Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Shadowhand00 posted:

So does Topher Grace have radiation burns? Is he going to die eventually of cancer/his organs giving out?

Sunburns are a type of radiation burn, so yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
I really liked the series.

Lucky Number 13 was a great short. Did the VTOLS have some kind of AI onboard? The CCTV perspective made it seem like the ship was literally watching over the pilot. And it also happened to self destruct at just the right moment to blow up the bad guys. . The serial number plate had what looked like 'Sikorsky' which makes sense given they make helicopters now.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Panfilo posted:

I really liked the series.

Lucky Number 13 was a great short. Did the VTOLS have some kind of AI onboard? The CCTV perspective made it seem like the ship was literally watching over the pilot. And it also happened to self destruct at just the right moment to blow up the bad guys. . The serial number plate had what looked like 'Sikorsky' which makes sense given they make helicopters now.

Yes, that's why they kept showing that closeup shot of the computer panel.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

Madurai posted:

Yes, that's why they kept showing that closeup shot of the computer panel.

I wasn't sure if it was that or the superstition among the pilots, like how people would ritually touch the serial plate when stepping into the VTOL.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The ambiguity is intended, I feel. The direction was very careful in keeping the AI's perspective impersonal (fixed camera angle, no reaction until the delayed self-destruct). It plays to the idea that we have a tendency to anthropomorphize our creations when we've had a long history with them, for good (how the narrator experienced Lucky 13) or for ill (the death of the previous crews). It was one of the more effective episodes in my opinion, even when it's very Space Marine animated.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Watched the rest of them

Fish Night - started out pretty neat but then a fish ate the guy and it was stupid and pointless
Lucky 13 - another videogamey dumb military shoot fest, pass
Zima Blue - one of the few actually good ones, maybe the best even
Blindspot - loving worst of the bunch, pretty much an episode of an obnoxious children's cartoon, also ugly as poo poo. 8 minutes long and I had to close it half way
Ice Age - ok I guess, same as the yoghurt one essentially, but not as lame
Alternate Histories - lame, unfunny and bad, pass
Secret War - another 'army dudes shoot at stuff', ehhhhhhh

Why did anyone think a bunch of cgi demos was ok to release to the public, nice job Netflix

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Mad about shorts

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
I definitely got the 'cutscene for a video game' vibe from many of them, like Secret War for example.

Speaking of which, it seemed like the Occultists didn't have any backup plan beyond just waving a little pendant at the ghouls. It seemed like they couldn't control them at all.

The commander guy says they don't have air support because the battle of stalingrad is happening and they need them all there. OK. But then it seems like literally the next morning hundreds of planes are bombing the gently caress out of the ghouls? :psyduck:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Mad about shorts

more like bored out of my shorts, heh

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Panfilo posted:

I definitely got the 'cutscene for a video game' vibe from many of them, like Secret War for example.

Yes. Definitely. This was clearly some guy's concept for a Wolfenstein clone that never got off the ground.

I really wanted to like this. An animated anthology where studios are able to go nuts sounds so good. But apparently a lot of animation studios are run by goddamn 16-year-olds, who think XXXtreme violence and exploitive nudity equates to "mature content." It'd be one thing if it felt transgressive or shocking in some way...or maybe if it was more overtly stylized or obviously satirical. But as it stands, it left me totally disengaged.

"Zima Blue" was cool, though. Stylistically and conceptually. It's the best one.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Zima Blue was visually pretty and had an interesting core, but it was just one long exposition dump. Should have been dialogue-less, starting with Zima as the pool cleaner and following his history till he disintegrates himself. Just the same visuals and storyline, but presented in a better way.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 27, 2019

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
Was Ice Age really animated? Most of it seemed like live action unless it was some kind of photo realistic cgi I didn't catch up on.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Beyond the Aquila Rift was nuts, so good

Just watched it all. Why do people like Zima Blue so much? That episode was total garbage.

Doltos fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 27, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Mad about shorts

Too many of the shorts looking like generic action game cinematics is a fair criticism. Secret War especially felt squandered in that regard.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 27, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

grate deceiver posted:

Watched the rest of them

Lucky 13 - another videogamey dumb military shoot fest, pass
Alternate Histories - lame, unfunny and bad, pass
Secret War - another 'army dudes shoot at stuff', ehhhhhhh

I totally agree with this, the ones by the army fiction guy were REALLY boring to me. If it's sci-fi that's just an excuse to pew pew lasers then I'm bored.
If Lucky 13 was just set right now it'd be entirely the same, the sci-fi angle wasn't useful or needed.

The werewolf one was also written by the same person and I wasn't a fan of that.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Lucky 13 at least plays a little with the ambiguity of non-human intelligence and our tendency to anthropomorphize everything. The werewolf one was just... pointless.

I also don't buy that a bunch of jarheads would ostracize the werewolves. They would love that poo poo.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Too many of the shorts looking like generic action game cinematics is a fair criticism. Secret War especially felt squandered in that regard.

I'm inclined to agree that too many of the shorts use basically the same style, but you have to remember that realistic CG is basically not a thing outside of video game CG trailers and such. It's not really a surprise then that given the opportunity, many studios specializing in that jumped at the chance to produce original, more mature shorts with a similar style in an attempt to prove the medium is viable for more than just trailers. Yes, it does get a bit tiring by the end, but I feel it's a bit unfair to call them generic or unoriginal.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Skippy McPants posted:

I also don't buy that a bunch of jarheads would ostracize the werewolves. They would love that poo poo.

Mindset for a jarhead is that they are tough, mean killers, the manliest of all, fighting machines with no equal, bla bla bla.
Constantly being confronted by someone who is just naturally better than you at all those things sounds like it could be pretty emasculating.
The kind of resentment the short showed seemed pretty believable to me.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Ruflux posted:

many studios specializing in that jumped at the chance to produce original, more mature shorts with a similar style in an attempt to prove the medium is viable for more than just trailers.

*watches an hour of different iterations of bearded man shooting bad monster*

hmmm, so this is what mature entertainment looks like

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ruflux posted:

I'm inclined to agree that too many of the shorts use basically the same style, but you have to remember that realistic CG is basically not a thing outside of video game CG trailers and such. It's not really a surprise then that given the opportunity, many studios specializing in that jumped at the chance to produce original, more mature shorts with a similar style in an attempt to prove the medium is viable for more than just trailers. Yes, it does get a bit tiring by the end, but I feel it's a bit unfair to call them generic or unoriginal.

It’s not the style; it’s the substance. They have all this gorgeous, varied animation at their fingertips and what kind of stories do they choose to tell? As the post above me states: multiple versions of grizzled dude does a shootmans.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 27, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

BioTech posted:

Mindset for a jarhead is that they are tough, mean killers, the manliest of all, fighting machines with no equal, bla bla bla.
Constantly being confronted by someone who is just naturally better than you at all those things sounds like it could be pretty emasculating.

I watched it with my friend who just got out of the Army last year, and his take was "lol what, everyone would love these guys just from the standpoint that they can draw fire from other guys who can't survive getting shot."

On the whole, that was probably my least favorite short. Most of them were at least pretty to look at, at points, but Shape-Shifters didn't really even have that going for it, and had a worse story than most.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BioTech posted:

There's a bit in Jarhead where Swofford empathize with the shellshocked Iraqi Republican Guard prisoners who've been told that, first, the biggest, baddest hombres on the planet; and, secondly, that they believed all the propaganda about their enemy, like eating babies and all that, and were defeated by all manner of weaponry they never heard of. He remarked for a Marine to really get into that sort of headspace, he imagined them fighting invisible space aliens attacking beyond visual range.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Zima Blue was good in part because it took advantage of the medium in ways (most) of the other shorts didn't. Besides the plot itself -- which was better (and sadder) than the others -- it had the striking visuals of him painting planet rings and making a mural that reaches up to space. I have a soft spot for big dumb sci fi concepts like that. It's not enough to hold a story on it's own but the story itself had a neat little resolution.

Aquila Rift was probably my second favorite, and I was surprised to find they're both based on Alistar Reynolds shorts. Were any of the others here based on things, or all original? There's a LOT of cool sci fi short stories around that would be cool to animate. I wanna see Diamond Dogs, that novella of his always stuck with me for some reason...

Edit: they're almost all based on something: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love,_Death_%26_Robots has a listing. Worth noting re: the masculine oo-rah nature of most of the shorts that Helping Hand was the only one based on something written by a woman.

Good Hunting was maybe my third favorite, I just wish it wasn't structured around sexual abuse. :/

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 27, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Panfilo posted:

Speaking of which, it seemed like the Occultists didn't have any backup plan beyond just waving a little pendant at the ghouls. It seemed like they couldn't control them at all.

The commander guy says they don't have air support because the battle of stalingrad is happening and they need them all there. OK. But then it seems like literally the next morning hundreds of planes are bombing the gently caress out of the ghouls? :psyduck:

:mil101: Air support that could directly assist with a fight on the ground would likely require smaller, more maneuverable attack aircraft like the IL-2, which would have to be flying out of an airbase relatively near the combat zone (Which would require all kinds of logistics to get fuel, parts, and ammunition to the base, which presumably would be extremely remote). Strategic bombers on the other hand have a much longer range, and depending on where the incident took place, could fly to bomb both the exposed burrow from altitute as well as Stalingrad without having to fly to a different base. (Also, presumably the commander's son told them "It's even worse than we thought," which presumably sped up the process a little).

Anyway, Secret War was a fun short and I really enjoyed it. Even if it didn't have much going on beyond "Soviets fighting spooky monsters", it had a simple premise and story and executed them well. Same with Lucky 13—simple story, but a complete story and told pretty well. But at the same time, I can absolutely understand why people wouldn't enjoy them as much. I will say, though-

Taear posted:

If Lucky 13 was just set right now it'd be entirely the same, the sci-fi angle wasn't useful or needed.

I don't think that's quite fair. The sci-fi angle was useful from a couple different perspectives—most modern helicopters typically aren't as physically imposing as a sci-fi dropship, and there was an underlying question of "Does this ship have AI? Did it really have a personality, or was that just the crew projecting on to an inanimate object?" that you'd lose in a more contemporary setting.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

Good Hunting was maybe my third favorite, I just wish it wasn't structured around sexual abuse. :/

Good Hunting could have very profitably ended at the halfway point with "Did you find any cubs?" "No, father."

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Skippy McPants posted:

It’s not the style; it’s the substance. They have all this gorgeous, varied animation at their fingertips and what kind of stories do they choose to tell? As the post above me states: multiple versions of grizzled dude does a shootmans.

Yeah that was my problem with a bunch of the episodes. Great art style, terrible, terrible stories. Shape-Shifters felt like an ostracized Jarhead with a latent furry fetish wrote it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Doltos posted:

Yeah that was my problem with a bunch of the episodes. Great art style, terrible, terrible stories. Shape-Shifters felt like an ostracized Jarhead with a latent furry fetish wrote it.

Marko Kloos, the guy who wrote the generally excellent Frontlines series. If he was ostracized, it was from the Bundeswehr.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Madurai posted:

Good Hunting could have very profitably ended at the halfway point with "Did you find any cubs?" "No, father."

I dunno, the pair of friends fighting back against their colonial oppressors was cool. It just fuckin’ sucked that the guy got science-wizard powers while the gal got rape and mutilation. That was... more than a little unbalanced.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 27, 2019

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

Edit: they're almost all based on something: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love,_Death_%26_Robots has a listing. Worth noting re: the masculine oo-rah nature of most of the shorts that Helping Hand was the only one based on something written by a woman.

Sucker of Souls was too.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I don't think that's quite fair. The sci-fi angle was useful from a couple different perspectives—most modern helicopters typically aren't as physically imposing as a sci-fi dropship, and there was an underlying question of "Does this ship have AI? Did it really have a personality, or was that just the crew projecting on to an inanimate object?" that you'd lose in a more contemporary setting.

Maybe if you're in the military? I dunno, at no point did I think anything other than she was anthropomorphising it because that's what people do, coupled with the mystery of the number. Then the end would still make you go "oooh what if??".

Skippy McPants posted:

At least it's showing off that animation can be used for something else and maybe we'll get better stories later?

Alternative histories was still my absolute least favourite and actively annoyed me.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

EmptyVessel posted:

Sucker of Souls was too.

Oh right, eyes glazed right over that one. I thought it was cute and better than average, but sorta so hellboy-esque that it felt kinda derivative. just gimme an amazing screw on head series, Netflix.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
With Lucky number 13 I think it also has to do with the supersticious nature people develop when the outcomes of their task have a lot of variables beyond their direct control (pitching in baseball, fishing, flying combat aircraft, etc). There might have been many sorties where the pilot and crew did everything 'right' but died horribly anyway, while you could have a bunch of greenhorns blundering their way home in one piece. So then people develop all these little rituals they think might help tilt things in their favor, like brushing the serial plate with their fingers as they walk by. They were subtle about whether there was an AI doing stuff or not. If, for example, the pilot had gotten knocked out/incapacitated and woke up with the dropship back at base it would have been more obvious that there was some sort of 'autopilot' watching over her.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, did anybody say DeviantArt the Show? I never thought I'd see fetish erotica in the Spiderverse art style on Netflix

Zima Blue was cool and I liked his voice so the narration was cool with me, but I had expected Zima to simply continue making bigger and bigger blue canvases until he cut his planet off from its sun or something, like a modern art paperclip maximizer.

Alternative Histories: I didn't find this one to be that annoying, I liked it. The art style was terrible but the jokes were ok. I liked the squid landing on Mars in 3 million years.

All the rah rah military ones were garbo and there were way too many sexy women being gorily killed but it was kind of coherent and engaging throughout. Beyond the Aquila Rift was cool for how nakedly it wore its influences on its sleeve.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Liked Zima Blue and that's about it. Bleck.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Shape-Shifters was so bad lol. Most of the others have some sort of redeeming quality to them but that one was just goofy as hell. I haven’t watched the last three yet.

When The Yogurt Took Over has Maurice LaMarche narrating, so it was worth watching for that even if it has a downer ending.

I let my 2nd grader watch Zima Blue and he liked it a lot. (No I did not let him watch any other episodes.)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Labes for days posted:

Shape-Shifters was so bad lol. Most of the others have some sort of redeeming quality to them but that one was just goofy as hell.

The part where he deep throats the other guy’s face to bite his head is unintentionally hilarious, so there’s that, at least.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
I thought it was gonna be some sort of weird vore thing. Like he swallows the other werewolf whole and becomes a Double Werewolf. They operate on highlander rules right?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I thought the most ridiculous part of Shape-Shifters was right at the beginning where he went on all fours and used his wolf sense to... eagle eye the sniper? I didn't know wolves were known for their eyesight.

Also I just knew there would be multiple CGI penises in that episode.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

NmareBfly posted:

Aquila Rift was probably my second favorite, and I was surprised to find they're both based on Alistar Reynolds shorts. Were any of the others here based on things, or all original? There's a LOT of cool sci fi short stories around that would be cool to animate. I wanna see Diamond Dogs, that novella of his always stuck with me for some reason...

Yeah, I loved the concepts behind that one, as well. But it was another case where the juvenile edginess behind the whole thing got right under my fingernails. "He gets out of the tank and there's the hottest girl he's ever seen, even in her spacesuit she's hot, and later she throws on a sexy dress and they totally bang. Then they talk but don't worry she's in panties so she's still hot." It totally undercut my investment in what was happening, to say nothing of this Evanescence-ish rock ballad they kept playing.

The reveal is still great, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think it's pretty cool beyond the shock reveal. The creature thing kept saying it genuinely cared for the lost souls trapped in the hive and kinda teared up when it saw the captain again on the reboot. Makes me want to know more about the hive and stuff.