Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

What kills me is every time he wants to do some long dialog about something he just completely stops playing the game and you have to sit five minutes to hear him whine about something. Unsubscribed recently since I realized I was skipping around in the occasional video of his that I'd actually bother to load up and not really paying that much attention anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, LPs have been around a long time, we know how they work best. One person can do informed post commentary, you need at least two for live commentary. And skipping around like in the Travis Strikes Again LP is just always a bad idea. Show the game!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'd say some people can get away with live commentary, a bunch of streamers certainly manage it. Vinesauce Vinny comes to mind immediately. Also if you're an LPer who's style is to just play a few of the same games forever and just kind of ramble about tangents and such, you can manage solo commentary.

Really depends on your style and audience, but I mostly agree, solo-live-commentary doesn't really work for Matt. It might work okay in a format for something shorter where he has something specific to show off.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Streams are different, the second commentator is the chat. Even for stream archives that don't show the chat, the tone is markedly different just from the fact that it was there.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Meanwhile how are Liam's streams?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Only one of liams I've seen was the god of war one and it was like, multiple minutes of silence at times.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I watched the Pikmin upload on Youtube and it just made me wish he played more games that I wanted to watch because it was great.

He remembered a bunch of stuff about it because there was apparently a time when he would just load up the game every day during one summer break and beat it that session.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Solo streams are awful too imo and any chat interaction just makes them worse

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I thoroughly enjoyed Vinny's Mother 3 stream just watching the archives of it.

But Vinny might be the exception to the rule because I can't think of a ton of other solo streamers/LPers I enjoy.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Supergreatfriend's streams are pretty enjoyable.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dabir posted:

Yeah, LPs have been around a long time, we know how they work best. One person can do informed post commentary, you need at least two for live commentary. And skipping around like in the Travis Strikes Again LP is just always a bad idea. Show the game!

Some people can do good solo commentary, Matt cannot. He ultimately doesn't seem to have a strong enough opinion one way or the other to do it solo.

That said, I like that he edits out some of the dead parts where it's clearly just him doing repetitive combat with nothing to say, more lps in general need that

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I rewatched the LA Noire playthrough and wow Matt is such dead weight. No one ever laughs when he says "START SCREAMING!!" and yet he does it in every video. I haven't watched his solo channel but I'm not surprised to hear it sucks.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
most of my favorite sbf moments were from matt but the solo stuff is very different. it probably has an audience but not the same audience as sbf lps

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

PAT STOP TAKING ABOUT S-LINKING YOUR OWN FETUS

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Dabir posted:

Supergreatfriend's streams are pretty enjoyable.

That dude is probably the greatest solo LPer ever and its entirely based on his ability to riff off weird stuff unprompted anytime things get dull

Like the entire legend of Bully Demise was just him going off on a weird tangent about his random caw the game gave him

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

somepartsareme posted:

most of my favorite sbf moments were from matt but the solo stuff is very different. it probably has an audience but not the same audience as sbf lps

Matt's new channel is completely different content from his LPs, so it makes sense a lot of it is kinda mediocre. I unsubbed but plan to check back in a year or so, maybe he just needs some time to learn how to make more compelling content. Especially the video essays, those feel often rushed and milquetoast, like a Mother's Basement for bad video games.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
His Predator retrospective with the brahs from OSW Review was excellent. But he was bouncing off people in a directed conversation.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

His Predator retrospective with the brahs from OSW Review was excellent. But he was bouncing off people in a directed conversation.

I like all of his really long retrospective vids tbh.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3UB0WQywU0

Just going off the preview clip, this CSB might be too powerful.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, I have to agree with other folks, had to unsub from matt's channel because I haven't watched anything of his outside of Crymetina Critiques since like, the last Edgelords, maybe a cereal video. He's just not good solo. And then he dove right into Asura's Wrath and I had a momentary flicker of hope, but then remembered he hated it alongside pat and woolie, didn't he? no idea why he's playing through it now.

man, asura's wrath's story was fun as hell, shame the gameplay wasn't great

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3UB0WQywU0

Just going off the preview clip, this CSB might be too powerful.
Pat tries to advertise having the (Persona 5 Royal) FemaleJoker form an S-link with her unborn demonic fetus after getting knocked up in April.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm pretty convinced at this point that Pat didn't actually play P3P as femC

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

And then he dove right into Asura's Wrath and I had a momentary flicker of hope, but then remembered he hated it alongside pat and woolie, didn't he? no idea why he's playing through it now.

Maybe he's letting patrons choose games to LP? Which is a bad decision imo, fans can often pick games that are bad LPs just because they like it.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
asuras wrath is better than gurren lagaan something being 'important' matters for poo poo sbfp were cowards

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
In the latest DMC 5 episode: Woolie desperately trying to contain his orgasm while fixing controller foibles.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Contain nothing. Dude just pulled his Devil Trigger the moment Pat said the words Sin DT Gauge.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah, I have to agree with other folks, had to unsub from matt's channel because I haven't watched anything of his outside of Crymetina Critiques since like, the last Edgelords, maybe a cereal video. He's just not good solo. And then he dove right into Asura's Wrath and I had a momentary flicker of hope, but then remembered he hated it alongside pat and woolie, didn't he? no idea why he's playing through it now.

He dislikes the gameplay, but not in an interesting way (he's right that the whole thing should have been either cutscenes or had more depth to the combat). The only interesting comment he made thus far is that he feels the fight against the fat guy takes place too soon.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I feel like I'm obligated to watch this because of how much I love Asura's Wrath, but god do I not feel like hearing another Matt/Woolie spiel about how lame the game is

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I've been listening to the earliest Friendcasts and I have been feeling quite sad. I wish Pat and Woolie still discussed shows and anime at least monthly.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
the recent castle superbeasts have been rough listens for me. i dont say this often but i wish they would stick to games and anime because politics and current events are way out of their depth

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't really listen to the beastcast and know how annoying it is to listen to them ramble on about poo poo they misunderstood or have no experience with, but I still think them trying to have opinions about the world around them is better than conspicuously avoiding them.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
yeah i dont realistically expect them to stop expressing their beliefs about shits but in my heart i wish pat would not say things like "i hope if P5R has a feMC you can date the 12 year old so people get mad" or when they got so mad about the doa thing and framing it as "people cant handle female sexuality"

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I feel ya, it's part of why I stopped listening - not just the bad takes but realising how much of those reactions was them (mostly Pat) regurgitating other peoples' opinions or reactions to things, so they're not even first-hand lovely opinions a lot of the time.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Also listening to the podcast. I find it odd how much Woolie hated Birdbox. I thought the movie was "OK." Now part of that is probably also because I expected it to be an awful lame trashfire. Ultimately I felt it was predictable and shrug worthy. Woolie seems really really upset about it though.

Also I think it's odd that he says "You could solve the entire problem by just not looking at the monster. You could go on a stroll any day and just look at the ground and bam, problem solved!" From how people saw them in the movie I kind of feel like it's not as easy as just a monster strolling along casually and going: "Hey take a look over here buddy! Please? Aw come one.... Please? :( "

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
i haven’t seen the movie but i looked at the supposed monster design they cut and it looked like a deep fried angry baby

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Depths posted:

i haven’t seen the movie but i looked at the supposed monster design they cut and it looked like a deep fried angry baby

It looks like the alien from Mac and Me.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

somepartsareme posted:

or when they got so mad about the doa thing and framing it as "people cant handle female sexuality"

Which was this? The most recent DOA thing I can think of was the stuff where they were complaining about how the season pass was kinda gross, mostly from a monetizing whales perspective. I remember them qualifying someting to the degree of "we don't mind the tiddies/sexy lady stuff" but I don't remember too much of them framing complaints as being an issue with the content and not the money stuff. Mighta just went over my head.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Which was this? The most recent DOA thing I can think of was the stuff where they were complaining about how the season pass was kinda gross, mostly from a monetizing whales perspective. I remember them qualifying someting to the degree of "we don't mind the tiddies/sexy lady stuff" but I don't remember too much of them framing complaints as being an issue with the content and not the money stuff. Mighta just went over my head.

It was the Evo Japan "Core Values" stuff where they cut some girls off the stream for ......... compromising positions with the in game camera or something? I never follow tournaments and kind of checked out during that.

Depths posted:

Yeah it's weird that they made it a sort of humanoid design because it seemed in the movie to me like they were some kind of omnipresent thing. I'm pretty sure a large number of people were affected by looking into the sky.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm pretty sure they were making fun of Mr. Wizard about Core Values because they think it's stupid that tits are censored too heavily for americans.

They also hate Mr. Wizard because he's a money shilling hypocrite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

MaxDuo posted:

Also listening to the podcast. I find it odd how much Woolie hated Birdbox. I thought the movie was "OK." Now part of that is probably also because I expected it to be an awful lame trashfire. Ultimately I felt it was predictable and shrug worthy. Woolie seems really really upset about it though.

Also I think it's odd that he says "You could solve the entire problem by just not looking at the monster. You could go on a stroll any day and just look at the ground and bam, problem solved!" From how people saw them in the movie I kind of feel like it's not as easy as just a monster strolling along casually and going: "Hey take a look over here buddy! Please? Aw come one.... Please? :( "

its also really terrible besides the writing issues