Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

I think a vendor is asking me to send PII over FTP. And sent me the password over unencrypted email.

I can beat this, I worked at a place where we had a vendor transferring PII over FTP and dumping it in a directory with all of their other clients' data, every client shared the same username & password for uploading due to using the same vendor-provided all-in-one application, and all uploaded data was read/writable by the FTP user. The cherry on top was when we called them about getting the entire situation resolved, we had to pay them to update their software to be marginally less terrible. Also yes they still use them and no I don't know if they ever fixed it, I doubt it.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Coredump posted:

For what's pissing me off. We're a small team that works remote. We have a weekly call on Fridays that goes for an hour for everyone to update everyone else on what happening in their corner of the company. I've been tasked with updating the weekly agenda sheet to try and summarize what everyone says. The big boss says they want it more accurate. I say on the phone call, "ok everyone to make this happen please email me a summary of the section you go over on the call so I can add it to the agenda". Boss didn't like that idea because they don't want the excuse of waiting on someone to email their section to me to hold up updating the agenda.

I explain that since I've taken over the agenda its gone from a two page document to 8 pages as I try to keep up with what everyone is saying. If we're wanting to make sure the document is more accurate and not worry about everyone emailing me a summary of what they spoke about then I'm going to need to record the calls. They didn't like that idea either for reasons not said. But I'm struggling to think of a way to be able to listen to 5 minutes of someone speaking and be able to summarize what they say and keep it accurate without losing a detail.

5 minutes of speech can generate 3/4 of a page of words. The context of a point that someone is making can change quite a bit towards the end of what they say its hard for me to keep that in my head and summarize it without losing detail. I'm not sure what to do here.

If people won't email you a summary, and you're not allowed to record what they're saying, just take lovely notes.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I have 2 bosses - One is head of IT, naturally... The other is the Head of Facilities for the specific site I'm based on. The HoF understands by and large I just report to HoIT and lets me get on with things - however she just got promoted to oversee all our sites for the next 9 months and herr deputy is covering her role for the duration.

Her dep is a prize cock. There is an issue which caused a security concern, I provided a work around to remove the security concern so whilst the issue is still outstanding it's entirely non-urgent. Yet I get daily emails asking when I am going to bring an engineer on site to resolve as the issue is now highly urgent according to dep HoF.

Old HoF was on site today so I said I will have a word with him about why he feels the need to get so involved in my work but if this is how he plans to manage me for the next 9 months then it will likely result in the 3rd grievance Old HoF will have to deal with because someone has threatened to knock out Dep HoF

She laughed - everyone knows he is a bit of a melon, I just wanted to vent a bit... :)

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

mewse posted:

I was trying to type up a warning but my labtop froze up

I'm a few pages back, but this hits close to home. I do not know what is wrong with Canadians, but they appear to be unable to mail a laptop down to our Office without me getting a call from Canadian Customs asking about the type of lab equipment I am shipping across the border.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Contractor took down a departments server today.

By unplugging it at 2PM.

Not on purpose.

By running all the CAT5e for their equipment inside the cable management arm for said server, pulling the arm backwards and yanking the power cords out of both PSUs.

:psyduck:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Digital_Jesus posted:

Contractor took down a departments server today.

By unplugging it at 2PM.

Not on purpose.

By running all the CAT5e for their equipment inside the cable management arm for said server, pulling the arm backwards and yanking the power cords out of both PSUs.

:psyduck:

They're doing their best.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Is there ever any use case for Windows logon names starting or ending with white space?
We get so many calls from users failing to log on because something/someone typed a space character before their user name. Why can't Windows just loving strip whitespace before and after the user name.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
So many applications fail to do that. iPhones love putting the automatic space after usernames and emails, and so many sites respond "Username not found! Of course you meant to use yourmail@domain.com[space] because that's a valid email!"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lots of websites are poo poo at it as well. Got a field that only accepts numbers? Format it correctly so my phone keyboard pops up a number pad.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Man, I pulled such a rookie move last night.

I bought an m.2 and decided to do a fresh install of Windows 10. Got all my media prepped, USB key ready to go, important poo poo backed up to a spinner, no problems.
Installed Windows 10 on the m.2, it boots so fast even coming from a SATA SSD. Move files over, tweak settings, turn off junk, logged in to everything, all good and only took like, an hour.

Then I boot into PartedMagic and wipe the old SSDs.

...including my bootloader.

I had to reinstall Windows TWICE MORE - once to an SSD to move all my files from the m.2 back to the spinner, then again to the m.2 for a proper install. 0130 by the time I was done, two hours past when I should have been in bed, and I didn't even do the tweaks and cruft removal and program installs on the latest install.

God this was just such a dumb mistake. I would have done that in High School, I'm a professional dammit I should know better.

On the plus side, the m.2 is stupid fast and I think it's really neat to just plug a hard drive directly into your motherboard.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Windows installer can write a boot volume for you without having to go through the whole install process

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Iron_Chef posted:

Opinion of a random internet person:
The agenda is often the responsibility of the meeting chair; the individual responsible for keeping the meeting on time, to the agenda and enduring people get their fair chance to talk and cutting off those who are waffling.

Managing the agenda in your scenario should be quite straight forward by including only the usual standard items e.g. Welcome, apologies, accepting the previous minutes, Bob's report, Jenny's report etc plus the odd special agenda item. Any special agenda items to be discussed need to be sent to be included prior to the meeting. If the majority of a meeting is occuring in a catch all agenda item such as "Other business" you're doing it wrong. Any reports or summaries being referenced should absolutely be circulated prior to the meeting along with the agenda.

The record of the meeting is the Minutes and is recorded by the Secretary (a meeting task, not the kind person behind the front counter). As you highlight, capturing a discussion in a handful of dot points is a challenge but you will improve with practice. As the Secretary if something is not clear you are empowered to stop the meeting to seek clarification.

The Minutes should capture the spirit of the discussion, any hard facts and Action items arising and be circulated ASAP. It is the responsibility of all attending to review and ensure it is accurate and to provide amendments. At the next meeting the previous minutes are accepted, and if something is not in the accepted minutes then it didn't happen.

In my org the Chairperson is often $Boss, but some areas rotate it per a schedule as a development opportunity. In all but the most senior Steering groups the Secretary role is similarly rotated.

tldr;
If it's your responsibility, do it your way
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission
Managing upwards is a vital skill
gently caress printers
Get a quote from a transcription firm for the meetings. Provide that to your boss.

This is assuming given your presence here that you're in a tech role, and not, like, an administrative assistant.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I wonder which of these will ever happen first;

A - The heat death of the known universe
B - Presentations and board meetings no longer requiring IT presence to operate a projector

Bonus points that it always baffles me that external consultants can hold down a job without their own laptop, one day it would be great to simply say "Uh no sorry, we don't have anything to lend you do your job of showing us something".

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Super Slash posted:

I wonder which of these will ever happen first;

A - The heat death of the known universe
B - Presentations and board meetings no longer requiring IT presence to operate a projector

Bonus points that it always baffles me that external consultants can hold down a job without their own laptop, one day it would be great to simply say "Uh no sorry, we don't have anything to lend you do your job of showing us something".

I prefer it when they show up with their presentation on a thumb drive, and I don't have to support getting their laptop to work with our conference room. :shrug:

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Thanatosian posted:

I prefer it when they show up with their presentation on a thumb drive, and I don't have to support getting their laptop to work with our conference room. :shrug:

Agreed!!

I know my equipment works with the projector. We used it yesterday. And several times last week.

No I don't have an adapter for your Macbook.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Epicly pissing me off: vmware loving up my windows mdm enrollment certificate update. A week of backend bullshit for them to 1) not use my certificate i spent 400 dollars on and 2) doing a SS cert and thinking its fixed.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have 802.1x user auth to get on a VLAN. My admins have my desktop and that redirected with folder redirection. I run HyperV locally for docker. Most of the time when I sign in I get an error that it can’t find my desktop, and my taskbar is hosed and I lose everything pinned.

They are saying it’s due to 802.1X, I feel like there should be a delay, or they shouldn’t be redirecting my desktop. We’re at an empasse of wasting each other’s time.

Anyone else handled this case? Machine auth is not available.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Even if your folders are redirected, it should be caching them to the point where it's not a problem for you. If you're using a roaming profile then I feel bad for you, that's a pretty old way to roam your settings around now, you might get somewhere by having a GPO that sets "Always wait for network" but it's a pretty clunky fix.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pissing me off: a company refusing to negotiate on pay at all
Not pissing me off: knowing what kind of company it is and no longer having any compunctions about dropping it in an instant if I get a better offer. Although the description of it as a "family" kind of clued me in to begin with. What's that called? Friendly capitalism? Buddy capitalism?

mewse
May 2, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Not pissing me off: knowing what kind of company it is and no longer having any compunctions about dropping it in an instant if I get a better offer. Although the description of it as a "family" kind of clued me in to begin with. What's that called? Friendly capitalism? Buddy capitalism?

Nepotism

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's called "bullshit"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I generally found that any time a company/game guild/group claims a "family" atmosphere, it almost invariably actually means "do as Daddy says, or else :toughguy:".

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It’s called gtfo and :yotj:, unless you’re in said family.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Not an actual family-run company, two managers said that work is basically your family because you spend more time with them than you do with your real family. Like gee, thanks for reminding me that between work and commute I get more time at work than awake at home.

Still waiting to hear from that WFH job.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Partycat posted:

I have 802.1x user auth

lol

edit; for clarity: wired dot1x should be done with machine auth or eap-tls with user auth as a fallback mechanism (followed by macauth usually), not user auth specifically because of problems like this.

abigserve fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 27, 2019

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Vendors introducing products in 2018/2019 without SMB 2.0/3.0 support.

Was looking at some network document scanners... It is surprising how many of these still don't support SMB 2/3. Even new models!

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
That moment in the presentation when you realise the service being developed at great expense is a 'Facebook, but for.....'

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Shut up Meg posted:

That moment in the presentation when you realise the service being developed at great expense is a 'Facebook, but for.....'

The amount of startups that flow through my organization that are ‘FB but for” companies is legion.

The amount of duplicates? [Legion - 15%]

Please, for the love of all that is necessary, do a teeeny tiny bit of market research before diving into a market. Please?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Agrikk posted:

The amount of startups that flow through my organization that are ‘FB but for” companies is legion.

The amount of duplicates? [Legion - 15%]

Please, for the love of all that is necessary, do a teeeny tiny bit of market research before diving into a market. Please?

What's the point of the cloud then huh smart guy?

Fail fast fail often

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Uber but for serial adapters and console cables at 3am

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Thanks Ants posted:

Uber but for serial adapters and console cables at 3am

Facebook but for people who use this Uber service.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Facebook but for old nerds that can't let go of dead gay things

eames
May 9, 2009

The Fool posted:

Fail fast fail often

I just witnessed a defective HP UPS that briefly and silently (!) cut power to the attached small business Windows/Oracle SQL server every few hours. No beep, no log entry, nothing. This was of course discovered after swapping the power supplies.
Lovely failure mode. :shobon:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Fool posted:

Awful Yearbook shut down already.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Fool posted:

So... MySpace, then?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

eames posted:

I just witnessed a defective HP UPS that briefly and silently (!) cut power to the attached small business Windows/Oracle SQL server every few hours. No beep, no log entry, nothing. This was of course discovered after swapping the power supplies.
Lovely failure mode. :shobon:

Had a computer that kept randomly powering off. It would go hours or even weeks between power offs. Replaced the power supply and eventually the mobo. Still kept happening.

I was crawling under the desk to unplug it and cart it off to be swapped out when by chance I witnessed the light on the surge protector briefly go out and the computer shut off.. It was the drat surge protector the entire time!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Awful Yearbook shut down already.

Thank loving god. (Yes, I had an AYB page.)

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Not pissing me off today...

Found out Comcast hosed up when we acquired a new location 1.5 years ago and didn't renew the contract like they said was required. Instead they left the old one in place which just expired today.

So I am free to tell them to gently caress off without penalty, which is always good.

Now to find another provider.

Ironically, it can be difficult to find internet providers for a given area on the internet. I have run into so many cases where some local fiber outfit services an area, but you'll find no mention about it on the internet anywhere.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There must be so many small providers that miss out on business because they don't invest the small sums required to have their network coverage overlaid on a Google map and instead insist on having people email them to find out if they have a location that can be served. Nobody wants to start any sort of sales engagement if they don't have to, especially when the company in question just uses it as an opportunity to try and sell something completely different to what the whole reason for contacting them was. "No we don't serve your area with our fibre product, but you can buy a DSL product that we wholesale off the large incumbent provider that is marked up and presented through an awful billing platform if you like!". No, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

There must be so many small providers that miss out on business because they don't invest the small sums required to have their network coverage overlaid on a Google map and instead insist on having people email them to find out if they have a location that can be served. Nobody wants to start any sort of sales engagement if they don't have to, especially when the company in question just uses it as an opportunity to try and sell something completely different to what the whole reason for contacting them was. "No we don't serve your area with our fibre product, but you can buy a DSL product that we wholesale off the large incumbent provider that is marked up and presented through an awful billing platform if you like!". No, thanks.

I have discovered my state (Indiana) has a surprising amount of small independent telecoms. Most of them have roots as tiny companies that started a century ago providing copper phone service to one or two towns. In just the past year I have discovered 3 new ones I didn't even know existed that can service some of our branch locations. I prefer these smaller outfits; their service is always better, both technically and customer service wise.

My most recent discovery is one from a tiny town with a population of less than 1,000... but they have massively built out a huge fiber network to cover several counties and can actually service 2 of our locations. But yet you find zero mention of this on their own website, and only a fleeting post or two about it on Facebook. I only found out by chance as one of their employees happened to be in one of our stores and overheard a store manager arguing with the Comcast tech that was on-site at the time.