Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Perhaps we should stop arguing and just agree that Silverstone is dogshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I don’t like COTA at all but I don’t like pretty much any of these modern glass smooth boring F1 layouts that insist on chaining high speed corners together to make F1 look good on TV. Just ruins the racing.

That said I’m happy that attendance looked good, and the facilities obviously are nice, so hopefully it sticks around.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

WindyMan posted:

Is it bad because of the design, or is it bad because the cars that primarily race on it are bad for it?

For example, The Goodwood Circuit would be bad if F1 cars ran on it, but for the period cars that race on it it's perfect.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, I just want to get an idea of how that factors in to your opinion.

i'm not sure which track you're referring to.

with cota i think i've made it clear why i think it's bad, though i didn't yet mention the fact that turn 1 is a hot load of dogshit that takes a great opportunity to do something rad and memorable and pisses that opportunity right down its leg. well now i have mentioned that, so there we go. with silverstone, it's just an atrocious track and it kinda has been since the 90's modifications to it. i don't view the new layout any worse than the one they were running up until a few years ago but that's mostly because my eyes just glaze over any time any modern silverstone variant comes up. it's got that one section with the esses that is pretty fun, every other turn is just slow and bad and a perfect example of what i hate about modern track design.

Cygni posted:

I don’t like COTA at all but I don’t like pretty much any of these modern glass smooth boring F1 layouts that insist on chaining high speed corners together to make F1 look good on TV. Just ruins the racing.

That said I’m happy that attendance looked good, and the facilities obviously are nice, so hopefully it sticks around.

f1 tracks don't even really chain high speed corners together that much. they're mostly just tracks that go out of their way to slow you down every single turn and focus on being ~technical~ to the detriment of everything else a track can be. yas marina most clearly displays this, but all their (modern) tracks do this a lot. there's also the huge issue of track limits meaning fuckin nothing on these modern gp tracks. ran wide on a turn? it's fine, feel free to do it every corner if you wish because why would we want to punish bad driving. the indycar race was of course absolutely full of exactly this which is part of why i don't think it was a very good (albeit not bad, i.e. entirely mediocre) race. i mean gently caress i'm not asking for walls or grass to kill drivers who gently caress up but at least add some kind of coarse material that fucks up their tires or something.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Watkins Glen is perfect.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i'm not sure which track you're referring to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9nIQr3ijlg

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KingShibby posted:

Track is great other than the massive amounts of paved runoff but it is what it is.

And when the massive paved runoff is for safety, complaining about it seems like a dick move as a spectator. Its the same as complaining about the Halos in F1 IMO.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i mean gently caress i'm not asking for walls or grass to kill drivers who gently caress up but at least add some kind of coarse material that fucks up their tires or something.

Yeah agree

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

And when the massive paved runoff is for safety, complaining about it seems like a dick move as a spectator. Its the same as complaining about the Halos in F1 IMO.

mostly safety for the motorcycle racing, and the nature of tracks means it's hard to add something "just" for cars or to make it removable in some way. I haven't watched the race/highlights yet, but it's a fine balance between "running it out wide" versus "abusing the idea of limits."

that said, the calendar for IndyCar doesn't include too many tracks like this, so it's a change of pace in and of itself. Barber, Road America, Portland, Mid Ohio, and the other natural tracks are much harsher because they all have grass right up to the edge, and the street circuits of course are real strict by design. Letting them go nuts once a year at COTA is fine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

harperdc posted:

that said, the calendar for IndyCar doesn't include too many tracks like this, so it's a change of pace in and of itself.

See, this is how I look at it. If all the tracks were the same, even if we picked the "best" track, that would be boring. Variety is cool and good and tests which drivers are really the best.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

WindyMan posted:

Is it bad because of the design, or is it bad because the cars that primarily race on it are bad for it?

I think tracks like Motegi and Paul Ricard are usually pretty drat boring for cars, but motorcycle races there can be huge fun.

Big Huski Boi posted:

Perhaps we should stop arguing and just agree that Silverstone is dogshit

:yeah:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Paul Ricard is dope, they should use a different layout every time F1 goes there imo.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I hated Paul Ricard watching it but once I drove it in a video game I kinda had it grow on me.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Build more Monzas and Spas

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

dentist toy box posted:

I hated Paul Ricard watching it but once I drove it in a video game I kinda had it grow on me.

Paul Ricard is poo poo.
It's not bad to drive on, but the same can be said of Albert "this track is hot trash" Park.

The stupid lines on the side just accentuate the awful. It's a test track, not a race track.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Build more Monzas and Spas

The state that Bathurst is in is going to spend like a billion (Aus, so like $USD50) knocking down stadiums it doesn't need to to rebuild them even though it doesn't need to.
If they just made Mount Panorama an actual track with things like "safety flag displays" and "cameras on most of the track" and other things that "modern race tracks" have (and a few other major changes, such as shipping all the NIMBYs in the area on a one way trip to the sun) they could have one of the worlds genuinely great tracks. But alas.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Every single year I forget how loving terrible Albert Park is

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Big Huski Boi posted:

Every single year I forget how loving terrible Albert Park is

It's a fun track to drive in the video games, but it produces some of the worst racing the world has ever seen. I would hate it with an undying passion if it wasn't also the only time I was likely to see top grade racing.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Paul Ricard is good you retards.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Again with the discrimination against power circuits.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Frond posted:

retards

hey this isn't cool, don't do this.

Anyways I've been going through my bazillion photos. I'll dox myself and link the album here. Check in over the week as I go through the other 60% of my photos that I took :shobon:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spaced God posted:

hey this isn't cool, don't do this.

It's this, thank you.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

f1 tracks don't even really chain high speed corners together that much.

we must have a different definition of high speed corner homie. but yeah paul ricard sucks cota sucks F1 tracks suck, but hey as long as the promoter keeps payin im cool with it. if anything, we could still stand to pick up a race or two.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

COTA still has 2 more years before the race contract renewal, thankfully.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
You guys are really gonna have to explain why Paul Ricard is bad.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Frond posted:

You guys are really gonna have to explain why Paul Ricard is bad.

visually loud
looks like a parking lot
france
euros really love it
france
paved runoffs
looks like one of those awful drag strip road courses like Indy Raceway Park or Donnybrooke but doesn't have drag racing as an excuse

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

:sherman:

:magemage:

:popeye:

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 26, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Paul Ricard is cool because it's insanely long and Signes is one of the best corners ever

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

more tracks should have choose your own path sections tbh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think Paul Ricard always looked like a highway, it just used to have dirt instead of the grippy bits but that's when it became mostly a test track and not an actively used racetrack for a bit.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Is this a goatse magic eye picture?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think Paul Ricard always looked like a highway, it just used to have dirt instead of the grippy bits but that's when it became mostly a test track and not an actively used racetrack for a bit.

The Mistral straight sorta reminds me of a runway. Or did, rather.

I miss the dirt and the Red-Yellow-Blue curbs. Also it’s a track where both of the main layouts worked pretty well.

Frond fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 26, 2019

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul Ricard seems like a neat track if you are the type of person that thinks tracks should be designed on a sheet of paper and then imposed on the countryside and think taco bell mild sauce is too ethnic

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Cygni posted:

Paul Ricard seems like a neat track if you are the type of person that thinks tracks should be designed on a sheet of paper and then imposed on the countryside and think taco bell mild sauce is too ethnic

It was probably designed on a sheet of paper because it opened in 1969. Also it was financed by an insane rich French alcohol man.

Have you ever watched any F1 races there? It produced good racing, better than notorious piece of poo poo Magny-Cours.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
So, essentially Paul Ricard is bad because it is in France where FIA is based, has weird runoff, and F1 races on it. Thanks everyone.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Frond posted:

Have you ever watched any F1 races there? It produced good racing, better than notorious piece of poo poo Magny-Cours.

Magny Cours had coulthard giving the finger to schumacher hence its the superior french venue

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Since we have established that Paul Ricard is a white person track per Cigni, I am very interested in his opinion on what race circuits are beloved by people of color. Is it Brands Hatch, Mosport or hell maybe Lime Rock Park

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I unfortunately watched the race there last year but all the "modern" F1 tracks look and race nearly identically (bad) so I can't remember anything about it other than all the lovely runoffs looked extra weird when watching the race on fast forward, the only way to watch F1 races

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Since we have established that Paul Ricard is a white person track per Cigni, I am very interested in his opinion on what race circuits are beloved by people of color. Is it Brands Hatch, Mosport or hell maybe Lime Rock Park

Suzuka, Sugo, Old Fuji and Autopolis.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Ah yes, Suzuka and Interlagos are exactly the same.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Paul Ricard was designed in the 1960s and the only way it's layout is "modern" is that it has a really long straight, which has the decency to end in a really fast challenging corner and not a hairpin like most other recent tracks.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Need I remind you that France is also the country where they eat live birds. I don’t think they would have an issue with Taco Bell Sauce tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frond posted:

Need I remind you that France is also the country where they eat live birds. I don’t think they would have an issue with Taco Bell Sauce tbh.

The one country which hates spicy food more than America is Argentina.

Also the 1995 layout of Buenos Aries is literally the worst F1 circuit of all time, except for the morbid curiosity of racing F1 on a circuit that would still have been a bit too twisty for touring cars.