Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of FFXV, I got to chapter 13 and picked the Gladios and Ignis path. I seen what happens in Noctis in the past, but I forget what happened there anyway? I don't want to go pick that section since I heard it was pretty awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Rirse posted:

Speaking of FFXV, I got to chapter 13 and picked the Gladios and Ignis path. I seen what happens in Noctis in the past, but I forget what happened there anyway? I don't want to go pick that section since I heard it was pretty awful.

If I remember right it's about an hour or so of long hallways with bad stealth and then using your one attack on the two enemy types when they inevitably catch you. I think there's also a real brief fake out where you find your buddies before you actually find your buddies?

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Wait you could pick a different path?
Was that in the vanilla XV version?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

DevCore posted:

Wait you could pick a different path?
Was that in the vanilla XV version?

no, they added that later

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Gologle posted:

I looked up the ending of Episode Ardyn cus I'm going to play it anyway and I don't care about spoilers, and man, it's hosed up.

Yeah, Ardyn has a legit beef and has every right to be pissed.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I personally wanna hang with Lenna, Faris and Butz. They seem like the most down to earth FF characters.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

seiferguy posted:

I personally wanna hang with Lenna, Faris and Butz. They seem like the most down to earth FF characters.

You list "down to earth" characters and ignore the two champions of the earth crystal?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

They're from outer space.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Bruceski posted:

You list "down to earth" characters and ignore the two champions of the earth crystal?

Galuf is dead and Krile is 14...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
They’re all from half an earth.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

the objective right choice to hang out with is the crew from IX just sayin'

do you think steiner has ever taken a day off

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Looper posted:

Steiner had a very extended vacation to such locales as the Desert Prison and a parallel world. he even went on a cruise

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Looper posted:

Every day is a vacation when you have the honor of serving the princess!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
To summarize Episode Ardyn and Final Fantasy XV as a whole, I suppose: The moral is the exact opposite of the other Final Fantasy games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

To summarize Episode Ardyn and Final Fantasy XV as a whole, I suppose: The moral is the exact opposite of the other Final Fantasy games.

To be fair Episode Ardyn was intended to be the starting point for a new series of DLC that got cancelled. I'm pretty sure they intended the final DLC to be Kicking Bahamut's rear end and getting a happy ending

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah i'm just going to pretend that entire episode never happened

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair Episode Ardyn was intended to be the starting point for a new series of DLC that got cancelled. I'm pretty sure they intended the final DLC to be Kicking Bahamut's rear end and getting a happy ending

Gosh, then I sure am glad that once the end was in sight they decided to make it anyway.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

seiferguy posted:

Well I know I don't want to hang out with Mid, his ghost takes up residence inside a girl's butt.

What an rear end.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dr Pepper posted:

Sometimes they murder a local deity.

Or just get drunk and cry about their dead husband.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Takafumi Terada, who did both Episode Ignis and Episode Ardyn, is very good, and I would have loved to see the final DLC's he was probably going to direct.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
This is the only time I'll lament not having more FFXV, because the DLCs we lost included Aranea and Lunafreya, which was actually appealing. I would have booted up the game again to play those.

But nope, we end on the sentient thrift store, I guess.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
What I saw of Episode Ardyn's ending was very hosed up and left me with an uneasy feeling in my gut, so I went ahead and watched someone's playthrough of it (it's about 2 hours long, no big deal). Something I never felt like I had to do with any of the other Episodes, even Gladio's. There's a lot of thoughts in my head right now that I'll have to order properly later in one big blah blah blah post, but suffice it to say, I think it's a bad Episode, and I don't think it is worth buying. It's a sad end to a game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Gosh, then I sure am glad that once the end was in sight they decided to make it anyway.

I think it's more "It was almost done and we can't exactly shelve a fair bit of work"

But it can join FFX HD's "and then Sin came back" bonus ending as unsatisfying additions to otherwise finished games.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Translated Famitsu developer interview about FF8: http://shmuplations.com/ff8/

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Gologle posted:

how do you mean. just with reference to xv as a whole i guess

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

MarsDragon posted:

Translated Famitsu developer interview about FF8: http://shmuplations.com/ff8/

Yoshinori Kitase posted:

There were a lot of new challenges we took on, and it wasn’t all easy, but there’s a reason for that: you see, these games take us 1.5-2 years to produce, so if we don’t set new challenges for ourselves, we can’t sustain our motivation through the development.

Kazushige Nojima posted:

But sometimes I’d write things that threatened to elicit these huge misunderstandings, and I’d wish I hadn’t written anything in the first place. (laughs)

lordy

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Nomura posted:

Besides the characters, I also designed several of the Guardian Forces. Unlike the summon creatures we’ve used in previous FF games, the Guardian Forces can be raised and leveled up, so from a design perspective, my starting point was that I wanted them all to be bizarre creatures—no humanoids with clothes. That’s why Ramuh doesn’t appear in FF8, but was instead replaced by Quetzalcoatl. Plus Ito (battle designer) was saying you can’t “raise” an old man any further. (laughs) For the same reason I re-designed Siren from FF4 to not have any clothing, too.

I definitely beleve you, Nomura

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

FFVII on Switch today.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
In more positive news, Shadowbringers lookin' real cool, and I'm interested to see what being a Warrior of Darkness will mean for us and how exactly we're going to bring darkness back to a world of light.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
https://www.game-debate.com/news/26819/square-enix-adds-always-online-drm-requirement-to-final-fantasy-x-and-x-2-3-years-after-launch

I know they make really dumb choices as a company, but why this? Are they still misunderstanding the PC market?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

FFVII on Switch today.

buyin' this if only to have it portable and for the 3x speed option

I'm assuming it has the same mods from the steam version if you want an easy mode?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Not a Children posted:

buyin' this if only to have it portable and for the 3x speed option

I'm assuming it has the same mods from the steam version if you want an easy mode?

Yeah, it has all that. Are there Switch games that aren't portable?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Ariza posted:

https://www.game-debate.com/news/26819/square-enix-adds-always-online-drm-requirement-to-final-fantasy-x-and-x-2-3-years-after-launch

I know they make really dumb choices as a company, but why this? Are they still misunderstanding the PC market?

Yikes. Glad I cheaped out and bought a used copy of X-2 for like five bucks, but that is just extremely scummy and pointless to tack that on to something people already bought.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Ariza posted:

Ahahahaha what is even the point of that? Why wait three loving years to add obnoxious DRM that people will avoid anyway?

Like, even for SE this makes no loving sense.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Guess they're back to the "we can do no wrong" phase of a publisher.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Think this crap is already in place for VIII on Steam? I moved at the end of January and had a period with no internet access so had a few contingency games installed including VIII. Just would not let me launch the game offline.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Episode Laundromat Thief is live on Steam for :10bux:, download is 16.6 GB.

:gaz:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gologle posted:

What I saw of Episode Ardyn's ending was very hosed up and left me with an uneasy feeling in my gut, so I went ahead and watched someone's playthrough of it (it's about 2 hours long, no big deal). Something I never felt like I had to do with any of the other Episodes, even Gladio's. There's a lot of thoughts in my head right now that I'll have to order properly later in one big blah blah blah post, but suffice it to say, I think it's a bad Episode, and I don't think it is worth buying. It's a sad end to a game.

it's the worst attempt at story expansion i've seen since burial at sea

ardyn's fate was already plenty tragic as first explained in the game and had a nice undertone of old-testament ineffability to it - his good intentions in curing the plague didn't matter, because the gods were judging events by other standards. making the whole thing a deliberate gambit by bahamut for the sake of "maintaining balance" is not only miserably cliche and leaves a huge collection of hanging threads, it also contradicts everything else revealed about the gods - even ifrit came across as righteously aggrieved in his expanded backstory, but if the chief god of the pantheon is the one pulling the strings behind all the misery then they're either collaborators or feckless chumps

it turns a story about maintaining your humanity in the face of cosmic indifference (noctis and ardyn both condemned by their destiny, but noctis finding comfort in the time he has and the people he knows while ardyn is left alone and tries to tear everything down with him) into yet another boilerplate rage-against-the-heavens plot

what a total, pointless mistake

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This week's episode of Retronauts is their second part of their FF7 retrospective. Jeremy had this amazing revelation. Cloud and Buzz Lightyear have the same story arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

This week's episode of Retronauts is their second part of their FF7 retrospective. Jeremy had this amazing revelation. Cloud and Buzz Lightyear have the same story arc.