Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Even the best yellow belt in the world is still real bad at judo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok. Thanks for the advice. I'll get myself to the dojo on Wednesday night. Last question: Would it be better form to wear my white belt since I'm basically starting over? My sensei will probably have a quick look at me to make sure I remember what I'm supposed to.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Travic posted:

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I'll get myself to the dojo on Wednesday night. Last question: Would it be better form to wear my white belt since I'm basically starting over? My sensei will probably have a quick look at me to make sure I remember what I'm supposed to.

You earned the yellow belt. Wear the yellow belt.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Agreed. You earned the rank. If you were changing schools, I'd ask but same school, it shouldn't be in question.

And I'll echo everyone else, don't worry about your age or shape. That's why you're going to train.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Travic posted:

I only look askance at returning color belts if they start handing out bad advice or acting like tools to lower belts who are smoking them because of their long hiatus. Be humble and no one should have an issue with you wearing the rank you earned before.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok. That makes me feel better. And maybe I had unrealistic expectations. I kind of felt that if I learned a throw I should be able to execute it every time. I never could throw a resisting opponent.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Travic posted:

Ok. That makes me feel better. And maybe I had unrealistic expectations. I kind of felt that if I learned a throw I should be able to execute it every time. I never could throw a resisting opponent.

The main underlying critera for yellow belt in my region is "can you make a hip throw and a foot sweep work" and "would it be safe to send you to a tournament." In other words, we give it out to show that you've learned something. The fact that you can evaluate the shortcomings in your techniques is actually a sign that you know some things.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

CommonShore posted:

The main underlying critera for yellow belt in my region is "can you make a hip throw and a foot sweep work" and "would it be safe to send you to a tournament." In other words, we give it out to show that you've learned something. The fact that you can evaluate the shortcomings in your techniques is actually a sign that you know some things.

That's good to know. Thanks :) For us to earn a yellow belt you need to be able to execute 4 basic throws, 3 ground holds, the different ways to fall safely, and a host of vocabulary of pertinent terms. What I really want to learn is "Ok that throw didn't work, but now they're off balance so try this throw!"

Travic fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 27, 2019

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Travic posted:

That's good to know. Thanks :) For us to earn a yellow belt you need to be able to execute 4 basic throws, 3 ground holds, the different ways to fall safely, and a host of vocabulary of pertinent terms. What I really want to learn is "Ok that throw didn't work, but now they're off balance so try this throw!"

Well yeah, that kind of combination attacking is something that comes with time. I teach it early.

In all honesty the rubric for most people is just a formality. Ours has 9 throws, 2 holds, and 2 escapes. If out of those 9 throws someone can do 2 of them reasonably well, 4 of them with shaky confidence, and then fumbles through the last 3, that's fine. The grading is based on the whole performance - and your performance in the club day to day - not on the minutae of the exact execution you did when someone was standing there with a clipboard.

Again, ask yourself - "do I know some judo?" And the answer, I can tell just from chatting with you, is "yes." That's a yellow belt. You earned it. The difference between that yellow belt and a black belt is now showing up for the better part of a decade.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Travic posted:

I'm 33 now. Is that too old to start again?

I started bjj at 32, so nope. Get back in there, get your rear end kicked and enjoy it.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Still doing judo! My unbleached gi came today, wore it to class. Practiced Tai Otoshi a bunch. Actually got thrown today (and got to throw)! It was a Ko-Uchi Makikomi, which was pretty easy to breakfall thankfully. I'm real bad at it, but drat if it isn't fun. A brown belt also showed me how to do a kimura and .. another hold that was very similar to a kimura but his arm was extended instead of bend, not sure what it's called.

I'm addicted. I wonder if there's any cool Judo docs I can watch. I've already seen "Judoka"...

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 28, 2019

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pretty sure Ronda Rousey and Kayla Harris have some form of documentary made about them.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Firstborn posted:

A brown belt also showed me how to do a kimura and .. another hold that was very similar to a kimura but his arm was extended instead of bend

Americana?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I'm guessing straight arm lock, like when they try to straighten out of the kimura.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

ihop posted:

I'm guessing straight arm lock, like when they try to straighten out of the kimura.

Yeah, You're right. My mind just kind of lumped it in with the americana for no good reason.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
the straight armbar is a good sub

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

the straight armbar is a good sub

It's the most cunty sub I have from side control because I'm short, so to properly execute, I have to place my shin on my opponents face as a crossface

butros
Aug 2, 2007

JaySB posted:

It's the most cunty sub I have from side control because I'm short, so to properly execute, I have to place my shin on my opponents face as a crossface

Oh man I got to remember that

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I have some in-laws staying with me who are always annoying people with capoeira talk. The least weinerish of them has expressed a desire to try some grappling with me tomorrow. I’m not sure if he means a chill roll on my garage mats or, like, to fight in a park. I’d be happy with either. If it eventuates, I’ll film it for you guys. My understanding is that he’s a genuinely good capoeira practitioner who’s learned a tiny bit of grappling from a BJJ blue belt.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

:popcorn:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

bobsburgerscapoiera.gif

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i think aikido and judo sound perfect for me. i'm a small dude who wants to be able to use an attacker's force against them if i have to, so i can get them to stop while not hurting them too much, but my main desire is self-improvement and general discipline. my main issues are: i have a bad knee from a skateboarding injury, i'm very shy and very queer. there's a martial arts school very close by, but i'm concerned about how or if i'll be gendered.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Oh here we go

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Just go and try it out and treat it like any other hobby you wanna start. Fightsport folks on the whole are probably no worse or better than the population as a whole. If the gym acts like dicks, theyd probably be dicks to you regardless of your lgbtq status. My gym probably not think anything of it, and the professor would probably drop the hammer on someone who was being a dick to a student.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 31, 2019

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

JaySB posted:

Oh here we go

huh?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Aikido is a bit of a meme around here. Don't worry about it.

Go try Judo first. Judo is good and it involves sparring against resisting opponents. The most important thing is that you feel comfortable at the club you're at.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Martial arts for actual self defense are a topic worthy of your user name.

Short version is, aikido schools don't train against resisting opponents. Having done and enjoyed aikido kn the past, if you actually seriously think you need to protect yourself against physical violence, go elsewhere.

Judo is okay but it's a tough sport and you'll end up taking some bumps and having big dudes fall on you. Let the instructor know you have knee issues.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 31, 2019

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Do jiu-jitsu now, save yourself some time

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Do the sport you wanna do, listen to these guys later if you find it isn't for you. Pay attention to the thread title and accept that you're doing sport, not self defense.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

butros posted:

:popcorn:

He issued a challenge while drinking last night, so today I cleaned the mats and invited him down twice, he made flimsy excuses both times, then I gave up. Blueballed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

He issued a challenge while drinking last night, so today I cleaned the mats and invited him down twice, he made flimsy excuses both times, then I gave up. Blueballed.

Victory!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The mind games worked.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Capoeria is cool and the most useful martial art in that you can bust your sick dance moves in public.

Which is impossible for any other martial art without catching a public indecency or assault charge.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It's true. This is indecent:

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm slowly getting back into Judo after my previous posts, but there is one sore sticking point I've had trouble with since the day I started Judo.

The forward roll into a standing position. It might as well be space magic to me.

I know it's nearly impossible to find out what I'm doing wrong without seeing me, but maybe someone has some pointers. I try it and either I land dead flat with no forward momentum or I get halfway to my feet then screech to a halt and fall to the side. I'm still working to recover my core strength (I have none) and lose a ton of weight (I have lots) but everyone at the dojo says that shouldn't matter.

It's not a super critical thing, but it really bothers me that this is day one judo stuff I just can't do. It is immensely frustrating and embarrassing.

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004
"Rem Koolhaas is the Darth Vader of architecture."

Travic posted:

The forward roll into a standing position. It might as well be space magic to me.

More forward momentum? Ensure you roll over your shoulder and not your head, but that might not be the problem. I always take a step or two into it prior to roll, the hand on the same shoulder I’m rolling over is typically raised up above the shoulder, then snaps down when I commit to the roll.

Pretty much automatically stand up if you’re a bit snappy like that, but I’m also a noob.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Have someone record you trying to do a forward roll? Don't have to show us but it might help you figure out what you need to fix.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Landing flat sounds like you start out properly curled and then flop open once you go over your shoulders. You need to stay curled up all the way through.

Losing balance at the end suggests your center of mass – hips, basically – aren't on top of your base when you try to get up, so you keel over. You need to tuck your tailbone in instead of leaving it hanging behind you.

So basically a posture issue. Core workouts for better stability might help. You can also try going faster, the extra momentum tends to make rolling easier.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Thanks. I'll give those suggestions a try. If possible I'd like to practice this at home so I can work on it a little every day. I have soft carpet, but I'll try and find something softer to roll on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Travic posted:

Thanks. I'll give those suggestions a try. If possible I'd like to practice this at home so I can work on it a little every day. I have soft carpet, but I'll try and find something softer to roll on.

If you have a yard that you're pretty sure you wouldn't roll and land on a rock or dog poop that'd work out. Dirt and grass is pretty forgiving.