Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Avenatti indicted in scheme to extort $22.5M from Nike by threatening to expose that Nike had funneled money to recruits.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/25/sports/michael-avenatti-extortion-nike.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

What a weird 24 hours.

he was also indicted at the exact same time in california for stealing client money to run a coffee business

https://www.justice.gov/usao-cdca/pr/lawyer-michael-avenatti-arrested-federal-bank-fraud-and-wire-fraud-charges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Odds on him defending himself. Like 3:2 at least?

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Good loving riddance.

Can't believe he fell for the follow up phonecall of "so about those CRIMES".

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Avenatti indicted in scheme to extort $22.5M from Nike by threatening to expose that Nike had funneled money to recruits.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/25/sports/michael-avenatti-extortion-nike.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

What a weird 24 hours.

Edit : Yikes.

"Amazing. Avenatti, speaking directly with Nike's lawyers, allegedly threatened to extort the company. The lawyers immediately called up the Justice Department and set up a recorded sting of Avenatti reiterating his allegedly criminal demands" https://t.co/6PkOUjsH7F

Holy poo poo how stupid do you have to be to gently caress with Nike's attorneys like that. Over the PHONE.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

disjoe posted:

Holy poo poo how stupid do you have to be to gently caress with Nike's attorneys like that. Over the PHONE.

"The criminal complaint says Avenatti told attorneys for Nike on a phone call he would 'go take $10 billion off your client's market cap... I'm not f---ing around.'"

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
God damnit is there a big-time, famous attorney who isn't morally awful?

Gloria Allred?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
lol not that Big Mike isn't awful but plaintiff's attorneys say that kind of poo poo and make that kind of threat literally all the time, its just they phrase it more artfully

the moral distinction between being an extortionist and and being a plaintiff's atty is precisely zero

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

lol not that Big Mike isn't awful but plaintiff's attorneys say that kind of poo poo and make that kind of threat literally all the time, its just they phrase it more artfully

the moral distinction between being an extortionist and and being a plaintiff's atty is precisely zero

trying to require nike to hire avanetti personally and pay him personally scads of money, instead of compensating his client for his clients' damages, is where you cross over from ordinary zealous advocacy extortion to a criminal act i think

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Ahhhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/MattGlantz/status/1110254478563987457

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Soothing Vapors posted:

Now do one for a defense attorney who withholds payment on legitimate claims!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Roger_Mudd posted:

Now do one for a defense attorney who withholds payment on legitimate claims!

lol

guard at a concentration camp? i got nothin (except big untouched piles of my clients' money)

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

lol are you serious

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Imagine being an insurance defense attorney and thinking you're morally superior.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

Nice meltdown.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

v sorry to offend the Ambulance Chasers Local 406, plz lets be pals again

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

nm posted:

Imagine being an insurance defense attorney and thinking you're morally superior.

I've done both (sometimes at the same time). It's different ends of the same poo poo sandwich.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

nm posted:

Imagine being an attorney and thinking you're morally superior.

ftfy

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

Let's be real, it's the insurance defense mill attorneys who are actually in need of union representation.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
What are you talking about, I'm very superior???

E: wait sorry you said "morally" never mind

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol at Avenatti and Geragos being invited to Nike lawyers’ office and asked to repeat their “settlement demand” a little bit louder please on this side of the room, and then loving doing it.

Go have lunch and talk about it, this isn’t hard.

Re: ambulance chasers v. insurance defense

Roger_Mudd posted:

It's different ends of the same poo poo sandwich.

This is the correct take, except only one side routinely engages in fraud

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Plaintiff’s Bar = fighting for justice and taking a third of what the little man deserves so can be made 2/3 whole

Insurance Defense Bar = I need at least 200 of these cases every year because I can only bill $140 an hour

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol at Avenatti and Geragos being invited to Nike lawyers’ office and asked to repeat their “settlement demand” a little bit louder please on this side of the room, and then loving doing it.

Go have lunch and talk about it, this isn’t hard.

Re: ambulance chasers v. insurance defense

This is the correct take, except only one side routinely engages in fraud

The insurance companies are smart enough to go to lunch with their attorneys.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
thread question:describe yourself as a mixed drink recipe

If you're off the sauce, tell us your virgin form

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Discendo Vox posted:

Nope.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
I'm a Flaming Lamborghini because my law school plans sound fancy, look fancy, and there's a good chance it all goes wrong and I get horribly burnt.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
What a time it is to be a weird loving grifter.

Also I won an eight figure jury verdict nbd.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
^^
Do you get to keep at least 7 figures for yourself?

Soothing Vapors posted:

Eh, at least they take from the rich and give to the poor (even if it's only 2/3). There is something real there, even if the real job is threatening truckers on the phone or w/e.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Discendo Vox posted:

Whatever alcohol is closest at hand, mixed with stomach acid

Or scotch if I can get the firm to pay

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Rye, neat. gently caress off with your "mixed drinks."

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Discendo Vox posted:

Five liters of espresso.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

Rye, neat. gently caress off with your "mixed drinks."

Yeah I'm with this guy only I'm maybe a bit more like straight Bourbon because I'm kinda vanilla.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Definitely a jackhammer

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

There were days at the public defender's office when I'd have a beer with lunch and my boss would be in the same restaurant.

If I did that now I'd be fired.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Mix black coffee with ice

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Anything you want to dump in me, daddy.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Discendo Vox posted:

Tequila because it feels great at the time, followed by a morning of regret.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Discendo Vox posted:

Andre Spumante

The beer of champagnes

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Everclear because I don't have a personality but make people into assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Bourbon Barrel Stout. Not actually a mixed drink anymore, but produced by time spent soaking in a hard liqour.

(The stout part should be obvious.)