Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I am now rewriting my memories to make this canon, while also keeping Puri as a gay man who is attracted to other men (particularly twinks) in a fully consensual manner.

Re-writing my memories so that he’s only in prison for indescent exposure (cause he always seems to lose all his clothes when fighting) and he takes the guilty plea with jail time so he can better help reform the prisoners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Parrotine posted:

I wish Watchdog Man would leave his stoop for five minutes for one good fight at the monster den but we all know there'd be nothing left for the other heroes to fight then :(
STOOP DOG'S AFRAID TO LEAVE HIS STOOP.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
This comic has always driven me crazy because i had no idea what the point of it was

Murata's extreme high effort art just makes this even more apparent

Like yeah we know caped baldy got too strong and is lonely partly because of it, but the bigger idea I think is that he was lonely (and had no real interests) before he got strong... every other S tier hero has a very weird and distinctive persona that reflects their interests/backgrounds but Saitama is just Strong, and once he became Strong there was still nothing else. The comic still really confuses me for some reason but idk it's entertaining enough.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

No Wave posted:

This comic has always driven me crazy because i had no idea what the point of it was

Like yeah we know caped baldy got too strong and is lonely partly because of it, but the bigger idea I think is that he was lonely (and had no real interests) before he got strong... every other S tier hero has a very weird and distinctive persona that reflects their interests/backgrounds but Saitama is just Strong, and once he became Strong there was still nothing else. The comic still really confuses me for some reason but idk it's entertaining enough.

Saitama is a man with depression who found out fulfilling a life-long ambition didn't remove the underlying cause of the depression.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hell, if anything, it probably made it actively worse. Until Genos and other peeps started getting into his social circle of sorts.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
OPM is about how having the job of your dreams and being drat good at it won't really help you with your depression unless you also have a healthy amount of social interaction and a bunch of friends to hang with.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

OPM is about a man who can defeat anyone in one punch.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What will happen when he meet someone who he can't beat in one punch? The manga's title will be a lie.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

No Wave posted:

It’s just a funny webcomic that ONE makes because it’s a good hobby

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Jimbot posted:

What will happen when he meet someone who he can't beat in one punch? The manga's title will be a lie.

He had to punch Boros multiple times.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Jimbot posted:

We’ve already seen this happen

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(Ă¢Â–Â°Ă‹Â˜vĂ‹Â˜Ă¢Â–Â°)
He didn't even beat Boros in one punch

He is such a poser

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Zzulu posted:

He is such a poser

Boros was enjoying himself so much, Saitama didn't really want to ruin his fun too quickly.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Captain Cappy posted:

He had to punch Boros multiple times.

quote:

had to

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Zzulu posted:

He is such a poser

Saitama didn’t REALLY punch him until the end. The other ones were love taps because Saitama wanted a bit of a fight. I mean, he has dreams about fighting extremely strong monsters that actually challenge him so obviously he is bored of ending everything in one punch.
Saitama finally meets someone who can take a love tap so he gets a bit of exercise in before deciding to end it in an actual punch that was so powerful it killed Boros despite not even actually touching him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Saitama used several normal punches on Boros. He even called them out beforehand.

It only took one serious punch but the comic isn't called One (Serious) Punch Man.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just because he can defeat anything with one punch doesn't mean he wants to.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The point of Boros was to show a final boss. You get two things: A ridiculous setup (the guy who's travelled the galaxy looking for a fight, he has fought the best warrior of planets, plural), and the punchline, no pun intended, that Saitama was not fighting seriously. So you have the cake and eat it too, a fight that takes more than one punch with the subtext that Saitama was not fighting seriously, as Boros himself states. This is also in-line with the fact that Saitama avoids one-shotting humanoids that don't immediately bore him with a monster-like discourse. See: Garou running into him, the bald criminal leader that Sonic had to kill, Sonic himself, and so on. He even gives Boros an out, asking him if he's satisfied, and ultimately he only does a serious punch on Boros' threat to the planet. Boros essentially dies to his own attack. It's the OPM equivalent of having a villain die falling off a cliff.

OPM and Mob are about a lot of things but they share a common theme of alienation, although in different stages of life. Boros exists to get that "final boss" out of the way early and the manga ever since has been focusing more on the side characters and their struggles as well as Saitama's growth in his social life.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

skaianDestiny posted:

Saitama is a man with depression who found out fulfilling a life-long ambition didn't remove the underlying cause of the depression.

Wark Say posted:

Hell, if anything, it probably made it actively worse. Until Genos and other peeps started getting into his social circle of sorts.

Lt. Lizard posted:

OPM is about how having the job of your dreams and being drat good at it won't really help you with your depression unless you also have a healthy amount of social interaction and a bunch of friends to hang with.

I really love this interpretation. I think if you reread the comic, you see saitama transition from a depressed lonely person, to someone great friends going on adventures. This all came about because he put himself out there, his hobby could have been one of lonely pursuit of justice but he actively chose to do superhero stuff with other people.

The power of friendship. I don't know what would happen to Saitama if one of his friends dies. I can't recall any heroes close to him dying. It would be tragic if he became the ultimate villain.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I want to get out of the way now, that Saitama’s only real friend is King. Maaaaybe Genos. Everyone else is a business acquaintance.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Everyone that was in the hotpot chapter is a friend.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Parrotine posted:

I wish Watchdog Man would leave his stoop for five minutes for one good fight at the monster den but we all know there'd be nothing left for the other heroes to fight then :(
I honestly like to think that WDM would terrorize the MA if he wasn't such a good boy protecting his turf. If he and Metal Bat could just walk into here it would be a done deal no other heroes required.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Billzasilver posted:

I want to get out of the way now, that Saitama’s only real friend is King. Maaaaybe Genos. Everyone else is a business acquaintance.

Fubuki paid* for his meal once, that basically makes her his bestie.

*Saitama foisted the bill on her, but same difference.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Billzasilver posted:

Even if they're not friends per se, it's still an exponential increase in social interaction than he ever had.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Mumen Rider actually, intentionally, paid for his meal once.

Plus he sent him his only fan mail.

He's too busy with his hero work for socializing, unlike the S-class (and Fubuki) types, but still, it's there.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Oh yeah mumen rider and saitama are real friends too. Mumen rider is just so busy with work all the time :sigh:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

No Wave posted:

OPM is about a punch being thrown eventually with exponentially more and more filler between them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not only is KING Saitama's true best bud, he's the only man Saitama cannot defeat in the true combat arena... Video Games...

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

RareAcumen posted:

OPM is about a punch being thrown eventually with exponentially more and more filler between them.

And I am completely fine with that.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I'm pretty sure you're confusing Saitama with Luffy.

Or Dr Whatshisface and Bang are also Saitamas best friends, when clearly it's King.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Man with Hat posted:

I'm pretty sure you're confusing Saitama with Luffy.

no Saitama definitely did that

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
That chapter where King was listening and giving advice to Saitama (and also calling his bullshit) really established him as the best pal. It's probably my favorite chapter since then.

Billzasilver posted:

Genos means well but he's not as mature as King.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
One Punch Man has been turning into a harem anime.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

are you referring to Fubuki or Genos/Sonic?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yes

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

RareAcumen posted:

This is entirely acceptable especially zombieman who is second best boy Watchdogman is automatically best boy

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

This is entirely acceptable especially zombieman who is second best boy Watchdogman is automatically best boy
This man speaks the truth

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Zombieman is like something out of Berserk or Blade of the Immortal. Someone who gets brutalized in a wave of ultra-violence and gore, but the just gets up and gets put back together and his battle is one of attrition. I thoroughly enjoyed his chapter and wish there was more of it.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

He's literally a tyrant from resident evil but attractive and I love it. Him bending the bars sealing the room after killing the vampire monster was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sweet mask finally showing his power was a big disappointment tbh. It's rare in this manga but that was pretty blah after waiting so long.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 27, 2019