Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

TinTower posted:

the rare left-wing lovely macro:

Oh no! A comedian who wears women’s clothes, a gay rights activist, and a woman with blue hair!
I will follow Eddie Izzard into hell, please don't tell me if he's on the wrong side of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
He’s bang in the centre of Labour politics, AIUI: he didn’t get the pro-Corbyn slate endorsement for the last round of elections, but is conciliatory enough to Corbyn that he got a lot of votes from Corbyn supporters who couldn’t countenance voting for someone who was strongly accused of being anti-Semitic.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

nsaP posted:

People think that because that is the product that colleges are putting out. Unless you get it paid for, spending 6 figures for a degree in the classics is stupid.

And double lol at capitalism ruining our species, capitalism is what brought us out of the dark ages.

On the off chance that you're serious, go find a copy of Hirschman's The Passions and the Interests and make your best effort at reading it.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Hello Sailor posted:

On the off chance that you're serious, go find a copy of Hirschman's The Passions and the Interests and make your best effort at reading it.

"i dont need no book to tell me what i already know and what is common cents!" - love grandma

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Have a :rolleyes: forwarded political photo of a newspaper clipping.

Tag you are selves, I'm the bringing up kids without state aid (forwarder is a boomer and definitely born themselves after the Family Allowances Act 1945, let alone their kids).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Guavanaut posted:

Tag you are selves, I'm the bringing up kids without state aid (forwarder is a boomer and definitely born themselves after the Family Allowances Act 1945, let alone their kids).

I am the unlocked door, because if there was no murders on your block in 1960 then there were no murders anywhere in the country

Also lol at bragging about your cold bath.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm trying to think of a time before state aid and carpeting but after widespread alcoholism. Maybe alcohol didn't count as a drug.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No antibiotics either, but I guess it's missing the bit where one of the kids gets a thorn in their finger at the park and dies. Maybe that's the third verse.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

CuddleCryptid posted:

I am the unlocked door, because if there was no murders on your block in 1960 then there were no murders anywhere in the country

Also lol at bragging about your cold bath.

Not just a cold bath, no bath at all. Just a cold tap and I guess a handful of nettles to scrub with?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Throwing away my tin bath and scrubbing myself with lumps of coal under a cold standpipe to own the libs.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Everything went a lot easier for me back then when I was a tall, heavy meat-faced man who faced adversity with threats of violence. Back then I cleaned the coal dust from my naugahyde skin with a sluice of ice water, scrubbing myself down on the hard winter lawn inches from the pebbledash walls. Gin and lager swim behind my eyes, filling my mind with contempt for this flaccid man I've become, a custard-fed warm-shower slug who daren't raise a hand against his own sissy grandson.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Guavanaut posted:

I'm the part that conflates LSD with medicine.

"Life was hard and I'll be god damned if future people are going to have life easier!" Go gently caress yourself likely dead pretend person.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In my day when people had seizures we just pumped them full of bromine until they got nerve poisoning.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Back in my day we walked uphill both ways for 10 miles for anything. Everything had lead in it which we constantly ate and played with. We also used to shower in mercury cause we were fuckin dumb. Signed a 70 year old boomer that grew up in a suburb and could live off lovely wage and isn’t actually real.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

These are always great because that person could save a bunch of money by living in a trailer without hot running water or heat and air, and never going on vacation or out boating or whatever and driving an old beater to work, but

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Please don't forget the lovely science of Lobotomies if you weren't conforming right.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Guavanaut posted:

Did this guy live in a loving Disney movie? Everyone (men only) whistling and singing all day, how obnoxious this poo poo must be.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
It was totally like that before the immigrants came. Er, I mean, before the entitled new generation mucked things up.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Cerepol posted:

Please don't forget the lovely science of Lobotomies if you weren't conforming right.

Also state-enforced mandatory sterilization for promiscuity and "mental retardation."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Orange Devil posted:

Did this guy live in a loving Disney movie? Everyone (men only) whistling and singing all day, how obnoxious this poo poo must be.
They were all having constant mild alcohol withdrawal seizures due to the lack of valium.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wow so true.

Guess we should have done what we would if it was an Islamic terrorist massacring people at a church and instead demanded that moderate whites condemn white radicals, forcibly silenced and deplatformed white hate preachers, and deported white nationalists back to Caucasia or Atlantis or wherever even if they were born here.

Wait where are you going?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I guess the real aim of this white supremacist wasn't heralding in RaHoWa but instead achieving gun control legislation in New Zealand.

Clever, truly.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Orange Devil posted:

I guess the real aim of this white supremacist wasn't heralding in RaHoWa but instead achieving gun control legislation in New Zealand.

Clever, truly.

Always remember the wingnut projection factor: these folks come up with these narratives because it's what they want to be able to do and are shakingly furious about their inability to, or the unwillingness of their Strong Daddy social and policy leaders to do so.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

"Most of us actually came here-"

Actually no most of you didn't. No one who shares poo poo like this immigrated from anywhere. The person forwarding this is probably some dumb rear end in a top hat who just happened to be born in like rural Iowa or something.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Grimdude posted:

"Most of us actually came here-"

Actually no most of you didn't. No one who shares poo poo like this immigrated from anywhere. The person forwarding this is probably some dumb rear end in a top hat who just happened to be born in like rural Iowa or something.

They also have literally no idea what their own ancestors went through in their own immigration, or care for that matter.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Zerilan posted:

They also have literally no idea what their own ancestors went through in their own immigration, or care for that matter.

Sure they do; they did it "The Right Way."

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

Sure they do; they did it "The Right Way."

The right way being coming over before current immigration laws existed, then creating those laws to shut the door behind them.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Zerilan posted:

The right way being coming over before current immigration laws existed, then creating those laws to shut the door behind them.

Well of course it sounds bad when you put it that way. :v:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Unpopular Opinion: Us treating any talk about ways to avoid being sexually assaulted as victim blaming is extremely stupid and dangerous.

Encouraging women to take steps to avoid sexual assault is not victim blaming.

Telling a person that walking in a slum area with gold chains in the middle of the night is not victim blaming. Telling women that it isn't smart to get black out drunk in a bar is not victim blaming. It's loving common sense.

"Teach boys and men not to rape" is a very sexist and misandrist statement and it drives me mad how it is even socially acceptable to say such a thing. It is a completely hate filled statement that won't solve anything.

Imagine that people start saying that "we should tell Muslims not to be terrorists". And people start saying that we shouldn't have any security protocol in public malls/events cause "terrorists shouldn't kill people". It's racist and stupid.

Who is this statement even supposed to addressing? The 99.99% of men who already abhor rape? Or the actual rapists who will not be rapists anymore if we tell them "raping is wrong"?

The way people treat any suggestion that women take some sort of responsibility towards their well being as "perpetuating rape culture" is extremely infuriating.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Native Americans were here when you were from there

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

DrNutt posted:

There's a decent Chapo lately that's just Amber and some leftist UK Professor who talks about why the EU was bad from a leftist perspective, mainly how undemocratic the EU is, how it allows for extreme worker exploitation, and how it essentially is a big boon for multinational corporations and World Bank more so than the citizens of EU countries. Like I'm sure there were beneficial things that have helped some EU folks, but it sounds a lot like how NAFTA in the Americas was beneficial to wealthy/middle class people by providing cheaper goods via lovely exploitive labor practices. Which is becoming more apparent as wealth inequality grows and more of us keep getting slotted into the hosed over labor classes at the bottom rather than a functioning middle class.

Unfortunately, Chapo is chronically terrible at economics, social policy and history. Yannis Varoufakis (the leftist economics prof who ran Greece for a short bit during the crash) isn't even fundamentally opposed to the EU, more so to their crappy austerity policies.

What the EU does that NAFTA does not, is assure the free the movement of peoples as well as goods/capital. This goes a long way to defraying some of the horseshit inequality caused by capitalism. Polish tradesmen (for example) can/could go and work and live in Britain (while transferring some of that wealth out of the British economy back to their families), making sure that Poland isn't trapped in some endless cycle of comparative advantage hell, where say Polish natural resources are strip-mined but Poland isn't able to develop a functional local economy (i.e. many developing nations). On the other hand, a skilled Mexican laborer is stuck legally waiting on the other side of the border for about 15 years, while the surplus value of their labor is exported to the US, never to return.

Incidentally, part of the racism driving Brexit was caused by East European trades moving into the UK to work.

Basically, Brexit will take Britain back to the NAFTA stage... all the free-market exploitation without any of the labor mobility. It will be significantly worse for labor both in and outside the UK. International trade is both a boon and a curse, but opting for Autarky or less labor mobility via a "lexit" is about the same kind of nonsense.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Unfortunately, Chapo is chronically terrible at economics, social policy and history. Yannis Varoufakis (the leftist economics prof who ran Greece for a short bit during the crash) isn't even fundamentally opposed to the EU, more so to their crappy austerity policies.

What the EU does that NAFTA does not, is assure the free the movement of peoples as well as goods/capital. This goes a long way to defraying some of the horseshit inequality caused by capitalism. Polish tradesmen (for example) can/could go and work and live in Britain (while transferring some of that wealth out of the British economy back to their families), making sure that Poland isn't trapped in some endless cycle of comparative advantage hell, where say Polish natural resources are strip-mined but Poland isn't able to develop a functional local economy (i.e. many developing nations). On the other hand, a skilled Mexican laborer is stuck legally waiting on the other side of the border for about 15 years, while the surplus value of their labor is exported to the US, never to return.

Incidentally, part of the racism driving Brexit was caused by East European trades moving into the UK to work.

Basically, Brexit will take Britain back to the NAFTA stage... all the free-market exploitation without any of the labor mobility. It will be significantly worse for labor both in and outside the UK. International trade is both a boon and a curse, but opting for Autarky or less labor mobility via a "lexit" is about the same kind of nonsense.

One of the problems specifically pointed out in that episode is that "free movement" means that a Polish laborer, for instance, working in Britain, is subject to Polish labor laws and wages rather than British ones. So while it might be good in some ways, it also means Britain can import an essentially endless supply of exploited laborers, which can certainly lead to hosed up local economic issues. If that's not accurate in some way then I'd be happy to be corrected in my understanding.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

DrNutt posted:

One of the problems specifically pointed out in that episode is that "free movement" means that a Polish laborer, for instance, working in Britain, is subject to Polish labor laws and wages rather than British ones. So while it might be good in some ways, it also means Britain can import an essentially endless supply of exploited laborers, which can certainly lead to hosed up local economic issues. If that's not accurate in some way then I'd be happy to be corrected in my understanding.

What you're talking about are posted workers, which is a specific subgroup of workers who temporarily move across national borders for their already existing work. (I.e. if the German branch of airbus sends an engineer to work with in a French office for a month to coordinate a project). This is distinct from workers who emigrate and then open a business in their new country, those integrate into the local labour market and have to follow its laws.
Now, to be clear, there's plenty of abuses of the posted workers directive, but they are not the entirety of European labour migration.

re: Varoufakis: He is actually currently working on campaigning for the Democracy in Europe Movement, which is a transnational party running for the European parliament on a platform of reforming the EU to be more participatory, so if there's any Eurogoons itt you should check that out, especially those from Germany, as he is running on the German ticket to get into the EP.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Ironically Britain was one of the main drivers of EU expansion into the former Warsaw Pact area.

Part of the thinking behind it was that previous waves of necessary migration (African-Caribbean people moving to the Mainland from the British West Indies after WW2 to help rebuild; South Asians moving from East Africa and Pakistan in the 60s) precipitated a massive racist reaction, which led to the Commonwealth Immigrants Act 1962 and Immigration Act 1971 (which in turn sped up the process of the Caribbean territories saying "lol gently caress off then" and declaring independence).

So the idea was something like "if we build up a mobile labor pool of white people, they won't be an easy target like with previous waves of migration".

This worked well. :geno:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
So much good bullshit in this one

Lol I love the "telling people not to wear gold chains in slums is not victim blaming" - no, it literally is that. You're telling a theoretical robbery victim that they deserved it. To say nothing of how unlikely it would be for a poor person to decide to gently caress with someone that would clearly call the police.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I don't know.. Like sure, that may be true on a theoretical level, but is it a good idea to encourage a person to accept drinks from random strangers?

Of course it would be great if we ever reached a point where that would be fine, and of course it's not the victim's FAULT that they got roofied, but you can still do things to avoid bad outcomes without it being your FAULT if it happens anyway. You can still get in a car accident even if you're a perfect driver and weren't at fault and it's not victim blaming to tell people to drive carefully.

The rest of it betrays their true intent, though and the people who give this kind of "advice" to women ARE victim blaming and coming from the angle of "women are temptresses and men can't help themselves" so gently caress them.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Watching unsolved mysteries on youtube and there was an add for The Blaze (glenn beck's channel) attacking Fox news for having liberal guests "When you watch fox, you're paying their salaries!"

so that was something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Guavanaut posted:

Wow so true.

Guess we should have done what we would if it was an Islamic terrorist massacring people at a church and instead demanded that moderate whites condemn white radicals, forcibly silenced and deplatformed white hate preachers, and deported white nationalists back to Caucasia or Atlantis or wherever even if they were born here.

Wait where are you going?

I just want to hear Conservative politicians say those three magic words "Radical Caucasian Terrorism"