Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I left an unexposed roll of Portra 400 in my checked bag the other day. Is it worth shooting on and getting it processed, or should I just eat the $8 loss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

I left an unexposed roll of Portra 400 in my checked bag the other day. Is it worth shooting on and getting it processed, or should I just eat the $8 loss?

I had 14 exposed rolls go through 4 x-ray checkpoints in 2 days and it was all fine. It'll be fine.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Checked bags go through the baggage handling XRays which are more powerful than the ones they use at boarding security. I'd shoot anyway just to see what it looks like.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I left an exposed roll of Ultrafine 400 B&W in my checked bag recently. Some frames were fogged a little bit, but others seemed pretty clear.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Safety Dance posted:

Sell it at a markup to the people who keep Cinestill in business.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Like how Lomography enthusiasts go for that light-leak look, this film has a radiation leak look.

I shot it all in Bruges yesterday, so I'm hoping it turns out okay.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

rohan posted:

Sell it at a markup to the people who keep Cinestill in business.

~*Pre-Distressed Film*~

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

~*Pre-Distressed Film*~

This exists. Dubble film is 135 film with pre-applied light leaks. Just in case your Lomo LCA is too reliable, and you want to pay twice as much for lovely film than you would for a roll of Portra.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

These three shots are from that roll that went through checked baggage:

Does this have a blue cast to it, or am I imagining things? There was genuinely a fair bit of blue in the scene, but I've stared at it for so long that I don't trust my eyes right now. Shot with Fuji 400H.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 27, 2019

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

That does seem a little blue to my eyes, yeah.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

President Beep posted:

Does this have a blue cast to it, or am I imagining things? There was genuinely a fair bit of blue in the scene, but I've stared at it for so long that I don't trust my eyes right now. Shot with Fuji 400H.

Yes, but that's because of poor color correction, not x-ray damage, which looks pretty different.

Here's a scan of a 4x5 sheet of Portra 400 I intentionally put through checked luggage on three consecutive flights. To make this even visible I had to use curves to crank up contrast way beyond what the contrast slider maxed out in Lightroom does. If there were a well exposed image you might not even notice the x-ray damage.

I wouldn't intentionally do it to film with images I cared about, but my experience indicates the risk of real issues is way overstated.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Oh, for sure. That roll stayed in carryon with me. Any color issues are solely the result of my post processing.

The reason that roll of B&W went through checked baggage is because I loaded it from bulk myself and didn’t tape it to the spool well enough, so my Canon A2E pulled it all the way off once I’d shot the last frame. Fo the sake of ease I just waited until we got home so that I could open it in my changing bag.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 28, 2019

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Can anyone tell me what happened here?

img033 by Cody P, on Flickr

There's a big white fog down the middle of these negatives - it's not a fault of scanning, it's on the negative itself, and goes past the frames (I left some of the blank negative on the bottom so it's obvious). On the negative itself, it looks white as well. Anyone has any idea what this is? I didn't notice it when I hung the negatives up to dry, but I may have just missed it. It's happened on two rolls of 120 Illford HP5+, I developed both in a row. Was there some minor light leak when putting the film on the tank reels? A light leak in the camera? A problem with developing?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Looks like a Light leak.

Does it show up on film that is developed by someone else (a lab for instance)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Wild EEPROM posted:

Looks like a Light leak.

Does it show up on film that is developed by someone else (a lab for instance)

I've only had one roll developed from this camera (a Yashica Mat 124) from a lab, and it turned out fine. I've developed other rolls from this camera and they turned out fine, but these were my first rolls of Illford.

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib
FWIW: if the fog seems not to come from the sides, and it doesn't show clustering around each frame (so it's not consistently stronger around the middle or the edge of the frames), then I don't think it's a light leak in the camera. My bet would be that it's an issue with the handling or the processing of the roll.

I don't think I've seen this pattern of fogging before, though.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

k-zed posted:

FWIW: if the fog seems not to come from the sides, and it doesn't show clustering around each frame (so it's not consistently stronger around the middle or the edge of the frames), then I don't think it's a light leak in the camera. My bet would be that it's an issue with the handling or the processing of the roll.

I don't think I've seen this pattern of fogging before, though.

I would've assumed that since it appears white on the negative, it wasn't necessarily a light leak, since wouldn't that make the negative darker? Anyways, it's possible that there was some minor light leaking in the room I developed in - the room has no windows, but light comes in through the cracks under the door during the daytime. I used bed sheets and blankets to plug up all four sides, but it's totally possible it wasn't a complete seal. I'll try developing another roll at night so there's no possibility of leakage.

Or I guess I could just buy a dark bag so I could develop at any time.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

But the white spot is on the image, so the negative should be darker, right?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

President Beep posted:

But the white spot is on the image, so the negative should be darker, right?

It should be. But it's very clearly whiter on the negative. Not sure why it also appears lighter in the scan, maybe the scanner is confused by it or something?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

It should be. But it's very clearly whiter on the negative. Not sure why it also appears lighter in the scan, maybe the scanner is confused by it or something?

Woah. That's freakin' weird.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

President Beep posted:

Woah. That's freakin' weird.

Yuuuuup, the negative being so light made me wonder if it was due to me messing up the chemicals somehow. But these are the same chemicals I've successfully developed other rolls with, so ????

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Yuuuuup, the negative being so light made me wonder if it was due to me messing up the chemicals somehow. But these are the same chemicals I've successfully developed other rolls with, so ????

Could the film have been misloaded on the reel? Maybe touching another layer? I really have no idea.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

President Beep posted:

Could the film have been misloaded on the reel? Maybe touching another layer? I really have no idea.

I mean anything's possible, but I don't remember running into any problems when loading or unloading the reels. It also happened on two separate rolls - it's possible I messed up twice without realizing either time, but would still be surprising. I just dunno enough about home development to know what could caused it.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Is it whiter on the negative, or clearer? Grey-white haze on a negative is usually "incomplete fixing". Check to see if your fixer is exhausted.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Yond Cassius posted:

Is it whiter on the negative, or clearer? Grey-white haze on a negative is usually "incomplete fixing". Check to see if your fixer is exhausted.

Definitely whiter. What's the best way to check if the fixer is used up?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey so I just want some opinions on this thing I found.

I used to shoot bulk HP5+ 400 and I found an old-ish loader with probably 90% of a 100ft spool left. This has been sitting in zero moisture/temperature control for what I would guess is like 5-8 years. Based on where it was sitting in the garage, I would guess it has seen some extreme heat and extreme cold. I'm talking probably anything between -10C to +30C for extended periods.

How would I approach shooting unknown film like this? I'm willing to give it a go, but given the extreme temperature spikes how should I be treating exposure? Any thoughts on what I should be expecting to see, as compared to a properly stored roll of HP5+? I've never shot expired colour or BW before.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

The great thing about a bulk loader is you can make a test roll with only a few exposures on it. Do a simple bracketing shot with exposures +2. +1, 0, -1, -2 and develop normally.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah you know what, sometimes it's the simple answers that elude me.

I'll give that a try this weekend, thanks.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Take a test strip of exposed film (35mm leaders are perfect for this, or you can leave an unfurled roll of 120 in the sun for a few minutes, cut it up, and have a year's supply) and drop it into a small amount of fixer. A glass container like a petri dish or a small graduated cylinder is perfect because you'll want to time how long it takes for the film to become visibly clear. I check by seeing if I can read magazine text through it.

Ideally you'll have recorded this time when you first mixed up the fixer, and your fixer is depleted when it takes twice as long as it did originally. In practical terms I say more than five minutes is "used up".

You can also get "Ag-Fix" test strips which can tell you with reasonable exactness how used-up your fixer is, but they get pricey (about $35-40 for 100 after shipping).

Get rid of your depleted fixer either by leaving it in a jar with some steel wool for a few days before pouring it out, or by bringing it to your local photo lab for disposal. If you want to get fancy you can get a "silver magnet" and reclaim the (very tiny) amounts of silver for yourself. After shooting a metric crapton of film you can send it to a refiner and get a few extra rolls to keep going.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 1, 2019

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Put some undeveloped film into a shot glass (just cut a small strip off a leader or something), fill the glass with your fixer and time how long it takes for the film to go completely clear. However long that takes, double it and that's the fixing time for that particular batch of fixer. If it takes more than about 2-3 minutes, then your fixer is exhausted and you should just replace it.

Martytoof posted:

Hey so I just want some opinions on this thing I found.

I used to shoot bulk HP5+ 400 and I found an old-ish loader with probably 90% of a 100ft spool left. This has been sitting in zero moisture/temperature control for what I would guess is like 5-8 years. Based on where it was sitting in the garage, I would guess it has seen some extreme heat and extreme cold. I'm talking probably anything between -10C to +30C for extended periods.

How would I approach shooting unknown film like this? I'm willing to give it a go, but given the extreme temperature spikes how should I be treating exposure? Any thoughts on what I should be expecting to see, as compared to a properly stored roll of HP5+? I've never shot expired colour or BW before.
The usual rule of thumb is 1 stop of overexposure per decade since it expired. I'd stick to that, the poor handling isn't likely to affect the sensitivity of the emulsion, it's far more likely to manifest in things like uneven exposures, mildewed spots and other things that aren't really fixable by shooting or developing it differently.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

polyester concept posted:

The great thing about a bulk loader is you can make a test roll with only a few exposures on it. Do a simple bracketing shot with exposures +2. +1, 0, -1, -2 and develop normally.

I've just started bulk loading and this is beautiful.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I got some new fixer, and the latest roll I developed with it came out perfect!

Is it possible for me to put my previously-developed rolls of film into fixer again to re-fix them, or would that ruin them? Thinking about it, after fixing them all I did was wash them with water, so it wouldnt be super surprising if I could just fix them over again...

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Is it possible for me to put my previously-developed rolls of film into fixer again to re-fix them, or would that ruin them? Thinking about it, after fixing them all I did was wash them with water, so it wouldnt be super surprising if I could just fix them over again...

You should be fine, unless maybe you were using hardening fixer for some reason. Just make sure to re-wash them thoroughly.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I went to my local photo lab this time instead of TheDarkroom. Price is about the same, turnaround is quicker, but I have to deal with CDs instead of downloading.

Anyway here's Belgium. I didn't notice any effects from the Bruges roll having passed through checked luggage x-ray.

I feel like I underexposed my first roll, so I overcompensated and overexposed these a little bit. Gotta find a middle ground.

E. Also, I should take pictures of more than just architecture.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 4, 2019

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Overexposing negative film is fine, usually you'll want to be a stop or so over anyway if you have deep shadows that you want to recover. Especially if you scan them yourself, you can very easily dial back highlights and get detail out of blown areas. Black shadows are lost to you though which is why it's generally best to overexpose if you have a wide dynamic range in the frame.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thoughts on those mid-price 135 compact scanners you see on eBay every now and then? I'm talking about the Minolta Dimage stuff, not the weird $20 sensor based ones.

I have an Epson 3200 which I used in the past but both desk and storage space are really at a premium so I'm starting to question the need for a flatbed scanner. I also don't really want to bust out over five hundred on something super expensive since my posting is/was mainly instragram twitter and flickr.

I guess bonus if it can scan MF.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

The scan quality isn't doing these photos any favours

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

In terms of sharpness or contrast? I'm scanning with a V600 but can't tell if I'm running up against its abilities with 35mm or if I just did an average job scanning slide for the first time.

These are off the same scanner and feel sharper to me eyes, but I could also be huffing my own farts. These are also colour negative stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Martytoof posted:

Thoughts on those mid-price 135 compact scanners you see on eBay every now and then? I'm talking about the Minolta Dimage stuff, not the weird $20 sensor based ones.

I have an Epson 3200 which I used in the past but both desk and storage space are really at a premium so I'm starting to question the need for a flatbed scanner. I also don't really want to bust out over five hundred on something super expensive since my posting is/was mainly instragram twitter and flickr.

I guess bonus if it can scan MF.

This may be of interest to you:
https://www.konicaminoltasupport.com/fileadmin/scanner_minolta/comparison/v_scan_e.htm
Apparently vuescan supports most minolta scanners on win10, but make sure it actually works with what you have.
A few of them have accessories that let you scan an entire roll on uncut negs, which is awesome, but pretty thin on the ground.