Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can detect a failed load from the page, which some anti-blocker stuff does, but it’s much harder to do that with a substituted image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My pi decided to stop being connectible over Ethernet entirely, which is how I manage it as a headless unit. I hooked it up to a monitor & keyboard and it seems to work fine that way. Do I have options besides wiping the SD card and starting fresh?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Lots of options

Wireless network
Wired serial connection
Bluetooth serial dongle

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

To be clear I'm pretty sure this is a software rather than a hardware issue, and if it's a hardware issue I'll just buy another Pi and slap my SD card into it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Do the simple stuff like resetting your router and rebooting the Pi, your computer, etc. first too. I've noticed my router is pretty poo poo and will stop routing things correctly after a long time, or it gets confused if I reboot a device a lot.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

A better first step is to flash a new sd card and test Ethernet without destroying your current installation.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My pi loves to randomly decide it can't go on the internet anymore so I have to reboot it. One of the things I hate about linux is that I don't know enough about it to really troubleshoot when I'm doing something according to a guide but it just doesn't work. Like I'm having an issue with my media server saying it can't access my media drive even though the user is in the group that has read access to the drive. I try to do things the right way, but some archaic thing that made sense to some guy in 1976 prevents it from happening and I just end up having things run as root because at least it works.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
This is like saying you don't like a book because you don't know how to read. Get literate, or use Windows. Linux design decisions, on the whole aren't any less sensible than Windows or macos

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I’d credit trying to get a Pi to do a thing with giving me some basic Linux training, though about half the time I solve my problems by giving up on getting the Pi to do it at all or by reinstalling the OS.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

LRADIKAL posted:

Linux design decisions, on the whole aren't any less sensible than Windows or macos
:thunk:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

doctorfrog posted:

I’d credit trying to get a Pi to do a thing with giving me some basic Linux training, though about half the time I solve my problems by giving up on getting the Pi to do it at all or by reinstalling the OS.

I mean...

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Alright, well I bought another microSD card and tried a fresh install of Raspbian, and it seems to be able to use ethernet just fine. Not looking forward to trying to migrate my installation though. Too bad dmesg isn't telling me anything helpful about this.

mewse
May 2, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Alright, well I bought another microSD card and tried a fresh install of Raspbian, and it seems to be able to use ethernet just fine. Not looking forward to trying to migrate my installation though. Too bad dmesg isn't telling me anything helpful about this.

Compare /etc/interfaces and /etc/dhclient.* on the two images

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Klyith posted:

I'm not a networks person so I couldn't tell you why they did it like that [......] Maybe some ads served by javascript might start looping requests when they got a connection reset. (that is a guess completely pulled out of my rear end)
I guess it might be faster if there's some latency between you and pi hole because browser will cache the 1px image response for (some) requests.

It being there for anti-adblock is another possibility, though in practice I haven't had an issue with pi-hole even on sites that I know will detect and whinge about u-block (also, any anti-adblock scripts that can be triggered by failure to load the ad, would also trigger anytime that happened because of connectivity issues - browser adblock actually replaces content in the page so it's a lot easier to detect without false-positives).

doctorfrog posted:

I’d credit trying to get a Pi to do a thing with giving me some basic Linux training...
I remember someone saying once that arch-linux can be good for training you to use Linux, and they are sorta right - because you have to set up much of it yourself, you know which components do what, and what will be loving up when something goes wrong (their guides are pretty good too, but it's definitely for advanced users and I would still recommend someone learn the basics on an easy distro before trying it).

For the guy with networking issues, I'd try "systemctl --all" and if any network related services are failing.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!
I have an HP 1102w laser printer shared via a windows 10 pc on my home network. Networking the printer with WiFi is a pain because half the time it loses WiFi access and randomly stops working. I want to move the printer to a more convenient part of the house, but the Windows computer isn't moving with it.

How hard would it be to set up an appliance-like Raspberry Pi 2 print server for windows and macOS clients? I have enough Linux experience that I can more or less find my way around. I have zero CUPS experience.

Preferably, this would just "work" most of the time (95%).

Alternatively, is it more reliable to just buy something to act as the adapter?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://support.google.com/a/answer/3179170?hl=en
Anything that runs Chrome can be a cloud print server.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Back in maybe the 2.4 or 2.2 kernel days Linux made sense. Trouble is design philosophy on programs started to fracture. These days maybe nine out of ten tutorials are wrong because things are constantly changing. At best there is a trail of breadcrumbs in the form of deprecated config files with comments. At worst, following a tutorial will seem right until it turbofucks the system.

Incidentally I'm still trying to build TensorFlow on my Orange Pi 3. It's like playing a game of chess by email. Make a move then wait a day or so.
So far I have built the correct version of bazel and got a build that doesn't fail... Or end. Day 3 so far. At very least it's a good burn in exercise I guess.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

General_Failure posted:

Incidentally I'm still trying to build TensorFlow on my Orange Pi 3. It's like playing a game of chess by email. Make a move then wait a day or so.
So far I have built the correct version of bazel and got a build that doesn't fail... Or end. Day 3 so far. At very least it's a good burn in exercise I guess.

Is this a personal challenge, or is TF really hard to cross-compile?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Like we mentioned, compiling massive software on a memory constrained device is going to be an exercise in frustration. Learn how to setup a cross compiler toolchain that runs on an Intel device and throw more memory and resources at the problem. Prepare yourself as it's even more fiddly and annoying, but look at tools like crosstoolng and dockcross to help:
- https://crosstool-ng.github.io/
- https://github.com/dockcross/dockcross

If you're on Windows or OSX too, switch to a live CD of Ubuntu. You can probably make things work on OSX but there are weird edge cases and issues with its unix system. With a heroic (or stupid) amount of work maybe you can make it work in Windows 10 linux subsystem, but again you're pushing a turd up hill. Make things as easy as possible and get a good build environment setup. Get a simple hello world cross compiling and running on the Pi, then go for Tensorflow, etc.

Your frustration stems from the fact that you're trying to do something new and novel with Tensorflow. They never designed it to build on small memory constrained devices. When faced with this problem you have two choices:
- Decide you know more than the Tensorflow team and will get it to compile and run on a device they never intended it to work with.
- Decide that the path you're on isn't tennable and try something else. There's a new Tensorflow Lite version for example that perhaps could run whatever model you train on a bigger more capable device. Or maybe you just use the Pi to collect data and send it to a Kubernetes cluster you build and run in AWS/GCE/Digital Ocean/etc. to do all the Tensorflow magic. Or maybe you can get a cross compilation toolchain setup and get a build that does run on the device.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Oh, I could cross compile TensorFlow except that my only Intel devices right now are roughly decade old netbooks. The OPi3 is way faster, has more RAM, and a larger, faster hard drive.

Yes, I'm doing it because I can. Maybe. Don't remember if I said but it's TF2.0 I'm building.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I'd really suggest spinning up a large instance on EC2 and going wild there. Sure it might cost $1 but that will save you weeks of pain. You're trying to take gigabytes of source code and compile it on a computer that only has 1-2GB of memory. The poor machine is swapping to disk like crazy (if swap is even enabled) and even SD cards are too slow to be useful.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

If you're on Windows or OSX too, switch to a live CD of Ubuntu.
If you're on windows just use WSL.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

I'd really suggest spinning up a large instance on EC2 and going wild there. Sure it might cost $1 but that will save you weeks of pain.

Never heard of it. Interesting.

quote:

You're trying to take gigabytes of source code and compile it on a computer that only has 1-2GB of memory. The poor machine is swapping to disk like crazy (if swap is even enabled) and even SD cards are too slow to be useful.
2GB. Using a USB3.0 hard drive with /home and /tmp mapped to it. The latter is because Bazel.
It also has an 8GB swap partition on it, and of course there's zram. While most things on it have been completing their builds fine, a couple have over 60 hours logged so far.

Of course today I found some aarch64 related tweaks. Tempted to bail on the current build. Also did some digging around. I couldn't find a working T720 Mali userspace OpenCL driver :(

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The RasPi has everything on the USB bus, it can't even max out a USB 2.0 port

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
True, but this is the Orange Pi 3. It has USB3.0. I think it's just the one port and a hub like the RPis (Zero excl) but it seems to be pretty good with throughput.
Only really used it headless. Desktop with legacy kernel Debian seems okay but I only used it briefly.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

What kind of madman makes pie out of oranges???

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

BattleMaster posted:

What kind of madman makes pie out of oranges???

Have you never eaten a meringue pie before? You're missing out, bud.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Coxswain Balls posted:

Have you never eaten a meringue pie before? You're missing out, bud.

This is violence against a pie crust. That pie could have been a blueberry, apple, or even cherry pie until you snuffed out its options, stole its youth and hope, reduced it to the abomination we see before us now.

Merengue pies aren’t monsters, their bakers are.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I just remembered I got a Pi a couple Christmases ago, felt intimidated, put it aside and promptly forgot about it. Dug it out on Friday and have spent the weekend tinkering. Good fun! I have most of the kinks worked out on Retropie, I’m floored at how well PSX emulation works! If only it could do PS2 it would be perfect.

I kinda want a second one to make into a handheld :getin:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
If anyone has any advice concerning the ARM specific CentOS distro for the Pi, please heave you wisdom upon me.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Why?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey I'm stuck in a college course involving loving around with a Pi's networking with no textbook and a shotty professor, along with only a passing knowledge of networking. Is there a good resource that explains how DHCP servers work? All the stuff I can find online is specialized to specific applications and/or assumes you know what you're doing already

mewse
May 2, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Hey I'm stuck in a college course involving loving around with a Pi's networking with no textbook and a shotty professor, along with only a passing knowledge of networking. Is there a good resource that explains how DHCP servers work? All the stuff I can find online is specialized to specific applications and/or assumes you know what you're doing already

DHCP is kinda simple, your dhcp client sends an ethernet broadcast asking for dhcp and then the server replies with an ip, subnet mask, gateway, dns servers, etc etc. Everything else, configuration wise, is software specific. They want you to set up dhcpd or something?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah basically. The first part is setting up a bridge so an ethernet WAN is broadcast as a wireless access point. That part works. Then we have to use isc-dhcp-server to set up a limited pool of accesses. The problem is that I when I set up the subnet in dhcpd.conf, it doesnt like it. If the interface is br0, it says something else is already connected, if its given wlan0 or eth0 it doesnt connect it to the subnet (because they have no address?) Sorrt if that doesnt make sense, I only sorta get whats going on. I can post the actual errors tommorrow when I het another crack at it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Config method has changed in the 15 yrs since I messed with linux heavily but when I set up my pi-hole a couple months ago I had to configure a static ip in /etc/dhcpcd.conf which is the config file for the dhcp client -- which is absurd since setting a static ip is basically the opposite of grabbing one from dhcp.

In debian it used to be that you configured your network interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces which made a lot more sense. Looks like in raspbian now that file just has a comment saying to edit dhcpcd.conf

e: now get off my lawn

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I assume you're using rasbian? Everything debian should mostly apply. So you dont need to specifically use rapberry pi guides.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You'll probably get the most help out of googling "ubuntu *whatever your problem is*"

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
If it's not the primary thing you're learning, I'd buy one of these and avoid trying to get the Pi to do it entirely: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Portable-Travel-Router/dp/B00TQEX8BO

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

You'll probably get the most help out of googling "ubuntu *whatever your problem is*"

Honestly yes, this

Also don't forget that not all networking equipment works as advertised; your router could have bad firmware or be misconfigured, or set to static IP only

If you want the true technical explanation, go to the source: https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2131.txt

RFCs are great for debugging weird problems because it's the original spec and companies try to match them closely

Edit: the DHCP RFC has been ammended later by at least 4 other RFCs either adding features or clarifying things so check those out too. Google has unusually good search coverage of ietf RFCs, for good reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Coffee And Pie posted:

I just remembered I got a Pi a couple Christmases ago, felt intimidated, put it aside and promptly forgot about it. Dug it out on Friday and have spent the weekend tinkering. Good fun! I have most of the kinks worked out on Retropie, I’m floored at how well PSX emulation works! If only it could do PS2 it would be perfect.

I kinda want a second one to make into a handheld :getin:

There are plenty of options out there to do exactly that.

I think I have nine ARM SBCs now. drat. That's a lot. I may have a problem. I'm also waiting for the Jetson nano to be released. Then I can have ARM, CUDA, and OpenGL in one package.

I caved and dragged my PC out of storage. No idea where I'm going to put even the tower. Had to give up on trying to build TensorFlow for arm64. It just didn't want to build. Pretty much everything else did though. I even got PyBrain working on the Orange Pi 3 last night.
Right now I'm trying to build OpenCL for VC on my RPi Zero because why not. Link: https://github.com/doe300/VC4CL
I saw an article going on about it on a Pi3B+ and dug deeper because AFAIK they all have the same VideoCore guts. It seems like an amazing way to utilise an RPi Zero.