posted:

Bioshock infinite could have been great. The art and world design are amazing. The game would have been amazing if they'd spent as much time and energy designing a good story and good gameplay to go with it. But instead it's just edgy fanfic and a lot of plodding lovely combat to waste your time

Even the world design was mediocre, IMO. They literally just went "what if Rapture but in the sky and American/racist." The entire city just felt like a Disney theme park.

e: the story and characters were bad and boring too. I've only played each game once or twice, but I can definitely remember most of the cast from the original game, and the main plot beats. Infinite all I can really remember is the revolutionary black lady, but aside from "you are the bad guy and also the father" I barely remember anything about the actual story of Infinite, or any of the characters. At least in 1 your character is mostly a confused blank slate, Booker's character was just flat, uncharismatic and generic as hell. I think the most emotional I got in the entire game was being sad at how awfully and painfully the giant bird thing died at the end.

I'm pretty sure the developers realized it too, since the DLC stuff brings it back to Rapture and is way better for it

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 27, 2019

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
How's "it's like a theme park" in any way a criticism of a game?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

theme park attractions tend to be wholly passive experiences, while games are meant to be the opposite.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

TheScott2K posted:

theme park attractions tend to be wholly passive experiences, while games are meant to be the opposite.

The opposite of a theme park is a survival game where you punch wood and drink piss to survive.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

It was a criticism of the environments, not the game. They all felt super bright and oversaturated. I get that they were going for the whole "everything is fine and good, our society is 100% not collapsing into anarchy" aesthetic, but ugh.

I don't mean the game played like a theme park ride, I meant that this:

reminds me more than anything of this:

but with contrast and color saturation cranked way up.

And I get that they're both facsimiles of the same idea (the 2nd shot is literally from Main Street, USA at Disney), so I guess you could argue that they captured the aesthetic too well? Either way it just felt really hollow and forgettable.

e: another fun thing about that game is how 90% of the game moves forward 10% of the plot, and the ending is just a massive overload of plot development/resolution

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 27, 2019

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Unlike, say, Dishonored, at no point in BioShock or BioShock Infinite did I buy that anyone actually lived in these places.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

I remember when it came out there were a lot of think pieces about how great and deep the story is and the game has important things to say about racism and how bad it is (it is). Turns out, all you do is choose whether or not to throw a tomato at two black dudes. If you don't, they give you a small reward later.

Such a hard hitting message so important for our times.

Considering that most gamers still use racial slurs casually and are dumb as dog poo poo, that moment is probably very shocking to their senses

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
I like playing multiplayer games but nowadays, it's getting harder to convince friends you know to play with you since pubs can be freaking cancer oftentimes. I play this game called warframe where I'd group of goons to do poo poo. It has been a blast honestly.

shame folks dismiss multiplayer games as toxic cesspools but I can't blame them. I much prefer PvE games over PvP games anyday. (though oddly I hate most mmos)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

You ever play Killing Floor? Idk about KF2 but KF had pretty fun multiplayer.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
KF2 had a few rough patches but is now in a good spot with a lot of enemy and weapon variety and all sorts of gore and mayhem and even dumb custom modes. The guns feel really good. I played the hell out of KF1 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I had some good times in KF1 with my brother before he drank himself to death. Probably not a criticism of KF lol.