Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Playing Deep today. Will report once I’ve played it (if I can)

Nice. I'd be interested to know just how much Root is in there and by extension whether the designers BGG meltdown was in any way justified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Nice. I'd be interested to know just how much Root is in there and by extension whether the designers BGG meltdown was in any way justified.

Same. Deep had my interest before I heard of Root or the drama so I'm eager to see how it all came out.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I find engaging in diplomacy in most games is a chore because then I have to juggle diplomatic concerns in addition to playing the game itself correctly and competently.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Playing Deep today. Will report once I’ve played it (if I can)

I hope you can describe some of it because I remember the original concepts and one of the factions was pretty close to the original Alliance.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SettingSun posted:

I find engaging in diplomacy in most games is a chore because then I have to juggle diplomatic concerns in addition to playing the game itself correctly and competently.

Hence the idea I paraphrased above - for complex diplomacy, the game needs simple game play.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CommonShore posted:

Hence the idea I paraphrased above - for complex diplomacy, the game needs simple game play.

One night ultimate warewolf being a great example. Our group will still play a bunch of rounds when we get together and it's always great. The mechanics are dead simple so diplomacy can really shine as the core mechanic of the game.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

CaptainApathyUK posted:

There's so much more board game drama than I expected! Any links to the fun meltdown?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Boxman posted:

Autocorrect knows what you want

Wasn't a typo. "make a good fist of it" is a saying, meaning to make a successful attempt at something. It's real English, not whatever is spoken in the USA :grin:

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Root's diplomacy isn't real diplomacy. It's just talking up someone's chances of winning while downplaying yours. There's little scope for lasting, meaningful cooperation as everyone is chasing points.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

The End posted:

Root's diplomacy isn't real diplomacy. It's just talking up someone's chances of winning while downplaying yours. There's little scope for lasting, meaningful cooperation as everyone is chasing points.

One of the groups I played with called these "Bugs Bunny" games because 90% of it is trying to convince another player that it's duck season or rabbit season.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

The End posted:

I think it's a lot more complex than that but I agree that it's not "diplomacy." I think "negotiation" is accurate.

To be honest I would argue if a game doesn't have shared victories, it doesn't have diplomacy.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Redundant posted:

There's so much more board game drama than I expected! Any links to the fun meltdown?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1944526/official-status-deep

Within here. Basically it got cancelled by Leder. Designer turns up and complains that they're keeping all the art assets they'd paid for. Made a bunch of spurious claims that Root plagiarised it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

al-azad posted:

I hope you can describe some of it because I remember the original concepts and one of the factions was pretty close to the original Alliance.
I can’t really say much about it, unfortunately. It is certainly possible to draw parallels between the games to some extent but there are fundamental differences as well. I can’t really explain why though, sorry.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

FulsomFrank posted:

On the other hand Feast for Odin continues to be special to me. Question for die-hards: is whaling/pillaging/emmigrating basically required? And which exploration boards are the best? I am not an expert at the game by any stretch so I'd love to hear people's strategies. And I went for a pig based game last time and even though I did well it seemed like I succeeded in spite of the pigs.

It isn't that whaling/pillaging/emigrating are required, it's that they're hard to gently caress up. Pillage a big tile/get whale stuff/emigrate points are much more fixed-outcome than things like "get 4 upgrades", which can upgrade 4 peas or 4 whale meat to wildly different effects.

The Norwegians rebalanced the points for some explore boards; between that and notched tiles I think everything is on an even keel, but I haven't played enough to mark out for Limerick or whatever.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Radioactive Toy posted:

Wow. Definitely did not understand some of the complexities of the monster AI as much as I thought I did...

The stuff in the rules quiz ranges from really important aspects that matter a lot (eg how a big clump of slow-moving enemies works) to pathological edge cases that don't relate to anything that occurs in-game (huge single hex corridors).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The stuff in the rules quiz ranges from really important aspects that matter a lot (eg how a big clump of slow-moving enemies works) to pathological edge cases that don't relate to anything that occurs in-game (huge single hex corridors).

Huge single hex corridors are particularly dumb, because RAW nothing can ever target anything in a single hex corridor which is *why there aren't any in the game*

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Countblanc posted:

My biggest suggestion is, after playing your first session, take this monster AI quiz and see what you messed up. I'm sure SOMEONE got a perfect score on this there first try but I sure haven't met them:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1903355/monster-ai-quiz

What's weird to me is that the rules for monster movement and actions are laid out in black and white. It can be easy to get some wrong (as the corner cases in the quiz show) but the correct application of the rules shouldn't really be subject to so much debate.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

The Eyes Have It posted:

What's weird to me is that the rules for monster movement and actions are laid out in black and white. It can be easy to get some wrong (as the corner cases in the quiz show) but the correct application of the rules shouldn't really be subject to so much debate.

You must be new to this hobby.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I recently saw some interesting looking escape room games at the local target: The Werewolf experiment and Jumanji. Does anyone have any experience/seen any reviews of either one?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

On the other hand Feast for Odin continues to be special to me. Question for die-hards: is whaling/pillaging/emmigrating basically required? And which exploration boards are the best? I am not an expert at the game by any stretch so I'd love to hear people's strategies. And I went for a pig based game last time and even though I did well it seemed like I succeeded in spite of the pigs.

Doing well in AFfO is all about chaining bonuses. Whaling/pillaging fill your board but don't score you points, but it's an easy way to get green/blue tiles to fill huts (which by themselves are worth points) and exploration boards plus boats are worth a lot of points. Early emmigration not only scores points but also saves food which in turn can be placed in huts to earn more bonuses. You may have not felt like your pigs did much, but pigs can be upgraded to good tiles, multiply each turn for points, and are really useful to efficiently fill huts.

My goal in every game is find a way to accrue bonuses as quickly as possible and I never fail to clear 100+ points when my early games I was struggling to clear ~80 because I ignored bonuses.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Agent Rush posted:

I recently saw some interesting looking escape room games at the local target: The Werewolf experiment and Jumanji. Does anyone have any experience/seen any reviews of either one?

Werewolf Experiment has decent production values and reasonable puzzles - better than most of its competitors. None of these "escape rooms in a box" are great (which doesn't stop me from buying them all) - but this is better than most. I haven't done Jumanji yet, but this series ("Escape Room: the Game") has been getting worse with every entry.

In related news, we're currently playing through Escape Tales: The Awakening. It's a multi-session puzzle/adventure/story game with a good amount of content. So far the puzzles have been mostly mediocre, but no real groaners yet either. It has sort of an exploration mechanic (somewhat like TIME STORIES?), but without most of that game's garbage. It also has a few puzzles that will look very familiar if you do a lot of puzzle games. In any case, it's making for a better experience than average escape game, and works better as a story game than 7th Continent or the CYOA House of Danger game.

Did a couple of the new Unlock games (Expedition Challenger and Boogeyman) too. This series is getting super gimmicky, and I didn't like either of these - but I could see some groups liking Boogeyman's "party game constraints" (eg. while this card is out, you have to play with one eye closed - not a real example, but you get the idea) or Challenger's further "video-game-ification" of the core Unlock rules.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Merauder posted:

So after making a conscious decision not to purchase Gloomhaven through either Kickstarter or at retail (as I have had doubts that I would play it enough relative to the rest of my sizable library to justify the cost/experience enough of what it has to offer), I ended up winning a free copy today at a local event. I'm working on punching everything and getting relatively organized, but figure I'd ask here for anything I should know going into the game for the first time (aside from obvious stuff like "don't open things until instructed to do so"). Dos, don'ts, tips, whatever. HALP

Read the entire SA Gloomhaven thread, it will only take a couple weeks.

Less jokingly:

We got an amazon fire tablet just to run the Gloomhaven Helper app in the middle of the table, it cuts down on sooooo much admin garbage, lets you ditch status and damage tokens entirely.

Pick a storage solution of some kind. We did a YASSish one with some planos, deck boxes, business card binder and a broken token mini card organizer.

The less fiddly stuff you have to deal with to get it up and running, the more games you will play.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

CommonShore posted:

John company disproves this thesis imho.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

CaptainRightful posted:

All of the colored hexes also have big letters indicating what they are (M=monster, C=character, etc.).

Guess who can't read those letters because they are loving colorblind?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

John company disproves this thesis imho.

To stretch it a bit, your decisions in John Company are straightforward. It's understanding how the company works where the complexity comes through and how your influence can create ripples down the road.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

admanb posted:

I think it's a lot more complex than that but I agree that it's not "diplomacy." I think "negotiation" is accurate.

To be honest I would argue if a game doesn't have shared victories, it doesn't have diplomacy.

But....root has shared victory

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013
Apparently Capstone is reprinting Bus!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Papes posted:

But....root has shared victory

Well, only an option with one faction (Vagabond), and they do it by forcing themselves on the other faction. There's no real diplomacy. It's just *play card*, I now win if you win.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

admanb posted:

At the very least, some obfuscation of the true game state. As long as people perceive that there is mutual benefit, and the person being helped isn't obviously the leader, there's scope for collaboration. Think about how Catan's endgame is degenerate; trading dries up severely once victory is in sight.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

The End posted:

At the very least, some obfuscation of the true game state. As long as people perceive that there is mutual benefit, and the person being helped isn't obviously the leader, there's scope for collaboration. Think about how Catan's endgame is degenerate; trading dries up severely once victory is in sight.

The Twilight Imperium solution: combine secret objectives with a game so massive it's impossible to keep track of what's going on and no one will complain about kingmaking or unexpected victories. :P

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

prokaryote posted:

Apparently Capstone is reprinting Bus!

Which is, I think, the first time a Splotter has been reprinted by another company.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Whoever makes these deals for Capstone must have been motoring around these last conventions. They seem to have secured the Winsome back-catalog and now they managed to get Splotter to agree to a license? Good lord.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Whoever makes these deals for Capstone must have been motoring around these last conventions. They seem to have secured the Winsome back-catalog and now they managed to get Splotter to agree to a license? Good lord.

And some decent artists doing the work. As far as I know it's just a one man shop: Clay Ross. I hope he does well.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
They also did Neue Heimat which was OOP forever and have published all of Starting Player's games in English (Yeo Keng Leong and Christina Ng Zhen We's company who did Three Kingdoms).

They own really hard.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Capstone is doing the lord’s work. GMT already covers the nice production wargames front. We just need someone similar doing the same for 18xx so that more of them look like 18CZ and not a pizza box prototype and we’re good.

Clay make Ginkgopolis

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chill la Chill posted:

Capstone is doing the lord’s work. GMT already covers the nice production wargames front. We just need someone similar doing the same for 18xx so that more of them look like 18CZ and not a pizza box prototype and we’re good.

Clay make Ginkgopolis

Is Ginkopolis in some sort of legal limbo or something because for a game as legendary as it I can't believe no one has reprinted it yet?

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Has there ever been a video where Tom Vassel has said he doesn't like a game? Or have I just not watched enough of his videos?

I like listening to him; his enthusiasm is refreshing and infectious, but I can't help but feel that his reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.

"I really like this game."

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Stumpus posted:

Has there ever been a video where Tom Vassel has said he doesn't like a game? Or have I just not watched enough of his videos?

I like listening to him; his enthusiasm is refreshing and infectious, but I can't help but feel that his reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjiWoqviW50

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Stumpus posted:

In his review for vasco de gama he hated the game so much he threw off of his roof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Pearl said this on their FB page recently (w/r/t a Gink reprint)

quote:

Pearl Games Hello Jeff,
Unfortunately we do not have a date yet...
We are studying the possibility of a reprint with our partners.
Thanks

There's a huge BGG thread about it: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1909992/do-you-want-reprint