Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

OldTennisCourt posted:

Humper Monkey was probably the highpoint of those threads because even though they were super obviously fake the stories never veered into the embarrassing self insert fanfiction those threads would devolve into.

Plus his ghost story thread is a classic thread.

There's an offsite archive of stuff from the Ghost Stories threads here:

http://nothotbutspicy.com/para/

Worth a read if you're in a spooky fiction mood. It's way easier than sifting through the actual threads for the posts you want to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Like, the one thing of fiction I ever wrote was in one of those old scary story threads, but I lost the word document on one of my old computers. It was about me and my friends camping and a loud noise and lost time. I've never been able to find it again. And I wrote it when I was really drunk so can't put it back together as well as I did it that first time.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Korgan posted:

Drama free? Didn't AI just have a thing with 14 Inch turning out to be a reprehensible piece of poo poo?

I mean, that was really the first high profile event I can recall that occurred since I started posting there, so I'd say 8 years or so is a pretty good run.
Its been the Dave thing, and the racist mustang guy, and that's really all the drama I can think of stemming from there.
Otherwise, it's a very accepting and caring forum. You can be LGBT, poly, a POC, and there's no judgment, no stereotyping. Even the most heated political discussions there tend to peter out pretty quickly.

And the Dave thing really came out of the blue, by all accounts up until then he had be doing fine, was on the road to recovery and then he was perma'd.
But even then AI still banded together, and turned that into a charity drive. And while this saga may have had a disappointing end, nobody really regrets anything they did.

We helped out somebody in need, and we'd all do it again.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ExplodingSims posted:

We helped out somebody in need, and we'd all do it again.

:hai:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sometimes it's important to remember that the qualifications to post here are "have $10" and "don't be permabanned."

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sometimes it's important to remember that the qualifications to post here are "have $10" and "don't be permabanned."

And the second one is only a qualification for some people if they get caught.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I was able to find at least part of one of the stories re: 50FA I was looking for before! Now I just need the 'got in a fight with a half-track' one.

50 Foot Ant posted:

I got caught break-dancing on top of stacks of MRLS rounds by a General (Still having my nervous break-down), who yelled at me to "GET THE gently caress DOWN, YOU MANIAC!" and challenged him to come up and make me. He took off his top, climbed up on the stack, and fought me in glorious hand to hand combat for the right to be "GOD-KING OF THE SITE!" while all of the privates I'd been given stared in shock and the long time members of the crew laughed and cheered. (He beat me and threw me bodily off the top of the 3-high stack and proclaimed himself the "Undisputed Overlord of All Officers Everywhere EVER" at the top of his lungs) I think he may have been crazy too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

ExplodingSims posted:

I mean, that was really the first high profile event I can recall that occurred since I started posting there, so I'd say 8 years or so is a pretty good run.
Its been the Dave thing, and the racist mustang guy, and that's really all the drama I can think of stemming from there.
Wasn't the motorcycle rapist also AI originally?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

WITCHCRAFT posted:

There's an offsite archive of stuff from the Ghost Stories threads here:

http://nothotbutspicy.com/para/

Worth a read if you're in a spooky fiction mood. It's way easier than sifting through the actual threads for the posts you want to read.

I actually enjoyed his stories before they all went crazy over the top off the rails with nazi zombie ghosts and white walkers and poo poo

Then I realized he was posting as at least 2 different people and totally invested in both persona's so deeply as to challenge anyone to their validity based on 'mah honor'

Still killed a few hours reading all his stuff

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Anne Whateley posted:

the motorcycle rapist

That was the worst Goosebumps book ever

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

Wasn't the motorcycle rapist also AI originally?

CA, which is a subforum of AI. And yeah, that rear end in a top hat, racist mustang guy and 14 inch were all I meant by "occasional". Again, if I came across as overstating things because I don't post so good, I'm sorry.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Blue On Blue posted:

I actually enjoyed his stories before they all went crazy over the top off the rails with nazi zombie ghosts and white walkers and poo poo

Then I realized he was posting as at least 2 different people and totally invested in both persona's so deeply as to challenge anyone to their validity based on 'mah honor'

Still killed a few hours reading all his stuff

I never got into his stuff despite pages worth of posts in the ghost story threads being “ooooh how scary, there is an ice ghost!” because every time I tried to read his latest update, I never got to any parts with ghosts. It was just ten million words to restate “here I was, a buff, handsome army soldier. Germany is cold in winter. I am wacky. There was a really hot female soldier.”

Presumably he got into actual ghost stories at some point but it was awful and I’m still baffled goons loved his poo poo. Like, enough to crowdfund physical copies of his one-handed wank fiction?

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

OldTennisCourt posted:

Humper Monkey was probably the highpoint of those threads because even though they were super obviously fake the stories never veered into the embarrassing self insert fanfiction those threads would devolve into.

Lol his stories were the epitome of "embarrassing self insert fanfiction". TWISTED STEEL AND SEX APPEAL.

Guy was supremely in love with himself to the point where he needed to be two people to contain it all.

Now Hellbastard on the other hand was simply a chef's kiss of a poster.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

The early Humper Monkey/50FA ghost stories were good because iirc the humper monkey ones ended with the hauntings just being the effects of wintering in an old-rear end building. The last 50FA ghost story was a clusterfuck of paranormal stuff including his surprise cousin who had supernatural powers and it tied back to some old family lore. It was really embarassing worldbuilding.

I miss the ghost stories threads though.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I remember when 50 f a wrote that a fridge was left open overnight and a sheet of ice formed in front, like a spooky ghost

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
His contributions to the worst gaming stories were just awful masturbation fodder but i think they were done at like the end of his tenure so he had a lot of momentum.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RagnarokAngel posted:

His contributions to the worst gaming stories were just awful masturbation fodder but i think they were done at like the end of his tenure so he had a lot of momentum.

Page upon page of dunking on Fatback the shopkeep

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I'm glad he's dead

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The one that gets brought up less often is when he pretended to be a Hawaiian (or possibly Native American?) girl who worked at a gun store in TFR and told stories about a reoccurring customer that just so happened to be written exactly like his gaming store stories with the roles reversed

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Alaois posted:

The one that gets brought up less often is when he pretended to be a Hawaiian (or possibly Native American?) girl who worked at a gun store in TFR and told stories about a reoccurring customer that just so happened to be written exactly like his gaming store stories with the roles reversed

Oh poo poo, I remember that one. Do you have a link to the thread? I think he got called out eventually but I don't remember how.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

It was in the midst of the "stupid overheard poo poo about guns" thread like 6 years ago so i dont

I want to say the account he used was called PallasAthene or something similar

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

Page upon page of dunking on Fatback the shopkeep
Perpetually Pregnant Wife

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

R.L. Stine posted:

Lol his stories were the epitome of "embarrassing self insert fanfiction". TWISTED STEEL AND SEX APPEAL.

Guy was supremely in love with himself to the point where he needed to be two people to contain it all.

It's true , his self insert characters were always low or mid level enlisted men , career army types who can never gain rank becuase they're just TOO MUCH for the army to handle

But they would also have the president calling them late at night asking for their help on a top secret mission that he was the only one qualified to accomplish

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

R.L. Stine posted:

:wrong: although I'm thinking with that av you're probably his alt

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

50FA was better than Hellbastard because there was a charming, childlike sincerity to his insane fantasies. HB was boring and faux-edgy and couldn't draw.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
The only thing I actually remember about Hellbastard was I think his dumb comic thread was still active when gbs turned into gbs 2.0 and everyone immediately began ruthlessly dunking on him

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I wasn't around in GBS to understand the culture of the time, but I've never understood how Hellbastard got popular. The STDH guys make sense to me, because people love telling and listening to tall tales (see: every GBS fart thread, where I think every story posted requires that the fart make a dozen people vomit and a building collapse) as long as they're entertaining, and bizarre walled-garden threads like the Advent Calendar are fun for the participants, but nothing about HB's stuff ever looked remotely funny or interesting.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hellbastard wasn't actually that popular, it was just illegal to troll his thread with things like honestly telling him to stop because he sucked.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hellbastard wasn't actually that popular, it was just illegal to troll his thread with things like honestly telling him to stop because he sucked.

Man oh man. This explains the amazing floodgates of scorn when GBS 2.0 kicked in.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It was a hellbastard of a sea change

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

Man oh man. This explains the amazing floodgates of scorn when GBS 2.0 kicked in.
Literally the only good part of GBS 2.0 was finally abandoning this idea that we have to protect "content creators" simply because they create content.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

FactsAreUseless posted:

Literally the only good part of GBS 2.0 was finally abandoning this idea that we have to protect "content creators" simply because they create content.

Yes but this terribly backfired when people immediately began shredding literally every effort thread and content creator which lead to a bunch of cool threads being abandoned and interesting poster bailing, like colorfinger and that one guy whos username always escapes me but did cool gifs that doubled as sound files.

There is a reasonswhy photoshop threads and the like died off and were rare until fairly recently.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Man I miss everdraed (gifs with sound guy).

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Telsa Cola posted:

Yes but this terribly backfired when people immediately began shredding literally every effort thread and content creator which lead to a bunch of cool threads being abandoned and interesting poster bailing, like colorfinger and that one guy whos username always escapes me but did cool gifs that doubled as sound files.

There is a reasonswhy photoshop threads and the like died off and were rare until fairly recently.

You mean Everdread? Think that was his name.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Zil posted:

You mean Everdread? Think that was his name.

Yeah him. Lot of cool posters bailed.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Telsa Cola posted:

Don't forget the torrents of racism and conservative bullshit which are still subtly pervasive. GBS is pretty good now, but it's not as good as it used to be. GBS 2.0 effectively hailed the death of SA by becoming Boring 4chan.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

Oh yeah, 100 percent. The constant and reflexive threadshitting was obnoxious and kept going way too long.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

And then it swung around again and GBS started idolizing really awful "content creators" like Spinster and Applewhite

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Alaois, White Noise Given Flesh and Purpose posted:

And then it swung around again and GBS started idolizing really awful "content creators" like Spinster and Applewhite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mostly what I remember about GBS 2.0 was the coordinated effort to flood the forum with trans hate within like an hour of the rules change.