Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Did anyone ever make an OSW/AEP/NewGenProject style podcast to cover the 00's era? I found a Ruthless Aggression Era Podcast when I googled it and it has more than ten episodes, but the audio is so garbage it's completely unlistenable, and also it starts at Vengeance '02 of all places, I guess because it's the first PPV after Vince's actual Ruthless Aggression promo, but it's still a weird and offputting starting point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

Dango Bango posted:

Who the gently caress can stand the Bellas' voices for that long? :gonk:

Like, duuunchoo think that they... could like, shaar thoughts that have imporatiance?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Dango Bango posted:

Who the gently caress can stand the Bellas' voices for that long? :gonk:

Cena and Daniel Bryan come to mind.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I rilly fill you guyce are being rilly mean

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1110325290721382400

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Deleted

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Meltzer said he has drawn millions in newsletter subscriptions in reply to someone asking how much money has drawn as a wrestler.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Dave's a one percenter

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Haha yeah good thing he deleted that, that's a dumb loving thing to tweet.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
He's made a steady living for 30+ years and isn't dead, broke, an alcoholic, or a pillhead, so he's honestly done better than at least 80% of most wrestlers. poo poo, he also isn't divorced and his kids still talk to him. Bump that up to 90%.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Honestly that sounds like a joke. But wrestling fans are known for not getting jokes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CombineThresher posted:

Cena and Daniel Bryan come to mind.

Eh, I assumed that one of Cena's house rules was silence except for mealtimes and a designated 20 minute conversation period held in the yard so as not to damage the structure of the property with the vibrations of voices.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Demtor posted:

Like, duuunchoo think that they... could like, shaar thoughts that have imporatiance?

Bella twins go on red scare.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Howled at Dave burying the woman who interviewed Bryan

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dave misunderstanding what the director of Omega's documentary meant by Rocky Horror Picture Show and thinking Kota as "the guy who runs around in little trunks the whole movie" was referring to Ivan Drago :xd:

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
I lost it at Dave talking about Moondog Mayne and Bugsy McGraw's hunt for the Zodiac Killer

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

OctoberCountry posted:

I lost it at Dave talking about Moondog Mayne and Bugsy McGraw's hunt for the Zodiac Killer
also having to ask Bryan if he’d ever heard of the Zodiac Killer, because Bryan

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Really into hearing Dave’s strong opinions on Daylight Saving Time

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Gaz-L posted:

Eh, I assumed that one of Cena's house rules was silence except for mealtimes and a designated 20 minute conversation period held in the yard so as not to damage the structure of the property with the vibrations of voices.

You can only talk about the greatness of Eric Andre in his house. (which is correct)

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lol if you think Cena would allow anyone to be within 5 meters of his lawn

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

having watched snippets of the Total Divas, I'm not convinced either Bella can hold a genuine conversation for than 20 seconds before morphing into a product placement. They're perfect for podcasting.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/dajosc11/status/1110971797187514373

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So thick

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/WONF4W/status/1110760240310419456

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The wrong company died

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

This Nitro had Schiavone screaming "SALSA! SALSA! SALSA!" with such passion, I howled with laughter.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

The wrong company died

As bad as WWE has become, nothing touches how unbelievably lovely and wasteful WCW was. Now that it's a done deal it is tempting to look back on it fondly (and to be fair, there was a lot of neat stuff that happened inbetween the awful) because everything has a context/resolution now, but WCW was complete and utter dogshit.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

The wrong company died

counterpoint this entire show didnt matter other the fact that they plugged the reset 2 weeks later for Russo and Bischoff and changed all the feuds

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
WCW was mostly unwatchable but I take it over WWF

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Jerusalem posted:

As bad as WWE has become, nothing touches how unbelievably lovely and wasteful WCW was. Now that it's a done deal it is tempting to look back on it fondly (and to be fair, there was a lot of neat stuff that happened inbetween the awful) because everything has a context/resolution now, but WCW was complete and utter dogshit.

I could buy the argument ten years ago, but at this point wwe has been horrible for over a decade. Wcw got bad sure but it was over pretty quick. WWE has been awful forever now and there are no signs of it getting better.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wcw's badness was much more surreal and immediate and therefore better

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Super No Vacancy posted:

wcw's badness was much more surreal and immediate and therefore better

Yeah exactly. Wwe is bad in the worst way possible which is just being boring.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Rob posted:

I could buy the argument ten years ago, but at this point wwe has been horrible for over a decade. Wcw got bad sure but it was over pretty quick. WWE has been awful forever now and there are no signs of it getting better.

About a week ago I was loosely considering a thread looking at the last year of WCW in real-time. In preparation I sat down to watch Uncensored, helped along by Byran and Vinny having given a hilarious account of it/the Nitro after on a recent show. After 90 minutes I tapped out, it just brought back all my worst memories of just how unbelievably bad that promotion was, and the knowledge it was only 2-3 weeks before the return of Russo/Bischoff killed off any further interest.

Modern day WWE is extremely frustrating and often bland, but it's still generally watchable if over-long. WCW's surrealness is great to laugh about in isolated moments, knowing how it all ended up and that it's all in the past, but any attempt to watch it in its unfiltered entirety again just brings back how what was once the biggest wrestling company in the world completely destroyed themselves in an agonizing, drawn out death spiral.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

About a week ago I was loosely considering a thread looking at the last year of WCW in real-time. In preparation I sat down to watch Uncensored, helped along by Byran and Vinny having given a hilarious account of it/the Nitro after on a recent show. After 90 minutes I tapped out, it just brought back all my worst memories of just how unbelievably bad that promotion was, and the knowledge it was only 2-3 weeks before the return of Russo/Bischoff killed off any further interest.

Modern day WWE is extremely frustrating and often bland, but it's still generally watchable if over-long. WCW's surrealness is great to laugh about in isolated moments, knowing how it all ended up and that it's all in the past, but any attempt to watch it in its unfiltered entirety again just brings back how what was once the biggest wrestling company in the world completely destroyed themselves in an agonizing, drawn out death spiral.

Yeah, we are generally inured to the WWE's badness through constant exposure and kind of romanticize WCW because it's been gone long enough that nostalgia and selective memory has seeped in, but so much of WCW's badness was just inexplicable and banal. It's the same way everyone remembers the Attitude Era for the things it did well or at least the things it did interestingly badly, no one thinks back to watching DoA and Southern Justice wrestle every week.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
WCW at the end was a run-in /outside interference in almost every loving match. God forbid that Vito or Lenny Lane do a clean job.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ennj1LGz02c

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I think it really depends what you want from your wrestling because WCW was sharp peaks and valleys of good and bad, while WWE is a plateau of boring with occasional pitfalls and hills.

The main difference is that WCW knew how to book "fun" matches while Vince doesn't anymore. And outside the Rock and Austin being wacky and having the control to do what they wanted, I'm not sure Vince ever knew how to just write a goofy fun storyline.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
From everything I gather WWE's booking is exactly the same as WCW's late 2000s booking.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

From everything I gather WWE's booking is exactly the same as WCW's late 2000s booking.

I'm pretty sure late 2000s WCW is just Impact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I Before E posted:

I'm pretty sure late 2000s WCW is just Impact

Had most of the same people too for a while :v: